September 2X Free Mechs Event!

75 replies to this topic

#61 Agro

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 10:37 PM

Anyone who complains that the event is too complicated should see what a similar event looks like in the World of Tanks. Where you only have a week and the average player needs to play 50 (!) battles a day to close the event. That's where the grind is. And if you can’t cope with the MWO event, then I have only one piece of advice for you: improve your game skill ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Agro, 13 September 2022 - 10:37 PM.

#62 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 September 2022 - 12:48 AM

I've always gave feedback to MWO that 20,000 match points is about the limit for casual players to grind for 30 days.

@300 match points per game ==> 100 games (3-4 games per day)

@200 match points per game ==> 100 games (6-7 games per day), which is not so casual anymore (2 hours?)

@100 match points per game ==> forget it

- - - - - - - - - -
(Context: Last year 2021 MWO had an event for 40,000 match points, which I've complained on behalf of casual players that it is not doable for some, even in 30 days, if they average 100-200 games per day. Glad MWO listened; the max this year 2022 is 20,000 match points in 30 days).

#63 Adarven

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 70 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 14 September 2022 - 04:02 AM

I think its quite doable. The goal is to farm MS - so you need high dmg. So for the event prefer missiles/dakka, forget sniping. Prefer heavy/assault mechs. If you are good player, take whatever suits you (eg snubs Urbie). I have work, family, sports and I am able to play only evening/late evening. I finished the event yesterday, but my matchscore was often above 500 (800 max).

#64 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 06:22 AM

View PostAgro, on 13 September 2022 - 10:37 PM, said:

And if you can’t cope with the MWO event, then I have only one piece of advice for you: improve your game skill ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Git gud, scrubz... Posted Image

#65 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 06:37 AM

View Postw0qj, on 14 September 2022 - 12:48 AM, said:

I've always gave feedback to MWO that 20,000 match points is about the limit for casual players to grind for 30 days.

@200 match points per game ==> 100 games (6-7 games per day), which is not so casual anymore (2 hours?)

- - - - - - - - - -
(Context: Last year 2021 MWO had an event for 40,000 match points, which I've complained on behalf of casual players that it is not doable for some, even in 30 days, if they average 100-200 games per day. Glad MWO listened; the max this year 2022 is 20,000 match points in 30 days).

You should always have a mech that exists solely to do damage - whether it's for events or just for farming when you need credits quickly. You're unlikely to do that with a Flea.

While it was boring to spend most of the time in my Nightstar, on average I was adding at least 500 match points per game that we won. To complete the event took 3 days of slightly more play than normal, but I could have finished it in under a week without an effort IF I avoided Lights, Mediums and underperforming mechs.

I have to do the exact same thing when I'm trying too skill up mechs - play with the starter mech for a game and watch my PSR drop, hop into one of my half-dozen reliable mechs and get the green arrow, rinse and repeat.

And this is just to hold Tier 4...

#66 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 09:13 AM

I'm glad to be able to get two free mechs, and the GSP for sure!

20K is right on the edge of reasonable, but it is still reasonable for most players.

AMS should still count for PSR and C-Bills and XP, etc. I know it's kind of idiot proof, but teams get so much benefit from multiple AMS being carried that it should be fully rewarded, I think. The game already struggles when it comes to rewarding team play and objectives, and taking anything away from AMS rewards didn't help. I know for a fact it reduced the number of AMS systems out there and therefore reduced team play in favor of individual benefits. Its not huge, but was a minor step in the wrong direction, I'm afraid.

The match score for rewards idea I do like as it allows more gameplay options. Maybe not every single month done the same way, I did like that last time I saw specific goals like "Get one Solo Kill" and that sort of thing. But if I need to chose between match score farming or damage farming I'll take the match score.

Posted Image

Edited by An6ryMan69, 14 September 2022 - 09:20 AM.

#67 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 15 September 2022 - 10:28 AM

Honestly, whether you think it is too much or not, just play. Play and collect rewards and don't worry too much about getting the 2 free mechs. Have fun along the path and if you get some free mech that is awesome and if not enjoy the other stuff like C-bills.

#68 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:47 PM

View PostKodan Black, on 15 September 2022 - 10:28 AM, said:

Honestly, whether you think it is too much or not, just play. Play and collect rewards and don't worry too much about getting the 2 free mechs. Have fun along the path and if you get some free mech that is awesome and if not enjoy the other stuff like C-bills.

20K is a bit... but it only takes a handful of non-potato matches to get there fairly quickly.

That said, the Orion is a about as exciting as one would expect an IS AC20/SRM6 brawler build to be. At least the summoner is an omni and you can do whatever you want it if you're happy to skip the SO8 bonuses.

#69 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 04:28 PM

you------ i build like 2 summoners 10 years back, and i hated it, --- in netmech 2 it did ok , so i found the darn guy would take way too much damage, and lose weapons, so WHAT MAKES IT GOOD NOW ????

SAWK CLANNER

#70 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 09:12 PM

View PostSawk, on 17 September 2022 - 04:28 PM, said:

you------ i build like 2 summoners 10 years back, and i hated it, --- in netmech 2 it did ok , so i found the darn guy would take way too much damage, and lose weapons, so WHAT MAKES IT GOOD NOW ???? SAWK CLANNER

It's an omnimech. The 3 x ERPPC was meta a while back and very rarely seen now, but there's still lots of builds that can be done with it and the pods are heavily quirked even without the SO8. I turned my B into a 2 x UAC10 build with F and C pods for the quirks. Works fine.

3 x ATM9 is a thing, 3 x ERPPC is still viable, 5 x SRM6 is likely the build that got it the placing in Solaris, and with a bit of mix and matching you can replicate most other heavy builds on the clan side. If you can't find something you like, the problem isn't the chassis.

#71 Areno

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 07:20 AM

For 20k match score we need more time!

Why don't you just give us the mechs after a game and let's earn the rest?
What's the point of this grind?

#72 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 September 2022 - 04:16 PM

hmm guess its more about defence, twisting and all, that was back in the days when every one wanted me dead, LOL.

i still think the EBON JAG would make the top 5, and we really need more folks to build TIMBERWOLFS-- its the one true master of all, with omni pods --- : )

SAWK CLANNER

#73 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 03:35 AM

View PostSawk, on 17 September 2022 - 04:28 PM, said:

you------ i build like 2 summoners 10 years back, and i hated it, --- in netmech 2 it did ok , so i found the darn guy would take way too much damage, and lose weapons, so WHAT MAKES IT GOOD NOW ????

SAWK CLANNER

The Thor has better movement stats in comparison with the Mad Cat.

#74 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:03 AM

View PostRonbo, on 08 September 2022 - 08:37 PM, said:

whats the preferred build for this Orion VA for solaris? SRMs and AC20?

This I guess :

View PostXenoWraith, on 10 September 2022 - 12:28 PM, said:

Probably SRM6s and an UAC 20. Lot of punching potential.

More or less the same like the Orion IIC A variant which is simply AWESOME!!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

View PostDuke Falcon, on 09 September 2022 - 12:38 AM, said:

Matchscores again. Grinding in QP... It means I need to play every single day what is BAD... I not play more than 1-3 matches per day and play 3-4 days per week.
I would not be able to seize these two because the necessary amount of GRINDING...
Need to dust Lurmers again because GRINDING (and QP would full of them again) what means FARMING...
Previous events with variable goals were so much more fun. I am not against free mechs but a bit more variety may not hurt that much...

Sounds like you should spend your MWO time to relax and avoid not taking enough time to simply empty your mind from work and everyday live Posted Image

Also :

LURM is not the easiest way to farm matchscore IMHO compared to DAKKA damage Posted Image

View PostDionnsai, on 09 September 2022 - 10:21 AM, said:

Matchscore is low hanging fruit. Anyone can get it by doing any number of easy things, even popping a UAV...

If people only did that a lot more each game... Posted Image

However, I did see some improvement the other day so maybe times are changing ?!

Let's have some hard-core interesting challenges. Solo kills, headshots, 4, 5 or 6 kills in a single match. Single match damage targets.

Headshots are annoying in this game...

Most of the time I just grab a fast Light mech and charge to the spawn point of the other team and hope for the best! Posted Image

Solo Kills are the better choice IMHO just like Kills in a Single Match but getting 6 of them is also a matter of being lucky enough to have a good team around you so... dunno... maybe just 3 of them or so ?!

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 09 September 2022 - 12:41 PM, said:

I don't minf the 20,000 match score level, you get a lot of cBills and GSP on the way. Plus this might be a gimmick to increase play hours by the population... then again, I've thought that all along. Posted Image

Regardless, thanks in advance for two free mechs!

+1 Posted Image

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 09 September 2022 - 01:41 PM, said:

Match score is too hard. Couldn't we just do an event based off lurm and micro pulse damage?

Flamers and Machine Guns for me!!! Posted Image

View Postambosen, on 10 September 2022 - 07:11 PM, said:

Kind of funny both mechs are ones I didn't see anyone running during the matches I played once during the entire length of the event.

Played only 2 or 3 times by now for a short period and seen at least one of them a couple of times! Posted Image

View Postw0qj, on 11 September 2022 - 05:59 PM, said:

Did you get your reward yet?

1. If you redeem your Event rewards from mwomercs.com webpage, it can take up to 30 minutes to get it, and you might even need to log out / log in for your MWO game client (program) to trigger reward injection!
https://mwomercs.com/events/465

2. Better method and more consistent, for your infomation:
Next time while inside your MWO game client mechlab, press the "E" on the bottom of the screen, and select [Active_Events],
go to your Event with rewards, press [Redeem].

You almost get instantaneous reward injection using above (2) method!

The above ^^^^ should be written as a special note or warning at the end of each Event News Article of the MWO website!

I see people having issues with redeeming stuff soooo many times !!!

PLEASE ?! PRETTY PLEASE @ P.G.I. ??!?!?!

View PostMark Yore, on 11 September 2022 - 11:38 PM, said:

And that's done.

Finished the last game with my Nightstar 10-P doing 1,347 points of damage and running out of ammo... Posted Image

Now back to skilling up the other mechs.

MWAHAHAHA!!! NICE!!! Posted ImagePosted Image

I am proud of you as a fellow DAKKA ADDICT !!! Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostKodan Black, on 12 September 2022 - 05:26 AM, said:

One thing this game really misses out on is the value in helping others.

100% AGREE!!! Posted Image

Had plenty of games last night where 3 of us grouped made the difference over and over again in our Shards. We capped out the enemy even though we were down in mechs. We pressured and eliminated snipers so our team could advance without taking damage. Having an AMS is a benefit to the team -- often I grab a Kit Fox when playing in a group because of the benefit. It should be encouraged to help out your team as far too often you see play more suited to individual combat and not team dynamics.

I think I have seen you guys play one or two rounds! gg Posted Image

View Postmartian, on 11 September 2022 - 12:02 AM, said:

I do not think so. You equipp one in the Mechlab and that is all. You do not have to touch it for the rest of the game. Your (L)AMS works automatically.

There is no "piloting or gunnery skill" element, so it makes sense that it no longer counts towards the Pilot Skill Rating.

View Postmartian, on 12 September 2022 - 08:41 AM, said:

Encouraging the team gameplay? No problem.

Thinking that (L)AMS that requires zero piloting skill to use and zero player's skill to hit enemy missiles should boost one's Pilot Skill Rating? Well, no.

Looking around you and assisting your team with AMS/ECM/etc. is a legit skill thing IMHO and I often see people disappear on their own waaay to far from their team with at least one of those! Posted Image

View PostDing Toast is Ready, on 12 September 2022 - 10:27 AM, said:

I don't know what environment these mechs were relevant in but it sure wasn't the one I've been trying to play them in. At least I can just turn the Summoner into a poptart. Orion's going to be a hangar queen.

View PostNomad Tech, on 13 September 2022 - 07:19 AM, said:

I personally do not feel excited over either of those mechs enough to fight through 20k match score.. I'm gonna give this month a miss myself..

Both imo are pretty lackluster mechs in Quickplay at least.

I would say it would be a good idea to reconsider that plan! Posted Image

View PostKodan Black, on 12 September 2022 - 12:43 PM, said:

No, but then again the current (and to be fair the prior where AMS got you MS) PSR calculation is ... bad. I have so many hilarious screenshots of matches where I got a down arrow despite multiple kills, etc.

#metoo! Posted Image Posted Image

View PostRoger HAMMOND, on 13 September 2022 - 01:53 AM, said:

Just bring a missile boat instead of AMSboats ;-P

But don't LURM please! Posted Image

View Postw0qj, on 14 September 2022 - 12:48 AM, said:

- - - - - - - - - -

I you can't do 200+ Match Score and play more than 6 to 7 games per day and those take you 2 hours then there is something seriously wrong with multiple things :
- The amount of spare time you have to do something fun.
- The amount of people online when you are playing MWO in your geographical area/time zone.
- The mech you pick each time to enter the Quick Play Queue and/or it's Loadout.
- Your MWO skills need some serious improvement...

Posted Image

View PostAdarven, on 14 September 2022 - 04:02 AM, said:

I think its quite doable. The goal is to farm MS - so you need high dmg.

So for the event prefer missiles/dakka, forget sniping.

You should always forget camping! Posted ImagePosted Image

Prefer heavy/assault mechs.

Some Mediums are simply a beast!

Even some Lights Posted Image

I finished the event yesterday, but my matchscore was often above 500 (800 max).

Damage or Match Score ?! Posted Image

View PostMark Yore, on 14 September 2022 - 06:37 AM, said:

You should always have a mech that exists solely to do damage - whether it's for events or just for farming when you need credits quickly. You're unlikely to do that with a Flea.

The Incubus we got for FREE is a BEAST !!!

Did 800+ to 900+ damage with it multiple times! Posted ImagePosted Image

While it was boring to spend most of the time in my Nightstar, on average I was adding at least 500 match points per game that we won. To complete the event took 3 days of slightly more play than normal, but I could have finished it in under a week without an effort IF I avoided Lights, Mediums and underperforming mechs.

The right mech can do a silly amount of damage and when you are also in the right team the carnage just multiplies! Posted Image

I have to do the exact same thing when I'm trying too skill up mechs - play with the starter mech for a game and watch my PSR drop, hop into one of my half-dozen reliable mechs and get the green arrow, rinse and repeat.

And this is just to hold Tier 4...

Hehehehe! Sounds very familiar! Posted Image

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 14 September 2022 - 09:13 AM, said:

I'm glad to be able to get two free mechs, and the GSP for sure!

20K is right on the edge of reasonable, but it is still reasonable for most players.

I think they lowered it from 25K to 20K already ?!

Both should be doable for a reasonably good MWO player Posted Image

AMS should still count for PSR and C-Bills and XP, etc. I know it's kind of idiot proof, but teams get so much benefit from multiple AMS being carried that it should be fully rewarded, I think. The game already struggles when it comes to rewarding team play and objectives, and taking anything away from AMS rewards didn't help.

I know for a fact it reduced the number of AMS systems out there and therefore reduced team play in favor of individual benefits. Its not huge, but was a minor step in the wrong direction, I'm afraid.

+1 Posted Image

View PostLockheed_, on 14 September 2022 - 11:42 AM, said:

Matchscore and PSR is not a reward.
It's to determine your Pilot Skill Rating so you get matched against equally skilled players, have a fair match and a good time instead of just getting farmed.

However...

It doesn't work that well at all currently and the way PSR is calculated is just crap... Posted Image

AMS requires zero skill.

Disagree!

I have seen plenty of players using it for just themselves instead of their team too! Posted Image

Rewarding AMS with C-bills or XP is a totally different story though.

Sincearly hope at least that part is working at the moment...?!

#75 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 14 October 2022 - 09:40 AM

The October Loot Bag Event with free Vulcan, one of the best medium mechs, especially with...cough...snub nose PPC... ;)

https://mwomercs.com/events/469
https://mwomercs.com/events/470
https://mwomercs.com/trickortreat

#76 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 10:07 AM

View Postw0qj, on 14 October 2022 - 09:40 AM, said:

The October Loot Bag Event with free Vulcan, one of the best medium mechs, especially with...cough...snub nose PPC... Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com/events/469
https://mwomercs.com/events/470
https://mwomercs.com/trickortreat

There is already the existing official thread for discussing the current "Trick or Treat 2022" event.

You can find it here: Trick Or Treat 2022

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users