The Speed Of Light Event - 2 Free Mechs In June

108 replies to this topic

#101 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 13 June 2021 - 12:31 AM

View Postw0qj, on 11 June 2021 - 11:57 AM, said:

Some are still asking "how to shoot down an UAV", as an indicator of their MWO skills right now.

View Postmartian, on 11 June 2021 - 11:57 PM, said:

They can go to the Training grounds and train shooting down UAVs for hours, if needed.

Or they could perhaps go to the MWO Academy instead, and walk across the river to the Practice BattleZone which is always glad to keep throwing up UAVs for the player to hit? :)

~D. V. "presenting another alternative for learning about how to kill a UAV and practice doing it under fire" Devnull

#102 evlkenevl

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 07:26 PM

Just sayin'... Artemis is a chassis option. It adds benefits, tonnage and a "+Artemis" label to existing weapon systems. That's why lots of folks were upset about the damage not registering.

#103 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:09 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 13 June 2021 - 12:31 AM, said:

Or they could perhaps go to the MWO Academy instead, and walk across the river to the Practice BattleZone which is always glad to keep throwing up UAVs for the player to hit? Posted Image

~D. V. "presenting another alternative for learning about how to kill a UAV and practice doing it under fire" Devnull

Or they can simply drop into the game and train on enemy UAVs. Yes, occasionally it happens that the enemy team team "refuses" to use UAVs, but usually there are lots of them. More than enough to train somebody's aim. Posted Image

#104 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:03 AM

View Postmartian, on 15 June 2021 - 01:09 AM, said:

Or they can simply drop into the game and train on enemy UAVs. Yes, occasionally it happens that the enemy team team "refuses" to use UAVs, but usually there are lots of them. More than enough to train somebody's aim. Posted Image

I'd bet the live-match problem is people don't realize, yet, that UAVs have 10 health, and you need to deal 10 damage to them for them to die. I'll bet there are a lot of folks hitting them with a single IS Large Laser, dealing 9 damage, and wondering why they didn't get the kill, while someone else swoops in with that 1 extra damage point and steals the credit. :) It's happened to me a fair few times. It's part of the reason PPCs are a much better weapon for sniping UAVs.

#105 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:35 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 15 June 2021 - 05:03 AM, said:

I'd bet the live-match problem is people don't realize, yet, that UAVs have 10 health, and you need to deal 10 damage to them for them to die. I'll bet there are a lot of folks hitting them with a single IS Large Laser, dealing 9 damage, and wondering why they didn't get the kill, while someone else swoops in with that 1 extra damage point and steals the credit. Posted Image It's happened to me a fair few times. It's part of the reason PPCs are a much better weapon for sniping UAVs.

Or just use two Large Lasers.
Or one Heavy Laser. Or two ER Medium Lasers. Posted Image

EDIT:
For PPC's, SNPPC's ain't recommended due to short optimal and large falloff; LPPC would need two, like with ML's. Standard and Heavy PPC should do the job, but easiest weapon to shut down UAV is without any argument the ERPPC.

PS: Event done, was a smooth ride (finally after all those years), just DMG accumulation was a chore. But I have the mechs. Posted Image

Edited by Ch_R0me, 15 June 2021 - 05:37 AM.

#106 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:47 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 15 June 2021 - 05:03 AM, said:

I'd bet the live-match problem is people don't realize, yet, that UAVs have 10 health, and you need to deal 10 damage to them for them to die.

As far as I know, there is no information in the game that would tell the player how many hit points UAV has. Posted Image

View PostCh_R0me, on 15 June 2021 - 05:35 AM, said:

PS: Event done, was a smooth ride (finally after all those years), just DMG accumulation was a chore. But I have the mechs. Posted Image

Enjoy your new 'Mechs!

And you still have three weeks of the alloted time left. Posted Image

#107 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:34 AM

View Postevlkenevl, on 14 June 2021 - 07:26 PM, said:

Just sayin'... Artemis is a chassis option. It adds benefits, tonnage and a "+Artemis" label to existing weapon systems. That's why lots of folks were upset about the damage not registering.

This, is what makes me laugh about the state of the game right now. Event could not have been clearer in that non-Artemis weapons were stated for the respective damage components, similarly the medium lasers instead or extended range. All people needed to do and I'm guessing the vast majority did, was to use the right weapon systems . . . . instead, folk are complaining that because they did not read or comply with the event's directives, that PGI are somehow at fault?!

Read, inwardly digest, then act appropriately . . . /sigh

#108 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:05 AM

View Postmartian, on 15 June 2021 - 06:47 AM, said:

As far as I know, there is no information in the game that would tell the player how many hit points UAV has. Posted Image

Agreed. I only know the value based on empirical evidence and personal experience, trying to take them down. Prior to the Civil War update, "all PPCs" would take them down in one shot. IS PPCs doing 10 damage, each variant. Clan ERLL would take a UAV down in one shot (if allowed the full burn duration), but IS LL (both types) doing only 9 dmg apiece, would require a 2nd shot (and the UAV would die towards the beginning of the 2nd burn). A pair of medium lasers would work, but a single Clan ERML wouldn't. A Gauss slug would take one down. Autocannons experience ballistic falloff, and are really hard to aim at UAVs (this would be made a lot easier if we eliminated Convergence and set everything to fire perfectly straight at all times. Jus' sayin'). And a Clan Streak SRM6 could one-shot a UAV, but a Streak SRM4 wouldn't.

It was mostly the Large Lasers that pointed me to the actual value. I always got confused going from a Clan 'mech, where a single LL would work, to an IS 'mech, where it suddenly didn't. That's when I began to think about UAVs in terms of HP, and how much they might have.

#109 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:31 AM

View PostPeppaPig, on 15 June 2021 - 08:34 AM, said:

(...)... instead, folk are complaining that because they did not read or comply with the event's directives, that PGI are somehow at fault?!

Yeah, sometimes the skill of "reading comprehesion" can fail. I mean - too many times the specific text was fixed on the one context (like SRM = SRM and SRM+A), so that was coded to our minds and when context changes - this is the result.

I'm telling this from my own experience, since I sometimes do the same mistake. Posted Image

View PostC337Skymaster, on 15 June 2021 - 10:05 AM, said:

Agreed. I only know the value based on empirical evidence and personal experience, trying to take them down. Prior to the Civil War update, "all PPCs" would take them down in one shot. IS PPCs doing 10 damage, each variant. Clan ERLL would take a UAV down in one shot (if allowed the full burn duration), but IS LL (both types) doing only 9 dmg apiece, would require a 2nd shot (and the UAV would die towards the beginning of the 2nd burn). A pair of medium lasers would work, but a single Clan ERML wouldn't. A Gauss slug would take one down. Autocannons experience ballistic falloff, and are really hard to aim at UAVs (this would be made a lot easier if we eliminated Convergence and set everything to fire perfectly straight at all times. Jus' sayin'). And a Clan Streak SRM6 could one-shot a UAV, but a Streak SRM4 wouldn't.

I didn't mentioned about Gauss, since it's quite wasteful to fire one slug for UAV imo. Less if you use two Light Gausses, and I'll not mention about using Heavy Gauss... A bit more if we had Improved Heavy Gauss Rifle. Posted Image
And about Streaks - SRM6 yes, due to 2 DMG/MSL; yet you have to be near UAV to hit (even more with IS models; reason below).

View PostC337Skymaster, on 15 June 2021 - 10:05 AM, said:

It was mostly the Large Lasers that pointed me to the actual value. I always got confused going from a Clan 'mech, where a single LL would work, to an IS 'mech, where it suddenly didn't. That's when I began to think about UAVs in terms of HP, and how much they might have.

The power of the math: Add one value (first LL shot), then deduct the negative value (that is - wasted burn time from the time damaging the UAV, knowing the LL's damage and burn time parameters), sum the rest with the first value. And you know, how much HP have UAV.

And just because like with Streaks (to recall and for lore sake), IS technology is inferior to the Clan tech, mostly because Succession Wars, and Clans savviness in this matter. That's why one Clan ERLL suffice to burn UAV, while IS one not.

Spoiler

Edited by Ch_R0me, 15 June 2021 - 11:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users