• 2,773 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:11 PM

https://www.epicgame...hwarrior-5/home

#2 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:54 PM

On "sale" it is A$52... for a game that doesn't have the DLC or is even feature complete yet.

For comparison, that is the same price as Star Wars Squadrons and Star Wars jedi fallen order put together.

Not sure if that is just regional.pricing punishment, or a terrible price strategy, but that is a terrible sale.

#3 VeritasSuperOmnia

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 02:02 PM

When will it be available elsewhere other than EGS? I'm not ok with my data being sent to communist controlled China.

#4 Stink Bug

• PipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 02:05 PM

Still not giving Tencent my money, PGI. I should thank them though for saving me the $50 I was going to spend on a heavily flawed repetitive game like this. Maybe mods will have fixed it enough by the time it comes to one of the real platforms...

Edited by Stink Bug, 14 February 2021 - 02:10 PM.

#5 GiggMaster

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:02 PM

I am sorry but I am trying to maintain a very safe distance from Epic Store. Please return when available on Steam.

Edited by GiggMaster, 14 February 2021 - 03:35 PM.

#6 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:10 PM

No, see you on Steam at 80% sale. The game isn't even worth 50$, but I was willing to buy it full price on steam. You had your chance at Dec 10 2020, but you didn't.

I hope Epic is paying for the extended exclusivity, cause I won't.

#7 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image
Still waiting...

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:32 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 14 February 2021 - 04:12 PM, said:

You can get the game on Xbox game pass too you don’t have to wait for steam if you want to avoid the Epic Store.

But it's not on Steam. Also I don't think streamed games can be modded.

Lets face it , MW5 is only worth anything because it can be modded and out of PGI's poor decisions. If it couldn't be modded, I wouldn't even bat an eye on it.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:42 PM

now if only you had some dlc for me i might give you money.

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:09 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 14 February 2021 - 09:51 PM, said:

To my knowledge the Xbox game pass version has mod support added.

Sure? But no, I don't want to give PGI money until they deserve it.

I'm actually thinking of picking it up on the Epic Store and get a bunch of mods.

It's a shame you'd rather be part of the problem.

#11 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,369 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:58 PM

Throw in these into GOG/Steam MW5, and I'll jump at it!
(Just call it something else, a different paint job, etc.):

Into MWO (MechWarrior Online):
CPLT-C2(S)
WHM-9D(S)
MAD-9M(S)
KGC-001(S)

Unfortunately I was not around when above Special mechs were on offer; totally missed it :(

#12 FlavioDyR4m

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:50 AM

I tried multiple times to enjoy it, also with mods.
(I spent like all my life playing and playing mw3 and 4)

The game feel so hollow, i dunno how to describe it.

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:32 AM

View PostFlavioDyR4m, on 15 February 2021 - 03:50 AM, said:

I tried multiple times to enjoy it, also with mods.
(I spent like all my life playing and playing mw3 and 4)

The game feel so hollow, i dunno how to describe it.

Remember when you were on Planet Styx, where you could choose between two factions, you get either a Fafnir or IIRC a Templar? And also have the option to evacuate civilians pro-bono?

What about when you fought a Clanner, and you have an option for a Trial of Possession where you can Recruit falcon?

When you have to defend a port from ships and a bit of mechs?

Maybe you have met a fellow merc during a mission, and once they lost their objective you let them go out of professional courtesy?

What about the Solaris where you hear Chaotic_Harmony - Duncan Fisher, as gladiator fights in the Arena?

There's also an option for ending to defend a base so you can own it, or to join the Clans with a Trial of Position by having multiple 1v1s after another.

Anyway, the point is that, well, MW4-Mercs had a lot of personality. It fully embraces the lore of the game, and even though there's only few missions, there's arguably more story and more coherent direction. You can feel that the Inner Sphere is alive with a bunch of **** that's happening, and based on what you do there's consequences. You can pick sides in a conflict, there's instances where there's even missions that you purposefully fail the objectives because it's a ******* trap. There were stealth missions where you're not supposed to engage, but just stay within 100m of a target.

Based on what I watched on Baradul and other streamers is that MW5 is merely a shell of a MechWarrior, it's just a sandbox with a lot of chores and little stories. It needs Flashpoints like that of Battletech that has its own story, that maybe advancing the timeline or some ****, factions to side and fight against where you legitimately make enemies or friends based on what quests you complete. They wouldn't even ******* animate Adam Jensen, like what's even the point of the god damn bust? And based with Ryana, I could see why they wouldn't, because it looks like all they can animate is only a humanoid object, or a metal chicken with guns. They literally could have just communicated with you via portraits and prerecorded messages, hell that's what MW4-Mercs did and still provided decent stories.

So as to how to describe how hollow it is, it's because it's just a bunch of chores planet after planet without any personality, or impact. You're just there to grind, until you're strong enough to defeat the edgy dickwads trying to be Bane from Batman. You're there to collect mechs, roleplay with a story for yourself -- instead of good stories told to you by competent writers.

And they have the tenacity to price it like legit AAA titles, and probably even release it Steam full price despite more than 1 year of release. Remember guys, Corporations aren't your friends, in most cases you're their *****.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 15 February 2021 - 04:49 AM.

#14 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:39 AM

Not Chaotic_Harmony. Duncan Fisher is voiced by George Ledoux. CH comes close, tho.

#15 Stink Bug

• PipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:16 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 15 February 2021 - 04:32 AM, said:

Remember when you were on Planet Styx, where you could choose between two factions, you get either a Fafnir or IIRC a Templar? And also have the option to evacuate civilians pro-bono?

What about when you fought a Clanner, and you have an option for a Trial of Possession where you can Recruit falcon?

When you have to defend a port from ships and a bit of mechs?

Maybe you have met a fellow merc during a mission, and once they lost their objective you let them go out of professional courtesy?

What about the Solaris where you hear Chaotic_Harmony - Duncan Fisher, as gladiator fights in the Arena?

There's also an option for ending to defend a base so you can own it, or to join the Clans with a Trial of Position by having multiple 1v1s after another.

Anyway, the point is that, well, MW4-Mercs had a lot of personality. It fully embraces the lore of the game, and even though there's only few missions, there's arguably more story and more coherent direction. You can feel that the Inner Sphere is alive with a bunch of **** that's happening, and based on what you do there's consequences. You can pick sides in a conflict, there's instances where there's even missions that you purposefully fail the objectives because it's a ******* trap. There were stealth missions where you're not supposed to engage, but just stay within 100m of a target.

Based on what I watched on Baradul and other streamers is that MW5 is merely a shell of a MechWarrior, it's just a sandbox with a lot of chores and little stories. It needs Flashpoints like that of Battletech that has its own story, that maybe advancing the timeline or some ****, factions to side and fight against where you legitimately make enemies or friends based on what quests you complete. They wouldn't even ******* animate Adam Jensen, like what's even the point of the god damn bust? And based with Ryana, I could see why they wouldn't, because it looks like all they can animate is only a humanoid object, or a metal chicken with guns. They literally could have just communicated with you via portraits and prerecorded messages, hell that's what MW4-Mercs did and still provided decent stories.

So as to how to describe how hollow it is, it's because it's just a bunch of chores planet after planet without any personality, or impact. You're just there to grind, until you're strong enough to defeat the edgy dickwads trying to be Bane from Batman. You're there to collect mechs, roleplay with a story for yourself -- instead of good stories told to you by competent writers.

And they have the tenacity to price it like legit AAA titles, and probably even release it Steam full price despite more than 1 year of release. Remember guys, Corporations aren't your friends, in most cases you're their *****.
Well stated, but I'd also point to the less linear yet still memorable MW2:Mercenaries as a gold standard for this style game (minus the bugs of course). Tons of unique missions (Deadeye bootcamp, hiding from Kuritans in a cave, "renting" a stalker for a city rampage, driving savannah masters, fighting off pirate jumpships from your own in space, shadowy intel on unknown "periphery" mechs, etc). Tied together with Comstar newstickers back at base that put you in the atmosphere and reacted to your actions as well. And both games did it without endless hordes of mechs and vehicles spawning out of thin air as soon as you turned your head.

I also think it's no coincidence that both previous Mercenaries titles were standalone expansions to more linear Mechwarrior games. In hindsight it might've been best for PGI to build a solid foundation in the same manner, THEN release a Mercenaries spinoff after gaining experience with that.

#16 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:27 AM

I didn't appreciate it at the time, but I think the whole "randomly generated missions/maps" was/is a major detractor from my enjoyment of MW5. At the time I bought into it. "Yeah, random generation, we'll get tons of replay value!".

Except we didn't, because as it turns out the random generation is so weak that every mission feels the same. Same 5 scenarios across what feels like 4 maps because random generation precludes the ability for any unique map features that would make them memorable. I really enjoyed the urban tiles that PGI created and I think they did a great job with building destruction. But with the exception of a few scripted story missions we never fight in a truly large city like in MW4 & Mercs where the ENTIRE map was a city. We also don't ever deal with water features outside of scripted story missions, and even there I forget if we have had a scenario where we HAD to go into water. Meanwhile MW4 had water often and you could use it to cool your mech at the expense of speed and cover.

I still go back and play MW4 & Mercs because even though I know EXACTLY what will happen in each mission the maps are well designed and thought out. The scenarios and mission objectives are fun, unique, and sometimes require solutions OTHER than destroying everything on the map. I remember scenarios where my active radar (remember that) would pick up enemy mechs across the map and I was already in rough shape from battle and that feeling of dread was an awesome emotion the game evoked through good design. "Can I beat this new lance on the field? Do I have the speed to reach the evac point?"

I support Battletech heavily. It's my favorite fictional universe and I'm a super nerd for it. I pre-ordered MW5 (even on Epic, angry as I was that my pre-order got ******* bait & switched) but I've been let down by it. The combat in the game is quite fun, it looks pretty, but the game is so so shallow. Mech features were trimmed (I remember Russ going "mechs could crouch?") when asked about that feature in MW5. Radar was dumbed down, lancemate commands were neutered and AI is weak and brain dead. Repair bays? What are those?

MW5 is a random scenario generator for mech combat. If that's the yardstick we're measuring by, I'd say it succeeded. But I struggle to call it a "game". The storyline being cliché is fine, that's most Mechwarrior games (and games in general tbh) but it was poorly executed and didn't engage me at all. Besides killing my father, what did Black Inferno do exactly? Are they part of Comstar? Who came for me at the end? None of it matters, because there is no payoff to answering those questions. Even the tie in to my father being a scout from Clan space is... underwhelming. PGI tried to create a new storyline in a universe teeming with existing (and better written) conflicts. They could have just lifted something from one of the many novels or source books. That's what happened with MW4: Vengeance and it pays off. Storyline is cliché there too but I remember feeling real joy at grinding my cousin into the dirt and killing that pig Roland.

I think PGI has done some good with MWO and I still play it regularly. But MW5 could have been so much more, without necessarily using more resources. I would have gladly given up random mission generation for a well written and executed 25 mission campaign. And hey, I think it would have been pretty easy to add SOME random elements to those 25 missions. Like randomizing time of day/weather conditions, or rolling on a RAT to generate the enemy forces. That would provide some replay ability because the missions wouldn't ever be exactly the same and your salvage would change too.

But I rant, maybe someday a studio will do justice to the MechWarrior brand again. I take HBS' staggering success with Battletech as an encouraging sign. There is appetite out there for this universe, it just needs to be executed well.

#17 Mendoza Pink

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:28 AM

Its been over a year and still can't buy it on any reputable storefront. I want to play so bad when will anywhere else be able to sell it? Don't even need a sale

#18 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:33 AM

View PostMendoza Pink, on 15 February 2021 - 09:28 AM, said:

Its been over a year and still can't buy it on any reputable storefront. I want to play so bad when will anywhere else be able to sell it? Don't even need a sale

Coming to Steam in April or May along with the new DLC Heroes of the Inner Sphere.

#19 Krovakon

• PipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:39 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 15 February 2021 - 09:33 AM, said:

Coming to Steam in April or May along with the new DLC Heroes of the Inner Sphere.

Allegedly coming out in april or may. It might get another 4+ month delay for some random reason.

#20 Deathshade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • Locationplaying Planetary / Community Warfare / Faction Warfare / Faction Play

Posted 15 February 2021 - 12:38 PM

To my knowledge the Xbox game pass version has mod support added.

I'm actually thinking of picking it up on the Epic Store and get a bunch of mods.

Really? Where did you hear that? It would require a mod manager within the game. At least that is the way other games are doing it. I got no response when asking this question on reddit except that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users