Mechwarrior Online 2021: Maps

2021 maps

290 replies to this topic

#101 Cluster Fox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationStuck on a rock in Grim Plexus

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:30 AM

A simple suggestion that requires some map making adjustments.

Review all maps that have only ramps that go up counter-clockwise of a central super-cover feature. Ramps should allow to go up both ways ideally. Canyon and Hibernal are best examples of one way ramps. Honestly that's just maps designed for NASCAR.
HPG is a good example of ramps done well.

Dilute the central feature in an array of smaller lower features.

Add chokepoints to rotation movement. This way NASCAR becomes more problematic.

Edited by Cluster Fox, 22 November 2020 - 10:34 AM.

#102 MarsThunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 23 November 2020 - 01:08 AM

View PostCluster Fox, on 22 November 2020 - 10:30 AM, said:

Add chokepoints to rotation movement. This way NASCAR becomes more problematic.

... or something like trenches as I am suggesting for Polar Highlands.

#103 Fruguy

Rookie

• The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:24 AM

Add maps that are not designed to allow a NASCAR to the action.

#104 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 November 2020 - 11:14 AM

View PostFruguy, on 23 November 2020 - 08:24 AM, said:

Add maps that are not designed to allow a NASCAR to the action.
That's not how and why NASCAR happens.

#105 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:43 PM

View PostHorseman, on 23 November 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

That's not how and why NASCAR happens.

It's not the sole reason but bad map design absolutely encourages it

#106 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

No re-spawn encourages Nascar on all maps. It would be WAY more chaotic and warlike to be able fight an endless re-spawn of mechs for an hour like the ole'days or thirty minutes for those with weaker constitutions. Posted Image

#107 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:55 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 23 November 2020 - 04:50 PM, said:

No re-spawn encourages Nascar on all maps. It would be WAY more chaotic and warlike to be able fight an endless re-spawn of mechs for an hour like the ole'days or thirty minutes for those with weaker constitutions. Posted Image

Oh you mean an hour getting farmed at spawn?

#108 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:32 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 November 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

Oh you mean an hour getting farmed at spawn?

You can mitigate spawn camping if the respective spawn areas are off limits with some indestructible defenses. You just have to make sure the spawned mechs are out of LoS. FP doesn't manage this with respawns because the dropships are only there long enough to drop off mechs, so it's not much of a deterrent.

#109 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:21 PM

View Postyrrot, on 23 November 2020 - 05:32 PM, said:

You can mitigate spawn camping if the respective spawn areas are off limits with some indestructible defenses. You just have to make sure the spawned mechs are out of LoS. FP doesn't manage this with respawns because the dropships are only there long enough to drop off mechs, so it's not much of a deterrent.

The effect is functionally the same. Bad team gets pushed in, good camps just outside of danger area and watches all the lanes. EZ farming. Bad team hides and wastes everyone's time. Yawn.

#110 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:17 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 November 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

The effect is functionally the same. Bad team gets pushed in, good camps just outside of danger area and watches all the lanes. EZ farming. Bad team hides and wastes everyone's time. Yawn.

thinking to Battlefield Bad Company 2 and the sniper Camping by Spawnpoints ...

#111 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:32 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 November 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

It's not the sole reason but bad map design absolutely encourages it
No. It would be occurring around ANY terrain feature whatsoever. The only map on which there's no NASCAR would be a completely flat plane with no cover.

NASCAR doesn't start with people running away as some posters claimed, it starts with slow mechs trying to follow the team's fast flankers for no good reason.
And I'm sorry, but there's no way to fix players acting stupid.

Edited by Horseman, 24 November 2020 - 12:34 AM.

#112 Sneakytrig

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 04:46 AM

Generally most of the terrain types one would think of have already been covered.

For those who hate nascar, what about a simpler map, kind of linked to the idea of Boreal Reach in solaris. Obviously with a bit more going on in terms of map details like cover and maybe a side or underground tunnel. That kind of up and down map kind of promotes a pretty straight forward fight where you can just duke it out. Maybe even a wild west theme or something

#113 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:19 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 November 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

It's EZ farming if one team is that much better than the other anyway, even without respawns. That's a matchmaker problem, not a respawn problem.

#114 VileKnight

• PipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 07:25 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

In this thread, lets discuss ideas for updating or adding to our current maps in MechWarrior Online, such as:
  • New Community-Driven Map (Community input from start to finish)
  • Update Unbalanced Maps
  • Spawn Point Fixes

• This might be a small thing, but I would love to see the FP maps made available in private lobby.
  • Like Ragedog4 said, reskins of existing maps would be fun.
  • Doing a pass over the current maps for invisible walls/collisions would be great.
  • Put classic Terra back into rotation, or at least make it available in private lobby.
  • More inclement weather for some of the maps. This would be really fun.
  • Community map idea - I admit that I don't have the skillset to help create a map (but would be willing to help the effort in other ways if I can), but what about an underwater map? Perhaps I am out of my mind, but I recall there being one in MW2:GB that was interesting. I know that the community has some mad scientists hanging around, so we should go for broke on the ideas.

#115 Lieutenant Hedgehog

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON, Canada

Posted 24 November 2020 - 09:59 AM

I said it before I'll say it again, if there's ONE thing that could instantly breathe some life into the game it's a few more maps

FP Maps in Quick Play
New drop zones
Add weather / day time conditions to maps that don't have them

Easy quick wins, which leverage already existing dev work, & would bring some much needed variety to Quick Play while bigger improvements are getting worked on

(off topic, but the PSR tier adjustment for new comers also would be a small change that makes a big difference)

Edited by Lieutenant Hedgehog, 24 November 2020 - 10:01 AM.

#116 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 12:30 PM

View PostHorseman, on 24 November 2020 - 12:32 AM, said:

No. It would be occurring around ANY terrain feature whatsoever. The only map on which there's no NASCAR would be a completely flat plane with no cover.

Lmao, which is why it occurs more on some maps than others.

Lmao, which is why the best qp map is the only one which was the only one specifically designed as a MP map which is the one where Nascar is least common

View Postyrrot, on 24 November 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

It's EZ farming if one team is that much better than the other anyway, even without respawns.

No, it's EZ farming because that's how the mechanics of MWO and shooters in general work.

View Postyrrot, on 24 November 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

That's a matchmaker problem, not a respawn problem.

Matchmaker is entirely separate from the issue.

Respawns in MWO qp would be absolute hot trash because it would be constant spawn farming.

#117 Augustus Ull

• Pip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 12 posts
  • Location@ my PC

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:07 PM

How about taking the faction play maps and rolling them into quick play? With some tweaks.

#118 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:47 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 24 November 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

Lmao, which is why it occurs more on some maps than others.

Lmao, which is why the best qp map is the only one which was the only one specifically designed as a MP map which is the one where Nascar is least common

No, it's EZ farming because that's how the mechanics of MWO and shooters in general work.

Matchmaker is entirely separate from the issue.

Respawns in MWO qp would be absolute hot trash because it would be constant spawn farming.

How would you know what re-spawning would do? You have zero exp with it.

Farming happens all the time and I see it is constantly used as an excuse to not change the game. Farming happens when the other side is better. Does that mean we need to stop that from happening? Is that what pgi has been doing all the time and using this to justify how to F up the game?

Re-spawning would not only COMPLETELY change the game but it would up the rewards and give new players a reason to keep playing instead of getting one-shotted because they didn't get gud. They may get farmed but at least they can try again before the little bit of 30 minutes runs out.

Are you just trolling because I have seen zero input from you beyond the opposite of what some else is posting? lmao

Edited by Deathshade, 24 November 2020 - 01:50 PM.

#119 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:53 PM

View PostDeathshade, on 24 November 2020 - 01:47 PM, said:

How would you know what re-spawning would do? You have zero exp with it.

I've never played another videogame in my entire life.

Farming happens all the time and I see it is constantly used as an excuse to not change the game. Farming happens when the other side is better. Does that mean we need to stop that from happening? That is what pgi has been doing all the time and using this to justify how to F up the game.

And it gets boring for the people getting farmed, and for the people doing the farming, which leads to more people leaving.

Re-spawning would not only COMPLETELY change the game

Yes. It would. MWO is based entirely around 1 mech per match. All of its mechanics. All of its balance.

but it would up the rewards and give new players a reason to keep playing instead of getting one-shotted because they didn't get gud.

And instead of jumping into a new match they'll spend the next 29 minutes getting one shotted without ever leaving their spawn.

They may get farmed but at least they can try again before the little bit of 30 minutes runs out.

BAHAHAHAHAH Wow that is clueless.

Are you just trolling because I have seen zero input from you beyond the opposite of what some else is posting? lmao

Removing chaff is important.

#120 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 02:18 PM

I'm not even sure why we're talking about respawns in this thread anyway, other than the fact that respawn mechanics in QP would require map redesigns to be viable.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users