• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,825 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:15 AM

View PostNomad Tech, on 31 January 2022 - 05:24 AM, said:

They are a lazy mans weapon.

Only if you're standing on the horizon asking people to press R so you can get hits.

If you're up with the team, getting your own locks, and scoring with lasers and lurms at the same time... not lazy.

#42 MrTBSC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:54 AM

the fun of LRMing people is about the same fun with MRM+Racs or Multi gunboats ... you pepper enemies all over with a constant stream or cluster of projectiles in "FIRE EVERYTHING" fassion precission be damned, sure most do it over indirect longrange but it´s also useable if not more effective over direct midrange cause of the shorter projektile traveltime

#43 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:40 AM

View PostMrTBSC, on 31 January 2022 - 07:54 AM, said:

the fun of LRMing people is about the same fun with MRM+Racs or Multi gunboats ... you pepper enemies all over with a constant stream or cluster of projectiles in "FIRE EVERYTHING" fassion precission be damned, sure most do it over indirect longrange but it´s also useable if not more effective over direct midrange cause of the shorter projektile traveltime

partially true...

If you are leaning into MRM+Racs or Multi gunboat play... You are accepting it's an all or nothing proposition. MRM+Racs require full-on exposure of your mech to maximize your damage potential. It's a pure trade of damage with the hope you come out on top.

If you are a passive long-range sniper or LRM player... You can (at least for a short while) mitigate absorbing catastrophic damage. GOOD long-range sniper or LRM players know when to post up and know when to move and shoot and know enough to bring at least one back-up weapon when the battle rotates into them.

#44 Brom96

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 11:09 AM

LRM is dependent heavily on other players calling targets / that is, they tell you what to shoot, presumably something that is greatest threat for them, and you drop on it, whether they lock it or you do.

LRM boat has no place in front line, since most builds lack armour/close range weapons to pull it off. Also, standing back, but no far back since lights might decide that you are easy target, is crucial for proper positioning. Give it a try playing heavy LRM boat and see how it easy for the enemy to find cover and how hard for you it might be to lob the missiles at them over or around it. Medium/light lrm boats are much better for maneuvering, but they might lack the ammo capacity to break through ams cover so abundant these past years .

And that is it. Ecm and ams, they are enough these days to usually break this weapon system. It simply does not pay to play lrm boats in tiers above 4. Unless you are ok with doing 200 / 300 damage.

#45 Klavo Hunter

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 04:46 PM

A year ago or more, I used to main a Kit Fox with 2 LRM15s and either 4 ERML or 3ERML+TAG, using its small size and mobility to get into all sorts of positions to rain indirect fire on the enemy. It let me LRM without the guilt of depriving the main battle line of a heavy or assault 'mech that should be trading armor.

For whatever combination of reasons, lately this has not been terribly effective or fun to play as. The fellow pointing out how there's so many ECM 'Mechs on the battlefield nowadays isn't wrong, and the lasers are now inadequate to the task of fighting the favored modern light 'mechs that hunt LRM boats.

The main LRM 'mech I get much success and fun with lately is a LRM55 + 2xERLL Nova Cat as a dirty sniper $%^$%, as that really feels like I can still punish enemies that close in, albeit at high heat load.

My Huntsman with 2 LRM20s and 4 SPLs can be very hit-or-miss, I got frustrated and stopped using it for some reason during the event to rack up 8000 missile damage for paint.

I'm finishing that blasted event with an SRM boat...

#46 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 31 January 2022 - 04:52 PM

The joy is watching those 11 free roaming uavs go off to die while you just farm your damage for whatever event has the 5000 missile damage requirement then go back to your not-lrm mech and have fun again.

#47 Cerebus23

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 06:12 PM

the gripe is when lrm turns into cement shoes. on top of locks can be dodgy, and lrm is slower dps over any form of direct.

this can be mitigated by machine gun or lasers, spl even will melt stuff quick up close. lrm till squishy while moving up, gun or laser what is left usually pops fast. my dire lrms will lead pushes w guns and or lasers.

#48 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:27 PM

View PostCerebus23, on 31 January 2022 - 06:12 PM, said:

the gripe is when lrm turns into cement shoes. on top of locks can be dodgy, and lrm is slower dps over any form of direct.

this can be mitigated by machine gun or lasers, spl even will melt stuff quick up close. lrm till squishy while moving up, gun or laser what is left usually pops fast. my dire lrms will lead pushes w guns and or lasers.

Just make sure the secondary weapons you equip are usable WHILE using the LRMs rather than INSTEAD OF the LRMs. Use long enough ranged lasers to fire them at the same time. Otherwise you’re spending tonnage on weapons that you hope to never use.

#49 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 31 January 2022 - 09:36 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 30 January 2022 - 11:42 AM, said:

I only feel helpless when the enemy team and my team decide that each sit on a hill and snipe away for minutes. Sure, I can get close to the other team and harass them but it is just too risky. And sure, I can get good scores with my 3LPPC lights. But then I am contributing to the gallery shooter this game has become

As I said before, the interactivity got lower compared to two years ago. But to each his own I guess

than not playx Brawl only ,learn thats a pair LLaser give you mor Freedom fpor Play ...away with you "im Will ,Im will..."thats game not designed for only you Palystyle ,life with it or goe and search for a Brawl Only Game ...faceball 2000 is perfect for you, or have you a visual handycap to hit Targets thats not fill you Monitorview ?
Nobody cares about your problems that are your own fault. You don't want to change your playing style, you don't want to adapt, you want the others to change so that you have your own fun. Nobody wants to play with someone like you.

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 01 February 2022 - 02:03 AM.

#50 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 February 2022 - 05:03 PM

WOW, ok i can say more.
have helped some folks, in my many years, of playing, is how to make money in game, sure you can use 300 hundred GREENBACKs -- and buy like 4 ok mechs, or build 1 simple TIMBERWOLF prime, take the 20s LRMS off, and put on 2 LRM 15s, and get heat sinks, OH my its cash cow.
LEARN EASY
SAWK CLANNER Posted Image

Edited by Sawk, 01 February 2022 - 05:05 PM.

#51 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 10:32 PM

Click button. The number goes down. What's not to love?

#52 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:04 PM

lrm chad vs beta ppc/gauss boi

#53 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:54 PM

Had a fun time dropping in this fellow tonight. https://mwo.nav-alph...=726bc66a_ARC-T
Carried a match on River City with it, 5 kills, 900 damage. The Tempest with its weapon door damage reduction is pretty tanky, and I polished off a few reds who would pop around the corner to finish off the “lurm boat” only to find it hanging tough and twisting the damage with 5 ERML in their faces. Rinse, repeat, for a 12-10 match!

#54 LordBraxton

• The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 09:32 PM

I have one mech with LRMs I like, an orion IIC with 2erml, UAC10, and 3ALRM15s.

It's just a lot of oppressive firepower at the 300-500 range band where a lot of fights take place, and getting hit by a UAC while hearing 'incoming missile' really seems to mindfuck people, they tend to panic and retreat even if they could out trade me.

#55 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 February 2022 - 10:15 PM

That moment when your friend NARCs and enemy and you have 80 tubes of LRMs...

Posted Image

#56 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,435 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 06 February 2022 - 11:48 PM

+1
Second this Archer Tempest ARC-T !

Mine is very similar, with Artemis-LRM15 + 4xMPL. Medium Pulse Lasers fire cooler for similar damage, shorter laser range, at slower 64.8 kph
https://mwo.nav-alph...=2686c26c_ARC-T
(Verses your below ARC-T build which ran at 69.4 kph)

Additional explanations:
a) No BAP, because if enemy is close enough to disrupt your LRM targeting, just press "J" to toggle ECM to "Counter" to jam enemy Light mech's ECM, and then shoot them with lasers. More than a few Light mechs were surprised with lasers!

b ) Once you run out of LRM ammo, your ARC-T with ECM has a second career with a respectable laser vomit at around 65-70 kph. Great for end-game Light mech hunting. Posted Image

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 06 February 2022 - 08:54 PM, said:

Had a fun time dropping in this fellow tonight. https://mwo.nav-alph...=726bc66a_ARC-T
Carried a match on River City with it, 5 kills, 900 damage. The Tempest with its weapon door damage reduction is pretty tanky, and I polished off a few reds who would pop around the corner to finish off the “lurm boat” only to find it hanging tough and twisting the damage with 5 ERML in their faces. Rinse, repeat, for a 12-10 match!

Edited by w0qj, 07 February 2022 - 04:36 AM.

#57 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 February 2022 - 06:16 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 31 January 2022 - 07:15 AM, said:

Only if you're standing on the horizon asking people to press R so you can get hits.

If you're up with the team, getting your own locks, and scoring with lasers and lurms at the same time... not lazy.

Which sadly a lot do.

View PostKlavo Hunter, on 31 January 2022 - 04:46 PM, said:

A year ago or more, I used to main a Kit Fox with 2 LRM15s and either 4 ERML or 3ERML+TAG, using its small size and mobility to get into all sorts of positions to rain indirect fire on the enemy. It let me LRM without the guilt of depriving the main battle line of a heavy or assault 'mech that should be trading armor.

For whatever combination of reasons, lately this has not been terribly effective or fun to play as. The fellow pointing out how there's so many ECM 'Mechs on the battlefield nowadays isn't wrong, and the lasers are now inadequate to the task of fighting the favored modern light 'mechs that hunt LRM boats.

The main LRM 'mech I get much success and fun with lately is a LRM55 + 2xERLL Nova Cat as a dirty sniper $%^$%, as that really feels like I can still punish enemies that close in, albeit at high heat load.

My Huntsman with 2 LRM20s and 4 SPLs can be very hit-or-miss, I got frustrated and stopped using it for some reason during the event to rack up 8000 missile damage for paint.

I'm finishing that blasted event with an SRM boat...

If i'm forced to run a LRM boat. I've found a Supernova with 2xLRM20s, 2x Er Large lasers and 2x Er mediums is best.. So i can move up front with my lrms and laser boat. It for me does a devastating amount of damage.. I just cannot sit at the back.. i carry as much ammo and heatsinks as will allow..

Edited by Nomad Tech, 08 February 2022 - 06:25 PM.

#58 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 08 February 2022 - 09:11 PM

View PostNomad Tech, on 08 February 2022 - 06:16 PM, said:

If i'm forced to run a LRM boat. I've found a Supernova with 2xLRM20s, 2x Er Large lasers and 2x Er mediums is best.. So i can move up front with my lrms and laser boat. It for me does a devastating amount of damage.. I just cannot sit at the back.. i carry as much ammo and heatsinks as will allow..

Using what, a standard engine? You can run that loadout on a much lighter chassis if you’re clan. It’s about right for an IS mech, though.

#59 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:36 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 February 2022 - 10:15 PM, said:

That moment when your friend NARCs and enemy and you have 80 tubes of LRMs...

Posted Image

80??
thats rookie stuff
i run the blood asp troll build with lmr 130 lol

#60 katoult

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:42 AM

I wish i had video from a particular shotcalled Old Polar Domination match a while ago in which a Corsair was the first to crest the hill - before getting insta-deleted three seconds later by 460 LRMs hitting him simultaneously.

And that was considerably before #ToBeClear.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users