53 replies to this topic

#1 Daeron Katz

Senior Marketing and Community Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 03:07 PM

Greetings MechWarriors!

In the February patch, we changed every bolt-on in the game so they will NOT fall off when damaged, unless they are attached to a component that is destroyed.

However, we received crucial feedback about the impact this could have on gameplay. We have heard this feedback and agree that some bolt-ons SHOULD fall off. Specifically, bolt-ons that can give players a false impression of weapons or hit box locations. So we need your help to determine which bolt-ons do this.

How can you help? Please post to this thread with the name of the critical bolt-ons, and provide a screenshot (of the bolt-on equipped on a mech in the front end where you don't have to buy it). In most cases, 1 screenshot per bolt-on type should be sufficient. We are looking for specific and actionable items. Please avoid spamming opinions in this thread such as "delete all bolt-ons" as it's non-constructive. Another reason to keep that thread clean and clear is so we can quickly address the offending bolt-ons and have the change out for the March Patch.

Another reason to not spam that thread with an opinion is that we have added a new item to our Roadmap. That new item added to the road maps is to make the rendering of bolt-ons an option in player preferences. YES, we have heard your feedback and we agree that this is the best way forward. This way players can enjoy the game the way they choose, with or without bolt-ons. We don't have a specific date for this change yet but we will be doing an initial investigation during this month and we hope to give you an update with our next Dev Vlog or the Roadmap update.

Living with the current bolt-on situation from Feb 16th to March 16th may frustrate some players but please look at the process we are using to drive changes in the game this year. Understand that we are often listening to a variety of conflicting opinions and doing our best to take everyone's input into account when making decisions. We think this decision is an example of our commitment to listening and adjusting our plans to serve the community and the game the best way possible.

Thank you!
The MechWarrior Online Team

#2 Bronx

Rookie

• The Patron Saint
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:06 PM

If you adjust them individually, it will depend greatly on how each individual feels.
If this is the case, I think it would be better to maintain the status quo for allies and make it invisible for enemies.
I think we need to create an environment where users who don't want to wear flags or other conspicuous items can wear them.

#3 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:16 PM

Blood Asp Blades. Making a fake shoulder pod flat out cannot be ignored.

Jet Engines, Chainsaws, Drills, and Helipads. Just across the board. They are all obscenely big.

#4 TENTACLE BOSS

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 07:31 PM

View PostMyriadDigits, on 18 February 2021 - 06:16 PM, said:

Blood Asp Blades. Making a fake shoulder pod flat out cannot be ignored.

Jet Engines, Chainsaws, Drills, and Helipads. Just across the board. They are all obscenely big.

I think on smaller mechs chainsaws and drills shouldn't fall off until the arm does.

A tiny mech grasping something in the hand isn't a drastic alteration of the hit box, plus it'd kill the incentive to purchase those things if they just fall off immediately, they are already small additions that are expensive. Make an exception for large assaults because that results in things like saws and drills scaling up, but for smaller mechs they should absolutely stay on.

#5 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:45 AM

just give us the option to turn bolt-on rendering off so I can have an unfair advantage over people who leave it on

#6 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:40 AM

Tangentially related:

Could you move the Shadowcats ERPPC back to the front of the arm please. Looks silly hanging off the side.

Posted Image

#7 KW Driver

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:59 AM

I like the idea previously put forward of having them visible to allies, but not to enemies.. this prevents players from screwing their team with bullet magnets like the flags. what is the point of a lance or team moving behind a ridge line when one of them has a flag sticking up screaming "Here we are!" to the enemy team? Other players have no control over what decorations their teammates are using, and can be adversely impacted by players drawing fire to themselves from the use of decorative add-ons.. Also, I think that any object that creates an impression of a hitbox that doesn't exist should fall off (i.e. shoulder or arm items that increase the bulk of the component in question).

and before anyone can get their dander up, I do have bolt-ons and use them, but if I think that item is going to become a bullet magnet for the rest of my team, I will not purchase it (or if it is won in an event, I will not mount it)..

Edited by KW Driver, 19 February 2021 - 03:01 AM.

#8 TENTACLE BOSS

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:13 AM

View PostKW Driver, on 19 February 2021 - 02:59 AM, said:

I like the idea previously put forward of having them visible to allies, but not to enemies.. this prevents players from screwing their team with bullet magnets like the flags. what is the point of a lance or team moving behind a ridge line when one of them has a flag sticking up screaming "Here we are!" to the enemy team? Other players have no control over what decorations their teammates are using, and can be adversely impacted by players drawing fire to themselves from the use of decorative add-ons.. Also, I think that any object that creates an impression of a hitbox that doesn't exist should fall off (i.e. shoulder or arm items that increase the bulk of the component in question).

and before anyone can get their dander up, I do have bolt-ons and use them, but if I think that item is going to become a bullet magnet for the rest of my team, I will not purchase it (or if it is won in an event, I will not mount it)..

That's dumb because then you can't show your mech off to the enemy team. Cosmetics are a vanity item, any solution to preventing them from disrupting the game shouldn't come at the expense of bolt-ons having any cosmetic value.

#9 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:17 AM

Anything that isn't bolted down or gripped well; wood based cosmetics, flags, clubs, tires. Anything that doesn't seem like it's bolted on, should fall off.

Examples of items that shouldn't include the drill, chainsaws, etc.

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:45 AM

All bolt-ons need to stay on.

Simple as that.

#11 WarmasterRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 205 posts
  • LocationQuébec - Canada

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:13 AM

Same opinion as Vellron2005, Bolt-ons shouldn't fall off at all, well, at least until the component they are attached to is destroyed.

Just need to make sure they don't block shots nor transfer dmg.

#12 Jungle Plague

• PipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 38 posts
  • LocationKennesaw, GA

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:42 AM

I mean... maybe this is a significant thing... but it feels to me like this is a pretty inconsequential thing that might not be the best use of resources?

#13 Vidarion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:17 AM

Anything that can appear to be a shield (helipad, I'm looking at you) or armor or an additional weapon (drill, chainsaw) either need to fall off or transfer damage to the hitbox that they are attached to.

To be honest, if you want to change the geometry of your mech with a bolt-on that's on _YOU_ and damage that hits the bolt-on is hitting _YOU_ so it should transfer 100% to the component you attached the bolt-on too.

The only exceptions to that would maybe be the flags and searchlights...which I think should fall off with any amount of damage. Everything else should 100% transfer damage to the hit location it's on and fall off when that hit location is destroyed.

If that can't be done, then bolt-ons should fall off when they receive one point of damage to avoid tag lasers being used to remove them.

#14 Kurt the Merc

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:56 AM

I like the idea of only having them come off when the component they are attached to gets destroyed. Might take some more work that way, but it seems like that will be the right way. Creating false hitboxes doesn't need to be prevented. If you were a pilot you would make as many fake targets as possible. Battle experience tells you where to shoot. Role-playing wise this makes since. Additionally if the game continues to receive more support, more bolt-ons will be added exacerbating the problem.

#15 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

Strange idea, but what if Bolt-ons had a (small) health pool? They take X damage, they fall off? This would prevent TAG and NARC from knocking bolt-ons off (which I think was the basis of the complaint about Bolt-ons falling off *too* easily). Say, a health pool of 1-3 health?

I also particularly like the idea of bolt-ons and cosmetics being visible to only your teammates and not your opponents. Then it doesn't matter what it does to the mech's appearence, it will be balanced and you still show off your "cool mech" in game. Your opponents are often too busy shooting and trying to play the game to notice bolt-ons most times. It's honestly your allies who notice bolt-ons and cosmetics (even camo patterns, decals, and colors) at the start of the match.

#16 WarmasterRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 205 posts
  • LocationQuébec - Canada

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:20 AM

View PostVidarion, on 19 February 2021 - 08:17 AM, said:

Anything that can appear to be a shield (helipad, I'm looking at you) or armor or an additional weapon (drill, chainsaw) either need to fall off or transfer damage to the hitbox that they are attached to.

To be honest, if you want to change the geometry of your mech with a bolt-on that's on _YOU_ and damage that hits the bolt-on is hitting _YOU_ so it should transfer 100% to the component you attached the bolt-on too.

The only exceptions to that would maybe be the flags and searchlights...which I think should fall off with any amount of damage. Everything else should 100% transfer damage to the hit location it's on and fall off when that hit location is destroyed.

If that can't be done, then bolt-ons should fall off when they receive one point of damage to avoid tag lasers being used to remove them.

If it should transfer damage then it should increase Armour, because well, I'M ADDING LAYERS to my mech, right? Changing my "geometry" and all.
That's the logic I get from your statement.

Bolt-ons are only decorations, at NO point should it become a "functional" component of a mech and a handicap at the same time, since it automatically increases the hitbox sizes...

So No to that.

#17 Wid1046

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 09:27 AM

In the patch notes Matt Newman mentioned that they would "Make the rendering of bolt-ons an option in player preferences". I think that they should also add an option to only render allied bolt-ons. That way you get the choice to see all bolt-ons, no bolt-ons, or still see the bolt-ons for your team while hiding those on enemy mechs.
I expect that many people would choose this last option, but it would make it a choice for each player.

#18 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:46 PM

The biggest issue I have with bolt-ons is that the majority of them are ridiculous and immersion breaking. Fortunately they cost real money, so I don't actually recall seeing that many in-game. But then again it's been many months since I've played.

A few different way to approach this:

1. Move past it. I'd rather see development resources going into matters that actually affect gameplay.

2. As others have said, give bolt-ons a small health pool. This strikes a balance between them being papier-mâché and bulletproof. Obviously this would have no bearing on its host's armor/structure.

3. The pipedream is to retool the bolt-ons into a proper cosmetic system, tailored for specific mechs, e.g. the Founder's Catapult has a 'nose'. Make them parts that actually allow players to personalize their mechs instead of merely accessorizing. Extra bonus points for damage states as an extension of point 2 above.

Edited by process, 19 February 2021 - 01:48 PM.

#19 JIKOSU

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:23 PM

bolt-ons should stay on unless damaged a lot, they should have their own health.

#20 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 February 2021 - 02:32 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 19 February 2021 - 02:40 AM, said:

Tangentially related: Could you move the Shadowcats ERPPC back to the front of the arm please. Looks silly hanging off the side. Posted Image

They're punishing you for using a bad build. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users