Why Is There No Battletech Movies?!

141 replies to this topic

#121 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 25 October 2022 - 02:07 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 11 October 2022 - 01:12 PM, said:

Have you seen what netflix and hbo are doing to long established stories? Race swapping just for the sake of race swapping even when that race swapping makes zero sense. That new rangs of power is the perfect example. I don't care that multiple races are used in a show but it has to at least make sense. Now the hobbits who were a tiny seclusive very homogenous race that didn't trust outsiders are now somehow every color in the rainbow because of muh diversity?

You complain about RoP? Heck, watch The Wheel of Time what they did to the book material.

#122 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,012 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:08 AM

#123 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 05:30 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 25 October 2022 - 02:07 AM, said:

You complain about RoP? Heck, watch The Wheel of Time what they did to the book material.

Wheel of Time was a disgrace.
That's largely why I went into Rings of Power with low expectations, and was blown away by it.

View PostOrion_, on 22 October 2022 - 01:18 AM, said:

I spent a lot of the recent Dune movie thinking it could easily be a Battletech movie if it just had a handful of mechs. It would be cool to see but mechs haven't been overwhelmingly popular recently. Even Pacific Rim was hardly a massive block buster and that was one of the best/only big robot movies other than Transformers I can think of in a while.

The mechs should be a backdrop, not the main feature.
The main feature should be a political drama, Game of Thrones style.

#124 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 October 2022 - 12:05 PM

The main feature should be a political drama, Game of Thrones style.

Everyone ***\raps everyone while there is a constant, funny slaughter? Sounds like a Clan-based movie...

It turned out so good that about the half of the first episode I quit and seriously wanted to slaughter... Yeah, that bad! Mayhaps if we never ever read any books (Ouch, what a grim wurld) such "adaptations" would be less painfull. Would not wonder if WoT would be parodised or cited in the next Rick&Morty season...

#125 Delete Dragon

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 07:18 PM

OP, have you not seen Robot Jocks?

(please don't ban me, Bro!)

Seriously, Macros has several...

(seriously, please don't ban me!)

#126 Delete Dragon

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

View PostOrion_, on 22 October 2022 - 01:18 AM, said:

I spent a lot of the recent Dune movie thinking it could easily be a Battletech movie if it just had a handful of mechs. It would be cool to see but mechs haven't been overwhelmingly popular recently. Even Pacific Rim was hardly a massive block buster and that was one of the best/only big robot movies other than Transformers I can think of in a while.

Pacific Rim is one of the best movies ever made, period. Full Stop.

The sequel was not bad either.

The recent Godzilla movie with Mechagodzilla was very interesting.

#127 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 30 October 2022 - 01:24 AM

View PostDelete Dragon, on 29 October 2022 - 07:18 PM, said:

OP, have you not seen Robot Jocks?

(please don't ban me, Bro!)

Seriously, Macros has several...

(seriously, please don't ban me!)

I know and familiar all of these. But those not BattleTech (well, Macross basicly is BT's dad\mom\****** step-whatever). I want to see once large, fearsome omnis steamrolling puny davion forces on movie screen! Or whatever other factions hit davions where they deserved it: Right in yer filthy balls!
Big, stompy mechs everywhere! Better than all DC movies together!

#128 Spetulhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 12:13 PM

View Postmartian, on 11 October 2022 - 12:50 AM, said:

Approximately 20 years ago one Hollywood producer licensed BattleTech movie rights.

However, nothing has ever come to fruition. I guess that those rights have eventually reverted to their owner.

Movie rights are a nightmare for small companies. Studios usually pay only a small amount for the option to buy the movie rights in the future - seldom less than three years. If they go ahead they'll buy the full rights, possibly minus the option fee already paid. All of this is time during which you can't sell the rights to someone else without risking a big money lawsuit which you will be responsible for. Fans often wonder why Games Workshop stuff isn't made into movies and the answer is the same. The stock holders aren't comfortable optioning off the rights to someone who might never do anything with it.

No, a small IP like BattleTech/MechWarrior isn't able to negotiate with big studios. It's take it or leave it.

#129 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 30 October 2022 - 12:32 PM

View PostSpetulhu, on 30 October 2022 - 12:13 PM, said:

Movie rights are a nightmare for small companies. Studios usually pay only a small amount for the option to buy the movie rights in the future - seldom less than three years. If they go ahead they'll buy the full rights, possibly minus the option fee already paid. All of this is time during which you can't sell the rights to someone else without risking a big money lawsuit which you will be responsible for. Fans often wonder why Games Workshop stuff isn't made into movies and the answer is the same. The stock holders aren't comfortable optioning off the rights to someone who might never do anything with it.

No, a small IP like BattleTech/MechWarrior isn't able to negotiate with big studios. It's take it or leave it.

There is another big problem: BattleTech / MechWarrior rights are split between two (or three or four) big companies.

It is the real Gordian Knot. Posted Image

#130 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 November 2022 - 01:18 AM

View Postmartian, on 30 October 2022 - 12:32 PM, said:

There is another big problem: BattleTech / MechWarrior rights are split between two (or three or four) big companies.

It is the real Gordian Knot. Posted Image

Let them duke it out in a "Highlander-style" "there could be only one" match then give us as many movies as DC sh!ts in our face (literally one by every f**king year)...

#131 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 November 2022 - 10:38 AM

There's a battletech movie

Edited by caravann, 06 November 2022 - 10:40 AM.

#132 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 15 November 2022 - 12:40 AM

View Postcaravann, on 06 November 2022 - 10:38 AM, said:

There's a battletech movie

"For the last time ZAS!!!"
Sorry...

Anyway, fer da last time: I seen Robot Jokes as a child, were fun back those halcyon days. Now I grew up (physically sure, otherwise who grows up really?!) and want real BT movie! Where dozens of big stompa mechas killa-lot while tanks, infantry and other stuffs die effortlessly to stop the rampagin' giant mecha GoGos. A Battle of Tukkayid movie would be kick-*** (even if my heart tears and bleeds because the Falcons could not steamroll the Phone Company...)

#133 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 November 2022 - 06:43 PM

I'm surprised anyone liked Rings of Powah.. If they are going to make a Battletech movie make it a Korean or Chinese company doing it, they have been doing very good movies and shows lately, far superior to western trash...

I'm ending my Netflix in January.

Edited by PocketYoda, 20 November 2022 - 06:43 PM.

#134 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 22 November 2022 - 01:10 PM

Since it were mentioned earlier in this topic I had my look on the Expanse...
Donni and Roci all the way! Glorious bricks of doom :)
Posted Image
My take on the Roci. Not quite accurate but meh! Cool, ja?

#135 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:48 PM

I like how the expanse took a similar ship design philosophy as the homeworld games from Chris Foss.

https://search.brave...eship%20artwork

Edited by Meep Meep, 22 November 2022 - 02:49 PM.

#136 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 November 2022 - 01:14 PM

And here's some Donnager fer ye, girlz & boyz!
Posted Image
I have one more WIP for Donnie but that would be Twitter-exclusive...

Edited by Duke Falcon, 27 November 2022 - 01:14 PM.

#137 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 November 2022 - 06:30 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 27 November 2022 - 01:14 PM, said:

And here's some Donnager fer ye, girlz & boyz!
Posted Image
I have one more WIP for Donnie but that would be Twitter-exclusive...

Please provide Laconian Content

#138 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 30 November 2022 - 09:33 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 30 November 2022 - 06:30 AM, said:

Laconian ships were martian design beefed by alien-tech. Not sure about them in the series visually (not watched all episodes so far thus not know if they reach "that" point). I may try to make some modified martian classes painted blue instead of red\orange but not sure how much would that be "laconian".

#139 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:00 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 30 November 2022 - 06:30 AM, said:

It seems laconian ships not yet presented (at the end of S6). Just a "ring builder" shipyard happily build some warship... So for me it seems laconian ships would be martian ships with - no better way to describe - zerg infestation on their hull...

Quite a nightmare to create one such ship. Moreso if I have absolutely no clue how they imagined their hull setups like weapons, engines and such. I not wonder if they took some inspiration from wraith hiveships (those looks a nice mix of organic and artificial parts).

Question is: How badly you may wish some interpretation (non-canon) of laconian ship(s)?

#140 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:55 PM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 04 December 2022 - 01:00 PM, said:

It seems laconian ships not yet presented (at the end of S6). Just a "ring builder" shipyard happily build some warship... So for me it seems laconian ships would be martian ships with - no better way to describe - zerg infestation on their hull...

Quite a nightmare to create one such ship. Moreso if I have absolutely no clue how they imagined their hull setups like weapons, engines and such. I not wonder if they took some inspiration from wraith hiveships (those looks a nice mix of organic and artificial parts).

Question is: How badly you may wish some interpretation (non-canon) of laconian ship(s)?

This is the best fan rendition of a Magnetar i've seen so far.

Edited by pbiggz, 05 December 2022 - 09:56 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users