85 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:48 PM

Greetings Mechwarrior,

We are going to try something new here!
Today I am going to post a few previews of Items in the upcoming patch.
That way you can check out the changes sooner!
Keep in mind things can change between now and patch day (Feb 16th)if bugs are discovered. (See Bellow for example)
Also, the preview items may not provide complete details or explanations.
We may not do this every patch.

First Item:
Static Time of Day in 6 maps that had Dynamic Time of Day.

NOTES:
  • These time of day settings were chosen for this patch based on the existing lighting.
  • Our choices were based on visibility first and atmosphere second.
  • Please understand that they will likely be further adjusted in Q2-Q3 Goals.
  • We hope to be able to offer more variety in the future. (Q4 Goals)
  • We are open to your feedback, but feedback won't affect this patch. (Squad Goals)

Forest Colony - 10:00 AM
Sunny skies with 19% humidity and a 100% chance of combat.

Frozen City - 08:00 AM
Cold and windy conditions. Blowing snow reduces visibility. Overheating your mech is a terrible way to stay warm.

River City - 10:00 AM
Sunny Day with several fires affecting visibility. Go directly to the citadel and fight. This is the way.

Polar Highlands - 08:00 AM
Well, it's not as bright as Hibernal Rift so that's a plus. Could use more cover (Q2-Q3 Map improvements).

Viridian Bog - 02:00 PM
The afternoon sun has burned off the heavy fog you might expect to find in a bog. On the plus side, it still smells like skunk cabbage.

Crimson Straight - 06:45 PM
The street lights are on. Time to go home for dinner. Enjoy the nightlife by shooting the lights out in Crimson Straight.

This just in... BOLT-ON! ...STAY-ON!.. KNOCK-ON!

Just as I am about to post this I am reminded why we don't make patch notes until the patch is done in QA. So apparently we have an issue where the arm can be destroyed but the bolt-on stays put! We have a fix already so stay tuned tomorrow to see if
the Bolt-on, Stay-on, Knock-on, can get its Fix-on and we can get this Patch-on.

It's going to be an interesting year :)
The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 Therax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated on the developments.

#3 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 06:10 PM

Looks like good time of day choices to me!

#4 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 677 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 09 February 2021 - 06:30 PM

Sucks about Crimson Straight but I'll sacrifice that to keep static times for the other maps.

#5 Raptor007

• PipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:12 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 09 February 2021 - 05:48 PM, said:

River City - 10:00 AM
Sunny Day with several fires affecting visibility. Go directly to the citadel and fight. This is the way.

Love it! I never liked this one in the dark.

Crimson Straight - 06:45 PM
The street lights are on. Time to go home for dinner. Enjoy the nightlife by shooting the lights out in Crimson Straight.

Hmm... we'll see how this goes. I think I just prefer daytime maps in general.

Polar Highlands ... Could use more cover (Q2-Q3 Map improvements).

Yes! This map could definitely use more cover. I'm glad it's being considered.

#6 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:25 PM

Permanent Bolt-ons would create a huge issue affecting gameplay. They are capable of faking mesh models,

Weapons in this game cost heat and ammo, shooting a permanent fake mesh can be really messed up, ESPECIALLY in competitive play.

There MUST be an setting option to disable them in game from player's point of view.

This is a prime example of a 100% PGI-originated idea which is dropped into players' lap with no prior feedback gathering.

#7 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:38 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 February 2021 - 07:25 PM, said:

Permanent Bolt-ons would create a huge issue affecting gameplay. They are capable of faking mesh models,

Weapons in this game cost heat and ammo, shooting a permanent fake mesh can be really messed up, ESPECIALLY in competitive play.

There MUST be an setting option to disable them in game from player's point of view.

This is a prime example of a 100% PGI-originated idea which is dropped into players' lap with no prior feedback gathering.

This has been a massively requested feature by the playerbase.

#8 MaowMaow Jenkins

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:56 PM

I have to say, I really appreciate the communication with us! I am really looking forward to seeing how all this shapes up over the coming months.

#9 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:01 PM

Crimson early evening looks nice! Here’s to hoping that we get multiple times set for each map. I don’t really like the night much, but love having the opportunity.

#10 Raining Fire

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:12 PM

I never use the forums, but Crimson Strait at 6:45pm looks fantastic! I'm not sure I've ever had a match on it that happened at that time of day. The lights look great - can they actually be shot out?

The one map I would want dynamic time/weather on is Viridian Bog. Night, day, rain, shine, it's a fantastic map to play on in all those conditions.

Edited by Raining Fire, 09 February 2021 - 08:13 PM.

#11 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 February 2021 - 08:44 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 09 February 2021 - 07:38 PM, said:

This has been a massively requested feature by the playerbase.

Yes, I know the few individuals who are friends with the new community manager team and presented this as something players want.

I'm not against it if they add hitboxes to them that can then damage the mech component. Fake hollow mesh models on mechs are a big problem.

#12 killkimno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:12 PM

I heard that dynamic map time is running out.
So I have a question.

Is the map time always fixed?
Or is the map time set when matching?

#13 Xaius

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:31 PM

I'm actually surprised that we are going to get high visibilty on bog, I'm so used to using night vision there that it doesn't bother me.
Bad vision on frozen city is going to make sniping an unpleasant nightmare to do, but maybe that's a good thing, easier to sneak across the valley.
Super happy about the removal of dynamic time of day, exciting for all the other maps for sure, and I'm curious to try the two I mentioned, so no opinion from me quite yet.
(Really happy about forest colony btw, it will make me like that map a lot more, and heat vision is still a nice option with all the trees)

#14 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 09:43 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 February 2021 - 08:44 PM, said:

Yes, I know the few individuals who are friends with the new community manager team and presented this as something players want.

I'm not against it if they add hitboxes to them that can then damage the mech component. Fake hollow mesh models on mechs are a big problem.

This.

PGI, please add a setting that makes it possible for players to not see bolt ons, or make bolt ons take damage. Players shouldn't be able to permanently mess around with their mechs' hitboxes by applying the right bolt-ons. This opens up a LOT of potential issues as you have hopefully seen when you uncovered this "bolt ons stay put" bug.

#15 3RoyalStar1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 10:00 PM

When will the patch happen?

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 10:09 PM

idk if i like this approach. i think would have added time of day to the vote screen or randomized it at the start of the match. or add multiple versions of the map at different times. it would just set up the lighting for that time not change throughout the match. 15 minutes is to short to notice any difference even with the planet spinning fast enough to fly apart. unless its extremity in mwll, which is my all time favorite mechwarrior map, but there is no way to make that work in mwo.

#17 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 10:20 PM

On the one hand, the desire of players to have bolt-ons that would not fall off, but were on the bellows is understandable. But now I want to say not about the feelings of the players and not even about the technical problems that will arise when implementing permanent bolt-ons (as in the screenshot given in the announcement).
Constant bolt-ons are something that could potentially have a big impact on game play.
Yes, the PGI can make them transparent to weapons, but in this case:
- players can specially put on their mechs the most voluminous bolt-ons, thereby increasing the size of the mech, in order to increase the probability of a miss on their mech;
- a direct consequence from the point above: permanently attached bolt-ons increase the size of the mechs, making them more visible on the battlefield.
If the PGI makes the bolt-ons a solid part of the mech, then this can significantly reduce the armor of the mech. That is, the existing amount of mech armor will need to be stretched over a noticeably increased surface. Plus, again, the mech's visibility on the battlefield will increase.

Do you really need permanent bolt-ons, considering the above?

#18 Charon DOC Stock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationA partir de 100.000 C-Bills.

Posted 09 February 2021 - 10:49 PM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 09 February 2021 - 10:20 PM, said:

Do you really need permanent bolt-ons, considering the above?

Do we really need bolt-ons? Just delete this clownish feature. This will be the easiest way to fix all bolts-on problems.

At least make them only visible in Solaris or give us an option to hide bolt-ons.

Edited by Charon DOC Stock, 09 February 2021 - 10:59 PM.

#19 FknPrycK

• PipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 11:21 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 February 2021 - 07:25 PM, said:

What happened to pts before live? Or is that what a pass means?

Edited by FknPrycK, 10 February 2021 - 01:16 AM.

#20 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 12:09 AM

when were those drop points going to change, when was that happening, i grow tired of having my slow arse assault dropped off on the left in tourmaline, and then the only realistic option is fight, do 300 odd damage and redrop in about 1 minute of gameplay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users