#81 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 17 December 2021 - 08:50 AM

View Postcazeral, on 17 December 2021 - 08:41 AM, said:

My friend once commented on it being nice to have something new; his Mrs found out and now he lives alone and without a huge chunk of his monthly salary, new does not always mean better! This map adds to the continuing run of mistresses that do little than bolster the ego of PGI, but cost (in population/popularity) heavily on the retention of players and engagement of long existing people when they are simply thrown out without proper testing or market research.

Seriously? You're comparing a new map to a philanderer?

View Postcazeral, on 17 December 2021 - 08:45 AM, said:

I would suggest the new Polar map has become one of the "least" unfavourable map updates, rather than it become a defined preference.

Still lots of things to fix on it including floating rocks, snow caps to buildings, trap points and other misplaced assets. Maybe if the quality of the maps were better, there would be a greater acceptance of them. PTS is being ignored and that will always be a failing in any product roll out, as is ignoring feedback.

They have 1 map guy. They have basically no development resources for this game.

It's a miracle we get anything at all. Clutching your pearls about market research just tells me you aren't really aware of what's been going on for the last two years.

#82 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 December 2021 - 01:33 AM

One map guy or not polar highlands bombed and it never picked as much as it used to be. However he scored a goal with this map so thats fine by me. All polar needs is some of the clutter removed from the middle and turn it back into something a bit closer to what it used to be. Or just put the old map back into the rotation.

#83 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 02:16 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 18 December 2021 - 01:33 AM, said:

Or just put the old map back into the rotation.

This is exactly what I suggested. Let the players vote for the map they would like to play on.

#84 chaosshade2638

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 85 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 18 December 2021 - 02:57 AM

I hope they address this soon, the giant trees on Hellebore outpost are transparent to weapons but not to mechs. I went behind one to seek cover from missiles and was cut down by them.

Edited by chaosshade2638, 18 December 2021 - 02:57 AM.

#85 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 06:38 AM

View Postchaosshade2638, on 18 December 2021 - 02:57 AM, said:

I hope they address this soon, the giant trees on Hellebore outpost are transparent to weapons but not to mechs. I went behind one to seek cover from missiles and was cut down by them.

yes and no;
if the trees behave like those of hellebore springs, where they're copied from, then it works partially.

certain areas of those trees (foliage?) don't stop lasers/bullets/missiles, but the trunk I'm quite sure does.
you can/could hug those trees in faction and they work as poor men's cover and altogether better than nothing.
problem in faction was a completely different one: ones you need that tree, things are going south anyway^^

anyhow: you should still park your a*s behind one if your getting obliterated, but yeah: don't count on that thing, either.
best tree is the one in an Atlas' right hand, crashing down onto some cockpit. but hey: TT-only ;)

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 18 December 2021 - 06:41 AM.

#86 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:12 AM

Ok.. so i should start by saying.. the map should not be round filed like i first said. It was more of a vent post after a horrible match but that doesn't mean i don't think the map has issues and i do think the map has major potential.

first off, I do want to thank the new map guy (whats his name btw) for taking on the task of updating and building new maps. I've really liked his work so far. Polar i think is fantastic, Bog was a nice tweak and HPG i find way more fun than before. canyon is better too, the only one i'm kinda unsure of is Caustic and honestly it's more that i never get to play it.

the new map though just feels unfocused. I can understand that, it was his first chance to make a new map and he went all out, but i just feel like it was just to much of everything. Anyone that reads my posts knows i am a glass half full kinda guy and i really just try to enjoy my favorite past time and i'm almost always the guy saying great things so I'm sorry for being that guy that says.. Map sucks, (which it doesn't, but that doesn't mean it can't be better) We all have those days. So let me state some idea's or things i think would make it better as he clearly has the ability to change things for the better.

I love the idea of 3 levels, but with this map it seams like they are just to far. Torso based mechs have a very hard time with the scale. Even with taking the quirks from the skill tree so many places you can't return fire. A mountainous map is something i always wanted, but the shear walls of the canyon i think it just to much. Squishing the map say 20% i think would make a world of difference.

Purple is my favorite color, but man there is a lot of purple. I'd tone it down a bit. maybe by 50%, Brown rocks and tan soil, toss in some Dark obsidian too.

the ramps, with the amount of hight changes these ramps need to be wider. even mediums often can't pass a mech. double the width of the ramps

The Drop offs. While i get you should be aware and such, but what about some ridges that slow you a bit before you go over the edge. Think of it as those Bumps on the highway that tell you your drifting. If you fall in lots of spots you are dead, Adding a slow before you drop would make a world of difference.

Hitboxes on a bunch of walls are off. i should take screenies, but i know one of the places i was having major issues was sorta in the middle left side. It's the lower area that has that tunnel. the canyon leading towards that tunnel coming from the north side of the map has issues. Even my left arm(when i'm on the right side wall so it should be clear was hitting invisible walls)

again, sorry for the not so nice post, but i hope i made up for it with some constructive criticism.

#87 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:17 AM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 09:32 AM, said:

Not everybody has the time or opportunity to complete those free 'Mechs events.

The best place for your request for dropecks in QP is here: Feature Suggestions
If you want to discuss your QP dropdecks idea, start a new dedicated thread in that section.

"This" thead discusses the new Hellebore Outpost map.

Honestly man, if you can't find 10 hours a month to play do you actually need another mech anyway? you can do these free mech events in about 50 matches which really is very casual playing. Ok, maybe not super casual, but a 1 night a week really isn't that much.

BtW, i'm all for quick easy events too, but for a free mech you should have to play a little.

PS you get a free mech on the 28th. :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 18 December 2021 - 09:18 AM.

#88 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:01 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 18 December 2021 - 09:17 AM, said:

Honestly man, if you can't find 10 hours a month to play do you actually need another mech anyway? you can do these free mech events in about 50 matches which really is very casual playing. Ok, maybe not super casual, but a 1 night a week really isn't that much.

BtW, i'm all for quick easy events too, but for a free mech you should have to play a little.

PS you get a free mech on the 28th. Posted Image

What?

#89 -Parrot Gaming-

Rookie

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:25 AM

View PostIhlrath, on 14 December 2021 - 07:46 PM, said:

My only complaint is that it's another map that's really hard to see the domination circle on.... is the dude color blind or something? Other than that it's not bad at all.

I agree the domination circle color is an issue but overall the map is fun. I like the vertical aspect of the map with all the different options for cover. A few floating plants that could be adjusted but I have to say Francois did a nice job building a map with the "Legos" building blocks at his disposal. Nice work Devs....thanks for the new map.

#90 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:12 PM

Thought I'd hate it, but racked up a 4 kill match with my favorite Archer.Posted Image

#91 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 327 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:26 PM

It is literally a hot mess. Without jump jets you spend half the game trying to find the fight. There are tons of small terrain features which stop your mech in place. The colors are a disaster and it is impossible to make out the yellow circle for domination.

#92 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:29 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 18 December 2021 - 12:12 PM, said:

Thought I'd hate it, but racked up a 4 kill match with my favorite Archer.Posted Image

With SRMs or MRMs, I presume ... Posted Image

#93 cazeral

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 04:54 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 17 December 2021 - 08:50 AM, said:

Seriously? You're comparing a new map to a philanderer?

They have 1 map guy. They have basically no development resources for this game.

It's a miracle we get anything at all. Clutching your pearls about market research just tells me you aren't really aware of what's been going on for the last two years.

Actually, I've been around since Beta, lost sign in details for original account and PGI were so unhelpful at recovering them, I ended up with this account, so very much aware of what's been going on since inception.

In addition, where did I mention market research, it was a clear reference to PTS, i.e. lets test the wretched thing, fault find and fix instead of putting out a flawed product; that's simple common sense but obviously something you aren't aware of in producing a customer driven product . . . shame on you :)

#94 MrMadguy

• 2,193 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:08 AM

I'm not sure. May be players still haven't found good spot on this map, but all I can say about it for now is - STOP VOTING FOR THIS MAP, IT'S TERRIBLE. Due to exactly the same reason, why new HPG is bad. Yeah, it has lots of cover, but at the same it has lots of directions, you can't be attacked from at the same time. And unfortunately offense >> defense in this game. There is no way to deal with situation, where you're attacked from multiple directions.

Edited by MrMadguy, 19 December 2021 - 10:10 AM.

#95 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:23 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 19 December 2021 - 10:08 AM, said:

I'm not sure. May be players still haven't found good spot on this map, but all I can say about it for now is - STOP VOTING FOR THIS MAP, IT'S TERRIBLE. Due to exactly the same reason, why new HPG is bad. Yeah, it has lots of cover, but at the same it has lots of directions, you can't be attacked from at the same time. And unfortunately offense >> defense in this game. There is no way to deal with situation, where you're attacked from multiple directions.

So no headless charge to the centre of the map, then? Words "Situational awareness" mean something again?

#96 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:33 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 18 December 2021 - 01:33 AM, said:

One map guy or not polar highlands bombed and it never picked as much as it used to be. However he scored a goal with this map so thats fine by me. All polar needs is some of the clutter removed from the middle and turn it back into something a bit closer to what it used to be. Or just put the old map back into the rotation.

Polar is picked regularly for me. Old Polar was only picked when lurmboat dads wanted an easy W (which they rarely got)

[redacted]

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 21 December 2021 - 11:49 PM.
quote clean-up

#97 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:41 AM

Big wins:
Canyon
Polar
HPG
Bog

Needs improvement:
Caustic (sounds like its getting it)

Still gathering data on the new one but so far I find it interesting. Waiting until I get the hang of the map to make a final opinion.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 19 December 2021 - 10:42 AM.

#98 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:51 AM

I played only two matches on this map so far, people seems to avoid it like Terra therma...
Both times I got a lurmboat and lurmed like a god. This map is another lurmer paradise because it is essentially Canyon or Frozen rift retextured with Hellebore textures - before scorn me down I tell you I won "creeping death" on Solaris city with a lurm-exclusive build so I could literally lurm everywhere, anyone could who learn proper lurming (what is not stay back and swoosh from 900+ valiantly). All these maps are for lurmers. Of course I want to try other builds on it to see comparatively but such lurmer maps also often ends as NASCAR or run-to-middle-style king-of-the-hill. Both are a matter of taste...
It also have some serious texture bugs like Canyon (same big, plain grey hovering blankets over the ground).

#99 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:33 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 19 December 2021 - 10:51 AM, said:

I played only two matches on this map so far, people seems to avoid it like Terra therma...
Both times I got a lurmboat and lurmed like a god. This map is another lurmer paradise because it is essentially Canyon or Frozen rift retextured with Hellebore textures - before scorn me down I tell you I won "creeping death" on Solaris city with a lurm-exclusive build so I could literally lurm everywhere, anyone could who learn proper lurming (what is not stay back and swoosh from 900+ valiantly). All these maps are for lurmers. Of course I want to try other builds on it to see comparatively but such lurmer maps also often ends as NASCAR or run-to-middle-style king-of-the-hill. Both are a matter of taste...
It also have some serious texture bugs like Canyon (same big, plain grey hovering blankets over the ground).

I have played a few times on this map, but the amount of LRMs was quite low in all games. Maybe it is a matter of being in different Tiers.

#100 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:43 AM

View Postmartian, on 19 December 2021 - 11:33 AM, said:

I have played a few times on this map, but the amount of LRMs was quite low in all games. Maybe it is a matter of being in different Tiers.

Agreed, saw very few lurms personally.

I think when people figure out what the routes are to get out of the low ground, it will become more popular. I'm leaning towards liking it so far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users