Need To Do Something About Assaults

112 replies to this topic

#41 Andrewlik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 06:18 AM

In all honesty I think everyone here should just stop complaining.
Yes, light mechs are fast and annoying. But it's your fault if your lack of situational awareness gets you killed. Even against lights with ECM you have counterplay - popping a UAV, seismic sensor, heck you can even turn your ECM to distrupt of it's such a problem.
Yes, Assaults are big and stompy, and the most popular class. Yes they have the biggest guns. But still, there is always counter play. I find assault mechs often tunnel vision in whatever assault slug fest they're in. Use that to your advantage. Pop around a corner or ridge at and angle they're not looking towards. Flank around the assault blob and alpha strike one in the back - even if you don't kill one out right, that's one assault not in the fight trying to chase you instead. You can kite them like mad.
Against ER LL and LRMs, there is counterplay. Break sightlines, get into cover, reposition.

And I will point out that non of these strategies are full proof. None of them ever will be. There is no "press this button to win against the class I don't like." But the game has set out clear mechanics and counterplay options to you, and it's your fault for not making use of them.

#42 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 February 2022 - 07:05 AM

View Postnvx 116, on 26 January 2022 - 10:13 PM, said:

This post is bulls**t(( sorry mods)) but if you can face tank an assault that means the assaults is combat ineffective

That's not true. The direwolf, annihilator, fafnir, and company are all terrifying gunboats that can delete whatever they look at. The atlas is a tank. The victor and highlander are skirmishers/snipers. The marauder IIC is a fantastic brawler. There's as much diversity in the assault class as nearly any other, so simply boiling it down to "they must all facetank" betrays that you really have no clue what you're talking about, and you have no clue about having no clue about what you're talking about.

already we've been served to the point that lights can withstand a 100(now 50) pinpoint damage we cant even penetrate other assaults...

Light mechs are thoroughly within 2 shot territory. Pretty much all of them. Don't lie.

please dont make them nerf us anymore... I want to beable to help my team. Hgr needs a buff I shouldnt be in optimal range and just scratch someone's paint with dual heavy gauss or any weapon for assualts... we cannot defend ourselves or assault properly assaults are supposed to be scary when encountered.. not some scrap metal with legs..

Assault Mechs are scary. If you are having issues with gameplay you should seek out resources that help you to improve your gameplay, rather than simply demanding that what you play gets buffed, and what they play gets nerfed.

pick up a rule book for battle tech and implement accodenly.. cause right now assaults cant do what they were made for.. you gave the assaults role to the lights and the light role to assualts

This is mechwarrior. This isn't battletech. This is a real time action sim set in the battletech universe. Letting you roleplay as Kai Allard Liao isn't a priority and it never will be. Battletech stats and values are heavy abstractions of what's actually "supposed" to happen, to the point where the values therein are virtually useless in balancing a real time shooter.

Aside from you nursing a ***** of an inferiority complex, even the older mechwarrior games didn't actually let you face tank as an assault for long. In mechwarrior 2, battletech TT damage values basically meant every mech was made of paper. Mechwarrior 3 was similar in that regard. In mechwarrior 4, the game that arguably let assaults stomp hardest, alphas were so high even the most well armoured assaults were basically 3 shots from death at any time as long as the person shooting had reasonably ok aim, and thats even with one shot kill protection.

MWO has some of the tankiest assaults ever.

The halcyon days of god mode ubertank assault mechs that never die didn't happen. Stop pretending it did, and stop pretending that demanding PGI harken back to those good old days that didnt happen is a remotely reasonable thing to ask for. It's not.

Nobody reasonable is asking for assaults to get nerfed, but every time any other class gets a buff, a tiny subset of assault pilots are the ones who scream about being nerfed.

Edited by pbiggz, 01 February 2022 - 07:09 AM.

#43 NanoLeviathan

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 01:30 PM

It would help if match making included a weight limit for each team.

Sometimes my team has only 2 assaults and the enemy as 6. The firepower imbalance is huge

#44 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 04:53 PM

View PostNanoLeviathan, on 01 February 2022 - 01:30 PM, said:

Sometimes my team has only 2 assaults and the enemy as 6. The firepower imbalance is huge

Ya know?

It's funny.

This does occasionally happen. And when it "occasionally happens" on Conquest? The team with 'only' two assault 'mechs tends to win, because the game mode allows mobility to be useful. It's almost like a team with nothing but 20kph gunboats should have to work its *** off to compensate for having no mobility to speak of and allowing the game to become a comfortable Moron's Bumrush lemming run to the middle of the map isn't actually good for the game at all.

Everyone remember all the shrieking assault 'Mech jocks constantly throw out about Nascar and leaving them in the lurch to die? Man...what would you think those guys would say if moving as slowly as a Dire Whale moves was actually a detriment instead of just a flavor choice? What do you figure they'd say if having 'Mechs on your team capable of breaking a hundred KPH was as much of a 'requirement' for victory as having thirty autocannons' worth of Annihilators?

What if assault 'Mechs had to actually pay for all that good **** they get by needing to know where to go and what to do in a match because they're hopelessly outmaneuvered, they know it, and their lack of mobility is actually a problem for them?

Man...what an interesting game that would be...

#45 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 01 February 2022 - 06:43 PM

View PostNanoLeviathan, on 01 February 2022 - 01:30 PM, said:

look in the Forum

Assaults easy prey for Lights and useless
nerf Weapon XYZ
-assaults to bad...all have problems with the builds ,Players ,or Teams and Groups ,and not seeing thats the most Problem is her Own playstyle.What Brings 2 Assaults when AFK or DLC, the Teams ignored her and make her own Thing or the Assualts in bad Hands ?im seeing Matchs who a assault lance is died in Seconds while walking in the Murderball of the Enemy or helpless against Long range Fire while only brawl Weapons.

It's not a problem of weapons or tonnage, it's the problem in every game with a long game history and a random system where people playing a game for the first time meet people who have been playing for 40 years and more, driving the most different vehicles and such sometimes also in reality and have the most different experiences and training, especially in a military game with a lot of real military experience and that all without a respawn and lobby system where you can choose with and against whom to play.

In Battlefield 2 the boys can howl...the others have too many jets, or use a jet themselves, or use an AA (bad for one's K/D) and most walked in Kharkand to the First Point Hotel in the MG and nadesspam over and over again... that's not the other team's fault and if you keep trying Nascar here and wondering why the assualts don't support you or you get rolled over from behind, it's not the other team's fault.
Man is capable of reason, but the least master this path.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 01 February 2022 - 07:11 PM.

#46 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 February 2022 - 08:49 PM

View Post1453 R, on 01 February 2022 - 04:53 PM, said:

Ya know?

It's funny.

This does occasionally happen. And when it "occasionally happens" on Conquest? The team with 'only' two assault 'mechs tends to win, because the game mode allows mobility to be useful. It's almost like a team with nothing but 20kph gunboats should have to work its *** off to compensate for having no mobility to speak of and allowing the game to become a comfortable Moron's Bumrush lemming run to the middle of the map isn't actually good for the game at all.

Everyone remember all the shrieking assault 'Mech jocks constantly throw out about Nascar and leaving them in the lurch to die? Man...what would you think those guys would say if moving as slowly as a Dire Whale moves was actually a detriment instead of just a flavor choice? What do you figure they'd say if having 'Mechs on your team capable of breaking a hundred KPH was as much of a 'requirement' for victory as having thirty autocannons' worth of Annihilators?

What if assault 'Mechs had to actually pay for all that good **** they get by needing to know where to go and what to do in a match because they're hopelessly outmaneuvered, they know it, and their lack of mobility is actually a problem for them?

Man...what an interesting game that would be...

Posted Image

#47 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 01 February 2022 - 09:08 PM

we seeing it in MW4,we has ten years the big Leagues system with Invasions,Droproutes, Logistic systems and Times, Landingsfight and tactical and strategical warfare and the Stupid kidding Multiplayer Casual Part ,who all used assaults without Heat/Ammoon the same Level like Quake Arena and loves to play fast and dies fast without each graet tactical Awarness.The Real True is ,the most to stupid for aMechwarrior Games,a nd to undestand rules and Tactics , thats like my Brother .he handycaped with locical Thinking ,so he has only 2 Options-Playing agressively without each tactic and hope the best ,or use cheats and Glitches for his sucess...so no Body will play with him in reality

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 01 February 2022 - 09:15 PM.

#48 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 06:56 PM

Love these where people say you need tactics and to 2vs1 against lights.. essentially saying lights > assaults.. lol

#49 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,825 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 06 February 2022 - 07:18 PM

View PostEider, on 06 February 2022 - 06:56 PM, said:

Love these where people say you need tactics and to 2vs1 against lights.. essentially saying lights > assaults.. lol

Which will make 22 February all that much more fun. Posted Image

#50 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:16 PM

Just shoot the light dude

#51 Eider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 10:13 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 06 February 2022 - 08:16 PM, said:

Just shoot the light dude

Im guessing you never play a light, you guys love to pretend they are hard to use.. they are not. They just arent popular because people like big heavy looking mechs thinking the will do fine only to be melted in seconds due to low TTK.. lol

#52 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 10:31 PM

No, if it's 2 Assaults vs 2 Lights, the Assaults can peel for each other, so none of the Light mechs' usual 1v1 tactics would be viable.

Same as in Vanilla World of Warcraft, Rogue vs Warrior. In a 1v1, the Rogue should successfully gank the Warrior almost every time, unless the Rogue player makes a mistake. Things change if it's multiple Rogues vs multiple Warriors. All of a sudden none of those 1v1 tricks like the 5-8 deadzone kite will work anymore. You can deadzone kite 1 Warrior, you can't deadzone multiple ones.

Edited by YueFei, 06 February 2022 - 10:31 PM.

#53 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 11:59 PM

The mech is so big and heavy that tripping a 100ton is not going to happen.

humans and animals have hollow skeletons who makes us lighter. we are tripped because we are not heavy enough.

starwars tripping AT-AT never happened without Hollywood Magic.

A 20ton mech would be instantly crunched by a single stomp since it's 5x times its own weight.

The game had knockdown in the past but Jenner's were used as Siege Ram to knock down assault.

Next time go outside and try to trip your house. You can't because the house is too big compared to your size and weight.

The assault are a lot bigger than they are animated in the videogame. A lot bigger.

#54 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,825 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:00 AM

I’ve tripped assault mechs in the board game, so I know it’s possible for an imaginary walking tank to fall over on an imaginary battlefield.

But sure, try as I might, I’ve never managed to catch my house behind the knee when it has one foot off the ground in the middle of taking a step. Posted Image

#55 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:41 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 07 February 2022 - 04:00 AM, said:

I’ve tripped assault mechs in the board game, so I know it’s possible for an imaginary walking tank to fall over on an imaginary battlefield.

But sure, try as I might, I’ve never managed to catch my house behind the knee when it has one foot off the ground in the middle of taking a step. Posted Image

But if you would be a bit fatter and/or house a bit lighter to comparable weight 1:5 (20 tonner vs 100 tonner mechs comparison) it might be possible to trip your house. And if you managed to do it that would be pretty bad mess inside Posted Image.

#56 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 07 February 2022 - 07:56 AM

View PostEider, on 06 February 2022 - 10:13 PM, said:

Im guessing you never play a light, you guys love to pretend they are hard to use.. they are not. They just arent popular because people like big heavy looking mechs thinking the will do fine only to be melted in seconds due to low TTK.. lol

You know, in every online pvp game the majority of people flog to the characters/mechs/classes which are considered op. What is op? One of the aforementioned things which is easiest to use and most effective killing things. Bottom line: just look what is played most and you know what is op.

But of course in MW:O this doesn't apply because it is a special game. Yup, we got that. Right

Edited by Weeny Machine, 08 February 2022 - 06:40 AM.

#57 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 383 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 08:51 AM

Impossible to tell what is not the priority target. You get points for killing any mech.

The case remain is that people see light mechs such a danger that they are prioritized.

Any mech can be destroyed in any order. But light mechs are prioritized 1st because you get points for killing mechs.

The ranking used to be based on only the killing of mechs and not the victories to diverse bad from good players. This didn't worked at all because bad players targeted light mechs to gain better score no matter if them won the game. This is why light mechs are the tanks in this game.

light mechs are such bullet magnets that they can make a whole team run around the map. but they also dies fast without mobility because they are always prio because of human error. This is why light mechs shouldn't provide any scores to kill, to keep the bad player at the bad bay.

#58 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 February 2022 - 07:13 AM

Im guessing you never play a light,

I dont pilot a light because im terrible with them. My gunnery isn't good enough to move fast and still land shots reliably.

you guys love to pretend they are hard to use.. they are not.

lol prove it. I can say santa, the easter bunny and trickle down economics are real, doesn't mean im not just pulling it out of my ***, which you are. You cant just say "actually lights are easy to use" because you dont like them.

They just arent popular because people like big heavy looking mechs

Again, prove it. I know you wont. You cant. Which is why you shouldn't make this **** up.

thinking the will do fine only to be melted in seconds due to low TTK.. lol

The Grimmechs Piranha has 22 points of armour on the CT, and 18 on the side torso. You tell me what melts in seconds.

#59 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:24 AM

lights are annoying to fight in assaults, but they are not op lol

assault should absolutely be able to melt things.

#60 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 08 February 2022 - 10:59 AM

10/10 for the creativity and the ability to invent stuff out of nowhere.
the assaults are the ones that survive less among the classes because the armor/size/speed puts them at great disadvantage in terms of tankyness compared to smaller chassis.

Feel free to join my channell, JGx D A T A on youtube if you want to learn how to pick a light mech and sh*t on the game with impunity with the skill requirements of a monkey

Edited by D A T A, 08 February 2022 - 11:11 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users