Why Does Faction Play Suck Soooo Bad?

73 replies to this topic

#41 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 17 July 2023 - 08:55 PM

I love how nobody seems to listen to what im saying and instead trying to give me tips on loadout. Not a new player, check leaderboards if you wanna get an idea. Im a medium mech main so thats why i bring 2 mediums. That Arctic Wolf did 1.5k on first drop i brought it to, and HBKIIC 4xERLL is the best p4p ll sniper you can bring, you dont get a mech with higher hardpoints. Problem isnt the mechs, its the game mode. Especially the FP-only maps. I dont care what the supposed tactic is, how the match plays out is the problem, win or lose. Anyways, i would have no problem if PGI for some reason didnt tie 2k'ish MC reward + cbills to FP which gives a very strong incentive to play something so horrid.

#42 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 17 July 2023 - 11:27 PM

U don't like it. Ok! I don't like qp. Don't force yourself to play something because of digital reward worth under 10 bucks. Not worth getting upset. Especially the attack and defend nature makes it such unique and viable game style when played in groups. The usual faction game play is way different then the current tier 5 how to open the gates stuff.

The reinforcement nature and the layout result in 0 rotato. In solo and small groups engagements tends to be slower paste (simply easier to communicate). Group play validates far more strategic options.

A lot of randoms I dropped with had a good time and where quite thankfull for tipps and calls. The one with omg this is bad moments where usually boreal attack, sub 500 dmg in typical lurm deck of choice...

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 17 July 2023 - 11:29 PM.

#43 oligodeoxyhexosulose

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 July 2023 - 06:46 AM

View PostLordhammer, on 17 July 2023 - 08:55 PM, said:

I love how nobody seems to listen to what im saying and instead trying to give me tips on loadout. Not a new player, check leaderboards if you wanna get an idea. Im a medium mech main so thats why i bring 2 mediums. That Arctic Wolf did 1.5k on first drop i brought it to, and HBKIIC 4xERLL is the best p4p ll sniper you can bring, you dont get a mech with higher hardpoints. Problem isnt the mechs, its the game mode. Especially the FP-only maps. I dont care what the supposed tactic is, how the match plays out is the problem, win or lose. Anyways, i would have no problem if PGI for some reason didnt tie 2k'ish MC reward + cbills to FP which gives a very strong incentive to play something so horrid.

If you're doing 1.5k damage in a single mech and then going on to complain about the game mode, then here is nothing wrong with the game mode. You are just too good for it, its boring you and you don't find it a challenge. The rest of the players that aren't as good as you are enjoying it. If you want a bit more of a challenge, join competitive MWO and play in the A division, you get much more MC from that game mode as well.

Don't know why a player of your skill is complaining about C bills and MC. You should be raking it in with your game performance.

Edited by oligodeoxyhexosulose, 18 July 2023 - 06:47 AM.

#44 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 09:50 AM

View PostDestroyer69, on 13 June 2023 - 08:44 AM, said:

Seriously, the damage seems different, mechs seem weaker, I feel like cheating is enabled for the other team. Anyone else notice this?

Keep the snide remarks out of this thread. If you love faction play, go to another thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Your right to some degree damage is different in FP why? Because unlike QP where your only getting hit by maybe 1-2 players average your being hit by 2-8 players in FP on an average and depending on their skill levels and coordination you feel like you're being killed in one shot.

This is the only way I can explain it to you about damage in FP that you can understand the differences in game play between QP and Faction Play. But there was a time in year 1-3 that there were less highly skilled players in FP where teams were more equally matched and game play was much more fun than today's Faction Play games.

And of course you had 500,000 more players in FP so you did not run onto the same high-level teams all the time in game play like you do now with only a few thousand players still playing this game mode because of team stomping and baby seal killing until players refuse to play the game mode and just leave FP completely and telling other players in QP it is not worth playing FP because of these reasons.

Edited by KingCobra, 02 September 2023 - 09:53 AM.

#45 Lukas den Hau

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 November 2023 - 01:46 PM

I agree with KingCobra, FP was once the most enjoyable mode everybody worked for. For QP you only need one mech in a good configuration. But for FP you need one, preferably two or more drop decks. In the beginning of FP, the matches were more balanced due to the bigger player base, new maps and less weapons. And there were fewer mechs with good hardpoints. Altogether it made it easier for casuals to compete, making it more fun.
While configuration of a mech makes a lot of fun, it increases the chance of quick/insta kills a lot in FP. Maybe PIG should add a classic mode of FP, where you are only allowed to choose predefined stock mechs. Quick kills in an assassin equiped with only a medium laser, a LRM-5 and a SRM-2 will be very hard to achieve;-) The good player would still win, but the casual would have more time to respond and would surely have more fun in FP. If you choose an Omni as Clan, one possibility could be, that you can configure it, but would get one drops less per Omni (resembling the bidding process). Just an idea.

#46 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 November 2023 - 05:38 PM

View PostLukas den Hau, on 22 November 2023 - 01:46 PM, said:

I agree with KingCobra, FP was once the most enjoyable mode everybody worked for. For QP you only need one mech in a good configuration. But for FP you need one, preferably two or more drop decks. In the beginning of FP, the matches were more balanced due to the bigger player base, new maps and less weapons. And there were fewer mechs with good hardpoints. Altogether it made it easier for casuals to compete, making it more fun.
While configuration of a mech makes a lot of fun, it increases the chance of quick/insta kills a lot in FP. Maybe PIG should add a classic mode of FP, where you are only allowed to choose predefined stock mechs. Quick kills in an assassin equiped with only a medium laser, a LRM-5 and a SRM-2 will be very hard to achieve;-) The good player would still win, but the casual would have more time to respond and would surely have more fun in FP. If you choose an Omni as Clan, one possibility could be, that you can configure it, but would get one drops less per Omni (resembling the bidding process). Just an idea.

Clan 'mechs would smash Inner Sphere stock builds, despite the balance changes to MWO. Clan 'mechs were much better optimized "out of the box" in the original game, so they'd just tear through default Inner Sphere configurations, even now.

#47 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 November 2023 - 05:42 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 17 July 2023 - 11:27 PM, said:

A lot of randoms I dropped with had a good time and where quite thankfull for tipps and calls. The one with omg this is bad moments where usually boreal attack,

I still have rage-inducing flashbacks to the Clanner Skyline Laser Rave from Back in the Day... My unit was Inner Sphere, and that map was hellish on the attack.

#48 Jugger Grimrod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General III
  • General III
  • 263 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAddicks, Fed Suns

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:32 PM

I miss the days of Units tagging Planets... farming MC into Unit Coffers... which we could then pass on to Unit Members... that they could then spend on Heroes, Mech Bays, Mech Packs, etc. The Map had meaning... once.

#49 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 10:34 AM

View PostJugger Grimrod, on 07 December 2023 - 06:32 PM, said:

I miss the days of Units tagging Planets... farming MC into Unit Coffers... which we could then pass on to Unit Members... that they could then spend on Heroes, Mech Bays, Mech Packs, etc. The Map had meaning... once.

For me, I miss the community aspect of it. You had players making their own Operations, Faction based smack-talk, players coming over from different teamspeak servers and what not, choosing which faction to attack and players making their own media about it. Sure, it may have had its flaws, but the passion it sparked was amazing. Sure it was "spacenerd" politics, but I'd rather have that instead. Now all we have is this stupid excuse of a replacement called Faction Play or as I like to call it, "Fail Play". Even looking at the map pisses me off to no end knowing the fact we have an underutilized Clan Homeworlds and no Periphery worlds from the Taurian Concordat, Magistracy of Canopus and Marian Hegemony. This, along with the 11 years of stagnation of the game and the fact it regressed into COD with mechs are why I refer to MWO as "Many Wasted Opportunities" instead of Mechwarrior Online and showcases why I gave up playing the game entirely and spending money on it.

The Battle of Wazan was the best hallmark of MWO:
Posted Image

Edited by Will9761, 13 December 2023 - 10:00 PM.

#50 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 01:06 AM

im sure there are too many cheaters in FP which makes it off balance, i call cheating also when certain effects are turned off (not from the ingame menu of course)

#51 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2023 - 06:34 PM

So... after approximately 2 months back into the game after a long break I finally got to the point where I started looking around (and asking in QP) if faction play was still a thing. I have to say I received mostly negative feedback which was a bit disheartening.

I have several drop decks from 2014-21 because even though my skill level is low I really enjoyed jumping into FP as a mercenary - mostly getting stomped but always having fun - 'cuz for me it added to the ambience/lore/feeling of the game. It's the comradery of the thing - it is only a game after all - that I enjoyed. Fond memories of seeing an entire lance of piranhas camping our spawn point and chewing us to bits in seconds Posted Image. I had hoped that this thread would encourage me to take out a wrench and tweak my decks... but that's not the vibe I'm getting here. If someone can point me to a more hopeful thread I'd be much obliged!

#52 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 December 2023 - 07:26 PM

There's not been much activity in Faction Warfare; many of us don't play - but if you had fun before, don't be afraid to check it out. I haven't done FW for a while because the games take more time, but you won't know unless you try it yourself.

#53 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 01:51 AM

Sadly the way the current mm works u can't get matches until EU or NA prime (even if there are enough players, it's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy, because no one wants to be the first guy in empty que). So thinks start only with a group kicking in action. The negative feedback from QP players mostly comes from a wait times (and don't understand how the que works) sitting in empty que or imbalanced teams (often related to lack of homework in mechlab/ skill level). If u had fun before, u will have again. Meta has shifted a bit more to trading and long range (balancing is sadly mostly for QP environment where everyone runs to the middle to run in circles). Teams (at least in EU Prime) are far more fragmented (premades are rare), but some high skilled individuals, so don't be surprised if u get smashed a lot.

Keep an eye open for the units / players U regularly end up in a match with. Most groups pick up randoms if they don't act like special snowflakes.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 13 December 2023 - 01:58 AM.

#54 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2023 - 11:22 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 12 December 2023 - 07:26 PM, said:

There's not been much activity in Faction Warfare; many of us don't play - but if you had fun before, don't be afraid to check it out. I haven't done FW for a while because the games take more time, but you won't know unless you try it yourself.

I think I'll tweak my decks a bit for range (I note a definite lack of mid-range and brawlers in QP) and give it a go. Thanks.

#55 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2023 - 11:27 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 13 December 2023 - 01:51 AM, said:

Sadly the way the current mm works u can't get matches until EU or NA prime (even if there are enough players, it's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy, because no one wants to be the first guy in empty que). So thinks start only with a group kicking in action. The negative feedback from QP players mostly comes from a wait times (and don't understand how the que works) sitting in empty que or imbalanced teams (often related to lack of homework in mechlab/ skill level). If u had fun before, u will have again. Meta has shifted a bit more to trading and long range (balancing is sadly mostly for QP environment where everyone runs to the middle to run in circles). Teams (at least in EU Prime) are far more fragmented (premades are rare), but some high skilled individuals, so don't be surprised if u get smashed a lot.

Keep an eye open for the units / players U regularly end up in a match with. Most groups pick up randoms if they don't act like special snowflakes.

Thanks for the insights. As I mentioned above, I'll need to tweak my mechs a bit. I still drop in brawlers during QP but normally get chewed up by assaults packed with ERL and Gauss - until I can catch em not looking Posted Image.

Do you recommend I try for the EU queue? Normally the difference in ping is not that different (for me) than NA.

Edited by CrustyMech, 13 December 2023 - 11:28 AM.

#56 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 December 2023 - 02:04 PM

View PostCrustyMech, on 13 December 2023 - 11:27 AM, said:

Thanks for the insights. As I mentioned above, I'll need to tweak my mechs a bit. I still drop in brawlers during QP but normally get chewed up by assaults packed with ERL and Gauss - until I can catch em not looking Posted Image.

Do you recommend I try for the EU queue? Normally the difference in ping is not that different (for me) than NA.

In quickplay? I check the boxes for both NA and EU servers. Play styles are more or less similar.

#57 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 13 December 2023 - 03:32 PM

View PostBaba Yogi, on 17 July 2023 - 08:55 PM, said:

it's horrible because the "balance' they say between clan and IS is actually a inbalance with IS favored so IS will almost always win because it almost always breaks out into a brawl and clans do not have a good amount of brawling mechs or weapons.

#58 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 December 2023 - 05:40 PM

Lolno.

Clans have a ton of brawling 'mechs, particularly these days. They've also always had good brawling weapons - see also: Clan Medium Pulse Laser, Clan Ultra Autocannon 10, Clan Ultra Autocannon 20. Even on release, Clans had good brawling setups available; they just never used them because their long-range guns were so much better - then cried that they weren't quite as good as the best IS brawlers.

Now some people say balance has swapped, with the Inner Sphere holding the advantage (in Faction Warfare.) That might be true, but I'll believe it when I see it myself. The same people crying about Clan balance now were crying about it when Clans released - literally claiming that on-release Clantech was underpowered because they couldn't downgrade their XL engines to boat even more hyper-effective guns. It was bad. For those of you who might not have been around that long, the Clantech of today are the result of multiple rounds of nerfing - and the Clan MPL is still one of the best weapons in the game.

So when people say the same thing no matter what happens to their favorite faction - for years - even when it's still competitive after multiple rounds of nerfing... Well, I start taking that with a grain of salt, as the saying goes.

(Also, KursedVixen... are you really that hard up for opportunities to harp on this subject that you're responding to a comment from last summer, by a poster who hasn't logged in for two weeks?)

#59 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 13 December 2023 - 05:50 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 13 December 2023 - 05:40 PM, said:

(Also, KursedVixen... are you really that hard up for opportunities to harp on this subject that you're responding to a comment from last summer, by a poster who hasn't logged in for two weeks?)

Clantech of today are the result of [ rounds of nerfing

You know the saying, don't feed the troll? you just fed the troll.

and thanks for proving my point.

Edited by KursedVixen, 13 December 2023 - 05:51 PM.

#60 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 13 December 2023 - 06:03 PM

Oh, but I didn't prove anything - that's why you had to deceptively edit the quote, and omit the facts you wish to ignore. As you always do. Bad faith argument is just a fancy way of lying, Vix.

I'm not "feeding the troll" by challenging your nonsense; people in this thread are wanting to explore the game mode, and you're telling them lies to feed your dishonest desire to have Clantech buffed to tabletop canon values. Stop it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users