141 replies to this topic

#101 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 October 2022 - 02:13 AM

This is probably one of my favorite fight scenes in the expanse.

#102 Starwolfe

• Pip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 17 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOregon State

Posted 17 October 2022 - 10:38 AM

#103 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 02:40 PM

View PostHorseman, on 14 October 2022 - 11:10 AM, said:

They're described as pale in several places. Might depend on which books you've read, since Middle-Earth is not limited to just LOTR, Hobbit and Silmarillion, there's also a bunch of Tolkien's posthumously published notes.
"Why do people familiar with the original source material have an issue when an adaptation makes a significant change?"
Okay, then I'm sure you won't mind when the adaptation of BattleTech adds aliens and makes all the mechs into sentient AI companions powered by LOVE and FRIENDSHIP...
I would pay money to watch love and friendship powered battlemechs. Like low tech Power Rangers. Make 'em anthropomorphic ponies as well. Mecha bronies. In space. This forum would burn itself to the ground and I'm not gonna lie, it would finally clean up the brown sea.

#104 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 October 2022 - 02:46 PM

View Postccrider, on 17 October 2022 - 02:40 PM, said:

I would pay money to watch love and friendship powered battlemechs. Like low tech Power Rangers. Make 'em anthropomorphic ponies as well. Mecha bronies. In space.

But that's not the question. The question is, would it still be Battletech?
And the answer is: it wouldn't.

#105 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 October 2022 - 03:09 PM

View PostHorseman, on 17 October 2022 - 02:46 PM, said:

But that's not the question. The question is, would it still be Battletech?
And the answer is: it wouldn't.

But pooonnnieezz.. Posted Image

Posted Image

#106 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 03:10 PM

View PostHorseman, on 13 October 2022 - 03:25 PM, said:

Because the show doesn't exist in a vacuum - it's playing in someone else's sandbox. In that situation, making a change that either a ) is an inconsistency or b ) has substantial implications to established lore simply isn't something you do without going out of your way to ensure you have a way to get your audience to buy in on the change.

Of course, the showrunners also messed up by deciding they have to focus on "recognizable" parts of the Middle-Earth's history and then to paint in "representation" by numbers (quotes because I consider such poor handling of it to be a crude and blatantly obvious attempt at pandering rather than true representation of any given ethnicity or culture) instead of setting it in a location and context where it would have been a natural and logical consequence, especially when there's a few cultures and nations that the source material leaves largely unexplored and where the showrunners would have almost complete freedom to do whatever because there's not much pre-existing lore to compete with.

The sandbox belongs to whoever paid for the license.
Think of it like this: Rings of Power takes place in the 2nd Age.
In the 2nd Age we see very few elves, dwarves, and harfoots of darker hue.
By the 3rd Age, they've been bred out by natural selection.

The show is good tho.
Don't let the cosmetics stop you from giving it an honest try.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 17 October 2022 - 03:13 PM.

#107 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 03:42 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 17 October 2022 - 03:09 PM, said:

Posted Image
just slap atlas, Orion etc on those and movies good.

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 17 October 2022 - 03:10 PM, said:

The sandbox belongs to whoever paid for the license.
Think of it like this: Rings of Power takes place in the 2nd Age.
In the 2nd Age we see very few elves, dwarves, and harfoots of darker hue.
By the 3rd Age, they've been bred out by natural selection.

The show is good tho.
Don't let the cosmetics stop you from giving it an honest try.
I think of it like people saying James bond has to be white; if you don't wanna see Idris Elba as James bond you've obviously never seen the Wire and I feel pity for those people.

#108 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 October 2022 - 03:58 PM

View Postccrider, on 17 October 2022 - 03:42 PM, said:

I think of it like people saying James bond has to be white; if you don't wanna see Idris Elba as James bond you've obviously never seen the Wire and I feel pity for those people.

But why does Idris Elba ~need~ to play the role of Bond in a Bond film? Can't that actor be just as good in another main role as another top agent? Make the new Bond film a buddy spy flick and then use that to make the case for a spin off series? I'd love to see a spy series where Bond is just another part of the cast and everyone else gets a place in the spotlight. I mean MI6 is a global operation so there should be plenty of missions to cover that don't involve Bond seducing every woman in sight as he foils the evil masterminds plot. Then you could cast every race on the planet and maybe toss in some aliens for good measure and everyone is happy.

#109 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 04:46 PM

View Postccrider, on 17 October 2022 - 03:42 PM, said:

Now you've gone too far.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 17 October 2022 - 04:48 PM.

#110 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 October 2022 - 05:00 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 17 October 2022 - 04:46 PM, said:

Now you've gone too far.

No. This is too far.

BUFFy the Vampire Slayer.

Posted Image

Should be a box office smash yes? Posted Image

#111 ccrider

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 02:24 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 17 October 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

But why does Idris Elba ~need~ to play the role of Bond in a Bond film? Can't that actor be just as good in another main role as another top agent? Make the new Bond film a buddy spy flick and then use that to make the case for a spin off series? I'd love to see a spy series where Bond is just another part of the cast and everyone else gets a place in the spotlight. I mean MI6 is a global operation so there should be plenty of missions to cover that don't involve Bond seducing every woman in sight as he foils the evil masterminds plot. Then you could cast every race on the planet and maybe toss in some aliens for good measure and everyone is happy.
I was almost willing to consider other ideas, but then I remembered that according to these forums a gold 1 badge makes my opinion better so I went and played a few matches and now my opinion on Idris Elba is much stronger. So no, I don't see making him another character; Idris is British and 007 is a code name given to one agent at a time. He'd be excellent. He's awesome in everything he does.

Edited by ccrider, 18 October 2022 - 02:25 PM.

#112 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 05:01 PM

View Postccrider, on 18 October 2022 - 02:24 PM, said:

I was almost willing to consider other ideas, but then I remembered that according to these forums a gold 1 badge makes my opinion better so I went and played a few matches and now my opinion on Idris Elba is much stronger. So no, I don't see making him another character; Idris is British and 007 is a code name given to one agent at a time. He'd be excellent. He's awesome in everything he does.

Yeah he can be 007, but he can't be Bond.
Btw
Spoiler

#113 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:03 PM

View Postccrider, on 18 October 2022 - 02:24 PM, said:

But he can't be Bond. Bond is a creation of cold war author Ian Fleming and he is undoubtedly a white male as per every single book. The Bond books also had other races as agents and foes and everyone in between so its not like Fleming was some hidden racist and only featured whites in positions of power and prestige. Idris can be any number agent he wants to be except 007 because 007 ~is~ James Bond. Should we remake the Beowulf movie and cast non european races in it too because now there are other races who live in europe?

#114 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,687 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 18 October 2022 - 08:28 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 17 October 2022 - 02:13 AM, said:

This is probably one of my favorite fight scenes in the expanse.

Im partial to Season 5's wolf pack battle; perhaps one of the finest space battles ever committed to screen. The three wolves fight in season 6 is also a close contender.

I do love those stealth ships though.

#115 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 11:53 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 17 October 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

But why does Idris Elba ~need~ to play the role of Bond in a Bond film?

Black james bond offends too?

Wait until you hear about the black mermaids.

#116 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 19 October 2022 - 03:18 AM

View PostKnownswift, on 18 October 2022 - 11:53 PM, said:

Black james bond offends too?

Wait until you hear about the black mermaids.

The mermaid movie that is going to bomb according to polling so far because people are scratching their head on how a european myth turned into an african one? Polling which is so far in the dumpster there is talk of not releasing it like that woke batgirl movie?

That movie is in the exact same vein as casting asian midgets in the main roles in this movie.

Whilst I simply ADORE asian midgets it simply wouldn't be quite the right casting decision.

Posted Image

#117 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 October 2022 - 05:02 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 17 October 2022 - 03:09 PM, said:

Posted Image

Disney would make that a Battletech movie.. Third one along resembles Bumblebee from Micheal Bay trash..

#118 Mal Bolge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 12:48 PM

The most Battletech'esque scene I've seen in a movie, is this one from Transformers. Particularly from 1:20

#119 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 09:05 PM

View Posttankhare, on 11 October 2022 - 06:46 AM, said:

the closest thing you'll find to a BattleTech movie is a old sci-fi flick called Robot Jox, should be on youtube, I believe

O man, thanks for the title!! Saw it a long time ago, did not know what it was.

#120 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 22 October 2022 - 01:18 AM

I spent a lot of the recent Dune movie thinking it could easily be a Battletech movie if it just had a handful of mechs. It would be cool to see but mechs haven't been overwhelmingly popular recently. Even Pacific Rim was hardly a massive block buster and that was one of the best/only big robot movies other than Transformers I can think of in a while.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users