127 replies to this topic

#121 Tirothion

• PipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:01 PM

View PostGrimjack Haxor, on 07 April 2023 - 03:14 PM, said:

Right, I was just wondering why the cauldron would want it to be like it is unfixed.

It honestly baffles me.

#122 Grimjack Haxor

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2023 - 07:07 PM

View PostTirothion, on 07 April 2023 - 07:01 PM, said:

It honestly baffles me.

I think 4xUAC10 will hit pretty hard if you can aim. Put them on rotation and just fire constantly. For me it's better than missing a high alpha shot.

#123 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 07 April 2023 - 09:18 PM

Clan RAC10? XD ;)

View PostGrimjack Haxor, on 07 April 2023 - 07:07 PM, said:

I think 4xUAC10 will hit pretty hard if you can aim. Put them on rotation and just fire constantly. For me it's better than missing a high alpha shot.

#124 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 09:00 AM

View PostGrimjack Haxor, on 07 April 2023 - 07:07 PM, said:

I think 4xUAC10 will hit pretty hard if you can aim.

Luckily I see plenty of players these days that can not! Posted ImagePosted Image

#125 Grimjack Haxor

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 April 2023 - 10:46 PM

View PostRoodkapje, on 10 April 2023 - 09:00 AM, said:

Luckily I see plenty of players these days that can not! Posted ImagePosted Image

I meant that nobody can aim right now with the lower articulation not working... Costs many shots.

#126 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 April 2023 - 02:54 AM

View PostGrimjack Haxor, on 07 April 2023 - 03:14 PM, said:

Right, I was just wondering why the cauldron would want it to be like it is unfixed.

View PostTirothion, on 07 April 2023 - 07:01 PM, said:

It honestly baffles me.

Because not having the arms swing side-to-side allows the arm and torso crosshairs to remain aligned, thus allowing multi-weapon builds to be aimed at the same specific component and carve your opponent up like a Thanksgiving Turkey.

And here I thought their whole reason for being was because they were elite pilots who could handle that sort of thing... (or knew about Arm Lock).

View PostGrimjack Haxor, on 10 April 2023 - 10:46 PM, said:

I meant that nobody can aim right now with the lower articulation not working... Costs many shots.

And that's not specifically true: you have plenty of 'mechs without lower arm actuators that are extremely deadly. Same with 'mechs that just mount everything on the torsos, for that matter.

Jagermech
Rifleman
Blackjack
Any Omnimech with Ballistics or PPCs in the arms
Any torso-mounted weapons
etc.

Actually, the Centurion AH has had the same bug the entire time it's existed. It has an AC/20 in the right arm, so it's missing that lower arm actuator, but it still has the left arm actuator, and it pretends like it doesn't.

#127 Grimjack Haxor

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 April 2023 - 02:24 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 11 April 2023 - 02:54 AM, said:

Because not having the arms swing side-to-side allows the arm and torso crosshairs to remain aligned, thus allowing multi-weapon builds to be aimed at the same specific component and carve your opponent up like a Thanksgiving Turkey. And here I thought their whole reason for being was because they were elite pilots who could handle that sort of thing... (or knew about Arm Lock). And that's not specifically true: you have plenty of 'mechs without lower arm actuators that are extremely deadly. Same with 'mechs that just mount everything on the torsos, for that matter. Jagermech Rifleman Blackjack Any Omnimech with Ballistics or PPCs in the arms Any torso-mounted weapons etc. Actually, the Centurion AH has had the same bug the entire time it's existed. It has an AC/20 in the right arm, so it's missing that lower arm actuator, but it still has the left arm actuator, and it pretends like it doesn't.

I understand that obviously not all mechs have lower arm articulation, but that is part of how they are balanced (I would assume). Since the moonwalker is meant to have lower arm articulation, part of its potential is not being reached, therefor it is gimped/nerfed, and people can't aim with it like they should be able to.

You're preaching to the choir here, I normally prefer body mounted weapons or leaving the arms locked. But now I have something well suited to unlocking the arms/torso and I can't do it and it makes me not even want to play right now.

#128 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 April 2023 - 06:50 AM

View PostGrimjack Haxor, on 11 April 2023 - 02:24 PM, said:

I understand that obviously not all mechs have lower arm articulation, but that is part of how they are balanced (I would assume). Since the moonwalker is meant to have lower arm articulation, part of its potential is not being reached, therefor it is gimped/nerfed, and people can't aim with it like they should be able to.

You're preaching to the choir here, I normally prefer body mounted weapons or leaving the arms locked. But now I have something well suited to unlocking the arms/torso and I can't do it and it makes me not even want to play right now.

So as-advertised, and upon release, the 'mech didn't have lower arm actuators at all. It was quickly discovered that this left too many crit-slots free, with too many ballistic hardpoints spread around the 'mech, and people were realizing they could run 5x Clan AC/10's (I only ever saw 5x LBX/10's, but a review of MechDB's ghost heat table did confirm that Ghost Heat on Clan standard AC/10's is negligible). The ability to dump 50 points into a pinpoint alpha every couple of seconds was quickly determined to be OP, and it was decided to add the previously missing Lower Arm Actuators, and adjust the stock build to account for the missing crit slots and weight freed up by components removed to make room for them.

This was done as a hotfix within a week of release.

Upon reloading the game post-hotfix, it was discovered that, while they added the actuators, they forgot to make them functional. That bug is going to be corrected, but that fix is being held until the next patch, rather than being pushed out as another hotfix.

So in short: the actual in-match functionality of the 'mech hasn't changed at all from day-1 release. The only thing that has changed are the number of free crits in the arms, and what kinds of builds will fit in there. The 'mech plays exactly the same as it's been playing all along.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users