8 Vs 8 Quickplay Weekend

563 replies to this topic

#501 J O B

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:57 PM

I didn't mind 8v8 on a basic level. I could take that or 12v12. Probably prefer 12v12 more, but it's not a big difference. That being said, the problems that groups bring to the matchmaker are amplified in 8v8. You could take the easy route and just make groups for faction play only, but people won't like that. They won't like it, but it's by far the easiest route to better matchmaking in quick play. Very little programming, and removes a big item that the matchmaker cannot seem to balance. All other matchmaker problems require more resources than pgi has available. Like it or not, matchmaker problems will chase away more players than any other issue currently on the table.

#502 Lord Dantes

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 05:42 PM

8v8 play is something that seems like a good idea on paper, but really doesn't work for Mechwarrior Online right now for a number of reasons. I greatly look forward to the feedback thread, where I intend to post more detailed reasoning behind my thoughts. My short statement here, having just gotten done playing an evening of this new mode, is that I despise it. I don't merely dislike it. I can't stomach it, and I sincerely hope that I wont be forced to endure it for future event progress.

#503 TheGreyWolfe

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 06:54 PM

8v8 opinion after 30+ games.

Role based combat and varied builds and tactics - Gone. (Max Alpha Mechs all the time).
Objective based game play - Gone. Find and kill as quickly as possible, now all skirmish.
1-2 DCs/AFKs - game over.
1-2 team members make a poor placement decisions - game over.

Once one side is +3; game over. Yet to see a game where a team down 3 came back, usually because (since 3 people are dead) it ends up being a sweep of 4-6 enemy mechs vs 1-2 at a time which they can walk and quickly snowball. Spending more time sometimes waiting for a game than actually in one.

Too unforgiving and flat out unplayable with current MM (known bad PSR, Group, and weight balancing issues) - if QP was 8v8 all of the time it will not bring in new players, and will drive away players that lean towards strategic simulation vs players that really enjoy the MOBA style.

8v8 could work as solaris/limited event/separate queue with fixed type where all Mechs had the same weight class.

Edited by TheGreyWolfe, 20 March 2022 - 06:56 PM.

#504 DreamyMisfit

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 07:05 PM

I prefer 12v12. 8v8 is faster but is that really what mechs are about? This game seems more suited to epic and dynamic 12v12 team strategy.

#505 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 20 March 2022 - 10:06 PM

LOVING IT!!!

Better pacing and gameplay overall

#506 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 20 March 2022 - 10:35 PM

I have bad feeling, that after patch, even 12X12 wont be the same. 5 days too long.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 20 March 2022 - 10:35 PM.

#507 Bamboozle Gold

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 02:11 AM

Not really offering any new insights but here's my thoughts on the 8v8:

It has felt fresh. The fights are very brutal. Less long range poking / trading and a lot more pushing happening.

Organised groups can be deadly, more so than in 12v12. In general team cohesion wins games - not really a surprise here.

Extreme tonnage disparity happens more regularly (see below screenshot for my worst). This wouldn't be a problem if assaults / heavies weren't still overperforming lights / mediums. Time to buff lights some more?

I have encountered some stomps but no more than usual. A lot of very close matches too.

I play brawl so I've quite enjoyed this experiment but I can understand that people who prefer to sit in the back and fire LRMs or ERLL are unhappy.

I think it's an interesting experiment and very glad to see options being explored. I think it's a decent enough concept to explore further but would need more balancing to improve the lights mechs and long range builds.

Posted Image

#508 Bo0gY

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 03:10 AM

8v8 is much better than 12v12, feel like i matter more than in a 24

#509 W4S4B1

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 05:49 AM

I agree, the 8vs8 mode is bad, because of group drops and the balancing of MM really bad.

View PostRonbo, on 19 March 2022 - 04:09 PM, said:

To add the data in this thread, i gave up reading on page 17...
[color=#030303]I'm Tier4/5 after a year (because PSR is broke as well)... [/color]

But on this point I disagree. I started on february 22 a second account, for testing and an challenge: how fast can I go up playing only a Flea 17 (the first 4 matches in a trial Flea 17, the rest in my own Flea 17). 109 Matches in 5 days and I reached Tier 3. I don't see where the PSR is supposed to be broken and no, I'm not a top player.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by N3WB1E, 21 March 2022 - 05:50 AM.

#510 technopredator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 21 March 2022 - 08:45 AM

I vote for a permanent change to 8vs8: is more shooting and strategy, more matches to join in and more fun; IMO 12vs12 it was old and boring

#511 Fr3d0x

• Pip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:24 AM

12 vs 12 is better, maps more full and games a bit longer and strategic.

#512 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:37 AM

8v8 = Separate Que/Lobby; 2 Player Group Limit; 140 Tons Drop Tonnage Limit for 2 player groups.

12v12 = Back to the way it was.

#513 Daniel Santana

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts
  • LocationGoiânia

Posted 21 March 2022 - 09:47 AM

12 vs 12 is better!

#514 Malystryx VoF

• PipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDarkest depths of your Soul

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:09 AM

8V8 is nice, but things need to be tweaked big time... 4 man's against all PUGS .... major stomp most times. make a limit to the group size being able to sign up..

WEIGHT!!! PLEASE fix this.. how are 5 assaults in an 8 man deck possible while the other side has NONE. bit unbalanced.

but overall... liking the 8v8 a lot.

#515 Araevin Teshurr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 368 posts
  • LocationIn your base, eating your food!

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:21 AM

I prefer 8v8, the queues were faster, the fights were more intense, and there were much less light mechs, largely because they no longer has so many meat shields to exploit. 8-)

Keep 8v8 please, 12v12 is no longer fun.

#516 Frozen Spirit Jac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:01 AM

8v8 was good when the maps were a lot smaller. Now I have gone in a few matches. Some teams Matchmaker obviously thought hell why not. Lets throw a team of assaults with one slow light on the largest map for conquest... when the other team was by far the fastest... Oh well it is ... just for the weekend.Posted Image

#517 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:09 AM

Not a fan of this to be honest. I'd rather it be double this count and especially so given some of the truly large scale maps.

#518 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:12 AM

Not a fan of 8v8... most maps are just too big for that... I'm most happy with 12v12 as it used to be...

#519 Blechreiz

• Pip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:17 AM

So far the games have been far more enjoyable than they have been in the last couple of months (or since this long-range poking idiocy began).

Adjustments to team composition & pre-made groups may need to be made, although I didn't really experience any kind of major imbalances.

#520 Blu Doe 1973

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:44 AM

There is no fun in a stacked game which is what you get from these 8v8 matches, I play QP for a fun experience with the ability to take an unskilled mech into combat an build it slowly,I play on a comp team to get the real feel of teamwork that is lacking from QP an the skills to take on QP better. My drop mates an I haven't been able to do that since thursday an won't till tuesday You've made every match feel like a comp match which is the worst then what you did to Solaris with the buy your way into a division choice. You say you are after data Well guess what, you could have tested that 8v8 alongside 12v12 an you would have gotten that data you wanted without this headache.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users