No Spam In Chat, Recent Controversy Opinion

182 replies to this topic

#81 Commoners

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 October 2021 - 11:48 PM

For those of you who are wondering why some of us are automatically abrasive if you are genuinely arguing in favor of removing talk of anything outside of the game in chat to maintain peace versus arguing for that same thing in a bad-faith way to skirt around outright saying that you're willing to throw out all conversation in the game as a way to block out mention of lgbtq people, just look at Cherokee Rose's series of posts and note when the ulterior motive shifts to the front.

It's such a common tool to use the pretenses of civility and sincerity that people who try to use them in an argument are automatically assumed to be suspicious, and the people who aren't familiar with arguing with guys who use this tactic are taken aback when they think the other person is being overly hostile. Dudes like this know how ugly it can look to the true moderates and fence-sitters in a conversation when they take the mask off and show that they weren't actually that moderate to begin with.

That's why it usually stays on, but holy **** lmao.

Edited by Commoners, 04 October 2021 - 11:57 PM.

#82 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 12:00 AM

View PostCommoners, on 04 October 2021 - 11:48 PM, said:

For those of you who are wondering why some of us are automatically abrasive if you are genuinely arguing in favor of removing talk of anything outside of the game in chat to maintain peace versus arguing for that same thing in a bad-faith way to skirt around outright saying that you're willing to throw out all conversation in the game as a way to block out mention of lgbtq people, just look at Cherokee Rose's series of posts and note when the ulterior motive shifts to the front.

It's such a common tool to use the pretenses of civility and sincerity that people who try to use them in an argument are automatically assumed to be suspicious, and the people who aren't familiar with arguing with guys who use this tactic are taken aback when they think the other person is being overly hostile. Dudes like this know how ugly it can look to the true moderates and fence-sitters in a conversation when they take the mask off and show that they weren't actually that moderate to begin with.

That's why it usually stays on, but holy **** lmao.
I kinda blame myself for his going off. I'm usually pretty reasonable but at this point I'm so sick of these arguments that I've become pretty intolerant of ********.

#83 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 12:01 AM

View Postccrider, on 05 October 2021 - 12:00 AM, said:

I kinda blame myself for his going off. I'm usually pretty reasonable but at this point I'm so sick of these arguments that I've become pretty intolerant of ********.

nah. there's nothing you could say that these clowns wouldn't find fault with anyhow.

#84 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 12:02 AM

View PostKaio-Kerensky x10, on 05 October 2021 - 12:01 AM, said:

nah. there's nothing you could say that these clowns wouldn't find fault with anyhow.
im not saying I feel bad about it.

Edited by ccrider, 05 October 2021 - 12:04 AM.

#85 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 12:06 AM

i feel like the lesson here is that people need to get less mad about trans people existing and get more mad about the cancellation of charles in charge

that's the real cancel culture

#86 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 05 October 2021 - 01:16 AM

You can turn off all.

But if you a REAL warrior, you should take much more attention to fight and map, not chat. Looks like you dont.

#87 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 05 October 2021 - 02:20 AM

Be careful what you wish for . . .

Posted Image

Edited by PeppaPig, 05 October 2021 - 02:21 AM.

#88 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 05 October 2021 - 03:57 AM

View PostDanichi Itobar, on 04 October 2021 - 01:37 PM, said:

I have to express my displeasure over the recent events regarding the trans rights team and the way PGI folded under pressure. While I agree, that if the team names were for positive reasons, they should be allowed to keep them, free speech and all. But for God sake, STOP SPAMMING THE CHAT WITH ANYTHING OUTSIDE GAMEPLAY!!!. I was on the server one night with the person in question and they, he, she or whatever keept spamming "trans rights" in the chat. This should not be allowed, not because of what was being spammed, but simply because it disrupts gameplay. This persons actions in game were without doubt to inflame and start issues with other players who would dare say something derogatory to our SJW overloards.

Look, I play games to escape the world, politics and realities of our world, not to be irritated by trolls looking to weed out people who dont agree with an agenda. Was I offended? Na, my skins not that thin. Sure, ALL people should have ALL rights , I agree with the sentiment, but that sentiment should not be SPAMMED OVER IN GAME MESSAGES! I lost a match because I couldn't read my teammates calling out enemies over the chat because the spam kept suppressing it ! I only care about my KD and having fun when I'm playing a video game, do you get me here!

I don't care if you're and Martian who wants to marry a rock, you should have rights, but NO ONE should have the right to spam, troll or detract in anyway from good, fun gameplay! Am I wrong here?

the TOS needs to include spamming of non gameplay related messages as a bannable offence with warnings and suspensions prior to the ban. This post in ONLY an appeal for anti spam measures and in no way an attack on a group of people.

Block the person if the spam is too much for you. You know PGI made the reversal in response to the team names, right? NOT the in game spam. Which was in response to the team name censoring as an act of protest. You KNOW this.

Edited by Pika, 05 October 2021 - 04:33 AM.

#89 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:16 AM

Due to its political content, this thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions

#90 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:19 AM

View PostEkson Valdez, on 05 October 2021 - 04:16 AM, said:

[mod]Due to its political content, this thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions[/mod]

Should have been in KAETETÔÃ

#91 McNuggernauts

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:21 AM

View PostEscef, on 04 October 2021 - 04:33 PM, said:

Really? Because McNug certainly implied it. If McNug has an issue, let 'em clarify on their own.

I'm not the kind of person to imply things in my speech, I say what I mean and nothing extra should be read into it. If you think I implied anything other than the exact words I said then that's just you and your biases coming to the surface.

#92 Pika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 568 posts
  • LocationLiverpool, UK

Posted 05 October 2021 - 04:21 AM

View PostEkson Valdez, on 05 October 2021 - 04:16 AM, said:

[mod]Due to its political content, this thread has been moved to Off Topic Discussions[/mod]

While I don't disagree with moving it to OT, I wasn't aware "People Exist" was a political stance or statement.

Not very cool, tbh.

#93 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 05 October 2021 - 05:31 AM

PGI was always likely to have to give in. It's not because they wanted to, and for once I do agree with GM Patience's moderation - spamming chat is just irritating regardless of the content. Plus Veigle got a similar telling off. BUT PGI also DID promote LGBT/gay stuff on their twitter, so they took a stance on this already in a way that is tied to their company image. Catch-22 really, though I do wish the people spamming that stuff would grow up. If someone gets kicked out of a unit in the game for {insert reason here} bringing that baggage into the game and forums and reddit etc is just not appropriate.

#94 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:06 AM

Considering I expected this thread to be erased from existence and everyone in it to be handed a temp ban, I find myself pleasantly surprised by Piranha's forbearance in simply moving it.

Now to see how many of these folks stick to their "All LGBTQ+ people should just shut the f@#$ up forever, keep getting killed in back alleys, and let the rest of us forget they exist" stances here in Off-Topic. Should be enlightening, for sure.

#95 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:25 AM

That you expected (wanted?) this thread to vanish and people get banned says more about you than the people posting in the thread, who, last time I checked, weren't in favour of anyone being killed. But such is the way with politicized discourse is it not? One side says "Well I don't quite agree w~" and the other immediately screams "AAAH! {Godwin's Law}!" Or "AAAH! Commie!" Or whatever. From the point of view of people who would just prefer their game to not become the latest reddit battleground, you're all as remarkably tiring as one another. Also, {your political view} is wrong.

Edit: Love that Godwin's Law substitution hahah =)

Edited by RickySpanish, 05 October 2021 - 06:26 AM.

#96 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 06:42 AM

Wanted? No.

Expected? Absolutely.

Most game companies will go as far out of their way as they have to in order to quash any sort of political, current-events, or world trouble discussions on their boards. Sometimes for good reason, more often for bad.. But when one of the earlier posts in this very thread was "cool, then we're all agreed to never talk about trans people ever again ever, Good Talk", you're gonna get heated responses.

Note that my first two responses in this thread - and I was the very first person to respond to Danichi - was simply "report nonconstructive comments and move on, let's not do this here." But then other folks came in with their "why do all these damn dirty trannies gotta ruin my giant robit shooting with their whole existing thing?", and it flipped some people's switches. On the one hand, good to know a few folks around here are blatantly anti-trans and I can safely ignore them in the future. On the other hand, wasn't expecting it here in this forum and ended up a little pissed off.

Pardon me for not particularly caring for being told to shut up and stop existing, ne?

#97 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:02 AM

View Post1453 R, on 05 October 2021 - 06:42 AM, said:

Wanted? No.

Expected? Absolutely.

Most game companies will go as far out of their way as they have to in order to quash any sort of political, current-events, or world trouble discussions on their boards. Sometimes for good reason, more often for bad.. But when one of the earlier posts in this very thread was "cool, then we're all agreed to never talk about trans people ever again ever, Good Talk", you're gonna get heated responses.

Note that my first two responses in this thread - and I was the very first person to respond to Danichi - was simply "report nonconstructive comments and move on, let's not do this here." But then other folks came in with their "why do all these damn dirty trannies gotta ruin my giant robit shooting with their whole existing thing?", and it flipped some people's switches. On the one hand, good to know a few folks around here are blatantly anti-trans and I can safely ignore them in the future. On the other hand, wasn't expecting it here in this forum and ended up a little pissed off.

Pardon me for not particularly caring for being told to shut up and stop existing, ne?

Uwotm8?

The post you linked me to reads:

"So we agree. Lets all shut up about everything but mechwarrior and battletech.

Good talk."

You completely changed what was written. Why?

And this:

"Note that my first two responses in this thread - and I was the very first person to respond to Danichi - was simply "report nonconstructive comments and move on, let's not do this here."

Is nonsense. You very well know that you incited a response with your first two posts, you were not at all neutral as you claim to be.

And this is the great, big, problem isn't it? Everyone thinks theirs is the fair view. Theirs is the "simply being polite" or "simply stating the facts" view. No sir, it wasn't me, I didn't poke the bear sir.

Please. You're just the other side of the same coin.

And with that, I shall duck out of this increasingly pointless thread. Have a good
evening lads.

Edited by RickySpanish, 05 October 2021 - 07:10 AM.

#98 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:12 AM

I rephrased what was written to convey the same message in a different tone.

Amazing how often simply flipping the filter on the same message can produce such radical seeming-differences. Also fun to see someone yell "that's not what I meant at all! DX" when it's absolutely what they meant and they're just pissed off someone simply decided to call them on it.

I don't stand for this nonsensical "I'm going to reasonably request deeply unreasonable things" business so many people hide behind these days. I will make sure the request is absolutely every bit as unreasonable as it should be. Asking for people to stop spamming the in-match chat with non game related stuff? Reasonable. And the answer there is also both reasonable and well-known - report for nonconstructive posting, mute the offending players, and move on.

Pulling a SixthMessenger and "reasonably requesting" that LGBTQ+ folk go back to being a silent, beaten, ostracized minority that meekly accepts being harshly punished with everything up to and including being f@#$ing murdered for the crime of wanting to express themselves, their experiences, and their desires? Not quite so reasonable.

#99 MT Slayer

Banned-Cheating

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:17 AM

View PostEscef, on 04 October 2021 - 03:50 PM, said:

Check it out, you can pull up the scoreboard, click on a name, and block them. If you feel they're being disruptive, feel free to report them, too. I know there's one or two members of the Cauldron that have a reputation for being toxic in-game, but PGI has decided to give them seats at the design table rather than reprimands. /shrug

The blocking is broken I still have to listen to Sean Lang no matter how many times I block and un block him before during or after a match.

Edited by MT Slayer, 05 October 2021 - 07:24 AM.

#100 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 05 October 2021 - 07:54 AM

View PostCherokeeRose, on 04 October 2021 - 07:08 PM, said:

Corona Virus

What makes me sad is a pandemic and a vaccine have become political issues. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users