Feb 2022 Patch, And What's In The Candy Box?

64 replies to this topic

#1 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,435 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 13 February 2022 - 11:44 PM

Just curious, would the upcoming patch be on Feb 22nd 2022?

And what's in it? Cannot wait! Posted Image

I for one feel that there's a 2nd Renaissance in Energy Weapons, especially lasers.

And energy weapons are what those (S) Special Variants in the Premium Mech Packs are good at, which have yet to receive the MWO/Cauldron mech quirk pass, such as:

RFL-IIC(S)
WHM-IIC(S)
VGL-1(S)
CRB-27( R)
WHK-Prime(I)
etc.

I also want the MAD-IIC(S) also (this one already received the MWO/Cauldron mech quirk pass).

Very interested to see what's inside the candy box! Posted Image

Edited by w0qj, 14 February 2022 - 12:12 AM.

#2 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 February 2022 - 12:07 AM

Exactly what this game needs: more laser spam Posted Image

#3 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 01:52 AM

Well, I hope that the Orions get a quirk pass. For some reason I like these ugly beasts.

#4 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 05:49 AM

View Postw0qj, on 13 February 2022 - 11:44 PM, said:

Just curious, would the upcoming patch be on Feb 22nd 2022?

And what's in it? Cannot wait! Posted Image

I for one feel that there's a 2nd Renaissance in Energy Weapons, especially lasers.

And energy weapons are what those (S) Special Variants in the Premium Mech Packs are good at, which have yet to receive the MWO/Cauldron mech quirk pass, such as:

RFL-IIC(S)
WHM-IIC(S)
VGL-1(S)
CRB-27( R)
WHK-Prime(I)
etc.

I also want the MAD-IIC(S) also (this one already received the MWO/Cauldron mech quirk pass).

Very interested to see what's inside the candy box! Posted Image

View PostWeeny Machine, on 14 February 2022 - 12:07 AM, said:

Exactly what this game needs: more laser spam Posted Image

Yeah I don't think some of those need any buffs...

#5 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:52 AM

At 14:42 in this video, DATA claims ac5, uac5, and lbx5's will get buffs.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,793 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:05 AM

View Postknight-of-ni, on 14 February 2022 - 06:52 AM, said:

At 14:42 in this video, DATA claims ac5, uac5, and lbx5's will get buffs.

always felt the 5 line was weak(er than it used to be).

the crabs could use some quirks for flavor to differentiate the variants. with the exception of the hero they are practically interchangeable.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 February 2022 - 08:10 AM.

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:11 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 February 2022 - 08:05 AM, said:

always felt the 5 line was weak(er than it used to be).

And 2 line is so strong vs 5 line, almost same dps with better velocity & range and way less slots and few tons.

#8 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 14 February 2022 - 01:57 PM

View PostCurccu, on 14 February 2022 - 08:11 AM, said:

And 2 line is so strong vs 5 line, almost same dps with better velocity & range and way less slots and few tons.

I agree with the AC5s but I hope they do not buff all autocannons because this would be another indirect buff to heavies and assaults. After all they have mostly the space to carry these heavy weapons.

But I guess that's ok because lights op lololo!111!!11 /eyeroll

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 February 2022 - 02:22 PM

I've been saying that the AC/5 has been a mediocre weapon for the past like 50 years, or however long it was since its cooldown got nerfed to 1.66.

I'm hoping for a cooldown buff to 1.5 for the AC/5 and LB/5 (though the UAC/5 can probably stay as-is).

Edited by FupDup, 14 February 2022 - 02:22 PM.

#10 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 14 February 2022 - 02:55 PM

View PostCurccu, on 14 February 2022 - 05:49 AM, said:

Yeah I don't think some of those need any buffs...

Considering that the recent Cauldron patches significantly buffed the Hellbringer and Summoner, two already strong mechs, I beg to differ. Most of the mechs OP listed could use some rebalancing.

#11 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:28 PM

View PostCurccu, on 14 February 2022 - 08:11 AM, said:

Honestly, I might look into dropping the /2 DPS and only somewhat improving the 5s, as opposed to purely buffing the 5.

In particular, the single-shot AC/5s have an interesting use in delivering fairly substantial pinpoint damage at reasonably long range, along the lines of an ERPPC (with less heat and faster cycling) or a light gauss rifle (with no charge time and faster cycling).

I've seen a number of 3x AC/5 2x ERPPC loadouts out there as surprisingly effective snipers.

Edited by foamyesque, 14 February 2022 - 04:16 PM.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,825 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:39 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 14 February 2022 - 03:28 PM, said:

Honestly, I might look into dropping the /2 DPS and only somewhat improving the 5s, as opposed to purely buffing the 5.

In particular, the single-shot AC/5s have an interesting use in delivering fairly substantial pinpoint damage at reasonably long range, along the lines of an ERPPC (with less heat and faster cycling) or a light gauss rifle (with no charge time and faster cycling), I've seen a number of 3x AC/5 2x ERPPC loadouts out there as surprisingly effective snipers.

The more patches go by, the better my old favorite 2xPPC, 2xAC/5 Marauder 3R gets. Posted Image

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 February 2022 - 03:50 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 14 February 2022 - 03:28 PM, said:

I'd rather not, because the /5 isn't mediocre compared to only the /2. Most of the time I'd rather use a /10 in place of two /5's and use the spare weight on other stuffs. Or just go full potato and mount a RAC/2 in its place.

It feels like it gets the worst of both worlds between the 2 and 10. Too fast and plinky to be a sword-and-board gun like the 10, but too slow to be a suppressor like the 2. And for some reason it feels harder to aim (IMO) than the slower 10.

#14 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 February 2022 - 04:18 PM

It would be sweet if IS uac5 reduced its slot requirement by one. As it stands you can basically only boat them on builds that have mounts across the torso and arms.

#15 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:14 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 14 February 2022 - 04:18 PM, said:

It would be sweet if IS uac5 reduced its slot requirement by one. As it stands you can basically only boat them on builds that have mounts across the torso and arms.

You can jam two of them in a side torso with space leftover for a LFE, and two in arms that don't have actuators. That's really not that bad.

Edited by Kanil, 14 February 2022 - 06:14 PM.

#16 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 06:45 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 February 2022 - 03:50 PM, said:

I'd rather not, because the /5 isn't mediocre compared to only the /2. Most of the time I'd rather use a /10 in place of two /5's and use the spare weight on other stuffs. Or just go full potato and mount a RAC/2 in its place.

It feels like it gets the worst of both worlds between the 2 and 10. Too fast and plinky to be a sword-and-board gun like the 10, but too slow to be a suppressor like the 2. And for some reason it feels harder to aim (IMO) than the slower 10.

I didn't say to do it exclusively by weakening the /2 line, but I think you can reduce its raw DPS slightly and that'll reduce the magnitude of the buff you need to give the /5s. There's reasons other'n raw DPS to go with /5s over /10s or /20s, like tonnage limits, heat limits, and range. /2s having better DPS while also having better performance in almost every single other way (excepting alpha) is a much more glaring mismatch.

#17 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:10 PM

So far we know the following are up for buffs:

Warhawk
Crab
Onion
Onion IIC
Mad Cat MkII (before you lose your mind, the strong builds aren't affected, and the -B gains an alternate use)
Assassin
Grasshopper
Adder (minor)
Thanatos (minor)

Some of those are strong chassis, but it looks like the strong variants got little to nothing, so I'm not seeing anything of concern.

#18 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:13 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 February 2022 - 02:22 PM, said:

I'm hoping for a cooldown buff to 1.5 for the AC/5 and LB/5 (though the UAC/5 can probably stay as-is).

I mean, what would get broken if UAC/5 also got that?

#19 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:19 PM

View PostKanil, on 14 February 2022 - 06:14 PM, said:

You can jam two of them in a side torso with space leftover for a LFE, and two in arms that don't have actuators. That's really not that bad.

Yes but I was talking about uac5 not uac10. IS uac are ridiculously large slot wise. You could shave one slot off the entire IS uac line and the clans would still have smaller guns and IS uac would still be hard to fit.

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,793 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 08:52 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 14 February 2022 - 01:57 PM, said:

I agree with the AC5s but I hope they do not buff all autocannons because this would be another indirect buff to heavies and assaults. After all they have mostly the space to carry these heavy weapons.

But I guess that's ok because lights op lololo!111!!11 /eyeroll

the problem with 2s and 5s is that you pretty much have to boat them. which means yes you are going to need to a mech with both the tonnage and hardpoints to do so. so a small buff on a single gun becomes a force multiplier on a 6 gun build. the gun still underperforms on light platforms and the boat still dominates the battlefield. then when you get to the 10 class you finally have a weapon that can stand on its own. the 20s have their own issues. balancing guns is deceptively complicated.

there is also the fact that no matter how you define the role of the smaller guns, they are always going to be dps weapons. "surge damage" doesn't mean much for the uac2, especially if you have 4 or more of them. you just spam the button in most cases. if you wanted to make it a true surge damage weapon, it would need to be able to drop a large salvo after a long cd, make it do a 4 round burst every 1.5 seconds (at 2 damage/round). but then again something like that would give an uac2 uv a 64 point alpha. the mechanics are all available for something like that. uac5 also becomes a dps weapon when boated. even in a dual configuration its just a dps weapon that sometimes has more dps than usual. once you commence firing you fire until something dies or something overheats.

i think the problems with the 20 class can be fixed with some max range changes. make it a more viable option in the 400-500m range so it doesnt lock you into an exclusive brawling role. then stick some velocity buffs on it. 10 class is fine.

that said i think the best way to approach to buffing autocannons, is so make small changes and then spam cd quirks on anything that cant boat the things. that along with the proposed max range buff to the 20 class.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users