Z Painted Mechs

84 replies to this topic

#1 lammaer

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 01:38 PM

Is it just me, or really plenty of people in the game who started to put single Z letters on their mechs (sometimes even accompanied with the five pointed red star), what somehow disturbs me as I think it is supporting the war what happens in ukraine?

There is no day when I don't see such mechs ingame....

Or is there any mechwarrior symbolism like that what I'm not aware of?

#2 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:28 PM

Perhaps they are Russians who believe in their side of the conflict. Or perhaps they are just people being edgy on the internet.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 02:53 PM

probibly just russian players being patriotic.

actually i think the purpose of the z painted on russian vehicles is so that russia could tell who's who. as ukraine employed a lot of the same cold war era vehicles. very low tech iff gear (their night vision gear is a paper towel tube and a road flare). i wouldn't play into it too much.

i actually feel sorry for the russian soldier. they get a letter from uncle boris, get told they got to go into a war with poorly serviced cold war surplus on short notice with little or no preparation, no doubt using the same tactics that served the ussr well in the eastern front of ww2. that is throwing meat at the enemy until they fold. and we may be sending a-10s so they are also going to have to deal with brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt on top of all that. fight the good fight, whatever side you're on.

hate the war not the soldier.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 July 2022 - 03:12 PM.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 July 2022 - 03:25 PM

From what I can tell, the original purpose was just to tell military units apart from one another, but later on it started being used by civilians as a symbol of pro-war support.

#5 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 03:34 PM

View Postlammaer, on 23 July 2022 - 01:38 PM, said:

Is it just me, or really plenty of people in the game who started to put single Z letters on their mechs (sometimes even accompanied with the five pointed red star), what somehow disturbs me as I think it is supporting the war what happens in ukraine?

There is no day when I don't see such mechs ingame....

Or is there any mechwarrior symbolism like that what I'm not aware of?

Its just a couple pixels on the monitor no need to make a big tragedy.

#6 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 04:22 PM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 23 July 2022 - 03:34 PM, said:

Its just a couple pixels on the monitor no need to make a big tragedy.

otoh you could argue that (probably) mature people CAN leave politics OUTSIDE of a game, to not provoke 'reactions'.

now, if somebody were to go, poke the beehive and compare the Z to a 3rdreich-germany-SS-rune.. is that also just pixels on a monitor and no tragedy? let's just not go there and act mature, ffs.

TL:DR - leave politics out, chill and be excellent to each other (go Bill&Ted!) in a game
-if you can't in the real world (here's the real tragedy).

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 23 July 2022 - 04:22 PM.

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 04:30 PM

mature people should be able to discuss politics in fair and open debate without starting a riot. unfortunately people are no longer very mature. everyone treating everyone like children probibly doesn't help much.

#8 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 04:36 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 July 2022 - 04:30 PM, said:

mature people should be able to discuss politics in fair and open debate without starting a riot. unfortunately people are no longer very mature. everyone treating everyone like children probibly doesn't help much.

you're right on all accounts.
still, this is a game. many of us come here to 'escape' reality a bit. to have fun. not to discuss.
not to be greeted by ***** who like to troll others with a Z, or a SS, or something else rather tasteless.

it's not hard to keep THAT outside of games, and bring it to discussions with friends, coworkers, townhalls etc.

#9 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 04:45 PM

You can just do the Z crossed out with a red X to counter it. Doesn't matter.

#10 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:07 PM

two guys with Z painted mechs decided to repeatedly circle me at spawn to block me from moving forwards, so I'm going with malicious intent for those two

#11 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:15 PM

I believe Putin is justified in the defense of his border, and I don't support Biden's proxy war.
I'd like to paint one of these Z's on my mechs. Does anyone have a picture of what they should look like?

#12 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:29 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 23 July 2022 - 05:15 PM, said:

I'd like to paint one of these Z's on my mechs. Does anyone have a picture of what they should look like?

www.google.com is a very helpful resource!

#13 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:48 PM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 23 July 2022 - 05:07 PM, said:

two guys with Z painted mechs decided to repeatedly circle me at spawn to block me from moving forwards, so I'm going with malicious intent for those two

It has been my experience that Russian players are some of the saltiest, trolliest players out there... Or at least, of the vocal ones.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 05:49 PM

as far as im concerned the us involvement in this war is just so a bunch of elected officials can level up their raytheon stonks. this isnt our war.

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 July 2022 - 06:21 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 July 2022 - 05:49 PM, said:

as far as im concerned the us involvement in this war is just so a bunch of elected officials can level up their raytheon stonks. this isnt our war.

The war is disrupting food supplies on three continents, Ukraine is a major grain exporter. It's not Ukraine itself that is the major concern, it's all the areas that are being affected; it's cascading into areas where the nation has major interests. As for US involvement, we're providing arms, intel support, money, and sanctioning Russia. No boots on the ground, no gear with our flag or IFF broadcasting from it. And Putin has painted himself into a corner on this one, the Russian people have been told fish stories, and if Putin doesn't deliver he looks weak. Russians are damned paranoid about perceived weakness, their political and social climate is not friendly to non-hierarchical structures. And the Ukrainians are fighting tooth and nail, Russian losses have been obscenely high; not good for a war where you told your people that you'd roll over the opposition and be welcomed.

Anyway, this forum isn't exactly the right place for politics. The topic has already been covered about as well as the venue requires. For those that wish more info, there's always Google. I'd suggest sticking to respected news sources, places like the BBC or NPR. I've found the BBC is useful for getting a non-American perspective, and NPR tends to dig deeper and beat around the bush less than major networks (CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, etc.). I've heard that Al-Jazeera is also good for getting non-American perspectives as well, but I'll admit to not following them in any significant way, so I can't particularly vouch for them.

Edited by Escef, 23 July 2022 - 07:30 PM.

#16 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:04 PM

Probably Russians doing Russian things.. Or Indians they seem to be backing Russia for some crazy odd reason.. Makes very little sense there.

#17 Znozoic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 133 posts
  • Locationin the *** of the world, literally (argentina)

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:33 PM

sorry, is my nick name, Znozoic, and put a big Z in the back, but not for russia, is becouse is my nick :( i have the same problem than you....

#18 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 July 2022 - 04:26 AM

I am really tired of people believing they get to say what is right or wrong to say, do or think. I hate war but all this censorship in defence of democracy is starting to get me really flared up. Can't you just respect other people's opinions and views on issues that are far from black or white?

#19 hbgpanther

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 05:10 AM

The players who were disrupting someone from leaving spawn I would consider a problem. Otherwise the Z business is best ignored and any wider political subject from it will not be getting far in MWO.

#20 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 06:47 AM

These are likely people currently funding a genocidal war to restore imperial dominance over independent nations.

Absolutely no hard feelings if people happen to make flagrant fascists a priority target in online games.

Edited by Gagis, 24 July 2022 - 06:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users