313 replies to this topic

#301 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 02 December 2021 - 10:16 AM

View PostPatb095, on 06 May 2021 - 09:31 AM, said:

I've looked at video about MW5 and they look great. I know it's a game comming from the 90's which make me feel back then heheh but MWO should also care about getting new player and that's not going to happen wihtout 2021 up to date graphics.

Upgrading MWOs graphics would IMHO a waste of money with little return of invest.

PGI used a lot of MWOs assets for Mechwarrior 5, based on the Unreal Engine.
Selling new DLCs for MW 5 with Clan Mechs will be more sensible, and after all Mechs are aviable in MW5 a reboot of MWO would be the best way to modernize it.

#302 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 02 December 2021 - 10:45 AM

View PostAlreech, on 02 December 2021 - 10:10 AM, said:

So you know the license agreement between PGI & CryTek?

Or do you just guess from the CryTek/Cloud Imperium Games lawsuit?

I knew nothing about that lawsuit prior to someone else mentioning it. :mellow:

As for knowledge about PGI & CryTek's License Agreement standing, that information was something I picked up on third-hand through other people on these Forums who have good reputations. I think we can safely assume the knowledge to be good, and can therefore safely operate based on it. The only people who could refute it are PGI & CryTek themselves, but neither has stepped forward, which pretty much cements what I've ended up learning. Unfortunately for those at CryTek right now, it's rather destructive for them that they want to keep a company's game hostage to their Game Engine upon initial development and use. :huh:

EDIT :: By the way, a search of MWO (https://mwomercs.com/search?q=crytek) reveals flat confirmation of what I'm stating anyway. Can't really beat that. :o

~D. V. "That lawsuit has zero to do with where my knowledge was acquired, which is other people with good reputation." Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 02 December 2021 - 10:53 AM.

#303 Pax Bellum

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:09 AM

Love the road map. The "definite maybes" are enticing. I would like to add that now that they-who- must-not-be-named have been defeated by sanity could one of those "definite maybes" be a much pined for Clan assault 'mech (STONE RHINO) (was that too subtle?).....

#304 Far Reach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:17 PM

Glad my internet is out. Silly me expecting actual development
and not years of maybe's and possibles, mixed with endless balance changes.
I've run out of patience. Enjoy the palliative MWO.

#305 Darryn Merced

Rookie

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 December 2021 - 01:36 PM

I haven't seen any announcements, are there any of those 'Solution to Faction Play' and 'Solution to Solaris' actions completed or at least progressed?

#306 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:29 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 02 December 2021 - 10:45 AM, said:

I knew nothing about that lawsuit prior to someone else mentioning it. Posted Image

As for knowledge about PGI & CryTek's License Agreement standing, that information was something I picked up on third-hand through other people on these Forums who have good reputations. I think we can safely assume the knowledge to be good, and can therefore safely operate based on it. The only people who could refute it are PGI & CryTek themselves, but neither has stepped forward, which pretty much cements what I've ended up learning.

I picked up information that the moon landings were faked by Stanley Kubrick, and the people who have told me have good reputations in the flat earth forums. Posted Image
The only person who could refute it is Stanley Kubrick, but he hasn't so that pretty much cements what I've ended up learning. Posted Image

CryTeks license to Cloud Imperium Games and the whole lawsuite is public, just read it instead trusting some guys from an internet forum. Posted Image
Normaly such licenses are confidential, so it's an interesting read.

#307 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:07 PM

View PostAlreech, on 16 December 2021 - 02:29 PM, said:

CryTeks license to Cloud Imperium Games and the whole lawsuite is public, just read it instead trusting some guys from an internet forum. Posted Image
Normaly such licenses are confidential, so it's an interesting read.

And you couldn't at least be nice and provide a Link to the Lawsuit that you're talking about? :(

(And that one doesn't speak for the fact that it appears you totally ignored my link to the site-wide search...)

~D. V. "What... No Link to the Lawsuit Article? Not everyone is an internet wizard!!!" Devnull

#308 Bull Buchanan

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:07 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 01 December 2021 - 04:39 PM, said:

With that said, there is one warning... Not everyone can handle that change in Game Engine on their computers. Some of us are stuck on old systems and unable to upgrade due to the economy in the country where we live making it near-impossible to have any spare IRL $$$ for anything at all, including what little our human bodies must have to survive offline. Doing a change of Game Engine would likely drive a lot of people away from MWO forever simply because we would not be able to afford handling the effects of such a change. Some of us are therefore more than willing to accept not having perfectly epic graphics to view while playing MWO because our computers can not handle them, and because it means a lot more people are able to get into playing MWO as well. Maybe superior graphics are not always the reason that someone plays a particular game? And maybe that should not always be the defining reason that someone starts playing something new? Perhaps gameplay should be considered far more important? Posted Image

~D. V. "PGI can not legally do in MWO those 2021 graphics you desire... They would also kill player base size too..." Devnull

Given how poorly this game is optimized, I would wager that a game on a modern engine would look twice as good at 1/3 the HW requirements at a minimum. My processor is a 4690k that is 7 years old but came out a year after this game and it struggles with this game at decent settings. Meanwhile, I can run Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, modern AC titles Ghost Recon Breakpoint, etc. at high setting without issue.

Now, just because a new engine may enable them to have a better optimized product certainly doesn't mean it would be. Game optimization is developmentally expensive and difficult, but at least it would give you a fighting chance.

#309 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 26 December 2021 - 08:31 PM

View PostBull Buchanan, on 26 December 2021 - 07:07 PM, said:

Given how poorly this game is optimized, I would wager that a game on a modern engine would look twice as good at 1/3 the HW requirements at a minimum. My processor is a 4690k that is 7 years old but came out a year after this game and it struggles with this game at decent settings. Meanwhile, I can run Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, modern AC titles Ghost Recon Breakpoint, etc. at high setting without issue.

Now, just because a new engine may enable them to have a better optimized product certainly doesn't mean it would be. Game optimization is developmentally expensive and difficult, but at least it would give you a fighting chance.

Hello, Bull (no pun intended, seriously)... While I am very glad to have New Mech Pilots around here, it so happens that I get to piledrive you with two simple things. The first is one word...

UNLIKELY

...and the second is a link to some of PGI's other work and the System Requirements for it...

>> https://mw5mercs.com/faq#question-4-1 <<

...because that work by PGI is my benchmark & barometer for any likely future outcomes to MWO from switching what Game Engine is being used. Basically, the total number of people who could run MWO after that change would more than likely decrease, because even if things got to looking better, the requirements for hardware would significantly increase. We still do not want to kill MWO that way. Admittedly though, I would probably enjoy seeing PGI prove me wrong about my current estimate, but I am not holding my breath like a lunatic at the bottom of the ocean. :(

EDIT :: By the way, I'm going to kindly give your post a 'Like' because of the useful discussion value it provides. :D

~D. V. "one with significant reason to doubt MWO changing Game Engine would do anything positive" Devnull

Edited by D V Devnull, 26 December 2021 - 08:36 PM.

#310 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:49 AM

Roadmap ?! im thinking its now ended ...EG 7 stops MW5 support , split and use the PGI Team for own Projects (LOTR) PGI in Future a Support Studio for EG7 ,or closed like other Studios thats destroyed by EG7

https://www.reddit.c...rrior_5_as_pgi/

https://www.reddit.c...arrior_content/

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 12 January 2022 - 02:50 AM.

#311 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:19 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 12 January 2022 - 02:49 AM, said:

Roadmap ?! im thinking its now ended ...EG 7 stops MW5 support , split and use the PGI Team for own Projects (LOTR) PGI in Future a Support Studio for EG7 ,or closed like other Studios thats destroyed by EG7

https://www.reddit.c...rrior_5_as_pgi/

https://www.reddit.c...arrior_content/

I saw reports of these, and yes... it's not looking good for the future of MW in terms of MW6 and MWO...

Are we looking at another decade of abandonware?

#312 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:09 PM

only Hope is a new MWll-2 ,and a talented Moddingteam ...only thats rare in this Times

#313 TunaFist88

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 February 2022 - 11:38 AM

MWOIIC

#314 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 14 February 2022 - 02:55 PM

View PostBig-G, on 12 January 2022 - 01:19 PM, said:

I saw reports of these, and yes... it's not looking good for the future of MW in terms of MW6 and MWO...

Are we looking at another decade of abandonware?

longer. evolution in ip and engine litigation as discussed over the last 2 pages mean it's highly unlikely we'll even get a free fan mod/servers like mw4 did..... sad part is if they had have put some serious time in on the story writing and mission structure (more like mw2/3) it mw5 could have been so much more

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users