#61 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 694 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 12:46 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 25 March 2023 - 12:09 PM, said:

What do you consider to be a 'Sniper' ?

Because i have a feeling you mean "Has longer range than SRMs and AC20s", since mid range works absolutely fine on this map.

It's a PPC sniper map.

#62 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 04:09 PM

View PostVonbach, on 25 March 2023 - 12:46 PM, said:

It's a PPC sniper map.

Super weird that my 4SP (especially, but all the mediums I've dropped into the map) has almost zero issues with getting stuck in sniper fire(or generally even hit more than once or twice a drop) or pathing into its 300m range.

It's honestly probably by far the easiest map to both avoid snipers and get into brawling range as well as the hills provide ample area cover to allow you to set and keep that range. Nascar deathball is also hindered because it's super easy for mobile mechs to cut around it and chop it to pieces.

#63 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 25 March 2023 - 04:18 PM

View PostVonbach, on 25 March 2023 - 12:46 PM, said:

It's a PPC sniper map.

It is possible to use long range weapons to your advantage, yes. Its also entirely possible to close distance if you use sensible pathing and dont just beeline over the top of hills (and stay out of the very center of the map, where it is pretty open - the domination circle area is fairly dangerous).

ECM, low profile and and mobility are very useful - i wouldnt be happy if i dropped on that map in a brawly annihilator, but its far from the only map thats problematic for that type of mech. Hibernal is worse, for example.

#64 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 04:35 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 25 March 2023 - 04:21 PM, said:

Since all I have played on it so far is Skirmish I haven't seen how Dom feels. It's not immediately apparent which routes are best for closing, but since I am only like 5 drops in on it... we'll see?

There are almost unlimited routes for closing, its not a case of following paths, its a case of using the low ground in the rolling terrain wisely.

Its absolutely possible - in one of the 2 event queue games i played last night my team got stomped by a strong group and i was last alive with 2 Shadow cats remaining - with the enemy team almost in camping range of the drop i was easily able to run off and lose everyone. I could have waited out the game if id wanted to - i didnt and managed to snag a sneaky kill but the point is there is PLENTY of cover. (That team didnt have any fast lights out at the time or id probably have had a harder time losing them)

#65 CommonParadox

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 09:17 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 25 March 2023 - 12:09 PM, said:

What do you consider to be a 'Sniper' ?
Because i have a feeling you mean "Has longer range than SRMs and AC20s", since mid range works absolutely fine on this map.

LL's, LPs, and MRMs, and LPPCs didn't turn out so hot on a mech that moves less than 80kph.[

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 25 March 2023 - 04:35 PM, said:

There are almost unlimited routes for closing, its not a case of following paths, its a case of using the low ground in the rolling terrain wisely.

Not really so. Most of the even slightly elevated positions can see down into the valleys fairly easily. It's honestly pretty astounding how much coverage one PPC/Gauss mech can have on this map from a single position.

View Postsycocys, on 25 March 2023 - 04:09 PM, said:

Super weird that my 4SP (especially, but all the mediums I've dropped into the map) has almost zero issues with getting stuck in sniper fire(or generally even hit more than once or twice a drop) or pathing into its 300m range.

I'm going to bet your 4P moves at around 90kph like most do. It's also half the height of most heavies or assaults, so there's that, too. Don't underestimate how much that speed protects you even in a medium.

#66 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 March 2023 - 01:05 AM

i have only played a few matches on it but Domination needs work (same with Crucible) there is almost no place to cap from that isn't a deathtrap. haven't had a chance to play conquest on it yet. it does feel like a snipers heaven though. played a few LRM mechs on it and its alright. not as forgiving as say Old Polar but they are at least viable (Well when you aren't being picked off from over 1k meters with no chance at getting a lock even with LoS.)

not a huge fan of the color pallet, as far as environmental heat (we need something in testing to tell us these things) its seems middle of the road. i might eventually get the hang of it but i don't play as much as i once did so that might take a while.

#67 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,750 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 26 March 2023 - 01:57 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 26 March 2023 - 01:05 AM, said:

(Well when you aren't being picked off from over 1k meters with no chance at getting a lock even with LoS.)

Try this. 1251m locks and 1125m optimal.

cplt-c4

I think they might have over buffed it a bit but lrm spam is pretty rare nowadays so enjoy.

#68 Razgriz_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 26 March 2023 - 02:31 AM

This is probably my favorite new map next to Emerald. I get having issues if your PC is struggling from the fireworks tanking frames (My 3080 and i7 11800h are barely getting me 70fps but what else is new with this game) but Im beyond confused by dudes having headaches because it is purple. Do you not have issues with the obnoxiously bright snow maps? Or the 3 maps that are primarily red/orange? Low/stuttering FPS sucks and definitely makes me motion sick, but purple?

#69 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 06:15 AM

View PostCommonParadox, on 25 March 2023 - 09:17 PM, said:

I'm going to bet your 4P moves at around 90kph like most do. It's also half the height of most heavies or assaults, so there's that, too. Don't underestimate how much that speed protects you even in a medium.

A couple of my 4SP variants do -a couple are rigged with stacks of MRMs and smaller engines, my 4P in the random occasion I run it is around 70, same with the 4G/4H and the majority of my clan Hunches. The rest of my mediums vary, but generally hover around the 70-low 80 range.

Having that particular speed range shouldn't be an issue for 90% of heavies, and getting close to it for the majority of at least non-clan assaults if you choose to build your mechs to be mobile instead of turrets.

#70 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:22 AM

Learn to adapt and overcome..

#71 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:29 AM

View PostCommonParadox, on 25 March 2023 - 09:17 PM, said:

LL's, LPs, and MRMs, and LPPCs didn't turn out so hot on a mech that moves less than 80kph.[

Well, i have plenty of success with C-LPLs, which have slightly less range than LPPCs and about the same as MRMs, on a 69kph Blood Asp (which is extremely tall, but does have high mounted hardpoints). Does the mech in question have low mounts, and was it chosen for high end quirks that are there to make up for the bad weapon placement?

My experience is that, on any map has non city terrain (I.e. not flat tarmac with no vertical cover), hardpoint placement is more important than stronger quirks because firing from cover is OP. This map is not a city map, and therefore is no different in that regard.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 26 March 2023 - 07:29 AM.

#72 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:40 PM

Regardless of anything else they really need to fix the pot holes that just suck an entire mech or two in them and not let them out. There's one in E4 that gets someone at least every other match in there.

#73 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2023 - 12:04 AM

#74 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:53 PM

Like this map, I do. Star wars, it smells. Run around like a fool, you must not! Master Mech Warrior, you shall become!

#75 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 06:36 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 21 March 2023 - 10:06 PM, said:

Pure **** on the color scheme and I must echo the same about the night/heat modes making the map WORSE. I have hell of time with colors that are similar in chroma and my brother can't play the game since he is color blind. ******* learn color theory and make some dam *** maps that people with vision problems can actually play.

^^^

And checking "Color Blind Reticle" option doesn't even do anything as far as I can tell.

I'm not even color blind and I even have trouble on half the maps in this game.

#76 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 06:41 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 30 March 2023 - 06:36 PM, said:

^^^

And checking "Color Blind Reticle" option doesn't even do anything as far as I can tell.

I'm not even color blind and I even have trouble on half the maps in this game.

Color blind reticle adds an animation to the reticle when you hit a target.

#77 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 03:42 AM

Does anybody have any framerate issues on this map?

I've tried it in testing grounds and my FPS was very stable, almost without any drops. But in live game the FPS drops massively, sometimes to 1/2 of my limit. I never had such issues on any other map, not even Solaris City(where FPS drops are both visible in live game and testing grounds).

#78 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:33 AM

I like this new map "Free Worlds Coliseum"!

But if the ("Barney's Revenge") color is the main contention here, then perhaps MWO can consider to change the ground color to a drab sand brown color, ie: same as Steiner Coliseum.

What irks me the most is when I'm under one of those big trees with huge canopy, and enemy pops up UAV, I cannot "see" the UAV as it's blocked by tree canopy (leaves). Just my cent.

#79 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:32 AM

w

View Postw0qj, on 31 March 2023 - 04:33 AM, said:

I like this new map "Free Worlds Coliseum"!

But if the ("Barney's Revenge") color is the main contention here, then perhaps MWO can consider to change the ground color to a drab sand brown color, ie: same as Steiner Coliseum.

What irks me the most is when I'm under one of those big trees with huge canopy, and enemy pops up UAV, I cannot "see" the UAV as it's blocked by tree canopy (leaves). Just my cent.

Barney's Revenge is not the only map with lack of contrast or visibility issues, it's not even the worst.

For instance Tourmaline Desert is another example of monocolor map, but unlike Barney's Revenge, TD washes out when you turn the brightness up enough to see well. Several maps have "white out" sky but dark ground, so when you turn the brightness up enough to see the ground then things wash out in the distance.

All the maps have a certain brightness that maximizes visibility, sometimes it's not intuitive, several maps wash out at too high of a brightness even though they seem a bit dark.

I noticed turning the brightness to about 85 helps a bit on Barney's Revenge.

Basically I have to adjust my brightness for every match unless they happen to fall in the same brightness range.

Which is great for realism, since we are supposed to be on a different planets. But it's still annoying as heck.

#80 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 694 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 05:11 PM

Take this **** sniper bowl map out of rotation. It's garbage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users