141 replies to this topic

#81 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 October 2022 - 09:26 PM

Be careful what you wish for.. Every other franchise is being systematically destroyed by woke media.. do you really want Battletech to be added...

If you don't believe me google the super heroes The New Warriors and their team names Snowflake and Safespace... I **** you not that is their names..

Terrifying..

Edited by PocketYoda, 13 October 2022 - 09:28 PM.

#82 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:49 PM

Black elves?! Guys, where do you got these stuffs in a Battletech related topic?!

Anyway, black elves are not uncommon. See celtic and germanic myths (swartalfar, example) where they exists and depicted as evil. The drow were not pulled from nowhere by D&D. Tolkien also had "dark elves" and in the Sylmarillion there were a smith who were described as a black elf (maybe wrong translation, not sure) who were "antisocial" at best. Black elves are exists since the ancient ages and evil. It is not racism because the nations created them not even seen any african black people. No connection between dark skin and evil nature.

Just noted...

#83 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 October 2022 - 12:49 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 13 October 2022 - 10:49 PM, said:

Black elves?! Guys, where do you got these stuffs in a Battletech related topic?!
When people bring up the recent trends towards political correctness and racewashing.

Anyway, black elves are not uncommon. See celtic and germanic myths (swartalfar, example) where they exists and depicted as evil. The drow were not pulled from nowhere by D&D.
Correct. Again, it's a matter of in-universe consistency with prior canon and how the retcon is handled.
In case of Rings of Power, you just have a random black elf and a random black dwarf. It's an obvious attempt at projecting 20th century multicultural/multi-ethnic society into a fantasy setting roughly analogous with our Middle Ages in terms of social and technological development without any background to explain it, which thus creates a plot hole.
Contrast a hypothetical scenario where all Elven characters were cast with Asian actors (perhaps even from a few different ethnic subgroups to delineate the different canonical Elven trives). It would clash with the Jackson movies, but would be internally consistent within the context of the show itself and close enough to descriptions in the source material to work.

Tolkien also had "dark elves" and in the Sylmarillion there were a smith who were described as a black elf (maybe wrong translation, not sure) who were "antisocial" at best.
Tolkien's "Dark Elves" are more properly called "Elves of Darkness" and it has nothing to do with skin color:

Those Elves the Calaquendi call the Úmanyar, since they came never to the land of Aman and the Blessed Realm; but the Úmanyar and the Avari alike they call the Moriquendi, Elves of the Darkness, for they never beheld the Light that was before the Sun and Moon.

Moriquendi ‘Elves of the Darkness’; see Dark Elves.
Dark Elves In the language of Aman all Elves that did not cross the Great Sea were Dark Elves (Moriquendi), and the term is sometimes used thus, when Caranthir called Thingol a Dark Elf it was intended opprobriously, and was especially so, since Thingol had been to Aman ‘and was not accounted among the Moriquendi’. But in the period of the Exile of the Noldor it was often used of the Elves of Middle-earth other than the Noldor and the Sindar, and is then virtually equivalent to Avari. Different again is the title Dark Elf of the Sindarin Elf Eöl, but Turgon no doubt meant that Eöl was of the Moriquendi.

Edited by Horseman, 14 October 2022 - 01:18 AM.

#84 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 October 2022 - 03:45 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 13 October 2022 - 10:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

You seem very concerned over an event that won't happen for at least a few more billion years when the sun goes super red giant and burns the earth into a cinder. Posted Image

#85 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:02 AM

View PostKnownswift, on 11 October 2022 - 12:23 AM, said:

Because no studio wants to deal with this.

Posted Image

Easy fix... George Takei.

#86 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:10 AM

It could work.

Posted Image

#87 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:24 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 14 October 2022 - 04:10 AM, said:

It could work.

Posted Image

He's already in a few video games and movies based on video games. What's one more? He's already been a shogun or two. Would work very well as Coordinator of the Draconis Combine.

#88 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 06:36 AM

View PostHorseman, on 14 October 2022 - 12:49 AM, said:

it's a matter of in-universe consistency with prior canon

Where in the books do they describe all elves as white? I don't remember that, but it has been like 15-20 years.
Why does it matter if they do?

I don't see Takei being that into playing Shiro.

The other alternative is to play up the yellow fever aspect to camp levels, then it becomes parody.

Anyways, they already changed how Shiro looks in the art.

Edited by Knownswift, 14 October 2022 - 06:37 AM.

#89 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 14 October 2022 - 07:02 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 11 October 2022 - 12:37 PM, said:

Can't wait.

Posted Image

Oh no you didn't🤣🤣

#90 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 14 October 2022 - 08:38 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 14 October 2022 - 07:02 AM, said:

Oh no you didn't������������

I understand your pain! Katrina were always a bigger b!tch than that small midget on that picture :P

Now! Someone post a Marik with dark skin and lavender hair! With this Katrina they would be the perfect couple of the multi-culti BT-verse, dancing over the rainbow and such...

Wait, that were sick even from me...

#91 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 October 2022 - 11:10 AM

View PostKnownswift, on 14 October 2022 - 06:36 AM, said:

Where in the books do they describe all elves as white? I don't remember that, but it has been like 15-20 years.
They're described as pale in several places. Might depend on which books you've read, since Middle-Earth is not limited to just LOTR, Hobbit and Silmarillion, there's also a bunch of Tolkien's posthumously published notes.

Why does it matter if they do?
"Why do people familiar with the original source material have an issue when an adaptation makes a significant change?"
Okay, then I'm sure you won't mind when the adaptation of BattleTech adds aliens and makes all the mechs into sentient AI companions powered by LOVE and FRIENDSHIP...

Edited by Horseman, 14 October 2022 - 11:11 AM.

#92 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 11:25 AM

View PostHorseman, on 14 October 2022 - 11:10 AM, said:

They're described as pale in several places. Might depend on which books you've read, since Middle-Earth is not limited to just LOTR, Hobbit and Silmarillion, there's also a bunch of Tolkien's posthumously published notes.

Okay. Can you show me?

"Why do people familiar with the original source material have an issue when an adaptation makes a significant change?"

Why is this a significant change? Literally no impact on the story.

#93 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 October 2022 - 12:44 PM

View PostKnownswift, on 14 October 2022 - 11:25 AM, said:

Why is this a significant change? Literally no impact on the story.

Ok, you got us. At this point your replies can only be viewed as snarky trolling. Posted Image

#94 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 October 2022 - 05:53 PM

View PostPocketYoda, on 13 October 2022 - 09:26 PM, said:

Be careful what you wish for.. Every other franchise is being systematically destroyed by woke media.. do you really want Battletech to be added...

If you don't believe me google the super heroes The New Warriors and their team names Snowflake and Safespace... I **** you not that is their names..

Terrifying..

Local person who is wrong about things is wrong about things again.

#95 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 October 2022 - 10:42 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 14 October 2022 - 05:53 PM, said:

Local person who is wrong about things is wrong about things again.

The entire thing was a stunt to appease their woke staff who were pissed they were not getting any input into character creation.

So the studio held a 'competition' to see what ideas they would come up with.

This is the result and it was immediately mothballed 'due to covid' but all the other projects of the time got greenlighted.

Afaik its still sitting in a cabinet somewhere crying softly to itself in the dark.

#96 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 October 2022 - 11:40 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 14 October 2022 - 10:42 PM, said:

The entire thing was a stunt to appease their woke staff who were pissed they were not getting any input into character creation.

So the studio held a 'competition' to see what ideas they would come up with.

This is the result and it was immediately mothballed 'due to covid' but all the other projects of the time got greenlighted.

Afaik its still sitting in a cabinet somewhere crying softly to itself in the dark.

I don't really care. There's a million bad shows, books, and movies; just don't watch it. I don't know where this whole "every show needs to be for me and if its not i've been robbed" mentality came from.

Making a dwarf black and a woman isn't the latest blow in the nefarious plan to wokify all your childhood memories; it literally has no impact; the only thing they did wrong in that was not give her a beard and if they had I know some of y'all would be here screeching about the trans menace again.

#97 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 October 2022 - 11:56 AM

I'm not screeching about any of it. It never bothered me at all because as you said there are a million bad books and shows and such and this isn't the first time in recent US history that this type of stuff was foisted on the public. It backfired and slunk back into the shadows then and its rapidly doing the same now. Sanity always prevails.

#98 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 October 2022 - 08:38 PM

View Postpattonesque, on 13 October 2022 - 10:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

Really you cannot see how they are systematically destroying past franchises with their trash..

View Postpbiggz, on 15 October 2022 - 11:40 AM, said:

I don't really care. There's a million bad shows, books, and movies; just don't watch it. I don't know where this whole "every show needs to be for me and if its not i've been robbed" mentality came from.

Making a dwarf black and a woman isn't the latest blow in the nefarious plan to wokify all your childhood memories; it literally has no impact; the only thing they did wrong in that was not give her a beard and if they had I know some of y'all would be here screeching about the trans menace again.

Grows up playing Battletech.. Movies finally arrive and its aimed at people who never grew up playing Battletech and grew up playing Twitter instead.. No if you can't see a problem with media you are part of the problem.

Edited by PocketYoda, 15 October 2022 - 08:44 PM.

#99 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 01:02 PM

View PostPocketYoda, on 15 October 2022 - 08:38 PM, said:

Really you cannot see how they are systematically destroying past franchises with their trash..

whoever told you to care about this instead of almost literally anything else thinks you're an easily-duped rube. Are they correct?

#100 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 October 2022 - 12:26 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 12 October 2022 - 05:57 PM, said:

Expanse was mega-baller, A+++++ sci-fi

It was good.

Excellent Sci fi was Firefly and Altered Carbon.. So annoyed they canned those. I liked Killjoys and Dark Matter as well.

Edited by PocketYoda, 17 October 2022 - 12:26 AM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users