If You Wanted To Improve Fp What Is The First Thing You Would Work On ?

83 replies to this topic

#1 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 December 2022 - 11:06 AM

the reason I ask is I was watching someone stream MWO
I thought he was new but it turned out he had been playing for 3 years (I feel like 3 years is to long to not have even tried FP)

I have only did 2 drops back in Jan (so I wanted to come here and ask)
trying to get this new player into a faction drop for the first time was a royal pain

so what do you guys think ?

FP UI or entry
FP game play
FP maps
FP balance

any thoughts

#2 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:45 PM

first it has been YEARS since i last played FP but i do have a few ideas.

1- Limit Group size

i am not saying to go qp with it. just limit the individual group size to no more than say 4 but allow as many groups as will fit. this should somewhat mitigate the 12 man pug farmers (well they can still sync drop but can't avoid that). you can always fill in missing players with solo drops. you might still have matches with all group players vs all solos but they might not all be from the same Elitist Unit.

(ok 1 is all can think of right of the top of my head. my other troubles with FP aren't anything PGI can really do anything about. you will always have the toxic meta "Elitists" and their mindset.)

anything we can do to keep the meta try hard crybabies from chasing off the new players is a plus (ok newish as you should have at least some experience under your belt before you jump into FP, at the very least long enough to fully skill out enough mechs for a drop deck. i don't gate keep so if someone wants to drop into FP with trial mechs thats up to them, they are going to have a bad time but i am not going to berate them for it.)

#3 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 December 2022 - 03:18 PM

I thought it was wrong that someone that has been playing for 3 years has never even tried FP

I have seen others that have been playing for years and never tried FP

I guess proof that the gating has worked

#4 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:22 AM

its mostly a toxic shithole or at least it was when last a played. (its mostly do to the Elitists meta try hard groups with no imagination)

#5 TheStranger

• PipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 07:31 PM

Get rid of group and single queues and just have one queue.

#6 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 01:30 PM

View PostTheStranger, on 12 December 2022 - 07:31 PM, said:

Get rid of group and single queues and just have one queue.

It has only one dead queue?

Edited by Curccu, 13 December 2022 - 01:30 PM.

#7 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 04:51 PM

Integrate event queue features like enforcing weight class rules and other modifiers to keep it fresh.

Replace gates with destructible walls.

Create a monthly story narrative that the average normie can follow along with.

Focus on solo drops and faction-wide rewards for every day play.

Create events for Group v Group, and livestream it for hype.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 13 December 2022 - 05:00 PM.

#8 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 12:04 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 11 December 2022 - 12:45 PM, said:

first it has been YEARS since i last played FP but i do have a few ideas.

1- Limit Group size

i am not saying to go qp with it. just limit the individual group size to no more than say 4 but allow as many groups as will fit. this should somewhat mitigate the 12 man pug farmers (well they can still sync drop but can't avoid that). you can always fill in missing players with solo drops. you might still have matches with all group players vs all solos but they might not all be from the same Elitist Unit.

(ok 1 is all can think of right of the top of my head. my other troubles with FP aren't anything PGI can really do anything about. you will always have the toxic meta "Elitists" and their mindset.)

anything we can do to keep the meta try hard crybabies from chasing off the new players is a plus (ok newish as you should have at least some experience under your belt before you jump into FP, at the very least long enough to fully skill out enough mechs for a drop deck. i don't gate keep so if someone wants to drop into FP with trial mechs thats up to them, they are going to have a bad time but i am not going to berate them for it.)

Where do u find these elitist u units? Fp is normally pugga vs pugga. What u might be talking about is every one and his mother jumping on defence because pgi to stupid to change attackers/defenders to random. Congratulations that even u realise that limiting group size in a game mode with only one match kicking of is an stupid idea.

Pgi forgot to PROMOTE group play. Ingame unit search functionality. Rewards / training ground that include this unit tab. An search random group functionality, that allows u to keep players from match to match and maybe get familiar with guys...(like LFG in good)Regular group que/gp events...

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 17 December 2022 - 12:11 PM.

#9 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2022 - 01:04 AM

Since the timeline jump.

The Clan invasion is over.

The Battle of Tukayyid (3052) and the claim to Earth (Terra) was won by COMSTAR, and Operation Klondike
was over.

There is no point in repeating the war over Tukayyid, its over and done with.

I think to revive Faction play, you almost have to make an entire new set of maps that are just Skirmishes for planets, and let IS fight IS, Clan vs Clan, or IS vs Clan.

Let people keep working on their faction status as loyalists, or mercs, or clans, and it will just be a free-for-all.

If they want to use Lore from Sarna and the Battletech books and history, do what you can when you can.

But its intended purpose has been served, and honestly in its current state rather pointless to bother with.

I like the idea of finding a timeline where its just a big planetary conquest for all factions.

Enforce dropdeck weight limits, and do 8v8 or 10v10 battles on maps similar to MW2, MW3, MW4.

Drop the entire nascar style arena maps like in QP.

Just make sure that it is not mixed clan and IS mechs so its not just a rehash of Quickplay.

and wtf ever happened to Solaris-7?

Edited by Cyborne Elemental, 18 December 2022 - 01:06 AM.

#10 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 03:58 PM

hmm its easy bring back SCOUTING, 4 man teams, or 2 man teams with 2 extra learners, the reason SCOUTING ended was because folks were getting WIPED OUT, by guys like ME,
GRANTED i was 1 of maybe 3000 FOLKS, with teamspeak and would BUILD MECHS to win, SPLAT mech, vomit, AND THE use OF THE atm MISSLE, ARE YOU CLUELESS.

can ANYONE TELL what on those mechs ?????

SAWK CLANNER

#11 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 04:44 PM

Multiple match campaigns, let folks match up two teams and play a small campaign against each other.

#12 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 08:30 PM

id make it the only place that groups could que up. make qp solo only again, and fw the group experience.

#13 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 03:12 AM

View PostSawk, on 18 December 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

hmm its easy bring back SCOUTING, 4 man teams, or 2 man teams with 2 extra learners, the reason SCOUTING ended was because folks were getting WIPED OUT, by guys like ME,
GRANTED i was 1 of maybe 3000 FOLKS, with teamspeak and would BUILD MECHS to win, SPLAT mech, vomit, AND THE use OF THE atm MISSLE, ARE YOU CLUELESS.

can ANYONE TELL what on those mechs ?????

SAWK CLANNER

Man. Less of the orange pills! I have no idea, what's your message.

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 19 December 2022 - 09:00 AM

PGI could not get scouting to integrated into FP

they tried but the player base did not seem to like it

because of the lack of maps PGI tried to integrate QP maps into FP (that took like a year after the suggestion was made)

some of us suggested we do another tukayyid but it got shot down

(we are not tied to the lore of BT but I guess a lot of people can't seem to get past that)

so some of the things (or problems) I see when dealing with a player base, in no specific order

1) they want as much freedom to do what they want (originally PGI wanted to do 1 assault, 1 hvy, 1 med, 1 light in a drop)

2) these big strong players like easy mode (when Russ called out the teams saying we have the data and they could see teams avoiding other teams, you should have seen the fire storm)

3) never take things away from players/customers

4) don't BS your players/customers I just about fell out of my chair when PGI said they never meant for the Clan to be stronger then the IS lol

right now it would be almost impossible to reboot FP, the player base is to used to crying and getting there way

I would let the current FP die/close the doors
then come out with a totally new campaign mode for teams and players

Edited by Davegt27, 24 December 2022 - 05:58 AM.

#15 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 19 December 2022 - 02:55 PM

well for one there needs to be a way to severely deter spawn camping.....

and make it so clans actually have a chance up close otherwise Clan vs IS fights will always end up fairly similar and get boring fast.

#16 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 December 2022 - 10:23 AM

clan mechs are already more powerful than IS, their weapons do more damage and at longer ranges than most of the IS equivalents. Clan mechs seem to have generally less armor and run hotter than IS (well IS running DHS, if you run singles than yeah the IS mechs will be much hotter). if you buff clans then you have to use proper clan drop numbers. so instead of 12 V 12 IS v C you would have 12 V 10.

as for seeing units, back when i played FP it was almost always 12 man single unit VS pugs, i rarely got a pug on pug match or even had more than 2 or 3 folks from the same unit on my team (i solo drop because i got sick and tired of the toxic ******** that got spouted by every unit i tried to join.(mind i was low t3 at the time with the old PSR system))

#17 aptest

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 11:27 AM

from my perspective the most important issues are:

1 solo player and small groups find it hard to be matched into a game. many times the matchmaker sits on 8 or 9 players waiting for 1-2 solos to fill in the group. then a larger group wants a game and the 2-3 solos that are currently waiting in the queue are rejected and put on a wait for the next game - at which point the same process happens. the end result is that the 2-3 solos or the group of 3-4 friends that wants to play can't ever get into the game.

the long term consequence is that these players are never interested in the game mode: on one hand who wants to wait forever only to not be matched? and on the second hand having to recruit 12 people every time you want to play is exhausting and the LFG / friend list isn't showing you if your friends are in quick play or faction.

some solution should happen that these players are helped to get into the game or that finding groups becomes easier. maybe put players into "armies" etc that allows them to be assigned a 12-group and work from there?

2 there is a problem with facing strong teams. when there is a strong team on who plays game after game, teams that are weak enough to be stomped by it are actively avoiding it: previously by figuring out where the strong team is playing and going on a different planet, and now by quitting and going to quick play

this is not because "people want easy wins" but because "being stomped is not fun". you spend your match being spawn camped which is simply a drag. nobody likes "providing content" to the other team by being a punching bag for half an hour.

this leaves the unaware new players and solos to take the brunt of an already oppressive opponent. and its easy to see why everybody, the strong opponents who are being blue-balled essentially included, lose interest in the game mode.

i think there are a lot of different things to change in faction play. but these 2 issues are the most important.

Edited by aptest, 24 December 2022 - 11:32 AM.

#18 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 05:29 PM

hmm its XMAS TIME MERRY TO ALL, after a will speak more : P

SAWK

#19 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 January 2023 - 11:17 PM

what do you guys think of only allowing groups in FP and or event que ??

I ran into a few players that think solo players are the problem (or are a problem in MWO) with MWO

if I remember right CW/FW/FP was originally intended for groups teams/ groups

one way this could be done is
if your not on a team you will be assigned to a team/unit

this could be tested in the event queue by allowing groups only

thoughts

#20 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 11:11 AM

U cant force players to play mode X. If u delete groups out of qp u delete a lot if players in the progress that wont switch. Especially since fp is mostly alive in NA prime and only half dead in eu prime. Event que just an meh idea to beginn with and no replacement at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users