Do Tiers Really Matter?

167 replies to this topic

#21 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:44 AM

Getting Tier 3 is very easy, even if you just run at bad guys and shoot like crazy. Posted Image

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 07 December 2021 - 12:44 AM.

#22 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:16 AM

View Postmartian, on 07 December 2021 - 12:06 AM, said:

Are you trying to tell us that T2/T3/T4 or T5 are better? If yes, in "what", then?

Do you think that there is not enough tactics in the new T1?
Do you think that there is no fun in in the post-reset T1?

Simply renaming "Tier" to "Levels" would make no difference. Eventually good players will rank above average players.

Without Tiers, highly skilled players would kill freshly registered players and low skilled players left and right.

Many years ago - between 2015 and June 2020 - the old pre-reset PSR system was skewed heavily towards the upward PSR movement. Many low- and average-skilled players moved to T1 by the virtue of playing a lot of games and accruing PSR a bit after bit, even though skill was not so good. So in this sense they really should not had been in T1.

The old (2015-2020) PSR was just a better "experience bar" and not much more.
The new (2020-) PSR is closer to a true ranking system, since it reflects the player's skill better (although not perfectly).

The old PSR had to be changed, because it did not work. What purpose would it serve to "to put us all back there." ?

PSR movement is neither reward nor punishment.

By the way, new pilots start in T5 and thus face other pilots of a similar skill level. Who exactly is going to punish them and how? They mostly face other T5s and some T4s.

They earned their their way in the old PSR up to T1 because they played a lot of games, not because of their high piloting and gunnery skills. And struggled, as you admitted ...

The new post-reset PSR reflects their actual skills better.

In the old PSR it was mostly true. Tiers were more like experience bar, not a true rank that would show actual skill. Even PGI admitted it openly.

Well, yes? I would say that it kinda works this way.

What exactly should be wrong with it? The majority of MWO players are just average guys, not too good, not too bad. It makes sense that they are in T3 and that T3 is the largest portion of the player base.

And if you think "Like it is giving everyone the finger. and "You been ****" behind it." every time you see a player with Posted Imagebadge, well that's your problem.

You can not keep anybody in T5. If somebody is a good player, he is going to move up, no matter what you do. When he reaches his personal PSR plateau, his movements will stop (more or less) in the Tier that is the most suitable for him - even if it should be T1, if he is really good.

If he is not so good, he is going to stay in T5 or move to T4 or so. That's how the post-reset PSR was designed to work and how it usually works.

****************************************************************************************************************************

-T3, T2, can be way better pilots than T1 (and even T4). Many have regretted being in T1, and decided to go down. Their have been pilots who are in T1, made new accounts, start in T5 and have way more fun than T1 pilots. Their is good pilots even in T5 with another created account (more than 1).

- Their is way better tactics than T1 has. No one in T1 can do better tactics than other Tiers. I have done many, but in T1, you can not. More freedom in other Tiers.

- People stated the system was flawed, and it is worse now. A dirty system. Their is a formula showing how it is done. But in simpler math. It is one step forward, Two steps back. So if you are in a losing team and a down arrow. You go down two. On a winning side, up arrow, you go up. Meaning you go down faster than moving up.

- T1 are not the best. Many now are even in T1, and not the best. I have not seen any good tactical maneuvers (toying with the enemy). You can get ahead with pre-mades but not much when a lone wolf. More nascaring in T1. I have seen/read the complaints being in T1. Their is a lot missing in MWO, from MW4. But this is MWO, not MW4.

- Before learn from hardcores. Like when training in Martial arts. You will be against higher/black belts. Lesson learned. Even in DCS. You may know how to bomb and avoid sams, Radar, but dogfighting from a pro, can learn your mistakes. But actual pilots will always be way better. Because they flew the real things, and served. MW4 didn't even have stats, ranks.

- The cancel culture started before the reset. So, they got their wish. Their was a lot of whining. Do not hear, read much whining anymore. It still exists. Look at the graph (results) now. It does give the bird.

- Some players will break through, but not a easy task. I see the struggle they go through. And the feeling of them struggling is a burden, hoping they do not uninstall.

My younger day, employed in a restaurant. Told by the boss/owners. We want people to come back. You want people to have fun, and to tell others, to increase business. You want the best atmosphere. Clean, personality, fun, people making friends. The way PGI, and some of the salty players are chasing away others players, even the stats "Look at your stats...you suck" can be a embarrassment. Myself I like to have a fun, happy atmosphere and hoping others would as well.. The system was so called "bad" before, now it is worse. Tiers is wrong for MWO. You only play in a 15 min round. You get destroyed, that is it. Yet, the rounds last most of the time 4 mins. Lucky if you get a full 15 min round, and those do not come around often. The player base is dropping, and I have seen that scale the other day, amount of players. Looks like MWO is on it's last breaths (struggling). DCS lasted longer than MWO. But one aircraft can cost up to $100 or more, but it is worth it. They keep improving the sim (not a game) on everything (graphics, aircrafts, new things). No stats. Only rank you get is when on campaigns, training. What is wrong with MWO community, PGI? You want people to stay, and tell others, not chase away.

Edited by GuardDogg, 07 December 2021 - 01:23 AM.

#23 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:02 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 07 December 2021 - 01:16 AM, said:

-T3, T2, can be way better pilots than T1 (and even T4). Many have regretted being in T1, and decided to go down. Their have been pilots who are in T1, made new accounts, start in T5 and have way more fun than T1 pilots. Their is good pilots even in T5 with another created account (more than 1).

And you have what evidence to back that up exactly?

You know there is basically no difference from being in T1 and T2 since the reset as it will match all the same players? And that T2 is probably the roughest tier to be in?

- Their is way better tactics than T1 has. No one in T1 can do better tactics than other Tiers. I have done many, but in T1, you can not. More freedom in other Tiers.

If by "better" - do you mean poor map movements and poor positioning are much more easily forgiven and not punished?

- People stated the system was flawed, and it is worse now. A dirty system. Their is a formula showing how it is done. But in simpler math. It is one step forward, Two steps back. So if you are in a losing team and a down arrow. You go down two. On a winning side, up arrow, you go up. Meaning you go down faster than moving up.

Completely false.

You do not go down in a loss unless you underperform in relation to the whole team performance. Please ensure you understand the system before you comment on it.

Here is a video explaining how it works - I strongly suggest you educate yourself as you are looking very foolish once again.

- T1 are not the best. Many now are even in T1, and not the best.

- The cancel culture started before the reset. So, they got their wish. Their was a lot of whining. Do not hear, read much whining anymore. It still exists. Look at the graph (results) now. It does give the bird.

If they have the best KDRs, WLRs, Match Scores etc - how are they not, the best?

Funny how it has been fixed and there is less whining. You quite literally have confirmed it yourself.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 07 December 2021 - 02:02 AM.

#24 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 634 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:23 AM

Well, I'm fine in T5, and I'm enjoying the game, instead arguing who's having a bigger... skill.

Unless when MM got broken and let in T1 players in my plays, where there was one confirmed match where we were destroyed 3:12. No fun at all. Posted Image

So in my case - Tier doesn't matter, since you're going to be stomped by better skilled, or get their help to stomp others regardless.

GG o7 Posted Image

Edited by Ch_R0me, 07 December 2021 - 02:23 AM.

#25 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:09 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 06 December 2021 - 06:29 PM, said:

since then I've been experimenting with a lot of different mechs and loads and lost quite a bit and I'm slowly slipping back down towards tier 4, I have anxiety so it keeps bothering me, but do tiers actually matter at all?
Everyone experiences a bit of a shock when increasing in tiers. Once you've hit T3, you've started being matched against T1s, so it takes more effort to keep up with both teammates and opponents. If you can beat them, you will rise up further, if you can just keep up you will remain in T3 or and if you can't cut it you'll drop down to T4 and play with teammates and opponents of similar performance.

View PostGuardDogg, on 06 December 2021 - 09:14 PM, said:

Many years ago, before the Tier reset, their was a lot of arguments that most pilots should not be in T1 and they were there.
We had people in the 99.9% and people in the 38% crammed together into the same tier. It was not fun for either of those groups.

If Tiers is a ranking, then PGI owes us a lot, and to put us all back there.
The tier system exists to serve matchmaking, it's not a reward - ranks are earned, not owed.
Before the reset, the system was defective if not outright broken - it effectively punished underperforming players by dropping them in matches with massive skill gaps, which was a frustrating experience for everyone involved.

They will be totally punished each round, then uninstall.
They will be facing the least capable players in the game.
Do you really believe that putting clueless casuals against people from whom they have a GIGANTIC performance gap would be better? FFS, I've seen those casuals in Solaris and it was a ****ing embarassment.

Many of those pilots before the reset earned their way up to T1 and it was a struggle.
If going up in tiers is a struggle, it's a sign you've reached the limit of what you're capable of in the game. At that point, competitive players reevaluate their approach and look for ways to improve, while everyone else says "**** it" and goes back to having fun shooting giant mechs.

That Tiers is suppose to be the place of your kind of piloting. If stating T1 is so called pro's, then their is totally something wrong with the tier system. I seen that scale after a few months after reset what it is like That most are in T3.
That's known as the standard normal distribution and was entirely expected - the majority of the playerbase is right in the middle, while outliers either climb past T3 or cannot break into it.

Like it is giving everyone the finger. and "You been ****" behind it.
That's just your personal insecurities talking.

View PostGuardDogg, on 06 December 2021 - 09:37 PM, said:

Well, PGI made it very difficult system. Because new players are not going to move, because most of us higher, will keep them in T5.
Wrong. The current implementation of the tier system keeps them away from Tier 1 and Tier 2 opponents until they prove they can beat Tier 3-5 opponents and perform better than Tier 3-5 teammates.

View PostGuardDogg, on 06 December 2021 - 10:04 PM, said:

PGI may as well rename Tiers to levels or stage 5 to 1.
https://en.wiktionar...iki/tier#Noun_2

A layer or rank, especially of seats or a wedding cake.

View PostGuardDogg, on 06 December 2021 - 10:34 PM, said:

Just angry people who only think of themselves. "You should not be in Tier 1!!!" Help make that change, a better system. Not a angry, salty system.
The system has been changed, last year. Now you are being salty about it being changed.

I wouldn't want to be in T1 as well. It is a nasty place. Been there.
And yet, you said earlier that you think you're owed a place in T1. Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways.

-T3, T2, can be way better pilots than T1 (and even T4).
Not really. If they were genuinely better across the board, they would outperform their T3 (or 2, or 4) teammates and rise to T1. If they stay in lower tiers, then something - either lack of knowledge, inability to apply it correctly or lacking mechanical skills - prevents them from realizing their full potential. If they can overcome that limitation they will rise to T1. If they cannot, they will continue playing against opponents of roughly equal competence.

Many have regretted being in T1, and decided to go down.
Be aware that intentionally playing badly amounts to purposefully sabotaging your team - something PGI takes a very dim view on.

Their have been pilots who are in T1, made new accounts, start in T5 and have way more fun than T1 pilots. Their is good pilots even in T5 with another created account (more than 1).
If they are good pilots, they do not remain in T5 for long.

You're mistaking cause and effect here. You have more freedom in lower tiers because your opponents exercise less control over the battlefield, have lower tactical awareness and lower ability to respond to changing situation.

- T1 are not the best. Many now are even in T1, and not the best. I have not seen any good tactical maneuvers (toying with the enemy).
Wrong.
Toying with the enemy gives them time to establish an advantage over your team, and therefore is a losing tactical approach rather than a good one.
Going for the kill as soon as possible puts your entire team in a better tactical position.

- Before learn from hardcores. Like when training in Martial arts. You will be against higher/black belts.
... that's the competitve community, and given how much time you've spent at insulting and attacking them it's clear you do not intend to learn from them.

The player base is dropping, and I have seen that scale the other day, amount of players. Looks like MWO is on it's last breaths (struggling).
Actually, the stats disagree with your premise. MWO hit its' lowest player count in February 2020, but we're now at almost twice that number due to increases since the PSR reset.

Edited by Horseman, 07 December 2021 - 04:13 AM.

#26 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:21 AM

This might be a sign i'm simply at my limit, but since the tier change last year I'm constantly bouncing between tier 2 and 3. I tend to climb up to tier 2 and build up the tier 2 bar for a few weeks before quickly crashing back to Tier 3. The rise to Tier 2 is normally slow over say 10 games and then the crash back to Tier 3 is abrupt, under 5 or 6. Its a bit annoying to be on the cusp between the two eternally.

Edited by Sagara Sousuke 011011001, 07 December 2021 - 04:27 AM.

#27 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:35 AM

View PostSagara Sousuke 011011001, on 07 December 2021 - 04:21 AM, said:

Its a bit annoying to be on the cusp between the two eternally.

Why though? This would be rather the place where you, personally, get the fairest matchmaking possible. Tiers are just the visualization of your PSR ranking, a number between 0 (lowest T5) and 5000 (highest T1). The number counts for matchmaking, the tier only for gatekeeping at best.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 07 December 2021 - 04:35 AM.

#28 Richard Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:01 AM

I've decided to just turn off the tier bar and try to forget it so I can just enjoy the game :)

#29 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:08 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 07 December 2021 - 05:01 AM, said:

I've decided to just turn off the tier bar and try to forget it so I can just enjoy the game Posted Image

Perfectly acceptable decision. Posted Image

Play for fun without caring how often you are winning or losing. Eventually, your PSR will move you to the appropriate Tier for you. There you should experience balanced games.

#30 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:43 AM

My alt is in T3, because I sometimes play with friends who are in T3. I don't play enough games on it to get ranked often but the Assassin I use has a w/l of 3.67 and a kdr of 5. So you tell me if T3 players are "way better" than T1, considering my T1 stats are a w/l of 1. I also sometimes play in T5 with players who only just started, and my handicap there is to not even spend skill points. T1 players are better at the game in every way, and that is fine because not everyone is of equal skill. But to suggest that better games happen at lower tiers or that those pilots are somehow more tactically aware is just false.

Edited by RickySpanish, 07 December 2021 - 06:46 AM.

#31 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:48 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 07 December 2021 - 05:01 AM, said:

I've decided to just turn off the tier bar and try to forget it so I can just enjoy the game :)

It should be off by default, there is nothing gained from looking at it IMO. We are all fans of Mechwarrior and shooty stompy robot games. That is what matters.

#32 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:51 AM

View PostWill Hawker, on 06 December 2021 - 06:29 PM, said:

I got to tier 3 a week or so ago, I made some progress but since then I've been experimenting with a lot of different mechs and loads and lost quite a bit and I'm slowly slipping back down towards tier 4, I have anxiety so it keeps bothering me, but do tiers actually matter at all?

OP sadly tier system does mater (everything maters)
if it did not mater they would not have a tier system or allow posting of your tier

how we got to the current tier system is another painful story
but part of my story is I spent years in the old tier 1 and the good and top players kept complaining they had all these players that did not belong in tier one.
I mistakenly thought that of course players are allowed to move up that gives the match maker more players to pull from

any ways the people that cried and cried got PGI to change the system and since then I have not gotten anywhere near T1

that tells me these top players where right and PGI was literally using me for cannon fodder
on top of that these top players (not all top players of course) are now using there high tier status as leverage against PGI and the rest of the player base and they are on the move to change the game into want they want

example is as soon as they got control of the game they went right after streak missiles

can you imagine the amount of content this game would have had if they did not spend all there time
redesigning what they already designed

next up they will make another attempt at rescale (we will be going full circle lol) and the skill tree will change again

so if you roll played the game like i did and skilled up all your Mechs all that hard work will be wasted (your just s-o-l)
hey just like the last skill tree change when MWO lost a lot of players

bottom line everything these people touch turns to **** then they blame PGI

also it would be fine if you could satisfy them but they are never satisfied
after the get there way they whip out there cry baby calendar and move onto the next subject
could you even imagine a Mech simulator game where an AC10 was and AC10
instead of my AC10 is better then your AC10 or you get 3 RAC2s but I get 4 ha (WTF)

but we are making the game better is there saying
give them enough time they will drive EG7 out of business

"
Tiers are suppose to fit for the player. Not a rank. T1 are not the best. They just happen to get to T1, because the way they pilot. They are out for numbers. While other tiers like 2-3-4 are for tactical, mind games or just for fun. Just like going out with your kind of people. If players state T1 are to be the best or so called pro players, then it is like a ranking system. Then for sure PGI will need to change think from tiers to ranking.

** Note **
DCS doesn't have a stats. So beginner pilots are actually flying along actual pilots. Everyone is treated the same in DSC. I have encountered real F-16, F-18, that flew in Iraq, Afghanistan, and they will teach you a lesson or two. Oh yeah.

I was hoping MWO will do the same. But that is unlikely. Their is no real battlemechs. But the thought of no stats, Tiers, taught to be the best, would be awesome."

Gaurdog I agree it should be a tool to help players and the game
but it has been morphed into I am the king of MWO and only my opinion counts
LRMs are crap because I say so

I remember when FP first started a mech jumped on top of the gun and started blasting away
I thought what a great idea we will have to plan for that

but the cry babies cried to PGI and PGI went and installed covers over the gun generator
its hilarious when you think about it

Light mechs, I jump into a light mech and I go hunting for other light mechs
nope that is wrong, what you do is run around shooting other mechs in the back
and then tell everyone how great you are
of course if you cant do that you cry and cray until you get a super quirked light mech
then you tell everyone how great you are
its flipping hilarious!

oh please don't mention DCS I spent $300 on that game we don't people to go over and ruin it

Edited by Davegt27, 07 December 2021 - 06:54 AM.

#33 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:55 AM

The highest-scoring players are going to wind up in Tier 1. It's effectively a measure of how well you do on match score.

I think the problem is that people think of tier level as a judgment on how you play. It's not. It's more like a difficulty system. The higher your tier, the more difficult your games are going to be. So there is no reason to worry about gaining tiers unless you think the games are too easy where you are (and if you're right, your tier will go up pretty quickly).

#34 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:04 AM

Yup, and anyone who judges the value of your opinion based on tier can sod off too. Yes, technically correct information IS important, and people should be called out on giving advice which is mechanically incorrect, but discussion about gameplay and tactics etc is best done with a more open mind. A tier 1 player may well give sound tactical advice, but that advice might be difficult to use by someone in tier 5, conversely advice given by a T5 player may well be useful in T5 but not so in T3. A great example - few players in T1 take AMS as LRMs are not very popular there, so unless you are boating it most T1 players would probably argue it is a bit of a waste. However in T5 I would recommend AMS because of the popularity of LRM play.

Edited by RickySpanish, 07 December 2021 - 07:08 AM.

#35 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:06 AM

"more tactics in T3/4/5" just means you can do any old dumb BS and it might work because your opponents don't pay attention or don't fire back or don't twist

this happens in T1 too of course but less often

#36 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:45 AM

yes it matters a lot there was a reset a year ago i was set back into T5 and the amount of kills almost tripled.
why people are so bad? i don't know they likely play with a steering wheel or something
Jokes aside why they so bad i really don't know all i know people in T5 are really lot more easy to kill

#37 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:03 AM

Yeah some people do not like to be in tier 1 cause getting shot back or even before than you do is not fun to them, those same people enjoy seal clubbing.
and unless tier1 player uses something like spider with 1 small laser they will get out of tier5 very quickly.

I mean you haven't been in T1 since reset so ho do you know? If your silly tactics work in T5 it doesn't mean they are better just that your opponents are T5 players who do not know how to counter them.

LOL dirty system...
point of the matchmaker is to keep different skilled people in different tiers so it can balance matches better, again it's not a punishment nor reward to be low or high tier.

- T1 are not the best. Many now are even in T1, and not the best. I have not seen any good tactical maneuvers (toying with the enemy).
I have seen/read the complaints being in T1.

Toying with enemy doesn't mean you are the best, more like confident that your opponent is just way worse than you are.
There isn't pretty much anything I haven't seen being complained at in these forums. And again some people don't like challenge or that they are getting shot at, they just want eez stomping.

Their is a lot missing in MWO, from MW4. But this is MWO, not MW4.
- Before learn from hardcores. Like when training in Martial arts. You will be against higher/black belts. Lesson learned. Even in DCS. You may know how to bomb and avoid sams, Radar, but dogfighting from a pro, can learn your mistakes. But actual pilots will always be way better. Because they flew the real things, and served. MW4 didn't even have stats, ranks.

You can learn from better players also in this game? You can learn from your mistakes like in everything else? What's the point? if MW4 didn't have stats or ranks then it didn't have matchmaker so it sucked?

Seriously??? Would you like to give some examples of cancel culture in here?
If someone is spreading misinformation/lying about something that can be easily checked and proven and that person get told that hes full of ****, is that cancel culture in your opinion?

- Some players will break through, but not a easy task. I see the struggle they go through. And the feeling of them struggling is a burden, hoping they do not uninstall.

Break through what? to tier1?

My younger day, employed in a restaurant. Told by the boss/owners. We want people to come back. You want people to have fun, and to tell others, to increase business. You want the best atmosphere. Clean, personality, fun, people making friends. The way PGI, and some of the salty players are chasing away others players, even the stats "Look at your stats...you suck" can be a embarrassment. Myself I like to have a fun, happy atmosphere and hoping others would as well.. The system was so called "bad" before, now it is worse. Tiers is wrong for MWO. You only play in a 15 min round. You get destroyed, that is it. Yet, the rounds last most of the time 4 mins. Lucky if you get a full 15 min round, and those do not come around often. The player base is dropping, and I have seen that scale the other day, amount of players. Looks like MWO is on it's last breaths (struggling). DCS lasted longer than MWO. But one aircraft can cost up to $100 or more, but it is worth it. They keep improving the sim (not a game) on everything (graphics, aircrafts, new things). No stats. Only rank you get is when on campaigns, training. What is wrong with MWO community, PGI? You want people to stay, and tell others, not chase away.

So games like CSGO and all other PVP games with stats are bad games?
I think (what I think, do not know for a fact.) that most PVP games have stats.

#38 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:25 AM

this rarely happens but sometimes if a T1 person groups with T4/5 people it drags the T1 person down into T3/4 matches instead of dragging the T4/5s up. I played with two T4/5 friends a while ago and we had a few matches where I recognized zero names because they were all T4/5 players. They were some of the easiest matches I've played in my life. I was just pressing W in a brawler Atlas and laying about and they would straight-up turn their backs and run away without firing back. Saying those players are somehow better than T1/2s is laughable. They're barely playing the same game.

#39 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 945 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:56 AM

It is a ranking system. It's just a very basic one. Tier 5 = not good players. Tier 1 = better than most.

And there are people who hack this just for fun. I am in T5 (had hit T4 a few times) because I like to be there. I often play dumb matches to ruin PSR. I see high tier players in FP. And while play with\against them is fun I know I am not ready to climb up to their level (could reach T3, T2 at best but why should I?) so I now have my fun down there in T5.

PSR not really matters. Many lives for it while many abuses it for their own fun (like me). I not say it may not matter sometimes. But matchmaker also often sh!t in the middle of PSR. I met T2-1 players in QP dozen times. Yes, they stomp, but such matchmaker-fails are rare, rarer to make PSR really meaningfull because the sheer number of high tier players.

@OP. It is up to you to decide what do YOU want from PSR. If you like the low tier fun where many fancy things happen, do not care PSR. If you want strict and hard battle, rise and know there is always a way back. MWO is a game and you decide what makes you happy and content in it. PSR and if it matters or not just ways, options you decide to follow or decline. That is it.

Have fun and pray for more 2c mechs!

#40 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:59 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 07 December 2021 - 06:51 AM, said:

OP sadly tier system does mater (everything maters)
if it did not mater they would not have a tier system or allow posting of your tier

how we got to the current tier system is another painful story
but part of my story is I spent years in the old tier 1 and the good and top players kept complaining they had all these players that did not belong in tier one.
I mistakenly thought that of course players are allowed to move up that gives the match maker more players to pull from
any ways the people that cried and cried got PGI to change the system and since then I have not gotten anywhere near T1

that tells me these top players where right
and PGI was literally using me for cannon fodder

I'm pretty sure that wasn't PGIs intention, they just lacked understanding how to make working matchmaker, I mean what would be PGIs gain by making bad matchmaking intentionally?

on top of that these top players (not all top players of course) are now using there high tier status as leverage against PGI and the rest of the player base and they are on the move to change the game into want they want

Do you mean they blackmail PGI or how do they use that almighty T1 to leverage against PGI?

example is as soon as they got control of the game they went right after streak missiles

In your opinion is it good and fun weapon mechanism that you point your crosshair into vague direction of a light mech for a second or two and push a button and it just dies?

can you imagine the amount of content this game would have had if they did not spend all there time
redesigning what they already designed

Well there was a lots of bad designs, still is.

next up they will make another attempt at rescale (we will be going full circle lol) and the skill tree will change again
so if you roll played the game like i did and skilled up all your Mechs all that hard work will be wasted (your just s-o-l)

What you mean wasted? You did get 100% refund on skillstuff and modules. Here, check the link for your own refund ledger.

hey just like the last skill tree change when MWO lost a lot of players

Based on? MWO has more players now AFTER Cauldron started doing changes than before.

bottom line everything these people touch turns to **** then they blame PGI

These people? Cauldron? What else they have turned to **** except your beloved streaks? Are new quirks making this game worse?

Gaurdog I agree it should be a tool to help players and the game
but it has been morphed into I am the king of MWO and only my opinion counts

Well tier is something that helps game to make better matches, for some reason not being tier1 anymore gets under some peoples skin very very badly.
I personally and I think most other people also thinks that all opinions count, but for some reason people have hard time understanding what is difference between an opinion and a fact... And they share their opinions as facts.

LRMs are crap because I say so

LRMs are crap because they are stupidly hard weapon to balance well.. narc? no narc? loads of ECM or no ECM. They can be stupidly OP or totally useless.

I remember when FP first started a mech jumped on top of the gun and started blasting away
I thought what a great idea we will have to plan for that
but the cry babies cried to PGI and PGI went and installed covers over the gun generator
its hilarious when you think about it

Some people and PGI wanted longer matches, not 5 min rushes, I'm unable to see how is that bad thing really, can you explain? (personally I do not care if game gens have those covers or not)
People also cried that long tom is stupid and it got removed, was that bad call from PGI also?

Light mechs, I jump into a light mech and I go hunting for other light mechs
nope that is wrong, what you do is run around shooting other mechs in the back
and then tell everyone how great you are

Says who?

of course if you cant do that you cry and cray until you get a super quirked light mech
then you tell everyone how great you are
its flipping hilarious!

Which light mech is super quirked? (and OP?)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users