New Map Pure Trash...

92 replies to this topic

#21 Grand Muff Diver

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 35 posts
  • LocationThese are not the Tryhards you are looking for..

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:01 AM

Very sweet map for an ecm flea. Not much cover for big mechs but tons of it for tiny ones. There are also invisible walls all along the top of the border barriers too so you can't jj over them or get on top. The color palette reminds me of old cga graphics though.

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:11 AM

i think perhaps they need to base their map themes on more than one color. there is a whole rgb space you can work with.

Edited by LordNothing, 22 March 2023 - 12:11 AM.

#23 Gor Hanis

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:54 AM

Long range paradise, with some very clear, deadly spot. I don't mind LRM's if you have several proper cover or other possible counters, like trenches or backdoor routes. There are some spots on the edges of the map, but they are circumstantial. The rolling hill design give enough tactical options against PPC, las or gauss snipers. I like brawling, but since yesterday, most of the matches take place on this buggy, recycled map with RGB colors, so I'm forced to bring long range builds. Ok, it's new and everyone choose this, but it's hard to enjoy with brawling config, UNLESS you have proper teamwork. But this rarely occurs with randoms in quick matches. And the bugs, stuck points. I was really looking forward to the new map, but disappointment...

Edited by Gor Hanis, 22 March 2023 - 04:36 AM.

#24 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:51 AM

The map has several key issues.

There are long stretches of no cover, extremely long sight lines and raised edges with a lower middle map. There are multiple angles of attack one can get hit from if attempting to expose themselves or trying to move around. Overall the map doesn't facilitate any form of movement under cover.

This promotes very slow gameplay which punishes movement and pushing and rewards static sniping. It completely invalidates short range brawlers and even medium range mechs which are rendered virtually useless for a good part of the match.

The visuals while initially interesting and cool looking become quite the strain on the eyes and make it unpleasant to play on for longer periods.

The map designer is very inexperienced with the game or he is heavily biased towards static long range gameplay. Either way I believe its bad map design and it seems the team fails to recruit someone who understands the nuances of MWO dynamics and gameplay and knows how to incorporate them successfully into good balanced map design.

After a week the novelty will wear off, everyone will have experienced the map and people will stop voting for it.

4/10 Below average

Edited by Louis Brofist, 22 March 2023 - 03:59 AM.

#25 Fattimus Prime

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:26 AM

Definitely not a fan.

There are already so many maps where gauss/erll can dominate, did we really need a new map with huge open sight lines and hardly any cover for pushing? There's like, 1 maybe 2 maps where brawlers can consistently shine and yet we add another sniper's paradise to the rotation? I don't get it.

#26 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:05 AM

Unfortunately devs are stubborn and make exactly the same mistake again, again and again - they waste their resources on maps, where only small portion of it (corner in this case) is usable for actual gameplay.

#27 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:54 AM

Another fishbowl map... it seems to be the only style that they know.

Edit= it is day 2- this map is already being voted out...that pretty much says it all.

Edited by Papaspud, 22 March 2023 - 11:58 AM.

#28 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 886 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:05 PM

Happy purple rain all ovah da place Ima tell ya!
Lots of bugs n glitches. Literally tinkered together horribly...
Half of the map floats (grass, trees) half of the map have the strange habit to vanish if look some angles...
Seriously ask this: ANYONE DOES CHECKED IT BEFORE RELEASE?!?
And they would answer: NO

Big, purple basin for happy sniper\lurmer con to settle "this-n-that OP" matters...
In it's current form I not understand why they released... I clearly waited more from this even after seen the purple-basin screenshots in the patch thread...

+ it seems people already try to avoid it like plague...

#29 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:59 PM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 22 March 2023 - 12:05 PM, said:

Happy purple rain all ovah da place Ima tell ya!
Lots of bugs n glitches. Literally tinkered together horribly...
Half of the map floats (grass, trees) half of the map have the strange habit to vanish if look some angles...
Seriously ask this: ANYONE DOES CHECKED IT BEFORE RELEASE?!?
And they would answer: NO

Big, purple basin for happy sniper\lurmer con to settle "this-n-that OP" matters...
In it's current form I not understand why they released... I clearly waited more from this even after seen the purple-basin screenshots in the patch thread...

+ it seems people already try to avoid it like plague...

Maybe it's an old map. looks like solaris maps. exploding fireworks.

#30 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 689 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

I just had my first match on this thing and got stuck in holes, multiple times!, as a Phoenix Hawk. Bit odd.

#31 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 01:49 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 21 March 2023 - 10:02 PM, said:

I found lots of cover in the low lands, and paths that lead around the map..
Maybe it's harder in larger mechs, I dunno.

For me the tops of the hills were great a breaking targets and approaching to brawl distance. The one map I swung around the edge into a 10 mech deathball and had plenty of cover to retreat along a few hill ridgelines to re-group and try to get the team pointed the right direction.

Seemed like at least in that match people weren't able to grasp that the entire hill was cover and a ramp and they didn't need to go around it like they were in canyon.

#32 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 March 2023 - 07:22 AM

It's hard in Domination as there's no good cover inside the circle and you are very exposed except for part of the very edge. Meanwhile, the rest of your team is a couple grids away on the high ground which is the tactically superior position. I suppose this is also true of many other maps but there really needs to be some more medium sized cover throughout to allow short range slow mechs to advance without needing to take the high ground. I actually think the edges should be lowered to about half their current height. And it's too purple. I get that the map designer used all of MWO's existing purple assets, but it's an overload. I'd like to see some teals, yellows, aqua, pinks or lighter shades of purple. For additional cover, it would be fine to add some basic buildings or wall pieces. As it's a coliseum, artificial structures and random walls would be appropriate. I'd actually prefer it over the Grim Plexis blocks that everyone is getting stuck in.

#33 Grand Muff Diver

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 35 posts
  • LocationThese are not the Tryhards you are looking for..

Posted 23 March 2023 - 08:13 AM

Yeah after a nights play on it can say domination is a death trap for cappers. Definitely needs to be moved or some more cover added in. The other modes are fine. It's also a haven for fast ecm mechs so far with all the little low lying valleys and such so you can mover around undetected. Snipers are not as strong as people were making out too.

#34 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 08:24 AM

I'm often not a fan of new or reworked maps, but my early impression of this map is positive.

Yes, the glittery purple color scheme is very distracting and honestly I think its the biggest turn off in terms of people not voting for this map; I'd like to see it go and be replaced with more "natural" colors. And there are some foreseeable touch-ups that need to happen to smooth out objects etc.; as always.

Otherwise though its GOOD.

Terrain the feels like actual terrain, more than enough dead ground for anyone with a clue to move around in relatively safely, a fair amount of vertical terrain to jump behind if suddenly targeted my LRM's - without being a clearly lurm-hater map, some hidey-holes for snipers and ambushers without being just a feeding frenzy for backstabbers, there are some environmental items for flavor without significant irritants from other maps like way too many trees, or gross amounts of hanging foliage, or fog banks, or blinding snow, or inexplicable terrain items strewn around the ground tripping up your mech....

I *hope* we will all find this one more and more playable as time goes on.

Posted Image

Edited by An6ryMan69, 23 March 2023 - 08:55 AM.

#35 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 23 March 2023 - 09:14 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Maybe it would be nice if it was simple.

#36 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 23 March 2023 - 09:17 AM

A similar map would be nice.
day and night.

Edited by TAMTAMBABY, 23 March 2023 - 09:20 AM.

#37 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:54 PM

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 23 March 2023 - 08:24 AM, said:

Terrain the feels like actual terrain

Especially this.

I find if flows well if you aren't die hard stuck in the hard cover peek and poke mindset.

#38 Snukums

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 03:28 PM

The most serious issues with the map are 1) the long open areas without cover that make movement very difficult against snipers and/or LRMs, 2) the crystal structures that have many areas that one can get stuck and 3) the high ground spots on the circumference (especially to the North) that expose much of the map.

It can be fun if you drop in a group that is equipped for a ranged fight but sucks otherwise.

#39 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 07:06 PM

What a giant soup bowl of no cover long range sniper wet dream trash. Wow lol

#40 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 733 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 23 March 2023 - 07:32 PM

I don't see what's the big deal with the color palette or the supposed LRM fest. ERLL are more of an issue in this map TBH and the colors are a nice variation from the usual.
What I would love to see is grass that actually touches the ground...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users