Mwo May Features Update! Updated!

94 replies to this topic

#41 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 23 April 2022 - 10:24 AM

View PostLionheart2012, on 22 April 2022 - 04:07 PM, said:

<<< snip >>>

I also had the following suggestion for speed tweak.

<<< image from https://i.imgur.com/GawVYGq.jpg >>>

This would align it more with the way that speed tweak becomes more available in the current tree. And I don't think anyone would suggest that speed tweak is an overpowered node, unless there are plans to scale the amount of speed tweak with the size of the mech (bigger/slower mech = more speed tweak), similar to how armor and structure are inversely scaled with the size of the mech (bigger, better armored mech = smaller bonus).

If anything, you are making it into being thought of as an OverPowered Node Set with your idea, and that will get some pushback from me for several reasons. In example...
  • An increase to the Maximum Speed is not something that deals with the Brakes on a moving object. This is only affected by how much Acceleration which one can keep on it. That makes the Speed Tweak Nodes best placed only as a connected function of Kinetic Burst in the Mobility section.
  • Connected to the above item, splitting the Speed Tweak across two sections will only confuse players who are trying to learn the Skill Trees in order to use them. That is really not a good practice, and would only drive players away due to how it takes away from being both fun and easy to understand.
  • The overall price of Speed Tweak is increased in your image by forcing people to get Hard Brake along with it. Put simply, anyone can see that 8 (eight) Nodes to acquire full access is more than the 7 (seven) in the current incoming implementation, and that really makes it more painful than it should be. That also steals from acquiring other Nodes along the whole pack of grids, and therefore steals from MWO's overall fun. One can generally consider that bad practice when trying to increase fun in a game.
...and there is more which could be gone into on this subject, but I do not want to stretch this post to "Timbuktu" (metaphorically speaking) and feel it is best to avoid causing an overly long scroll here. At the moment however, I think what I've listed is enough to point out why your image's suggestion on changing the Speed Tweak Nodes would not work well. :(

Frankly, if anyone wants to put a different barrier on Speed Tweak's Nodes in this area, and somebody somehow still agrees that it should be also accessible through Hard Brake too, then there is a better option. The bundle of Speed Tweak Nodes could be all grouped up into one set together, and then externally linked underneath Kinetic Burst and Hard Brake such that one would have to purchase a combination of 4 (four) of the Kinetic Burst and/or Hard Brake in total to gain access to the separate Speed Tweak Nodes clustered down below. Yes this does decrease the number of needed Skill Nodes required for full access, but it also converts it into the hard barrier that some people seem to be bent on thinking is the only satisfactory way to do it, and yet still equally manages to avoid pushing it away from being considerable as something fun to players in general. :o

Right now, I will personally be happy just to start out with what PGI & The Cauldron is already working on. But, a certainty exists that if the "Quality Of Life" improves for everyone, like making Speed Tweak more accessible and widespread, then there is a very high chance of the game being more enjoyable through Time To Kill being a little bit longer on both sides of the fence. Everyone wants to be mobile enough to survive, right? :)

~D. V. "one who gets splitting Speed Tweak Nodes under the upcoming system can only cause problems" Devnull

#42 Xaius

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 03:19 PM

Someone made a concept for a compact skilltrees that I really liked. (probably the cauldron)

They still balanced powerful nodes by locking them behind simple ones, but they readjusted it so that you wouldn't ever need to completely waste skillpoints.

My favorite part was how they split up mobility into two parts: engine vs brawling nodes i think.

#43 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 April 2022 - 03:45 PM

View PostXaius, on 23 April 2022 - 03:19 PM, said:

Someone made a concept for a compact skilltrees that I really liked. (probably the cauldron)

They still balanced powerful nodes by locking them behind simple ones, but they readjusted it so that you wouldn't ever need to completely waste skillpoints.

My favorite part was how they split up mobility into two parts: engine vs brawling nodes i think.

We've made a simplified concept. But it required way more work on the back end for PGI to implement it.
I think I've shown the concept to a few people, so you might have seen it from them.

The revamped tree that is being released in May is a nice realistic approach. Covers all the set goals.

#44 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 23 April 2022 - 04:53 PM

Nice work Matt and team! I like these changes.

#45 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 April 2022 - 06:44 PM

Looks pretty solid..

I just wonder how many mechs are going to be needing to be toned down a bit as min/maxing will be a bit easier.

that said i think some nodes could use a buff. For instance the Cockpit shake node, it helps a bit but what would make the node great would be if it also deduced cockpit flash.

That said have you changed the value on any of the other quirks or are some just basically not going to be used?

#46 Kano111

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 April 2022 - 07:24 PM

Looking forward to not having to waste nodes on things like Laser Duration/Missile Rack or MAg Capacity to get the Cooldown/Geatgen nodes on a PPC boat build etc

#47 Drake67

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEnterprise MS

Posted 23 April 2022 - 08:37 PM

View PostHorseman, on 23 April 2022 - 09:36 AM, said:

From what I understand, that's what's going to happen...

Not what I thought from what I heard. Say you purchased 10 of cool down but skipped 6 it will only populate to 5.

#48 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 24 April 2022 - 04:29 AM

View PostDrake67, on 23 April 2022 - 08:37 PM, said:

Not what I thought from what I heard. Say you purchased 10 of cool down but skipped 6 it will only populate to 5.

it will leave the exact nodes in, and the mech will be playable.
as soon as you try to modify the skill tree though, it'll turn invalid

#49 Odin Gunterson

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLa Florida

Posted 24 April 2022 - 08:18 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 22 April 2022 - 10:11 AM, said:

RADAR DEPRAVATION COLOR CHANGE FROM "AMS GREEN" to "SEISMIC RED"

Harf, harf, harf, noboty pointet at that rAdAr dEpRaVaTiOn! We are all soo depraved! XD

#50 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 April 2022 - 02:50 PM

View PostDrake67, on 23 April 2022 - 08:37 PM, said:

As ghost said:

it will leave the exact nodes in, and the mech will be playable.
as soon as you try to modify the skill tree though, it'll turn invalid

You will need to spend some skill points to optimize and change your trees when you decide to change them... but who knows... PGI might bundle in some GSP along with the patch (Matt is the guy to ask), and if not, the reduce costs of nodes will make it easier.

Edited by Navid A1, 24 April 2022 - 02:50 PM.

#51 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 April 2022 - 02:56 PM

I don't know if this was answered, will we both have the nodes active now, and the nodes we've activated before and deactivated (and thus won't have the repurchase them again since re-activation is free now)?

#52 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 April 2022 - 03:07 PM

View PostNightbird, on 24 April 2022 - 02:56 PM, said:

I don't know if this was answered, will we both have the nodes active now, and the nodes we've activated before and deactivated (and thus won't have the repurchase them again since re-activation is free now)?

Yes.
I think it was mentioned before. Every node you unlocked before (even if not selected now) is yours and unlocked to select for free after the new tree.

#53 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 25 April 2022 - 06:13 AM

One of the bigger QoL improvements in recent history. If you made Override a preference (so we could set it off by default) ... I'd be ecstatic.

#54 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 06:28 AM

These are some nice changes. Now, I got a small wish for improvement while they are working on the UI. I would like to be able to see the amount of experience the mech have in the mouse over screen. This as I realised that you had to "select mech", pick a mech and then back out one step for the experience of the current selected mech show up, then repeat to see other mechs and each step involves some load delay as the selected mech needs to load. With the need for experience for new skill nodes so is it interesting to see what mechs lack experience and need to be played.

#55 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:08 AM

I'm liking this. Excellent work, Devs! Especially the part about the mech just working with the skill tree you have on patch day. Spending future points to unlock better options is going to be a grind for some folks, but you're not taking away anything they have like the big change was from "Master 3 Mechs" to the current system. I look forward to the new mix of options we're going to have.

As an aside, I'm wondering how many folks will dislike it just because its a change. Those threads in General Discussion are coming. Posted Image

#56 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:41 AM

Would it be possible to have the ammo quirk show up for weapons you have installed instead of all the weapons or at least highlight the installed ones or grey out the not installed ones.

Anything to seperate the quirks better.

#57 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 April 2022 - 11:56 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 25 April 2022 - 09:41 AM, said:

Would it be possible to have the ammo quirk show up for weapons you have installed instead of all the weapons or at least highlight the installed ones or grey out the not installed ones.

Anything to seperate the quirks better.

I hope for the same. There's WAY too many ammo quirks to show all of them at once. Alternatively maybe a setting toggle to only display quirks that affect the present build (eg, hide or grey out PPC quirks if no PPCs equipped)?

#58 Clay Endfield

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 12:18 PM

So how is event que going to function? Is it a lobby where challenge progress can made on events, excluding standard lobbies from qualifying (as in, you go to event que to complete events; all "progress" outside of event que doesn't contribute to challenge progress) or is it a special gamemode lobby, where the community can do silly things like urbie derbies, 100 ton fatties only, only energy weapons/only ballistics/only missiles?

Cause if it's a special lobby for goofy matches, I'm all about that.

#59 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 02:47 PM

You should make radar derp purple.
Purple is the color of stealth and subterfuge.

A red font for radar derp makes it appear to be a negative.

#60 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 25 April 2022 - 03:15 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 25 April 2022 - 02:47 PM, said:

<<< snip >>>

A red font for radar derp makes it appear to be a negative.

Eh... What about the fact that Negative Quirks were removed from MWO entirely? :o

Also, that leaves the "Red" color choice of "Seismic Sensor" to question, and the associated display pings in the Minimap during combat. Are you therefore suggesting that the "Red" color choice of "Seismic Sensor" means that such a thing is a negative too? :blink:

Which brings me to a last question... Are you trying to prevent everything in the game from having the use of the "Red" color choice in any way/shape/form even if it could be considered positive & helpful to people? :(

~D. V. "really does not get why 'feeWAIVER' wants MWO to not have the "Red" color choice" Devnull

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users