Hellebore Outpost First Impressions

165 replies to this topic

#61 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:07 AM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 09:49 AM, said:

I think that some players are unsure where to go on this new map. Posted Image

I guess that the situation will improve in the next few days.

no, lol. People taking like 5 seconds to start moving when they hit the ground from the dropship is a super common feature in every match on every map.

#62 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:15 AM

View PostKanil, on 16 December 2021 - 11:07 AM, said:

no, lol. People taking like 5 seconds to start moving when they hit the ground from the dropship is a super common feature in every match on every map.

I think that they are a little timid, since taking a wrong turn on this map (and its maze of ledges, ramps and criffs) means that you can not rejoin your team so easily. Posted Image

#63 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:09 PM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

I think that they are a little timid, since taking a wrong turn on this map (and its maze of ledges, ramps and criffs) means that you can not rejoin your team so easily. Posted Image

It has its moments though. I just played a game where the last Atlas was on the bottom of a winding canyon and I was stuck way on top, just taking in the view. My Jagermech couldn't angle down enough and he couldn't hit me either.

Another beaten-up mech distracted him long enough for me to walk off the cliff without jumpjets, drop right behind him and drill two AC20's into his back.

That was fun.

#64 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:10 PM

View PostMark Yore, on 16 December 2021 - 12:09 PM, said:

It has its moments though. I just played a game where the last Atlas was on the bottom of a winding canyon and I was stuck way on top, just taking in the view. My Jagermech couldn't angle down enough and he couldn't hit me either.

Another beaten-up mech distracted him long enough for me to walk off the cliff without jumpjets, drop right behind him and drill two AC20's into his back.

That was fun.

Yeah, deploying in the BoomJager is often fun. Posted Image

#65 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:11 PM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

People being slow to get moving is not a new map phenomenon. It happens pretty much every match, whether the map is new, old, simple, or complex. It always takes someone on your team a few seconds to realize the match has started and to find their W key and get moving out of the drop zone.

Usually you just turn left or right a little and walk past them, but on Hellebore there's a 1/24 chance you'll spawn where it isn't easy to walk around them while they figure out it's time to play.

#66 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:14 PM

View PostKanil, on 16 December 2021 - 12:11 PM, said:

People being slow to get moving is not a new map phenomenon. It happens pretty much every match, whether the map is new, old, simple, or complex. It always takes someone on your team a few seconds to realize the match has started and to find their W key and get moving out of the drop zone.

Usually you just turn left or right a little and walk past them, but on Hellebore there's a 1/24 chance you'll spawn where it isn't easy to walk around them while they figure out it's time to play.

Okay, okay. Posted Image

Go to this section and give PGI your feedback regarding the Hellebore Outpost map.

#67 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:59 PM

Another repeat BS map. Center feature. All run to center where it's an anti-LRM cage (Blatant at that). Looks pretty. Happy for more places to play. But Blatant.

#68 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:37 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 16 December 2021 - 03:59 PM, said:

Another repeat BS map. Center feature. All run to center where it's an anti-LRM cage (Blatant at that). Looks pretty. Happy for more places to play. But Blatant.

maybe you should try something different than LRM .. you know we do have other weapons in the game too, right?
look them up, they're fun ;)

#69 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:44 PM

just tried the game today and had the map 3 times.
what can I say?

I have to try the map in training-grounds for some time to really have an informed opinion, but from just running around in QP,
it's fun so far.
-the map seems to reward having JJs to move, which is good, as they often aren't ~that~ useful (at least for pure movement). good job.
-a lot of vertical fighting, so actuators are also useful, as is locking/unlocking arms. another good decision.
- a LOT of folks just sit around the DZ or ~somewhere~, picking their noses, but I can't blame it on the map. hope this is new-map-syndrome, but I've seen it on older maps today, too. so many passive players, scared of being shot, so THEY don't shoot in the first place.
I wonder if.. nah. let's not get there. ;)

TL/DR: so far I like the map :)

#70 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:59 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 16 December 2021 - 04:37 PM, said:

maybe you should try something different than LRM .. you know we do have other weapons in the game too, right?
look them up, they're fun Posted Image

That's fine and all I do use OTHER weapons. But why AGAIN is something CLEARLY biased against it? Nevermind ANOTHER map with a distinct run to the center feature feature.

Edited by HammerMaster, 16 December 2021 - 05:00 PM.

#71 MadBede

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:12 PM

I hate this map.
First colors ..jesus my eyes bleed
Second its a bloody maze
All jumpy ******** will get fun, slow biggies punished as always
Cant even spot on map circle for Domination mode
I dont like this map

#72 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:04 PM

View PostMadBede, on 16 December 2021 - 07:12 PM, said:

I hate this map.
Second its a bloody maze
I dont like this map

Posted Image

#73 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:44 PM

I hate this map.
I dont like this map

That is okay, I do not think that there are too many players who like every single map.

Those colours are nothing new - the Hellebore Springs map has been in the game since 2015.

Second its a bloody maze

If you can find your way on the reworked Polar Highlands map, you will soon find your way on the Hellebore Outpost map.

People have complained about the same problem on the reworked Caustic Valley map.

I see nothing wrong when jump-capable 'Mechs - and I am specifically talking about 'Mechs with lots of Jump Jets - get some reward for their tonnage investment. Many players take 'Mechs with one Jump Jets and think that it is enough. Well, there is a map where this is not so true.

And to be even more exact, I would like to mention Clan OmniMechs with hard-wired full set of Jump Jets such as Dragonfly, Thor, Gladiator, Night Gyr, Black Hawk, Shadow Cat, Hankyu or Nobori-nin.

Finally there is a map that rewards them for carrying this equipment.

#74 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 December 2021 - 01:33 AM

So far this map is devolving around a series of brawls and peek a boom fests between running for the next cover. It also penalizes you harshly for falling down in certain areas especially if you have no jj. I like it. Missile spam is almost non existent and the plentiful terrain changes between deep valleys keeps the nascar to a minimum. You are either pushing a line or retreating along one. It's certainly favoring jj mech and not just snipers. Anything that can mount a single jj gets a nice advantage to the ones that have to slog up a winding ramp. Mechs with lots of jj will feel like they are on a parkour course with all the little cubbyholes and hidden platforms scattered about. I like it.

#75 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 December 2021 - 05:58 AM

Here's the reality...

It's a new/different map that like all maps, draws both hatred and fans alike. Yes, it's gonna take time to figure out the nuances of the map and how to maximize them (I mean more than the obvious JJ accessible areas).

End of the day, IMHO it's nice to have something new...

#76 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 06:15 AM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 10:44 PM, said:

I see nothing wrong when jump-capable 'Mechs - and I am specifically talking about 'Mechs with lots of Jump Jets - get some reward for their tonnage investment. Many players take 'Mechs with one Jump Jets and think that it is enough. Well, there is a map where this is not so true.

And to be even more exact, I would like to mention Clan OmniMechs with hard-wired full set of Jump Jets such as Dragonfly, Thor, Gladiator, Night Gyr, Black Hawk, Shadow Cat, Hankyu or Nobori-nin.

Finally there is a map that rewards them for carrying this equipment.

well, except for your freebirth jibberish you're using to confuse people, I'll wholeheartly agree ;)

#77 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,407 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 17 December 2021 - 06:16 AM

+1
Exactly... I also appreciate new MWO content !!

Remember the Polar Highland (Reborn) back June'2021?
No one wanted to play it at one point; MWO had to add an Event in to prod players to play/explore it...

And in the end, Polar Highland (Reborn) is now a regular staple, with very little complaint!

View PostDaZur, on 17 December 2021 - 05:58 AM, said:

Here's the reality...

It's a new/different map that like all maps, draws both hatred and fans alike. Yes, it's gonna take time to figure out the nuances of the map and how to maximize them (I mean more than the obvious JJ accessible areas).

#78 cazeral

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 08:41 AM

View PostDaZur, on 17 December 2021 - 05:58 AM, said:

Here's the reality...

My friend once commented on it being nice to have something new; his Mrs found out and now he lives alone and without a huge chunk of his monthly salary, new does not always mean better! This map adds to the continuing run of mistresses that do little than bolster the ego of PGI, but cost (in population/popularity) heavily on the retention of players and engagement of long existing people when they are simply thrown out without proper testing or market research.

#79 cazeral

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 08:45 AM

View Postw0qj, on 17 December 2021 - 06:16 AM, said:

+1
Exactly... I also appreciate new MWO content !!

Remember the Polar Highland (Reborn) back June'2021?
No one wanted to play it at one point; MWO had to add an Event in to prod players to play/explore it...

And in the end, Polar Highland (Reborn) is now a regular staple, with very little complaint!

I would suggest the new Polar map has become one of the "least" unfavourable map updates, rather than it become a defined preference.

Still lots of things to fix on it including floating rocks, snow caps to buildings, trap points and other misplaced assets. Maybe if the quality of the maps were better, there would be a greater acceptance of them. PTS is being ignored and that will always be a failing in any product roll out, as is ignoring feedback.

#80 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 08:48 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 17 December 2021 - 06:15 AM, said:

well, except for your freebirth jibberish you're using to confuse people, I'll wholeheartly agree Posted Image

Aff! I did it on purpose.

I used those peculiar designations, as to make it easier for those Inner Sphere barbarians to understand. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users