Maps

101 replies to this topic

#1 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,227 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 10:00 AM

1. Having a new Quick Play map is always nice.

2. Ledges for snipers.
Really the first thing that I noticed is that the playing area has two high terraces facing each other.

I wonder how this map feature is going to affect the gameplay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

3. The playing area is smaller than I expected.
Posted Image

4. I wonder how short- and medium-range 'Mechs will fare on this map.

What do you think about the new map?

Edited by martian, 22 March 2022 - 09:46 PM.

#2 Lumovanis

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:26 AM

Well, I've played half a dozen games on it so far. I was really excited about the map after the first game when it was an all out brawl. Then people discovered "Potato Ridge" and now... it just feels like a giant killzone.

#3 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:44 AM

Well the Wall Warriors outta be happy.

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:57 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 22 March 2022 - 11:44 AM, said:

Well the Wall Warriors outta be happy.

BUT... the map is small enough that 500-600m range weaponry should be able to respond to the snipers if they get into cover positions in the middle. I'll slot up some IS large laser or AC/10 builds this evening and test this out.

View PostLumovanis, on 22 March 2022 - 11:26 AM, said:

Well, I've played half a dozen games on it so far. I was really excited about the map after the first game when it was an all out brawl. Then people discovered "Potato Ridge" and now... it just feels like a giant killzone.

Can we call it "Potato Saw Ridge" ? Posted Image

#5 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 906 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:13 PM

Not sure why they release this thing. Disturbingly boring and unfinished. The creator made a half map and decided it would be quicker to mirror\rotate that for the other half. It is a "you get something, do not cry!" stuff. Seriously. I examined it as a testing ground first (always do with the "new" maps) and noted: sniper\lurmer paradise again. And I successfully played a match on it with a lurmer build. Killing spree.

People cry again and again about "cheaty lurmers". And got maps specially designed for lurmers. Large lasers, PPCs, perhaps. Lurms? Critically hell yeah on this map. Another "Polar highlands-remake" in a row. Remove the "Potato Saw Ridges" and it would be an OK map. Keep them and get lurmed like hell every single f**king time...

After 1-2 days people would avoid this map as they did with the Hellebore outpost.

#6 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:14 PM

So far I like it...

Have only had one match where everyone decided to put on their "Be a sniper for a day" buttons. Posted Image

Others were a good mix of medium and brawl engagements.

#7 cazeral

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:28 PM

I really wanted to be excited about this FP -> QP conversion.

Spent 25 minutes exploring it to realise its pretty much a reskinned HPG without the basement.

F-line and E1/2, D1/2 scream sniper and the ledges on the opposite side are not that far off.

No clue as to why there was a need to add a red river/moat that gives the illusion of a central bounded area, just adds to the confusion.

And the trees, why so many trees? It it were FP, then over 20 to 25 minutes many would be flattened, but in QP, fantastic cover for lights and small, fast mediums.

Just getting the vibe that the maps are all ending up the same, with the one trick pony of turning them into a bowl and encouraging sniper/non-engagement behaviour.

However, for me, this is the best of a bad lot. May be lessons will eventually be learned?

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 12:34 PM

i think i said recently in one of the myriads of 8v8 threads that new mechs and new maps will get me to log in. yesterday i bought 2 hero mechs with my winnings from the event. i think i was wrong. a new map and a new mech are not enough to get me to log back in. see you next event.

#9 Beffa

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 01:02 PM

Would be a mediocre at best map if the buildings didn't have an hitbox almost twice as big as the building itself.

As it stands right now, this map shouldn't have been released.

#10 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 01:06 PM

View PostBeffa, on 22 March 2022 - 01:02 PM, said:

Would be a mediocre at best map if the buildings didn't have an hitbox almost twice as big as the building itself.

As it stands right now, this map shouldn't have been released.

I'll test this tonight too. Any specific buildings with invisible walls, or just all of them?

#11 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 01:31 PM

I kinda wish the map used more of the 5/6/7 lines of the original, rather than just being about the base... but it's always nice to have new maps.

#12 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 22 March 2022 - 01:51 PM

I think map maker listens to high comp cauldron too much. :DD And I say this as a sniper enthusiast....

Nice job making Sniper Paradise Vale.

#13 Rabid Imp

• PipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:02 PM

So a new HPG? take a map that has sniper positions only for lights/mediums with decent JJ and give it access to all...Why are all the map remakes and such built for assaults' to sit around 100m in the air and snip people?

Full disclosure I have not played it yet, but this is what I figured would happen when I first saw it.

#14 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:04 PM

Garbage.

Caustic Valley 2.0

View PostMechB Kotare, on 22 March 2022 - 01:51 PM, said:

I think map maker listens to high comp cauldron too much. :DD And I say this as a sniper enthusiast....

Nice job making Sniper Paradise Vale.

Quite the opposite actually from what I heard, so don't think the Cauldron is always behind everything.

#15 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:25 PM

okay, just spent half an hour in testing grounds on this thing with a very jumpy assassin. I could not find any serious invisible walls, nor did I offhand find any location where I got stuck or somehow out of bounds when the map suggested otherwise. plus the trees are all destructible, so big improvement from Hellebore Springs.

As to the sniper ridges... I think the community is in panic mode about them. From both C3/C4 and F3/F4, you have about 600m of free fire distance to the rock ridges on either side of the center of the map. You do NOT have good overwatch on the center, as most locations and buildings there are behind rock walls. So folks in the center have quite a lot of cover from snipers on the edges. not foolproof, but enough that a dedicated ERLL build isn't going to run the place.

Conversely, a build with medium range weaponry can fire back at those ridges from cover at about 600m range. AC/10 builds of all kinds will be able to pin snipers down from there, and each of those sniper ridges has access points at either end, plus 6 JJ seems to be more than enough to just jump up onto them from anywhere. So anybody sniping is decidedly NOT safe from flankers, and the map is small enough that you don't have to run 140kph to get into position on someone there.

So far... I like it. I'll select it every chance I get for a while for some 12v12 testing.

#16 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:29 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 22 March 2022 - 02:25 PM, said:

okay, just spent half an hour in testing grounds on this thing with a very jumpy assassin. I could not find any serious invisible walls, nor did I offhand find any location where I got stuck or somehow out of bounds when the map suggested otherwise. plus the trees are all destructible, so big improvement from Hellebore Springs.

As to the sniper ridges... I think the community is in panic mode about them. From both C3/C4 and F3/F4, you have about 600m of free fire distance to the rock ridges on either side of the center of the map. You do NOT have good overwatch on the center, as most locations and buildings there are behind rock walls. So folks in the center have quite a lot of cover from snipers on the edges. not foolproof, but enough that a dedicated ERLL build isn't going to run the place.

Conversely, a build with medium range weaponry can fire back at those ridges from cover at about 600m range. AC/10 builds of all kinds will be able to pin snipers down from there, and each of those sniper ridges has access points at either end, plus 6 JJ seems to be more than enough to just jump up onto them from anywhere. So anybody sniping is decidedly NOT safe from flankers, and the map is small enough that you don't have to run 140kph to get into position on someone there.

So far... I like it. I'll select it every chance I get for a while for some 12v12 testing.

If you think sitting in the center(of the mountain ridge) is the only place you can snipe on it, then you need to recheck the angles on it.

I also want to point out you said 6+ Jump Jets to get up there. in all of my games, teams that went up there were never alone, in fact, one team sat up there for the entire duration of the match and didn't move once, we had to push them and it was a painful clown match, so, naturally, when a viper or lynx decides to hop up there to attack, be it in a group or by themselves, the team will probably bonk them into oblivion.

Edited by Scout Derek, 22 March 2022 - 02:30 PM.

#17 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 02:33 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 22 March 2022 - 02:29 PM, said:

If you think sitting in the center(of the mountain ridge) is the only place you can snipe on it, then you need to recheck the angles on it.

I also want to point out you said 6+ Jump Jets to get up there. in all of my games, teams that went up there were never alone, in fact, one team sat up there for the entire duration of the match and didn't move once, we had to push them and it was a painful clown match, so, naturally, when a viper or lynx decides to hop up there to attack, be it in a group or by themselves, the team will probably bonk them into oblivion.

I checked the angles from a few places, yes, but this is just a cursory look. And certainly a lone brawler running or jetting up there is going to have issues, it wouldn't be a good defensive position if it didn't. I'm just saying its possible without a really looooong walk such as on HPG.

#18 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 03:56 PM

far too friendly to ranged play imo. Needs either dramatically less cover on the ridges, more cover in the center, or less of a bowl shape in general

#19 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:34 PM

Yay new map.
New map.
No like.
Hey new!

#20 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 22 March 2022 - 04:46 PM

I played a round on it a bit ago. It's okay. Pretty much a bowl effect with the brawling taking place down low and the snipers hanging up above. So, in essence, pretty standard fare for this game and several other maps with the same basis of design.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users