To Dire Or Not To Dire Tis The Question

26 replies to this topic

#1 SafeScanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 22 January 2023 - 05:34 PM

Sooo assuming most of us have unlocked "Direwolf-C" How do you like to go stomping around in it?

or how do you plan on dealing with them?

Edited by SafeScanner, 22 January 2023 - 05:35 PM.

#2 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 728 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 05:45 PM

Blue lasers, I figure. Already have a couple kitted out in other ways.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 22 January 2023 - 05:54 PM

Dire Wolf... my favorite mech, now that the DWF-A(P) finally came out Posted Image

- - - - - - - - - -
More fun DWF builds!!
https://mwomercs.com...r-another-heavy

DWF-C
=====
DWF-C: 2xLBX20 + 2xLBX10 + ECM + JJ
DWF-C: LBX20 + UAC20 + 2xUAC10 + ECM + JJ
DWF-C: 4xLBX10 + 3xerSML lasers + ECM + JJ
DWF-C: 2xUAC10 + 3xUAC5 + ECM + JJ
DWF-C: 6xUAC2 + ECM + JJ
DWF-C: 6xLBX2 + ECM + JJ
DWF-C: 6xAC5 + ECM + JJ
Deadside DWF-C: 2xGR + 4xERLL + ECM + JJ (credits: [JGx] Krasnopesky)
http://mwo.nav-alpha...=47f70a5b_DWF-C
https://discord.com/...433153638834176

DWF-UV, or DWF-A(P)
==================
DWF-UV: 2xAC20 + 2xAC10
DWF-UV: 8xUAC2
DWF-UV: 8xLBX2
DWF-UV: 5xAC10
DWF-UV: UAC20 + 2xUAC10 + 2xUAC5 (aka 'The Delete Mech' by [JGx] DATA)
DWF-UV: 2xLBX20 + LBX10 + 3xSRM6 (from GrimMechs)
DWF-UV: 4xAC10 + ERPPC (Similar to GrimMechs' KDK-3)

DWF-Prime (SO8)
===============
DWF-Prime: 2xGauss + 2xLPL + 6xERML (Set-of-8 bonus)

As you can see, any way you slice+dice the Dire Wolf, it is a potent damage dealer, as long as you are protected from Light mechs coming up behind you! ymmv

Edited by w0qj, 05 August 2023 - 03:12 PM.

#4 snowridr

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 22 January 2023 - 05:54 PM

Old one I have is a ER laser boat 6 larges and a bunch of small pulses, the one I got in the event is 4 ERPPCs and a lrm10andlrm15 with a 1.5 tons ammo+bonus node.
It seems to work pretty well, not being automatically targeted with missile boats is pretty nice.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 22 January 2023 - 11:02 PM

the dire has a learning curve but oh is it powerful at the top of that curve. most of the learning curve involves learning how to counter lights.

#6 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:31 AM

More DWF-C build ideas, in this mech build guide to the monthly free mechs:

https://docs.google....ihUp7zDCUw/edit
https://mwomercs.com...ffed-mech-guide

#7 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 943 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 24 January 2023 - 09:06 AM

My DWF-C is not unique but so far it proven a ball-buster:
2x cLRM-20s +Artemis
4x cL-Lasers

Have trouble with closely circling lights but a single 4-lasers hit enough to drive them away (to bad it is harder to done than say oftentimes). Missiles are general, good to soften up target for team + farm damage well.
And this variant seems extremely durable! Not sure but it lasts longer than my DWF-B...

#8 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:52 PM

Since they keep giving them away, I've got:
6 x LPL
3xUAC5 +2xUAC10
4xLBX1O
6xAC5
8xAC2

LPL requires a bit of heat management. LBX10 the arm mounts are a bit low and its not exciting gameplay. AC5 and AC2 builds are okay. The UAC one is the most engaging to play.

The ERLL + Gauss looks good in videos, but not.ideal for solo QP at my skill level.

#9 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:05 PM

This is pretty mean and can rack up some great damage at any engagement range as long as you don't get swarmed by lights.

dwf-c

#10 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:13 PM

I'm not a fan of Direwolves in the current meta.. Its kinda like a massive turret that dies way too easily.. Its too fat and is usually way to slow to move out of combat. There are so many better Assaults than a Direwolf these days.

Edited by PocketYoda, 27 January 2023 - 08:15 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 08:35 PM

its still one of my top performers, so it cant be that bad.

#12 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:25 PM

Dire Wolf dies quickly under focused fire...especially since it's one of those Assault mechs everyone targets first!

The trick is to pick your fight, a "Suddenly Dire Wolf" moment ideally, but if not, then be a part of a group focus firing on just one enemy (and not the other way around!).

Also if you have access to Dire Wolf UV hero arms (and you should), you can further fine tune your mech layout with the DWF-A right torso (-10% Cooldown), or DWF-Prime right torso (-5% Heat), both of which also give extra bonus armor points to your RT!

The DWF-UV hero mech CT (-2.5% Heat, +10% Weapon Velocity, +30% CBills bonus) prints money.

The DWF-A(P) mech CT (-5% Heat, +10% Weapon Velocity, +30% CBills bonus) is even better!

The DWF-C is also very respectable, with ECM+JJ, gets you to tactical locations undetected, while granting you the first shot.

You can also get the DWF-C(S) with +30% CBills bonus from the Warden Booster Pack also!

View PostPocketYoda, on 27 January 2023 - 08:13 PM, said:

I'm not a fan of Direwolves in the current meta.. Its kinda like a massive turret that dies way too easily.. Its too fat and is usually way to slow to move out of combat. There are so many better Assaults than a Direwolf these days.

Edited by w0qj, 27 January 2023 - 11:04 PM.

#13 MrTBSC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:57 PM

i run a build i like to call Bananaganga... it´s a 3xUAC 20+quad ERml build ... ít´s probably the closest you may get to a non-canon RAC 20 build ... and yea ... DO.NOT. ALPHA. EVER.

#14 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 27 January 2023 - 11:25 PM

View PostMrTBSC, on 27 January 2023 - 10:57 PM, said:

i run a build i like to call Bananaganga... it´s a 3xUAC 20+quad ERml build ... ít´s probably the closest you may get to a non-canon RAC 20 build ... and yea ... DO.NOT. ALPHA. EVER.

I was like no way that all fits with enough ammo to matter or shaving a ton of armor but welp..

dwf-c

edit; tried it out in the test map and you need MOAR ammo so modified it a bit.

This is not a mech you want to be in front of just make sure to practice your chainfire double clicks or else heat will shut you down fast. But 120 damage in a couple of seconds only to do it again in another few seconds is frightening. The trick will be to stay with the nascar and not get swarmed but someone in that swarm is going to die possible several before they take you down.

dwf-c

The micros are better to take out ankle biters anyways.

Edited by Meep Meep, 28 January 2023 - 12:02 AM.

#15 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 11:46 PM

Many thanks for your Clan RAC20 DWF referral !!

Just tried it out, could face tank a King Crab, damaged a Centurion, before succumbing myself!

King Crab in particular likes to face tank a Dire Wolf, and it's nice to win a face-to-face brawl with King Crab for once! ;)

View PostMrTBSC, on 27 January 2023 - 10:57 PM, said:

View PostMeep Meep, on 27 January 2023 - 11:25 PM, said:

I was like no way that all fits with enough ammo to matter or shaving a ton of armor but welp..

dwf-c

#16 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 728 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 01:13 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 27 January 2023 - 11:25 PM, said:

dwf-c

edit; tried it out in the test map and you need MOAR ammo so modified it a bit.

This is not a mech you want to be in front of just make sure to practice your chainfire double clicks or else heat will shut you down fast. But 120 damage in a couple of seconds only to do it again in another few seconds is frightening. The trick will be to stay with the nascar and not get swarmed but someone in that swarm is going to die possible several before they take you down.

dwf-c

The micros are better to take out ankle biters anyways.

If you use ERSLs, you gain 2t, which you can split between 1t of ammo and one more DHS. Same peak DPS as the ERML version with better sustain and extra ammo; better peak and sustained DPS than the micro version, but at the cost of 2t of ammo.

Personally though I wouldn't expect to live long enough to shoot through 1440 damage worth of UAC/20 ammo so I don't think the extra couple of tons beyond that add much.

#17 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 28 January 2023 - 01:27 AM

View Postfoamyesque, on 28 January 2023 - 01:13 AM, said:

If you use ERSLs, you gain 2t, which you can split between 1t of ammo and one more DHS. Same peak DPS as the ERML version with better sustain and extra ammo; better peak and sustained DPS than the micro version, but at the cost of 2t of ammo.

Personally though I wouldn't expect to live long enough to shoot through 1440 damage worth of UAC/20 ammo so I don't think the extra couple of tons beyond that add much.

My thoughts on it are you get a 414m optimal and are putting out half your alpha at ~650m so you should be taking lots of mid range shots and some will miss so MOAR ammo seems the play for this build since the lasers are just a fraction of the total dps. If you are lancing up with reliable mates then I'd drop the lasers completely and go full ammo and heatsink build.

#18 StrikerSW

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 11:41 AM

Dire Wolf is an awesome Mech and can be rewarding or frustrating to play. Having a decent build that you can pilot is important, but having the support of another assault or heavy is crucial to limiting damage taken while dishing it out. Team support is just as important for a good run. Practice, practice and you'll come to love the mechs strong points and manage its weaknesses, like speed and maneuvering. Find a buddy who likes to drop in assaults, communicate your movements and focus fire together!!!

#19 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 12:18 PM

I opt not to dire.

#20 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2023 - 08:41 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 January 2023 - 08:35 PM, said:

its still one of my top performers, so it cant be that bad.

Only because it can boat a metric ton of clan weaponry..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users