22 replies to this topic

#1 mareNight

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:40 AM

Are these two games going to continue in parallel or will they eventually merge? (E.g. PvP is added into MW5 since it has the newer graphics.)

Just curious if PGI has shared their roadmap of the future. Can't imagine it's profitable to manage two games in parallel like this for very long.

Also, note I selfishly prefer not to switch between games!

Edited by mareNight, 21 September 2021 - 09:44 AM.

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:15 AM

To the best of my knowledge, Piranha has never stated one way or another that they're going to merge the two games, but it's considered incredibly unlikely. MWO is unofficially considered the PvP component of MW5, and I can guarantee that if Piranha told MWO players "Hey, we're adding multiplayer to otherwise-strictly-inferior MW5; we're shutting down the MWO servers but we'd really appreciate it if you all went and duplicated aaaaaaaaaalll of your spending again to rebuild your collection in MW5!", there would be commando raids on their headquarters by dawn. Possibly with actual Commandos. People would invent BattleMechs specifically to trample PGI's headquarters flat with them were Piranha to screw MWO players - who I may remind you, funded the development of MW5 and made it possible for Piranha to work on the game in the first place - so completely as to invalidate all their years of progress and play in MWO in a naked attempt to get them to do it all a second time in MW5.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:22 AM

We’ve long known that we’re not going to get melee combat in the current MWO game engine. mW5 is a different game engine and just got the first pass at melee combat. But yeah, as stated, no announcements to merge or convert MWO.

#4 HauptmanT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:48 AM

MW5 will die before MWO will.

Single player campaign games are fun, for a little while. Once you learn the AI's quirks, it just becomes stupid easy and you stop playing. Playing vs Humans however, it's always different, always a challange.

If Pirahna wants us to spend money again, it'll have to be on a new MWMMO with melee and tanks n aerospace n stuff. They will need to "WOW" us by making it massively multiplayer. Think Eve online, but with mechs and mining.

Hmm, I just thought of a new Rust mod!

Edited by HauptmanT, 21 September 2021 - 11:55 AM.

#5 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:03 PM

Nothing that we know of, though I suspect MWO will still be around when MW6: Attack of the Clans comes out.

#6 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 21 September 2021 - 12:09 PM

no and they shouldn't. let MW5 stay a PvE environment and MWO be PvP.

honestly though MW5 is only really playable with a couple of mods something that would never and should never work in a PvP game.

#7 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:09 PM

Given the only things pgi can do with mwo are reskin map,redo mech hard point, reskin mech and remove/add quirks I can paraphrase a movie quote:"There is no mwo, only mw5 dlc." When exactly was a real new map added to mwo and not a reskin/remake?

We've all seen their attempt at ai in mwo which was a total failure so bad they removed the mode of vip escrotch atlas for many reasons,chiefly to market mw5 more. When there was collisions/knock downs that was quickly abused and removed. If the game industry is currently following hollywood formula just wait long enough and mwo will get a reboot/remaster in a few years. Meanwhile who else wants kotor remastered?

#8 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 21 September 2021 - 01:23 PM

I would be happy to pay a nominal fee to transfer my MWO mech collection to any theoretical MWO sequel based on MW5

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 September 2021 - 02:28 PM

There have never been plans to merge them and I can't imagine they would ever try. Both games run on completely different game engines. Of course MWO would be the one to be converted to Unreal but that is a monumental undertaking requiring significant time, staffing, and money. None of which is financially viable to PGI since the return on investment is probably never going to be there. They'd lose money by doing it and it wouldn't probably prolong the life of MWO enough to make up the difference. Not unless the population booms dramatically, and even then, that's despite, not because of, an engine upgrade.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 September 2021 - 02:34 PM

At the end of the day, what matters to players isn't graphics, but gameplay. If the game is fun, they will play. If the game is fair, they will play. If the game is stable most of the time, they will play.

#11 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 02:55 PM

I would gladly delete my account for a real MMO MWO, with an economy that mattered.

#12 mareNight

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:04 PM

I generally agree with all that has been said. I feel that there's significant limitations due to the dated graphics engine that is MWO, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Consider this, MW5 DLC catches up to MWO, would it be all that monumental to duplicate active player inventories on MW5? Scrape off the skill system, and replace it with something fresh. (In this example, the campaign would be paid content, the PvP still free.)

I'm also not interested in spending money on both MW5 or MWO. It's either one or the other. Hence my preference for them to merge, i guess.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:07 PM

ive been playing mw5 (in vr) for the last two weeks or however long the vr mod has been available. but that only lasts so long, the novelty wears off and there just isn't enough variety in the game to continue. then mwo gives me a new source of novelty rejiggering all my ballistic lights to take advantage of all the ammo quirks and i havent played either of the last 2 map reduxes. these sources of novelty will also be short lived and i will oscillate back to mw5 for the dlc. without these new sources of novelty i dont think id bother with any game anymore. so long as those continue to exist i will play the games. though i will say it has a much bigger impact on mwo than on mw5. one can only shoot bots for so long before you require a human opponent. but novelty is good and it keeps the games alive. dont stop.

but if they continue making mw5 dlc, they will end up porting all the mwo assets over. and at that point why not replace mwo with a pvp dlc pack and continue to support it by further dlc packs (replacing the mech pack model). dlc coming with new features, new mech variants, and new weapons. you can ditch the f2p model entirely, because the people who love mechwarrior are willing to dish out absurd sums for it. and because you are on a solid, popular engine with a solid upgrade path, you will be able to sustain it a lot longer than a cryengine game, which was long in the tooth several years ago.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 September 2021 - 03:26 PM.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:39 PM

View Post1453 R, on 21 September 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

To the best of my knowledge, Piranha has never stated one way or another that they're going to merge the two games, but it's considered incredibly unlikely. MWO is unofficially considered the PvP component of MW5, and I can guarantee that if Piranha told MWO players "Hey, we're adding multiplayer to otherwise-strictly-inferior MW5; we're shutting down the MWO servers but we'd really appreciate it if you all went and duplicated aaaaaaaaaalll of your spending again to rebuild your collection in MW5!", there would be commando raids on their headquarters by dawn. Possibly with actual Commandos. People would invent BattleMechs specifically to trample PGI's headquarters flat with them were Piranha to screw MWO players - who I may remind you, funded the development of MW5 and made it possible for Piranha to work on the game in the first place - so completely as to invalidate all their years of progress and play in MWO in a naked attempt to get them to do it all a second time in MW5.

i think pgi has learned not to make far reaching promises. look at all the problems thats caused, with fp, the epic store debacle, and many more. better to wait until you know whats going to happen, and then do like what they did with the new dlc: boom out in two weeks, not 90 days, not 2 years and dropped a melee bomb on top of it. now thats how you launch a product! the big limit of mw5 is the lack of pve, and i think people will migrate in droves if that becomes a thing (like i migrated from mwll, which frankly was a better game than what mwo was at the time). pgi simply doesnt want to promise something that is a few years out before they even know if they can pull it off or not.

the spending dupe would be solved by avoiding the f2p model. you would have to buy mw5 (at what is likely a greatly reduced price by the time this happens) and the pvp pack (likely the price of a single mwo standard mechpack) and any dlc if you want access to those mechs/weapons/features. also the way the dlc is being handled, every time a pack comes out you have access to some of the features without buying the dlc, simply by playing with those that did. i expect those to also be at a greatly reduced price, with new dlc packs funding servers and continued development.

mwo players really dont get screwed, the game is old and people are ready for the next thing in mechwarrior. look at how many times i bought flight simulator, and that barely added a handful of new features with every iteration. and im like 100 times more enthusiastic about a mechwarrior product.

the practicality of matters is that pgi is more than capable of working on mw5 while their ability to work on mwo is severely limited by lack of cryengine experts, lack of support for the engine, and a missing senior coder that hasn't been around since around the clan invasion. mw5 is capable of evolving, while mwo is an evolutionary dead end with a mass of accumulated irreparable mistakes. the best they can do is change some numbers and redux some maps. the more content gets ported over, the closer mw5 is at hosting pvp.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 September 2021 - 03:53 PM.

#15 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 07:43 PM

I think the best we can hope is for someone to mod pvp into MW5. I mean it's not such a stretch that if down the road MWO isn't doing well. And they just decide to release some kind of pvp component to MW5. Perhaps solaris or something. Since they can't really do it justice in MWO. And who knows. Perhaps they'll make an MWO2.0 built off MW5.

#16 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 21 September 2021 - 09:48 PM

1. There are online games out there (say ST:O) that has both PvE (mainly) and also areas where there are PvP (cooperative and pure Player vs Player). These can coexist!

2. If MWO starts another "Founder" package for MWO2 on a new game engine, I personally would be willing to shell out!

3. When MW5 has matured, I would probably buy the entire MW5 (+ all DLC packages) all in one go, from GOG.com where your MW5 should have no DRM restrictions upon installation. So I can install MW5 long after MW5 servers and Steam dies.
(Don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that all online game does one day, eventually, say, after 50 years of operations?).

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 21 September 2021 - 12:09 PM, said:

no and they shouldn't. let MW5 stay a PvE environment and MWO be PvP. honestly though MW5 is only really playable with a couple of mods something that would never and should never work in a PvP game.

#17 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 22 September 2021 - 02:16 AM

MW5 was the real Wish from Russ bullock ...MWO and PvP the wish of the IGP moneygiving Partner ,after the Transverse Disaster PGI lost her Technical Senior Crew, the Main Coders and Programmers and not find new Members thats will worked with a old heavy modified Cry 3 Engine ...so MW5 with UE was the only right step ,and its give many Coders and Programmers for the MW5 engine of the Jobmarket

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 22 September 2021 - 02:20 AM.

#18 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 04:20 AM

Pokèmon MWO and you have a win.

If you can trade mechs from one game to another, 3rd game without any development

Because them spend making 2 games and once that cycle is completed all that time is wasted.

The engine is not a limit for combat, the production of the game is, because to add new things would be to make a new game.

Once production finished all that time wasted remaking all content. That's why we have remasters because them can pay for updates.

#19 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:12 AM

View PostHauptmanT, on 21 September 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

MW5 will die before MWO will.

Single player campaign games are fun, for a little while. Once you learn the AI's quirks, it just becomes stupid easy and you stop playing. Playing vs Humans however, it's always different, always a challange.

If Pirahna wants us to spend money again, it'll have to be on a new MWMMO with melee and tanks n aerospace n stuff. They will need to "WOW" us by making it massively multiplayer. Think Eve online, but with mechs and mining.

Hmm, I just thought of a new Rust mod!

That i disagree - MW5 will stil live and be played, maybe even modded, when MWO hast long shut doors closed.
The Moment the Licence is gone Serers go off line and thats it - MW5 will still be there!

#20 Alexander of Macedon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:50 PM

MW5 definitely has better AI opponents and lancemates than MWO most of the time, so it's got that going for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users