The Curious Case Of The Grand Dragon

107 replies to this topic

#41 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:16 PM

HSL+1 for PPC and Large Laser family, coupled with a bunch of heat and cooldown could be nice. If you could alpha 3PPcs or 4 Large Lasers without ghost heat it could make up for its overall low firepower.

Also give it a huge amount of missile cooldown.

#42 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

Easy way to fix the Dragon to some degree is just, "Flip a switch."

Allow MASC use even though you still get the 1G with no stock MASC.

7K is not doable, it is a C3 unit and those never seem to make it into the game that I recall.

Now if they did one of the three Heroes (Emory, Mark or Douglas) things may have been interesting. First two are actually the same Mech in different time periods but use LRM15 stock so not a CT Missile spot. Third had only AC5, LRM5 and SRM6 stock so no Energy points possible for something different.

Still I feel inclined due to current stats and my dislike getting 2 of the same variant to just buy individual Heroes over anything else including other MechPaks.

#43 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:01 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 23 February 2021 - 04:28 PM, said:

The Jarl's rating of the players who requested it matters not one jot. Most players don't care about it, and I'd imagine many don't even know what Jarl's is. Sorry bruv, but PGI asked for suggestions and went with the most popular one, seems rather cut and dry to me.

They also asked for us to sell the mech and what it adds to the game. The DRG-1G adds nothing to the game... So i'm afraid its not cut and dry, BRUV

#44 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:30 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 23 February 2021 - 06:01 PM, said:

They also asked for us to sell the mech and what it adds to the game. The DRG-1G adds nothing to the game... So i'm afraid its not cut and dry, BRUV

Yeah but why bring up Jarl's at all, Mr Salty Saltington?

#45 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:51 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 23 February 2021 - 06:30 PM, said:

Yeah but why bring up Jarl's at all, Mr Salty Saltington?

It shows the demographic asking for a mech that adds nothing.

#46 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:58 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 23 February 2021 - 05:16 PM, said:

HSL+1 for PPC and Large Laser family, coupled with a bunch of heat and cooldown could be nice. If you could alpha 3PPcs or 4 Large Lasers without ghost heat it could make up for its overall low firepower.

Neither of those HSL quirks make sense for the chassis because of its stock loadout.

Neither of them are very effective either. You can already alpha 3 PPCs, it's called 2 HPPCs. It's better because it saves 1 ton and lets you have both mounted high instead of having one dangling in your arm. Using 3 PPCs instead of 2 HPPCs doesn't make sense to me.

View PostWildstreak, on 23 February 2021 - 05:19 PM, said:

Easy way to fix the Dragon to some degree is just, "Flip a switch."

Allow MASC use even though you still get the 1G with no stock MASC.

7K is not doable, it is a C3 unit and those never seem to make it into the game that I recall.

Now if they did one of the three Heroes (Emory, Mark or Douglas) things may have been interesting. First two are actually the same Mech in different time periods but use LRM15 stock so not a CT Missile spot. Third had only AC5, LRM5 and SRM6 stock so no Energy points possible for something different.

Still I feel inclined due to current stats and my dislike getting 2 of the same variant to just buy individual Heroes over anything else including other MechPaks.

C3 would be easy to substitute for a Targeting Computer or some heatsinks or whatever.

#47 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:19 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 February 2021 - 06:58 PM, said:

Neither of those HSL quirks make sense for the chassis because of its stock loadout.

Neither of them are very effective either. You can already alpha 3 PPCs, it's called 2 HPPCs. It's better because it saves 1 ton and lets you have both mounted high instead of having one dangling in your arm. Using 3 PPCs instead of 2 HPPCs doesn't make sense to me.

I said family. Which would let you alpha 3 ERPPCs, which is different from 2 HPPCs.
Sure it's not the greatest thing out there, but it would help compensate for poor weapon flexibility due to poor hardpoints.

#48 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

Honestly at this point, who would run it as stock though? Or any mech?

#49 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:48 AM

View PostAlex Morgaine, on 23 February 2021 - 08:29 PM, said:

Honestly at this point, who would run it as stock though? Or any mech?

No one, but the point is that the stock loadout does influence what kind of weapon quirks you'll get. For example the Raven 2X will never see LPPC HSL +1.

#50 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 24 February 2021 - 03:47 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 February 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

Dervish can't be blamed on MW4, that's a 3025 mech.

also the dervish is a pretty good mech and commonly used in high level comp Posted Image

#51 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:18 AM

View PostHeavy Money, on 23 February 2021 - 05:16 PM, said:

Also give it a huge amount of missile cooldown.

most of the missile hardpoints on the dragon are rendered useless because of their placement in the ct. with only 2 slots not a lot you can put in there. 8 srm tubes (4 wth artimes), 10 lrm tubes (5 with artemis), 10 mrm tubes, 8 streak tubes, 20 rockets, or a narc. dragons have the most useless missile hardpoints in the game. thus they all need insane missile quirks. the best any dragon does is 15% cd. they really need better missile quirks than that.

but i have a feeling the grand dragon will be all about the ppc.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 February 2021 - 07:28 AM.

#52 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:39 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 February 2021 - 07:18 AM, said:

but i have a feeling the grand dragon will be all about the ppc.

After my initial outrage over the choice, I did realize this. So maybe we will get the DRG-1N AC5 quirks but for PPCs

#53 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:31 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 February 2021 - 07:39 AM, said:

After my initial outrage over the choice, I did realize this. So maybe we will get the DRG-1N AC5 quirks but for PPCs

Yeah that would be the "unique" part of the variant choice. But, let's be honest: we're getting IS S-SRM cooldown quirks.

#54 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 09:58 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 24 February 2021 - 09:31 AM, said:

Yeah that would be the "unique" part of the variant choice. But, let's be honest: we're getting IS S-SRM cooldown quirks.

Probably LRM 10 cooldown quirks, so it can't even take advantage of the quirks and use both hard points (the mech has an LRM10 stock)

#55 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:01 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 22 February 2021 - 04:22 PM, said:

Absolutely true. PGI could make any Mech good, including the Grand Dragon btw.

It should be that Mechs with bad geometry and limited hardpoints e.g. get great quirks to offset those drawbacks. It is just that hoping for quirks resulted disappointment more often than not. Unfortunately so.
Of course, if the Grand Dragon ends up being great due to quirks, I will consider it.

Don't hold your breath on that one. The Dragon is the posterchild mech for IK and Knockdowns, two things that are highly unlikely to ever be added for a variety of reasons, one of which is a video posted on Youtube a few years ago showing a certain high-ranking PGI employee who effectively holds the veto button for any in-game changes being killed solely by Knockdowns. It'll be lucky if the 1G gets any quirks at all.

#56 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:50 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 February 2021 - 02:48 AM, said:

No one, but the point is that the stock loadout does influence what kind of weapon quirks you'll get. For example the Raven 2X will never see LPPC HSL +1.

Which is a shame, some meme quirks on each chassis to give an oddball use would at least bring in more of a reason to get different varients of a chassis. Though LPPC X4 wouldn't be that crazy. I did 5 and a mg on a Vulcan, it's hot and silly but would be interesting on a more flattened smaller peeker... Hmmm. Stupid work.

#57 MookieDog

• PipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 05:19 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 22 February 2021 - 02:57 PM, said:

3 of them are listed as "retired" on the Jarl's List
1 of them was not found on the Jarl's List
8 of them were below the 70th percentile (not including the retired/not found)
Only 2 of them are over the 90th percentile

So by that logic only the what... top 50 or top 100 get to say what mechs PGI should put into the game? Maybe it should be limited to post count since two people make it a habit of answering each other and replying to every single post.

Now for grown up talk. What was initially mentioned by Daeron was this:

"Greetings MechWarriors!

As mentioned in our new MWO Dev Vlog HERE, we are looking for your input! This will be a regular occurrence of course, as we seek your wisdom in regards to 'Mechs, maps, modes, and many other topics along this journey.

First up, we'd love to hear from you with regards to what new 'Mech variants you would like to see from the existing chassis already in the game. Have a particular variant that you think worthy? Let us know! Please be as detailed as you can, including the full variant name, suggested hardpoints, and why you think that variant is important and what it would add to the game. Sell us on it, so we can sell it to the team!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Have a great weekend and happy hunting MechWarriors!"

Despite Daeron specifically asking for mech chassis already in the game, people went off the deep end and started asking for mechs NOT in the game.

Understandably everyone picked their favorite mech and asked for the moon: ECM, MASC, tons of hard points, jump jets and advanced battle computers.

About 99% of the people who replied failed to see the real issues:

1. There were and still has not been any update on any developers being sent to MWO. So what does that mean? Easy: Cut copy paste of an existing mech chassis and tweak it to see if a new hard point can be added or a hard point can be switched from energy to ballistic with existing code without breaking anything.

2. Now I will agree. Was the "Grand Dragon" -1G the best choice, nope not by a long shot. Like many others I would have liked the -7K. The DRG-5K-DC really isn't feasible and the DRG-7KC cant be in game yet since MML are non existent. Daeron and Matt "winged it". Now can the hard points use some love.. hell yes. I agree two missile hard points in the CT... ya.. WTF? I also agree with many people that quirks should not save the mech. For this mech to be good I need super cooldown, mega armor and structure, and +++HSL, I hate that fact, however its part of the game at this point.

3. After watching SnufflesTime's video I will refer to the Grand Dragon now as the DRG-series to avoid getting my house burned down. Being a Kurita Loyalist and having 99% of my mechs Ash Gray (1st Genyosha)... I am going to take a very large step back from that. However, at least the DRG- (S) variant could use some love, the mech comes with a 360XL, not a standard (Daeron and Matt hope you are reading this). First run of the DRG-series was 3024, the game is currently still what Civil War.. The mech should have a 360XL and should also have 13 double heat sinks.

4. Daeron and Matt, if you could, there is another variant of the DRG-1G, the GD Emory. If you could move either one of or both of the missile hardpoints that would be wonderful. That would bring something new to the DRG-1G series mechs (ha didn't say it!!!) without hopefully breaking anything. Leave one missile hard point in the CT and move the other missile hard point into either torso, or split the missile hard points into one each side! Leave the CT slots open. Low hanging fruit!

5. IF (when) you guys are given a developer who can update the code a MASC could be added to the DRG-1G, now the DRG-7K. That mech chassis would already be in game and require a minimum amount of code and effort, and hopefully would not break anything. Don't even announce it.. just slip it in and shock the living hell out of everyone. SUPRISE KONOYARO!! People will come running and the ensuing chaos will be epic!

Edited by MookieDog, 25 February 2021 - 05:26 AM.

#58 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 07:20 AM

View PostMookieDog, on 25 February 2021 - 05:19 AM, said:

So by that logic only the what... top 50 or top 100 get to say what mechs PGI should put into the game? Maybe it should be limited to post count since two people make it a habit of answering each other and replying to every single post.

And what logic might that be?

Those statistics show that most of the people asking for the Grand Dragon-1G either don’t play or don’t actually care much about gameplay and just picked a nostalgic pet mech.

My point is, PGI should be looking at community suggestions and even if something gets mentioned a lot, evaluate what it brings to the table first. Sorry that upsets you, I might suggest thicker skin.

#59 MookieDog

• PipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:19 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 25 February 2021 - 07:20 AM, said:

And what logic might that be?

Those statistics show that most of the people asking for the Grand Dragon-1G either don’t play or don’t actually care much about gameplay and just picked a nostalgic pet mech.

My point is, PGI should be looking at community suggestions and even if something gets mentioned a lot, evaluate what it brings to the table first. Sorry that upsets you, I might suggest thicker skin.

What? You mean this at 19:00

Skin toughness is fine. Looks like you didnt get your way or what you want so what?? Next mech pack is going to be clan, so you can get your super Direwolf-K uber death machine the next pass. Until then...

Ok weird observation.. for someone who has a Kurita tag you are poo pooing the Dragon? Just throwing that out there.

#60 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

eh.. back when this game (and forum) were still alive, we had a lot of polls, every few days of "what mech they should do next" ..

I'm not gonna dig them up, everybody pls feel free to do so;
I can't remember for my life even seeing a 'grand dragon' on there.
grab a dragon, slap a ppc on it - instant grand-dragon.

now, as I DO remember many of us wanted -and still want!- the crusader. or the UrbieIIC..

but I guess we aren't really talking new mechs, are we? sad, sad, sad :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users