Mechwarrior Online October Dev Log

62 replies to this topic

#21 Aivazovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 06:58 AM

Vlog about MWO on the main page of mwomercs.com? Finally! Thanks, Matt!

#22 P H O T O N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:04 AM

Thanks for the development log, Daeron, Matt, and Francois. I'm really excited to play the new maps and for the future of the game.

I still ABSOLUTELY love this game and it's good to see you all continue to push it forward! This game is still tremendous fun, please keep doing what you're doing.

Edited by Titan Prometheus, 06 November 2021 - 12:42 AM.

#23 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:31 AM

View PostLepestok, on 02 November 2021 - 12:20 AM, said:

I don't doubt François's skill at making good maps in terms of balance. But from a visual point of view, his maps are much inferior to vanilla ones.

Vanilla maps had artists making assets for them. Francois doesn't have artists making assets for him, so he's recycling bits from other maps, etc. A lot of the old maps have specific geometry that only exists in that one place on the one map that some artist hand-crafted to fill the space. That was one of the things they mentioned when they redid HPG and why it took so much effort.

#24 Flanking Boy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:36 AM

Hi
I think you guys are missing one important annual reward

"the Pack hoarders rewards" a reward for the people that have bought all the mech pack this year.
that could probably also make me buy the last one i am missing Posted Image

and it should just be a lot of junk since its a hoarders reward Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#25 Wid1046

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 07:47 AM

Thank you for finally having another Dev Log. It at least provides a bit of hope that some of the missed targets for this year will eventually get done.

The looking forward section was a bit sparse as it was basically just saying that things are behind schedule due to localization while not giving any new dates for when they'll get done. I do hope that you actually get around to creating a new roadmap. The Dev Logs were supposed to be twice a month, not once every six months, so I'm not overly confident that a new roadmap will show up before the end of the year.

#26 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:22 AM

Anyone else as curious as I am over the "BLT when it comes out" comment?

#27 Thief

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:48 AM

Спасибо за информацию, извините за русский, но мой английский плох. По поводу языкового барьера согласен. Большая проблема, когда ты понимаешь о чём говорят, но с трудом можешь подобрать слова, чтобы ответить, но я над этим работаю. Спасибо за возможность учиться воспринимать английскую речь на слух. Извините если я иногда бываю не сдержан в бою, это не со зла. Благодаря Вам (я о сообществе игроков) я становлюсь спокойнее и сдержаннее.

Надеюсь гугл переводчик поможет вам лучше понять мою мысль.

Edited by Thief, 02 November 2021 - 08:55 AM.

#28 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 02 November 2021 - 09:32 AM

Batch Reply #2 ... Geez ... I get behind quick, don't I? :(
(At least I can still reasonably put proper gaps between reply sections to separate whom I'm talking to!)

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 02 November 2021 - 05:51 AM, said:

The fact that they were talking about Decemebr 14th Posted Image

Indeed... Thank You for calling me out on that one. I had to go back and re-check the Auto-Gen Transcript that YouTube provides with the video. Anywho, I tweaked my previous post to deal with that slip-up. There's no question I'll have to be a little more careful with how I listen to a video in the future, as well as how I read the Transcript made available with it. :)

View Postcrazytimes, on 02 November 2021 - 01:09 AM, said:

Remember how we talked about no one wants to watch an hour long video when the actual information could be conveyed in a handful of bullet points?

You can not turn images into a bunch of Bullet Points and meager sets of ten words or less. It just doesn't work out that way, period. Images are generally worth a thousand words, and I'm sure you don't want to spend a while reading through a whole wall of text that gets much longer than my own posts. Please try watching the video at 1.1x or whatever comfortable faster setting which you can use. I think you'll find watching a 40-minute video to be much less problematic. :huh:

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 02 November 2021 - 01:36 AM, said:

Year 2020 wants his roadmap back! Posted Image

View PostWid1046, on 02 November 2021 - 07:47 AM, said:

Thank you for finally having another Dev Log. It at least provides a bit of hope that some of the missed targets for this year will eventually get done.

The looking forward section was a bit sparse as it was basically just saying that things are behind schedule due to localization while not giving any new dates for when they'll get done. I do hope that you actually get around to creating a new roadmap. The Dev Logs were supposed to be twice a month, not once every six months, so I'm not overly confident that a new roadmap will show up before the end of the year.

You two and your roadmaps... You have succeeded in setting me off, and I don't come down on people unless necessary to do so... At least I've still got enough of my head together to keep it proper/appropriate/reasonable/humane in handling you two... -_-

Do you really think that such a strict thing can be adhered to after we've recently been pushed into a pandemic-affected era? Do you really think that a strict thing like a Roadmap can be adhered to when the crew at PGI handling our beloved MWO has been reduced to a minor few people and some outsourcing of tasks? Do you seriously and really think that such a strict Roadmap object can be adhered to anymore when resources at PGI in terms of both humans and other items have been yanked off to other things, having been taken away by people who are higher up than our rather awesome Mr. 'Matt Newman' himself, and Matt (and whoever he has access to,'Daeron Katz' included) is being strained to the limit in terms of what he (and all of them) can currently do anyway? <_<

I don't think that I have ever seen such a level of insensitivity directed at one person (two if you include 'Daeron Katz' too) ever in my life. Unfortunately, 'AnAnachronismAlive' & 'Wid1046', you both need to realize that a Roadmap is no longer a reasonable (or even safely possible) item to either make or maintain, because the future has been forced into a fluid state against everyone's collective wants, wishes, wills, and so on. I'm actually one of those who gets the strain which those two are under, particularly since they are PGI's public face for MWO at this time, and they don't need the extra stress. Avoid pressing on 'Matt Newman' & 'Daeron Katz' for a Roadmap until they can get MWO back into a far more stable & player-populated state of affairs. They're already metaphorically "under the gun" just trying to deal with what they already have on their shoulders, and don't need any more pressure! You two should even be able to realize that if I'm stepping forward and defending both 'Matt Newman' & 'Daeron Katz' together, then the two of you whom I'm addressing, 'AnAnachronismAlive' & 'Wid1046', have utterly and thoroughly blown it!!! :angry:

(Oh, and you two can totally thank the IRL jerk on my street with a jackhammer bothering me while I was typing this section of the post for keeping me riled up, and therefore making me have to check myself about sixteen times while typing this!!!)

View PostGas Guzzler, on 02 November 2021 - 08:22 AM, said:

Anyone else as curious as I am over the "BLT when it comes out" comment?

I'm sure a good jaunt around Sarna.Net's BattleTech Wiki could get us an answer. At least, normally it can... ;)

And then I tried... Dangit... The closest which I can manage is a German Translation of the identifier for the Trebuchet BattleMech itself... Or it might even be the identifier of something called the "BattleRider" that was marked with a "BLT-2R" Variant indication, but searching further for that one failed badly. I'm afraid that something tells me we totally did not hear Francois correctly or something. Oh well, at least their leak failed to become one, eh? :unsure:

If that wasn't bad enough, guess what? I tried using Google to see if it was possible to get more info, but the results did not turn up fruitful at all. At this point, my only guess is some serious apocryphal creation, but I think my guess is so far from the truth that even I should call it absurd! :rolleyes:

Now then... What was I about to do... Oh yeah, now I remember... <* walks off *>

~D. V. "Possibly slightly more cranky then normal while tracking the 2021 October Developer VLog Thread???" Devnull

#29 KnightKnownasNii

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 37 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAnkeny, IA

Posted 02 November 2021 - 11:54 AM

Ok, a few things I want to touch base on.

1. Balancing - This game isn't balanced by any stretch of any imagination. if balanced looks like IS being able to beat clans in every faction drop due to their ability to take more damage, hit clans at longer ranges and keep us from being able to play game modes as they are meant to be played, then you are doing great. But balanced, no. We should be able to do the exact same thing across the board if you want balance, but that isn't the case. I understand that clans have an upper hand at range if you are following lore, but what you did was basicilly give IS the clan advantage of range and made us become the duelers all while having the weaker chassis and lacking ability to keep heat down with firepower. What I see is the continued favoritism for IS and the nerfing of the clan. I think you guys need to drop in on some of these faction drops and watch what happens. In fact, I invite you to do a few faction drops with us at CGBI, one of the older, original clans of MWO, and see what I mean personally. Then you can get some feedback from a lot of us veteran players that have been a part of MWO from day 1. So send me a message or email me. You have my information. We would love to have you come in and listen to us loyal players.

2. Fixing the "tab out" crashes - This has been a issue for a long time. Why are we not trying to find the cause and fix it?

3. Maps - The city maps seem to be bogging some computers down and some maps just aren't fun at all. If you go look at the numbers, you will see that specific maps get played way more than others. So, if you are going to design new maps, look at what people like and maybe ask what they like about specific maps. I know for us clanners, we discourage hot maps due to our lacking ability to do well in heat. Our firepower is nerfed, heat increased, and ability to take hits is minimal at best.

Please take in account of these issues, and know that there are many more I am sure, that should all be discussed with the players like ourselves. We gave up trying to say anything because it seemed to fall on deaf ears. I am hoping this time, it does not.

Edited by KnightKnownasNii, 02 November 2021 - 12:05 PM.

#30 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 02 November 2021 - 12:46 PM

I hope to purchase these directly from www.mwomercs.com website in 2022!

+1 Steam Mech Performance Pack !!

http://mwomercs.com/...-the-gift-store

http://mwomercs.com/...e-through-steam

http://mwomercs.com/...rformance-packs

- - - - - - - - - - - -
http://web.archive.o....com/dlc/342200

Lights
Inner Sphere: Raven RVN-3L(S)
Clan: Arctic Cheetah ACH-PRIME(S)
Inner Sphere: Panther PNT-10K(S)
Clan: Mist Lynx MLX-PRIME(S)

Mediums
Inner Sphere: Hunchback HBK-4P(S)
Clan: Stormcrow SCR-PRIME(S)
Inner Sphere: Crab CRB-27B(S)
Clan: Shadow Cat SHC-PRIME(S)

Heavies
Inner Sphere: ThunderBolt TDR-9SE(S) ==> superceded by Stryker Pack
Clan: Timber Wolf TBR-C(S) ==> superceded by Warden Pack
Inner Sphere: Grasshopper GHR-5H(S)
Clan: Ebon Jaguar EBJ-PRIME(S)

Assaults
Inner Sphere: Zeus ZEU-6T(S)
Clan: Warhawk WHK-C(S)
Inner Sphere: King Crab KGC-000B(S)
Clan: Dire Wolf DWF-W(S)

- - - - - - - - - - - -
My own personal Christmas shopping list from above Posted Image
Raven RVN-3L(S)
Hunchback HBK-4P(S)
Crab CRB-27B(S)
Grasshopper GHR-5H(S)
Thunderbolt TDR-9SE(S)
King Crab KGC-000B(S)
Warhawk WHK-C(S)
Dire Wolf DWF-W(S)

View PostDousk, on 01 November 2021 - 11:36 PM, said:

Thats awesome! Great work all
Overall I like the latest changes to the game and I'm really looking forward for the new map

One thing I think could improve a LOT though is the Steam store, can we have some love there?
It has been neglected for so long now..
Would love to see some booster/hero packs and maybe also bring back the performance packs that disappeared from there a long time ago? Posted Image

Edited by w0qj, 03 November 2021 - 04:08 PM.

#31 Wid1046

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 12:53 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 02 November 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

[Redacted]

You two and your roadmaps... You have succeeded in setting me off, and I don't come down on people unless necessary to do so... At least I've still got enough of my head together to keep it proper/appropriate/reasonable/humane in handling you two... Posted Image

[Redacted]

then the two of you whom I'm addressing, 'AnAnachronismAlive' & 'Wid1046', have utterly and thoroughly blown it!!! Posted Image
[Redacted]

Dude, chill. Asking for an updated roadmap (which they promised in this video if you somehow missed it) isn't insulting.

View PostD V Devnull, on 02 November 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

[Redacted]
Unfortunately, 'AnAnachronismAlive' & 'Wid1046', you both need to realize that a Roadmap is no longer a reasonable (or even safely possible) item to either make or maintain, because the future has been forced into a fluid state against everyone's collective wants, wishes, wills, and so on. I'm actually one of those who gets the strain which those two are under, particularly since they are PGI's public face for MWO at this time, and they don't need the extra stress. Avoid pressing on 'Matt Newman' & 'Daeron Katz' for a Roadmap until they can get MWO back into a far more stable & player-populated state of affairs. They're already metaphorically "under the gun" just trying to deal with what they already have on their shoulders, and don't need any more pressure! You two should even be able to realize that if I'm stepping forward and defending both 'Matt Newman' & 'Daeron Katz' together, then the two of you whom I'm addressing, 'AnAnachronismAlive' & 'Wid1046', have utterly and thoroughly blown it!!! Posted Image
[Redacted]

I fail to see how a roadmap is no longer, in your words, "reasonable (or even safely possible) item to either make or maintain". Even forgetting the 'safely possible' bit, how would making a plan somehow not be reasonable? This is more than a year into the pandemic, people have been working remotely for a while and should know by now how that affects the rate at which work can be done. They also should know what resources they have now. The roadmap might not include much (if they have had their resources taken away), but that is also a roadmap.

"particularly since they are PGI's public face for MWO at this time" If they really were acting as the public face of PGI, then they'd actually show up more than just to promote mech packs and ramen noodles. They promised a Dev Log twice a month and it has been just over six months since the last one. So this should have been the 12th Dev Log since the last one was made; hitting only 8.3% of your expected goals is a bit of a miss.

I get that they must be extremely short staffed. Other than things fed to them by the Cauldron, they've pretty much only done some map updates and created a couple new skins to sell their new mech packs. For almost an entire year of work that is not great, so it certainly seems like only Francois is still regularly working on MWO. That can still be announced and planned for though. Just announce what we can still expect to happen and whether or not it will happen in the next year.

Edit: According to Phil (in the video directly below my comment) I'm actually wrong about there only being Francois working full time on the game up until now. There have actually been two people working on this full time (Francois and Mark), so I was off by one. Apparently they've hired a third full time employee, so we can expect maybe a little more progress? He confirmed Daeron and Matt work on other projects and just show up now and then. Someone named Nico has apparently also touched on MWO part-time, but even Phil has no idea what he does.

I should also clarify that I do not blame the people working on MWO for the lack of progress. It is PGI's fault for not giving reasonable resources. Two dedicated personnel is what you'd give to a game in maintenance mode, not a game that is supposedly still being worked on.

Edited by Wid1046, 02 November 2021 - 02:58 PM.

#32 P H O T O N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 12:55 PM

Have just seen the new No Guts No Galaxy vid. Can PGI please offer Phil a job! He is the perfect person to push MWO to the next level.

Edited by Titan Prometheus, 02 November 2021 - 01:05 PM.

#33 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 677 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 02 November 2021 - 01:41 PM

New Mechs and new maps (not redone maps which always seem to garner more negative than positive reviews) are all I'm really concerned with atm. There are still some holes and roles to fill.

Edited by -Ramrod-, 02 November 2021 - 01:42 PM.

#34 Worthog AC

Rookie

• Heavy Lifter
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 02:47 PM

Keep up the great work team MWO!!! I can't wait for the new maps. I appreciate the amount of work it is to create a new mech chassis, so I have no issue with and would love to see additional variants of existing mechs to keep the content fresh.

#35 Wid1046

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 04:48 PM

No Guts No Galaxy just put up a review/summary of the Dev Log. Phil raises some pretty good points about it.

#36 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 02 November 2021 - 04:52 PM

(Advance notice to anyone reading this post down the line... This post has been made without intent to do any "Name & Shame" junk, and must EXPLICITLY NOT be misinterpreted in that manner!!! NEVER TAKE IT THAT WAY, or you will only be helping previous bad actors hurt MWO to death!!!)

View PostWid1046, on 02 November 2021 - 12:53 PM, said:

Dude, chill. Asking for an updated roadmap (which they promised in this video if you somehow missed it) isn't insulting.

<<< snip caused by the Forum Software >>>

I fail to see how a roadmap is no longer, in your words, "reasonable (or even safely possible) item to either make or maintain". Even forgetting the 'safely possible' bit, how would making a plan somehow not be reasonable? This is more than a year into the pandemic, people have been working remotely for a while and should know by now how that affects the rate at which work can be done. They also should know what resources they have now. The roadmap might not include much (if they have had their resources taken away), but that is also a roadmap.

"particularly since they are PGI's public face for MWO at this time" If they really were acting as the public face of PGI, then they'd actually show up more than just to promote mech packs and ramen noodles. They promised a Dev Log twice a month and it has been just over six months since the last one. So this should have been the 12th Dev Log since the last one was made; hitting only 8.3% of your expected goals is a bit of a miss.

I get that they must be extremely short staffed. Other than things fed to them by the Cauldron, they've pretty much only done some map updates and created a couple new skins to sell their new mech packs. For almost an entire year of work that is not great, so it certainly seems like only Francois is still regularly working on MWO. That can still be announced and planned for though. Just announce what we can still expect to happen and whether or not it will happen in the next year.

Edit: According to Phil (in the video directly below my comment) I'm actually wrong about there only being Francois working full time on the game up until now. There have actually been two people working on this full time (Francois and Mark), so I was off by one. Apparently they've hired a third full time employee, so we can expect maybe a little more progress? He confirmed Daeron and Matt work on other projects and just show up now and then. Someone named Nico has apparently also touched on MWO part-time, but even Phil has no idea what he does.

I should also clarify that I do not blame the people working on MWO for the lack of progress. It is PGI's fault for not giving reasonable resources. Two dedicated personnel is what you'd give to a game in maintenance mode, not a game that is supposedly still being worked on.

Hello there, Wid1046... To give you a rough idea, they're worse off than just short-staffed right now. We can thank (sarcastically) people higher up than 'Matt Newman', likely including who I last heard to be PGI's publicly visible Company President at the time, for taking away available Staff and causing the MWO crew to be down to a "Mini-Size Skeleton Crew" at this time. (I think you know who I am talking about there, but I'm not going to cross into Name & Shame territory here, period!) As of current, I've personally heard references to the total of these six people working on MWO at this time...
  • 'Matt Newman' (If it weren't for them keeping the Events System running, MWO would likely have been dead about two years ago, if my memory serves. That would have meant MWO died during the year I was out, so I'm at least glad they were able to stave off MWO dying long enough to get it another chance at living!)
  • 'Daeron Katz' (Most people around know him already, so I think I can get away without saying more?)
  • 'Francois Tremblay' (exact in-game name still unknown at this time, or I would probably have tried to add them to my friendlist because of the interesting maps which already exist... They do good Maps give or take some clutter and placement, and I really wish they would reveal their self in the Map Feedback area of the Forums here so I could better converse with them... And yet I suppose they enjoy hiding, but I would not assume either way on that one....... Dang, that reminds me... I still haven't posted my expansion idea for them to see about Canyon Network either!!!)
  • 'Mark Nicholson' (Other than a couple coloring-related hiccups, they're doing beautiful with the new Mech-based Modeling & Art that's coming out, and I hope to see their horizons expand as their knowledge & ability grows)
  • someone referred to as 'Indy' (might be nice to hear more about what they're up to, and was mentioned in another video or article, but I guess they don't want to say at this time)
  • someone referred to as 'Nico' (might be nice to hear more about what they're up to, but I guess there is nobody willing to say anything at this time)
...and I'm really glad we have anyone at all still able to touch MWO currently, because this game would likely have died by now without their help. So, if what you're telling me about Matt & Daeron is indeed true, then MWO is even more severely in trouble than I thought. We know that Francois handles the Maps and has brought forth a number of significant updates, and that Mark handles the Modeling & Art for the Mechs which have been recently released and we all are getting to enjoy the change in experience from. But it also happens that I've heard Matt is having trouble getting their hands on available Engineers to really get in under MWO's hood and fix the game's underlying hard code. :o

And that brings me back to something... I was EXPLICITLY NOT saying that your request for a RoadMap was insulting, as I very much saw no insult in it... If that had been the case, then I would have pulled the trigger on the "Report Post" function about "Staff Abuse" instead of replying to you before. (You really mistook my words on that one!) I merely feel that trying to ask for one is insensitive at this time because it calls for and expects more than is possible to be provided. In the past, almost every time that any of the following people...
  • 'Russ Bullock'
  • 'Paul Inouye'
  • 'Chris Lowrey'
  • (and I'm sure that I've missed some other people here, such as some who were reporting proxies, but I am not sure I know who right now... Maybe you want to fill in the blanks there???)
...and now with the potential to include... ...on that list have attempted to provide a RoadMap of any kind, there have been repeated bad actors in the Community which have jumped all over them way too much for not meeting any exact time limits without Bugs or something else in the final result that should not have been present. There have also been bad actors in the Community that jump all over them for PGI doing things in their chosen particular order because those bad actors think something is so overwhelmingly more important that it should be done before anything else, even when it was not feasibly/reasonably/safely in any way possible to do so. The outcome afterward was something so far blown sideways that it felt like the original goals were entirely missed. That has made it near impossible to get any of PGI's Staff to stay around in the Forums and converse with the Community in the only place which is officially set up within MWO's own website domain. The thing is, I know that loss in Communication is something which is also hurting MWO in general, and something I personally wish to see repaired/fixed/restored into a state hundreds of magnitudes better than it has ever been. That in turn has made it a headache trying to convey any useful thoughts that MWO could use for someone like me who prefers to stick to these Forums and really doesn't like Twitter (and other third-party areas) in any way at all. But then with the current era of things keeping everything metaphorically up-for-grabs and in the air, I now fully know that everything is impossible to set in stone in any way. It was previously said by Matt & Daeron in one of the previous Developer VLogs which was published, our much-wanted MWO currently does not have a full crew, and Matt does not always have access to everything/everyone needed to get things rolling with MWO and make them happen. At this point, they're only really able to say what's coming shortly before it arrives, and that's all. Trying to go back to a RoadMap again has become a trap of over-expectation of things, and we don't need to be putting Matt (Who has been trying to keep it friendly, I think? Although there's been no word back on the Loot Bags and their real ending date, unfortunately... but I'm not gonna expect perfection after trying to ask twice and my own flubbing up the first time...) through that situation. It has become better to let the items now emerging into MWO remain like a gift box of chocolates or other sweet things, where one does not know what's fully there until they actually get a good taste of it. To lose any more of MWO's Staff now because they didn't want to put up with the Community would likely put the final series of nails in a coffin that MWO should not end up trapped within. So you can pretty much now see why it is that I prefer the idea of avoiding prodding for a RoadMap of any kind. If they wish to release one, they can do it eventually in whatever good time they feel is reasonable, but we should not force the expectation of one... well, unless we want to be doomed to repeat the mistakes of RoadMap Releases from the past! :(

~D. V. "our duo of Matt & Daeron are still gathering what can make MWO great again... let's not blow that for them" Devnull

(p.s.: By the way, you do get my thanks here for triggering my memory about wanting to whip up an idea to expand the design of Canyon Network a bit further. I have soooooo gotta get that done, so Thank You!!!)

[Micro-Edit by the Post Author to pick up the rest of 'Wid1046's Quote that was missed during the initial time of beginning this Reply Posting to them.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 02 November 2021 - 04:54 PM.

#37 Xaius

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 05:54 PM

To begin this essay of a post: I am perfectly fine with certain maps favoring certain play-styles, and I actually think that it is a good thing for the game in moderation. Maps are part of a pool, they shouldn't be treated as completely independent systems.

I think sniping is indirectly a bit too powerful on most of the new maps, due to the fact that there actually are so many different ways to play on the updated ones. This tends to make defensive play harder to execute, especially for the brawlers who are going to be taking the brunt of the damage, and can’t afford to lose their ability to stat-check other mechs. Brawlers need safe pathways to push towards ranged mechs, and I don't think that exists on the changed maps at all.

I think the new maps give snipers to much safety. Giving snipers more angles to attack, and more vantage points is great, but snipers should have to rely on their team-mates to buffer enemy advances. It seems like all of the new maps give snipers high vantage points, with steep drop-offs that prevent anyone from approaching them, and I don’t understand this at all from a design perspective. It is unhealthy for them to be so independent with how things are going. Short range mechs should be able to trade their armor by charging towards a long-range mech, in exchange for closing the gap. It’s okay to have one or two positions like this, so long as their a tactical position your team can fight for, not just free real-estate for anyone that can abuse them. Add more snipermech counterplay please, just hiding behind some cover doesn’t solve the problem.

Also, I have had quite a few bad games on HPG since the changes were implemented, where one team sat in basement for literally 10 minutes, and the entire match gets decided by whose team has the first idiot to peek out and die. Old HPG also had this issue at times, but due to the increase in sniping on the new version, it promotes this strategy a lot more than before, and it’s incredibly unfun when it happens.

As for Caustic I don't love it. This boils down to the sole reason being that I really dislike maps with bad visibilty. If you are going to use low-visibilty as a design decision, it needs to be used more intentional I think. I hate having to put my glasses to play certain maps.

The area where I think Mwo could benefit the most from right now would be revamping the current game-modes. And fortunately for everyone, revamping game-modes should have the side-effect of fixing some map design limitations and issues, as well as mech balance. Conquest is good, but all of the other game-modes lack interesting mechanics, and fail to divert play-patterns and utilize map space effectively. Domination, for example, is a good concept, but tends to change nothing meaningful about gameplay, because you have a massive zone that only requires one mech to stay inside of it, or even zero mechs at times. Assault at least forces teams to watch their backs in case a lightmech goes for their capture point, but is too one dimensional to really be noticeable most of the time. I don’t think that game-modes should be super intrusive towards how pilots want to play, (I mainly just want them to move players to differing parts of each map) but they just aren’t using their potential right now.

(Oh, and player matchmaking is also in a rough spot, but I have no input on how to fix that. Pretty much every single match is a one-sided stomp, and carrying matches feels harder than it used to, if not impossible)

Lastly, please fix side-torso destruction asap. Losing a side torso should not result in a heatspike: the percentage should stay the same, while the heat capacity drops. It's like if you take a pizza out of the oven and cut it in half. The remaining half of the pizza doesn't spontaneously burn itself.

Sorry to sound so negative, you guys are honestly doing a great job, and I love playing MWO more than ever. The Viridian bog changes are great, and the last new map we got (Rubellite Oasis) is still my favorite map in the game by far, so I am super excited to see a fresh map coming! I have spent dozens of hours in mechlabs (if not hundreds) trying out new ideas for mechs that were previously un-usable, and It has been a blast. Keep up the good work, never stop, and I will continue to happily give you my money over and over again. Oh, and the new variant booster packs have been absolutely killing it, btw!

P.S. HOLY CRAP, I AM DEFINITELY USING THE STARWOLFE WARHORN! He is the best mwo streamer!

#38 JOATMON Incorporated

• PipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 90 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 03 November 2021 - 09:42 AM

New Mech Chassis

New Mech Chassis

New Mech Chassis

New Mech Chassis

Any Unseen will do! (But if you do Wasp & Stinger, you could sell as a combo since you could use whole same mech body model for both except 2 different heads!)

Overall the update looks good for the coming future of MWO! Keep up the good work!

Also please look into offering ways to get some of the now no longer available (S) grade mechs available again.
I am not asking for the Founder ones, just mechs that had (S) available at one point that can't get now.
Raven 3L is a good example of this especially as to get the most out of it, you are burning arty/airstrikes and UAVs each drop, and that really eats into any form of C-Bill gain you get without a C-Bill bonus.
Another good example would be things like the Thunderbolt 9SE and others which recently got nice tweaks to perks.
Using things like this for Bundles of Joy this year, sort of like you did last year, would rock.

#39 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 03 November 2021 - 04:09 PM

+1 Steam Mech Performance Pack !!
I hope to purchase these directly from www.mwomercs.com website in 2022!

http://mwomercs.com/...-the-gift-store

http://mwomercs.com/...e-through-steam

http://mwomercs.com/...rformance-packs

- - - - - - - - - - - -
http://web.archive.o....com/dlc/342200

View PostJOATMON Incorporated, on 03 November 2021 - 09:42 AM, said:

...Overall the update looks good for the coming future of MWO! Keep up the good work!

Also please look into offering ways to get some of the now no longer available (S) grade mechs available again.
I am not asking for the Founder ones, just mechs that had (S) available at one point that can't get now.
Raven 3L is a good example of this especially as to get the most out of it, you are burning arty/airstrikes and UAVs each drop, and that really eats into any form of C-Bill gain you get without a C-Bill bonus.
Another good example would be things like the Thunderbolt 9SE and others which recently got nice tweaks to perks.
Using things like this for Bundles of Joy this year, sort of like you did last year, would rock.

#40 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 04 November 2021 - 10:15 AM

If it's not written down, it didn't happen. Post a transcript PGI or don't even bother doing it.

Edited by Khalcruth, 04 November 2021 - 10:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users