#101 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 March 2023 - 02:53 AM

View PostMac the Ripper, on 06 March 2023 - 12:06 PM, said:

I too am trying to minimize pop-in as much as I can. Meep Meep's file from page 2 helped a lot with overall terrain geometry and textures, and it totally fixed the water pop-in issue I was trying to fix (thanks!). However, there are still two things bothering me, and I wonder if they can be fixed or if this is as good as it gets.

The first thing is faraway snow. It's less blurry than before I think, but it's still pretty low-res and blocky. In this screenshot, it looks ok on either side of my mech, but in the distance (starting around the left of that building and persisting on the mountain behind it), it's still noticeably worse than nearby.
Posted Image

Second, terrain pop-in isn't totally fixed, although it is seemingly better than before. In the following pair of screenshots, see how the texture and geometry of the ridge below the "South" indicator on the compass changes when I take a few steps forward. If there's no way to totally fix it, is there a way to at least lock this terrain geometry/texture to the slightly worse one of these two so that it doesn't jarringly change while I move?

Slightly further:
Posted Image

Slightly closer:
Posted Image

Edit: Scratch this. I did some actual games tonight and most of the pop-in went to crap again. Does a lot of this not work / get reset in actual multiplayer matches instead of training grounds?

Alpine has a server lock on its lodding so the bulk of the tweaks won't work on it. Other maps are not as restrictive or have no restrictions. Apparently loading the map locally to test mech builds doesn't have any restrictions.

Edited by Meep Meep, 07 March 2023 - 02:54 AM.

#102 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 08:44 AM

I'm using pretty much the same settings as Meep Meep and still get some pop in and some flicker on distant objects, but the thing that really wrecks my eyeballs is that there seems to be a limited draw distance on more detailed shadows. I can walk down the street in River City and see the line where the shadows in parking garages and building overhangs start to appear.

#103 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 June 2023 - 11:57 AM

As per MrVaad the serverside maps have a locked lod setting that the tweaks can't override and some maps(alpine especially) have a very low lod locked in so not matter what settings you use the terrain and textures are fairly terrible. Shame because if the lodding was unlocked the tweaks would greatly improve its looks since the local maps you use for testing mechlab fits is fully unlocked.

#104 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:05 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 15 June 2023 - 11:57 AM, said:

As per MrVaad the serverside maps have a locked lod setting that the tweaks can't override and some maps(alpine especially) have a very low lod locked in so not matter what settings you use the terrain and textures are fairly terrible. Shame because if the lodding was unlocked the tweaks would greatly improve its looks since the local maps you use for testing mechlab fits is fully unlocked.

Yeah, I can understand why that is, though. I used to play Planetside 2 back in the day and I remember being told by other players that reducing settings for ground clutter would give you a tactical advantage in that an enemy with high settings would hide behind an object that your settings would not fully display. So keeping everyone on similar settings does even the playing field somewhat, at expense of the game looking nice.

But in my case, I'm referring to settings I have only tested out in Testing Grounds. I haven't taken them in-game yet.

#105 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 June 2023 - 09:01 PM

I found out the hard way that the settings look different on the live maps though the newer the map the better its base lodding and the higher the unlock for user side tweaks. The newest maps benefit very little from the tweaks since they are already optimized for newer pc.

#106 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 18 June 2023 - 11:18 AM

Did you find a setting to prevent the 5-second freeze that occurs while loading maps, guys?

#107 Delete Dragon

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 11:18 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 06 May 2022 - 11:29 PM, said:

Particle quality is usually the culprit if its happening when you get a lot of explosions being rendered in front of your cockpit from lrm or spammed ac.

Set this line to 1 if its higher than 1: e_ParticlesQuality=1

Thanks, Meep Meep, I was looking for this for a long time. I tried your user.cfg and it really helped the quality of visuals and FPS, but the cockpit explosions seem much worse, I feel like I can't see at all when getting shot with ballistics due to the flashes. Not that it wasn't bad before, but it seems much worse now.

Testing it now at a value of 1, it was set at 4, Now I need someone to shoot me in the face so I can see if it is better...

Can it go lower? like 0.1?

Seems a common complaint for this game (doing google searches) that getting shot in the toe creates blinding screen flashes, (haven't tested in training so that might be hyperbole, or it might not be)

#108 MrVaad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 02 August 2023 - 01:45 PM

View PostDelete Dragon, on 30 July 2023 - 11:18 PM, said:

Thanks, Meep Meep, I was looking for this for a long time. I tried your user.cfg and it really helped the quality of visuals and FPS, but the cockpit explosions seem much worse, I feel like I can't see at all when getting shot with ballistics due to the flashes. Not that it wasn't bad before, but it seems much worse now.

Testing it now at a value of 1, it was set at 4, Now I need someone to shoot me in the face so I can see if it is better...

Can it go lower? like 0.1?

Seems a common complaint for this game (doing google searches) that getting shot in the toe creates blinding screen flashes, (haven't tested in training so that might be hyperbole, or it might not be)

Hi, i forgot to answer this but don't use a value other than 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 for e_ParticlesQuality.
It corresponds to LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH, VERY HIGH.

Edited by MrVaad, 02 August 2023 - 01:45 PM.

#109 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 02 August 2023 - 02:11 PM

View PostBLACKR0SE, on 18 June 2023 - 11:18 AM, said:

Did you find a setting to prevent the 5-second freeze that occurs while loading maps, guys?

What are your system specs and what type of storage are you using. The freezes that happen after you drop into the map are the shaders loading up and the faster the storage the quicker the freezes end. Though I don't think you can get rid of them entirely. The upside is that once you load a map to play its good to go for the rest of your play session.

#110 Star Lit Night

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 05:09 PM

View PostMrVaad, on 02 August 2023 - 01:45 PM, said:

Hi, i forgot to answer this but don't use a value other than 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 for e_ParticlesQuality.
It corresponds to LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH, VERY HIGH.

Thanks, that answers question I had.

#111 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 August 2023 - 04:18 AM

Does MrVaad or anyone know why the game won't run faster than 60 fps(out of the mechlab) with vsync on even if the monitor supports 120hz or higher? I found a trick where you alt-enter twice while in the mechlab and when you load into a match you get the full 120hz but this is a bit of a wonky workaround.

#112 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 09:15 AM

Are u using fullscreen?

#113 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 18 August 2023 - 10:05 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 12 August 2023 - 04:18 AM, said:

Does MrVaad or anyone know why the game won't run faster than 60 fps(out of the mechlab) with vsync on even if the monitor supports 120hz or higher? I found a trick where you alt-enter twice while in the mechlab and when you load into a match you get the full 120hz but this is a bit of a wonky workaround.

If your GPU can't keep up with your monitor, vsync will purposefully runs things at half of refresh rate so you don't end up with screen tear at odd fps to refresh rate ratios. Half of a 120hz refresh is 60 fps. It only sets fps to refresh rate if it's comfortably capable of performing well beyond it.

#114 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 August 2023 - 01:46 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 18 August 2023 - 09:15 AM, said:

Are u using fullscreen?

Yes.

View PostAthom83, on 18 August 2023 - 10:05 AM, said:

If your GPU can't keep up with your monitor, vsync will purposefully runs things at half of refresh rate so you don't end up with screen tear at odd fps to refresh rate ratios. Half of a 120hz refresh is 60 fps. It only sets fps to refresh rate if it's comfortably capable of performing well beyond it.

Vsync off I get 250ish fps so more than double 120. The game will run a steady 120 in a match as long as I do the alt-enter trick as soon as I first load into the mechlab from signing in then its fine the rest of the session. It's not a huge deal just curious as to why and it probably has something to do with the mechlab being locked at 60 and it not switching modes when you launch a match. Nothing uncommon with this old heavily modified engine.

#115 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 November 2023 - 03:33 AM

I got a problem with advanced zoom. It makes me sick and want to vomit.
Just turning camera around with it disorients me and sometimes i even shoot ally mechs walking in front of me by accident because their nametags are outside of digital zoom.

Is there a setting that removes picture in picture digital effects while keeping the zoom level?
Help plz.

Edit: why im even asking this here? because back in 2010s i had very weak PC and used this config to play at least in 20 fps. I remember turning off some setting and it also turned off picture in picture effect, leaving normal zoom(although much less magnification)

Edited by Vincefeld, 01 November 2023 - 02:51 PM.

#116 PRlMO

• PipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 11:35 AM

How on POSTA?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users