Mwo Intel Gathering: Battlemech Variants

314 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:40 PM

Greetings MechWarriors!

As mentioned in our new MWO Dev Vlog HERE, we are looking for your input! This will be a regular occurrence of course, as we seek your wisdom in regards to 'Mechs, maps, modes, and many other topics along this journey.

First up, we'd love to hear from you with regards to what new 'Mech variants you would like to see from the existing chassis already in the game. Have a particular variant that you think worthy? Let us know! Please be as detailed as you can, including the full variant name, suggested hardpoints, and why you think that variant is important and what it would add to the game. Sell us on it, so we can sell it to the team!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Have a great weekend and happy hunting MechWarriors!

#2 Tyrask Hazen

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:01 AM

atlas 2- you could build one on existing chasis I'm sure but cosmeticly it would be cool
-
Gausszilla- 5gauss annihilator. i know it would be hard to do without doing mix tech
-
kingcrab kcg-011 this the most likely to do of all my choices as it's 100% within the parameters you set out. this way we could do dual lbx20 in the arms. with clan mechs doing why not have the KC
-
black hawk and Rakshasa. should be easy to do. basically the IS version of clan mechs. just make small changes and make them IS battlemechs.
-
now this last one would be a little out of the box of this question. but the mech i want most in the game is the madcat mk3 it looks almost exactly like the regular timberwolf but a medium mech. just scale it down and small changes. your done.
-
thanks for reading this and excepting input. cant wait to see new mechs in the game.
Tyrask Hazen. PhD

Edit: i talked with some unit mates and figured a way to make gausszilla work. give it 4 gauss rifles instead of 5. give it a quirk to alow it to shoot 3 gauss at once. the trade off could be a lower engine cap. this would balance the lore aspect of it. when you guys balanced the game to stop 3/4 gauss at one time it was before we had heavygauss with 50 pinpoint. i dont thing 45 pinpoint is to bad at range when its as slow as an annihilator or slower.

Edited by Tyrask Hazen, 17 January 2021 - 09:08 AM.

#3 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:15 AM

Very glad to see you considering more variants!

Can you tell us more about what is viable? Since you say existing chassis, I assume you're trying to make more mechs without needing to have a 3D artist spend much time. Or does this need to involve no artist at all?

Are you only considering variants that actually exist in Battletech Lore? Or would you consider any possible combination?

Are there technical issues with putting different weapon hardpoints on existing mechs? For example, the Marauder II has variants with 2 energy hardpoints in the right torso. One appears above the center torso, and another is built into the right torso. Could a new variant potentially have such an energy hardpoint on the left torso? Or would that require an artist to get involved?

Please tell us more so that people don't spend ages suggesting things that aren't viable right now!

#4 Pajama Boy

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:22 AM

I'm gonna say we should get the Owens in this game. As a MW4 and MA fan I gotta be on brand and suggest the most nostalgic stuff first haha.

In all seriousness though, adding more variants adds more redundancy. The difference between the individual mechs should still be distinct and if we add more variants some of that distinction may disappear so I think new mechs should be the priority if we want new ways to play.

I'm serious about the Owens as an addition and think it's a great way to make up for the weaknesses of the Jenner family right now. As an IS omnimech you would be able to customize it in any way you wish, dropping missile boxes in favor of lasers or ballistics with the addition of engine swapping. Could become a really powerful IS light. Would love to see it.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Owens

#5 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:30 AM

Clanbuster KGC-001

After how many years of Tukayyid, we still have yet to have a this hero variant of the KGC. There is absolutely no reason why this cant be in the game, with custom bolt-ons.
And since we have had the time period jump, no excuse as to why the KGC-005 cant be in the game either with dual LBX20's.

#6 Zimm Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 232 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:32 AM

For my beloved Shadowcat, I request the ability to recreate the MW3 murder machine of 16 odd Small Lasers. Gimme those Laser Hardpoints! Please!

Now, if we were talking new chassis entirely (which I know we're not, but... Can't blame a guy for trying), Savage Wolf. Gotta get in on the Hour of the Wolf good vibes and that thing is a beauty!

But seriously. More, entirely unbalanced, Shadowcat laser Hardpoints. Please

#7 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:39 AM

View PostFobhopper, on 16 January 2021 - 12:30 AM, said:

Clanbuster KGC-001

After how many years of Tukayyid, we still have yet to have a this hero variant of the KGC. There is absolutely no reason why this cant be in the game, with custom bolt-ons.

KGC-001 is already a thing. They introduced it over a year ago with MW5 pre-orders lmao

#8 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:39 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 15 January 2021 - 11:40 PM, said:

As mentioned in our new MWO Dev Vlog HERE, we are looking for your input! This will be a regular occurrence of course, as we seek your wisdom in regards to 'Mechs, maps, modes, and many other topics along this journey.

Just post a text version.

First up, we'd love to hear from you with regards to what new 'Mech variants you would like to see from the existing chassis already in the game. Have a particular variant that you think worthy? Let us know! Please be as detailed as you can, including the full variant name, suggested hardpoints, and why you think that variant is important and what it would add to the game. Sell us on it, so we can sell it to the team!

This game has hundreds of 'Mechs. That's not a problem.

The problem is that there is nothing meaningful to do with those 'Mechs except circle around one rock in the center of the map or nascar around HPG station in the center of the map.

Thus, there is no point in buying new 'Mechs since I can nascar equally well in 'Mechs that I already own.

#9 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,574 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:47 AM

Clanbuster KGC-001

Is already in the game, it was part of the pre-order bonuses for MW5, you can buy it for C-Bills too.

#10 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:00 AM

Clanbuster KGC-001

was one of the MW5 preorder variants - is already in the game.

personally I'd like to see the DRG-7N, it's a severely underused chassis rn and could use an addition.
leave the hardpoints at 1 per weapon, it still enables a 2UAC10 + PPC dragon which might be good, but not too overpowered
for quirks I'd recommend 15% ballistic cooldown, 5% AC5 cooldown, 20% missile cooldown and 15% energy cooldown (DRG-5N survival quirks)

AS7-K2 and AS7-K3 (latter one especially, JJ atlas is sth needed imho)
AS7-K2 hardpoints: RT: 2B LT: 2M RA: 2E 1AMS LA: 2E 1AMS everything else none
AS7-K2 quirks: 5% laser duration, 10% ERLL cooldown, 10% Gauss cooldown, 10% missile cooldown (also AS7-K survival quirks)
AS7-K3 hardpoints: RT: 1B LT: 2M RA: 2E 1AMS LA: 2E 1AMS everything else none
AS7-K3 quirks: 5% energy range, 10% Gauss cooldown, 5% missile cooldown (normal AS7-K survival quirks) (I deliberately made these quirks a bit weaker while also having a ballistic less compared to the K2 to balance the JJs)

why these are important?
DRG-7N brings some viability to the chassis by adding some variety with bigger dakka
AS7-K3 is a jumping atlas and I think we can all agree that is something we need. it is still not overpowered at all bc the atlas is not a super strong mech rn anyways.
AS7-K2 is the middleground between AS7-K and AS7-K3 so it only makes logical sense to me adding it

Edited by TheUltimateGhost, 16 January 2021 - 01:00 AM.

#11 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:01 AM

I'm really glad to see discussions of new content—even just variants of existing chassis—being added to the game, but there really aren't that many things that would be unique or interesting compared to the hundreds of variants already in the game. Hero mechs or other apocryphal variants could help a little; new quirks could help a lot. But, assuming those are off the table...

COM-7B Commando - It'd need to have the stock build changed a bit to accomodate MWO's lack of a small cockpit, but stock builds have been tweaked slightly before. There's only one mech in the game lighter than 30T that has jump jets, so while I'd prefer a Wasp, this would be a unique option among IS mechs.

DRG-1G Grand Dragon - People have been asking for this as a Dragon variant since the game was in beta. Wouldn't be anything special without quirks, but it could be a fun fast poker.

LCT-5M Locust - The Firemoth is easily one of the most frequently requested mechs I see. Going fast is fun. This isn't a Firemoth, but it would still go so fast it would probably break the game, and people would buy it just to be dumb and run around with practically no firepower. Myself included...

VT-5S, FS9-M3, TDR-10SE - Anything with MASC, really. It's a really fun game mechanic, but there aren't that many mechs that can mount it—and I'd hesitate to call any of them good, aside from the Flea and Shadowcat.

JR7-A Jenner - Just my personal pet choice. It'd be just as horrible as the other variants of my favorite chassis, but it'd be kinda fun to play a JR7-F that had all the guns on one side.

...And if Heroes/apocryphal variants are on the table, I would like a dual heavy gauss Battlemaster. That's all I got.

#12 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:01 AM

Grand Dragon and it's variants.

#13 Annihilator

• PipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:05 AM

Hunchback 5P , it has 8 energy hardpoint and an Ecm. It carries six Er medium lasers and two medium pulse lasers. Left torso 3 (er med laser), right torso 3(er med laser) , left arm 1(med pulse laser), right arm 1(med pulse laser). And ecm in the center torso.

#14 trajan331

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:13 AM

Tried to find variant ideas that were a bit different than anything we already had.

Hunchback-5S and 6S one would have jump jet ports. The other would have a larger engine making it fast. 6S would combine missile and ballistic slots.

Commando-4H with 4+ Missile slots.

Panther-16K

Wolfhound-3M Wolfhound with Ballistic slot

Mist Lynx-P (8 Energy slots across the pods)

Adder-S(6 Ballistic Slots in Arms + Energy Slots)

Blackjack-5(2E +1B in each arm)

Phoenix Hawk-7S (MASC slot)

Vindicator-4L(ECM slot, Stealth armor)

Viper-F(8B slots + E Slots)

Dragon-7N(Gauss + MRM's)

Rifleman-7M(ECM slot)

Catapult-H2(8M slots + 3E slots)

Thunderbolt-7SE(ECM + JJ)

Grasshopper-7K(ECM + all E slots)

Marauder-7D(ECM)

Mad Dog-F(Though we don't have HAG's, would love to see them though, this could be set up as a variant with multiple B slots in Arms or Torso)

Linebacker-I and H(One with 6B slots and the other with JJ's)

Nova Cat-F(JJ + ECM)

Timber Wolf-BH(ECM + All Energy slots)

Awesome-9Q(ECM)

Victor-10L(ECM)

Stalker-3Fk(6 Missile slots)

Gargoyle-G(4B slots)

Blood Asp-E(4E, 4M + JJ)

Executioner-I(ECM)

Dire Wolf-C(ECM + 3 or more M slots)

#15 El Ares

Rookie

• Generalløytnant
  • 9 posts
  • LocationKassel, GER

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:23 AM

The IS counterpart of the Nova

is a Komodo https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Komodo

great utility with AMS, ECM and Tag + 10 Lazerz Posted Image

#16 Martaloc

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:35 AM

Kai Allard Liao mech, the upgraded Yen Lo Wang.
Right arm gauss rifle,
left arm two medium pulse laser,
center torso two medium laser.
In the books this centurion has stronger muscles for better speed and power,
so in game has to be Masc on him equiped.

Edited by Martaloc, 16 January 2021 - 01:37 AM.

#17 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:51 AM

Faction specific variants of existing Mechs that can be buyed by MCs or earned in Faction Play, they come with bolt on & faction pattern:

Grand Dragon:
Kurita. ER-PPC in the right arm replaces the ballistic hardpoints. Quirks: PPC Heat, Missle & PPC Velocity, PPC & missle cooldown.
Maybe a back banner with Kurita decal?

Zeus X:
Steiner: Gaus Rifle in left arm, LRM 20 in the right, ER-Large Laser & Medium Puls Laser. Quirks: Missle Velocity, Gauss & Missle cooldown.
Comes with back fins (bolt ons)

Other factions?

Edited by Alreech, 16 January 2021 - 01:51 AM.

#18 udoshi

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 01:56 AM

Request 1:
The Spider Anansi needs some love! Its currently one of the worst-est heroes in the game! It should at least be made into a mech that does things other spiders do better and have the option of being flexible - total tonange is its limitation.

Anansi should have:
285 engine cap like the others.
more jump jets or a jump jet quirk (its a hero!)
ams quirks (double ams was its thing, quirk it at least)
a 2nd CT launcher so you at least have the choice of doing the jenner thing of 2srm4 or 1srm6; or at LEAST do the 'awesome 9m' thing of split E/M in the ct so you can picko ne.
2 ballistic hardpoints in each arm, like the 5k.

At 4B, 2m, 2ams and jumpjets/engine you will never have the tonnage to use it.

Request 2:
Omnimech 'set of 8' quirks to get hardbacked or reduced to set of 1-2.

Here's why: It doesn't make any terrible amount of sense that battlemechs, the most unfriendly-and-hard-to-change type of mechs in the fiction and universe get to swap their gear freely (assuming unlimited factory time in between drops) and keep all their quirks where the omnimechs - which easy refits and flexibility are their thing LOSE all their quirks

IF battlemechs were treated like clan mechs, the moment you swap that ac10 out it should lose all quirks because its no longer stock.
omnimechs are supposed to be flexible but punished for using flexibility, battlemechs are inflexible but rewarded for breaking the rules.
See how that's a little unfair?

Tldr; make set of 8 quirks hardbaked, or at least make them 'set of 2, but unlock some in the set at 2-5'. (basically, never count legs and give benefit of doubt on cockpit since it alm)

Additionally, let omnimechs unlock hardlocked parts.
If battlemechs get unlimited factory time between missions omnimechs get it too - so many ****** clan mechs would be fun if you could only drop the engine one MP or ditch a pair of jumpjets for more ammo.

Request 3:
SLDF royal mechs. Give us the good old goodies. Make a theme pack around the best of the best.

Request 4: Phoenix hawk iic, Hauptman, Whitworth. (inspired by this: https://www.sarna.ne...-mechwarrior-5/ ) Loki II. Locust IIC.

Request 5: Jump jets s u c k on anything heavier than a light. Un nerf them to their pre-skill tree stats and shorten/compact the jump jet tree to make it easier. Definitely add 'advanced jump jets' which have more thrust/oomph for tonnage' and next to no heat, but just disable weapons in flight to get about the poptart thing. Also needs a skill node to just get rid of falling damage forever as long as you have a JJ on. (Works for orbital drops, works for 10 foot drops.) Maybe make it the new first jump jet tree node :)

Request 6: 'Scouting mode, only for mediums and heavies'. Same idea, one lance drops, special maps - just do a quick and dirty scout mode hack, up the tonnage and shrink the map/spawn area.Maybe make it auto- Domination themed(so all participants are encourraged to fight ina large circle), call it Brawl.
the game is at its most meaty when its heavy mediums light heavies.the 50-70 ton range.
Maybe consider a 'team captain' position where one person in the drop gets a little more tonnage.

Request 7: Add a 'faction play drop tonnage' reduction for certain elegible mechs that really OUGHT to have a use. Example: I'd love to see a Dragon to be useful in scouting - so it should be given a 5 ton reduction to fit in Scouting since is BASICALLY a fat medium. Ditto for say, the mad dog.
This would also let dropdeck tonnages be finally evened between IS and Clan with problematic offenders nudged up or down 5 tons for certain modes.
(all it really needs is to be seperated by tye)

Request 8: Event que/seperate launch que for 8v8. Just make it a thing already.
Maybe globally tone the hp down a bit.

Request 9: IS omni's.
You've been too scared to introduce IS omni's because that would mean having to address some of the wierd balance consierations or break the favoritis. Get out and over that hump already. Start with the omni-centurion maybe, since its already in game? Or an omni-blackjack. (sarna says thats 3057!) (there's other options : https://www.sarna.ne...phere_OmniMechs ) Design some!

Hope that helps!
Request 10: Hero Omnipods for small MC amounts.
For christ sake, its an absolute crime to force a full mech purchase just for one omnipod. You add loyalty mech parts - just let us buy hero omnipod parts for 50 MC or something if we own it, or double if we dont'! Stupid, fix it.

Request 11: Reasonably priced color packs (50cents or 1$), color patterns (for the same price 9either make it affordable or make it so you get that pattern on EVERYTHING). Unlock prepurchase prizes for all packs - you're cutting off sales! - lower prices to get people playing. Mech prettifiaito needs to be affordable and cheaper. Make mechbays not a thing. Stop charging 3$ tax per mech and instead rake in free to play cash to make robo dollies pretty.
Trust me, I play warframe. There's a market for it.
You give people an option to buy as many boltons as they can fit on a mech for 3-5$ and they'll TAKE it. Way better income stream than whale-fishing for 40+$ mechpacks.

Request 12:
bring back the hero steam mechs as standalone versions.
its an utter crime you aren't selling them. there's some good mechs there that would make fine additions to the lineup (I'm talking about all the mechs from Light, Medium, heavy and Assault I and II packs on steam that aren't on there any more due to the change of name to solaris 7)
All these mechs are in the files for the game already, just make them available for 5$ or what not.
you can view all the packs here: https://web.archive....com/dlc/342200/
and I don't mean bring the packs back, just open the mechs up to being available again since already in game.
These are all mechs that don't really have good representations or options for cbill bonuses around! The full list is:

Lights
Inner Sphere: Raven RVN-3L [S]
Clan: Arctic Cheetah ACH-PRIME [S]
Inner Sphere: Panther PNT-10K(S)
Clan: Mist Lynx MLX-PRIME(S)

Mediums
Inner Sphere: Hunchback HBK-4P [S]
Clan: Stormcrow SCR-PRIME [S]
Inner Sphere: Crab CRB-27B(S)
Clan: Shadow Cat SHC-PRIME(S)

Heavies
Inner Sphere: ThunderBolt TDR-9SE [S]
Clan: Timber Wolf TBR-C [S]
Inner Sphere: Grasshopper GHR-5H(S)
Clan: Ebon Jaguar EBJ-PRIME(S)

Assaults
Inner Sphere: Zeus ZEU-6T [S]
Clan: Warhawk WHK-C [S]
Inner Sphere: King Crab KGC-000B [S]
Clan: Dire Wolf DWF-W [S]

At the very least bring them back for event mech rewards.

Anyway, hope that helps!

#19 MrSerge

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:18 AM

1 Reduce the growth of the scale during the unwinding of the cannons, it grows only during the shooting. For rotary autocannons.

2. increase the damage of the gauss cannons of the sphere by five units

In general - stop sculpting second clans from the sphere by creating mechs with a bunch of lasers, Restore the power of cannons, gauss, etc. And to raise the power of the sphere as an original direction, and not a castrated likeness of clans.

IMHO

#20 catgirl

• PipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCanopus IV

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:43 AM

Just a quick thought, prioritize creating a new variant for mechs that statistically aren't played as much or have less variants than others. Players are only interested in keeping mechs that can consistently perform well in drops just because of their hardpoints (i.e. better to have torso weapons than arm). It can get dull and repetitive seeing the same mech with the same meta build. This will hopefully encourage players to buy more mechbays and expand their mech pool choice.

Few mechs I can think of that don't particularly have a good variant for it yet or just dont seem popular in game to me:
Lights: Firestarter, Jenner/Jenner IIC, Mist Lynx, Osiris, Panther, Spider
Mediums: Centurion, Hellspawn, Kintaro, Trebuchet, Uziel, Vindicator
Heavies: Black Knight, Champion, Dragon
Assaults: Hatamoto-chi, Highlander, King Crab, Victor, Zeus

Edited by catgirl, 16 January 2021 - 02:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users