Patch Notes - 1.4.281.0 - 22-August-2023

325 replies to this topic

#81 JumpingHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:24 PM

View Postw0qj, on 19 August 2023 - 04:42 AM, said:

Have you ever been hit with Stalker STK-4N with 6x Large Laser alpha?
Let's just say... it's very painful... Posted Image

Yeah, now we're gonna have about same number of double large lasers on most assaults, because apparently laservomit meta wasn't strong enough already...

Edited by JumpingHunter, 19 August 2023 - 02:24 PM.

#82 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:24 PM

So...I've heard one or more of the following (with various variations o the respective themes) said by more than one high percentage player including the occasional Cauldron member:

LRMs are a waste.
LRMs are a crap weapon.
LRMs only contribute ineffective damage at the best of times
LRMs are a low skill weapon
etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I hate LRMs because I hate all lock on weapons, plus the fact that they are boring, but if LRMs are such crap why are they getting a velocity nerf (any nerf)? I see the slight ECM node nerf to clam ECM builds, but that doesn't really equate to a need to nerf all LRMs in this manner. To me this is a crap weapon getting a nerf and I don't understand why. I guess they were OP after all?

#83 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:32 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 19 August 2023 - 05:32 AM, said:

Holy balls they nerfed clan ecm? Hoooo boy are there gonna be some nasty posts incoming once this fully percolates through the tryhard community. Wonder if this was a cauldron thing or pgi because most of cauldron simply ~adore~ their clan ecm wallflower snipers or cobbled together omni ecm mechs with cherry picked pods for the strongest bonus and hardpoints. IS can't do that and its ecm mechs are all hit and miss. Good change but its gonna be hella unpopular to many.

Clan ECM nerf is being done BY the exact tryhard community you're alluding to. Insofar as I can tell, they want this. They voted for it, and they implemented it.

View PostPraetorGix, on 18 August 2023 - 07:59 PM, said:

Why the F are only clan mechs being nerfed on the ECM nodes??? WTF? And nobody even posted a mention about it? How is everyone fine with that? What were these Gulag people thinking? And it's a very substantial nerf at that, why?

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 19 August 2023 - 04:55 AM, said:

Why only Clans?

See my earlier post for an explanation of why Cauldron would have done this.
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6505653
In short:
IS ECM mechs = not so pervasive
Clan ECM mechs = friggin' everywhere all the time

[...] nerfed on the ECM nodes??? WTF? [...] And it's a very substantial nerf at that, why?

View PostRunecarver, on 19 August 2023 - 03:21 AM, said:

Nothing is actually changing since a 3.5% reduction per node, for a total of 7%, will still mean a skilled out ECM reduces sensor ranges by 63%. So those "LrM aPoCaLyPSe" mechs are only spotting CLAN mechs at 378m now, rather than at 307m. Wow, such a MASSIVE nerf to ECM. Give me a break.

I find it funny there's two opposite reactions here. One says ECM nerf is too much, and other says that it amounts to nothing.

Btw, check your maths. Base detection range is 800m. Base ECM reduces detection range by 30%. Innersphere nodes add 40% to that, and Clan adds 33%. Ie, if you have 30+40, that means reducing 800m by 70%.

IS detection range = 240m
Clan detection range = 296m

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 19 August 2023 - 04:55 AM, said:

P.S. And why have you still not done anything to improve the quality of the gameplay, improve the quality of the selection of players in teams? When will you remove the groups from the QP?

MWO does not have a large enough active playerbase to support a dedicated group queue anymore. If you remove groups from QP, then you remove casual grouping from the game entirely, which will lead to significantly more people quitting.

Afaik, PGI has been sliding some programmers over to MWO here and there, and I know Cauldron has been talking to them about having a secondary matchmaking system to improve team balancing. Whether it will ever come to be, I have no idea. But it's on the radar and not a complete impossibility.

View PostMookieDog, on 19 August 2023 - 07:25 AM, said:

Wow comp players got exactly what they wanted the HAG 40, now instead of blue beams sitting in the back, its now going to be bow many HAG's can they stack on, and IS got what short range pulse X garbage.

HAGs are not going to be great as long range snipe weapons. They will be midrange. They have spread like RACs and LBX, and they launch in volleys like UAC do. HAG40 in particular has a 0.88 volley duration. This makes it extremely difficult to land consistent shots on moving targets at similar ranges as Gauss, ERLL, and ERPPC.

Don't forget IS is getting Binary Laser which is just straight powercreep for their laservomit builds as it stands.

View PostC337Skymaster, on 19 August 2023 - 02:57 AM, said:

Uhm.... MAD 4A w/ 8 BLC's? Will that even work? It was terrifying enough with 8 regular large lasers.

The max you can fit is 7, but you don't even have tonnage for that much. Even with 6BL you're running LE295 with only 13DHS which is wayyyyyyy too hot.

5BL might be decent. You get LE300 and 17DHS, you can fire it as 3+2 thanks to HSL quirk for LL family.
Here's the build: https://mwo.nav-alph...5412c535_MAD-4A
MechDB doesn't have binaries yet, so replace these HPPCs with binaries and there will be room for the fifth in the end.

View PostJumpingHunter, on 19 August 2023 - 03:31 AM, said:

Im afraid that both Heavy PPC and Large Laser are going to be super obsolete now. [...]
Even if Binary Laser is not PPFLD, it's still FAR more convenient than HPPC

View PostJumpingHunter, on 19 August 2023 - 03:23 AM, said:

Binary Laser Cannon seems legitimately OP, from a perspective of a PPC user. Heavy PPC is now obsolete and useless in most of the situations, as Binary Laser does practically everything better than Heavy PPC.
[...]
And to anybody who will say that you can poptart with HPPC - you also can do that with lasers. And Binary Laser has short enough duration to be viable poptart weapon. Even HLL poptarting is effective

Anybody who thinks you can poptart with cHLL does not understand the benefits that come from poptarting.

It's about minimum exposure - you only need to clear your cockpit and your weapon mount for an instant, and bam you can deal all the damage to a component with one click. Lasers by contrast require you to expose for the entire duration of the burn and also hold it on target.

Do cHLL make cERPPC obsolete? They weigh two tons less, have better damage per heat, and significantly more pinpoint damage.

No.

And neither will BL compete with HPPC. *They are different roles.*

That said, I feel like HPPC is a little bit weak in general these days with all the armour buffs, DPS buffs, and alpha buffs. Introduction of BL doesn't really change that.

[...] chamberpot ... design power creeped legendaries for PGI that invalidate pretty much all regular variants of a chassis as well as the hero variant

Cauldron has said before that half of the Legendary mech designs come from PGI themselves. They were not all designed by Cauldron, and PGI specifically wanted Legendaries to be very strong.

#84 Rhaelcan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:23 PM

View Post0 Damage, on 18 August 2023 - 10:53 PM, said:

You killed machine guns. Now decided to finish off the LRM?

Machine guns aren't dead, are you ok?

#85 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 737 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:27 PM

View PostTarogato, on 18 August 2023 - 09:22 PM, said:

The vast majority of IS mechs that have ECM are actually pretty awful.

Let's list the actually okay ones:

FLE-15
UM-R80
HSN-hero
PXH-1B
PXH-2
ENF-hero
GRF-2N
MAD-9M
STK-3Fb
NSR-10P
MAD-4L

and i suppose you could debate WLF-hero, AS7-K3, Thannies...

Here's all the clan mechs that are good with ECM:

ACH
KFX
COU
SHC
BKL
HBR
SNS
NTG
TBR
BAS
DWF

You'll notice these are all omnimechs that you see all the time, and often with their ECM equipped. They're capable of a variety of builds with the ECM, at a variety of ranges, and they are largely top performing mechs. Whereas the IS mechs that are okay with ECM are very limited in the builds they can run, and you don't see them all that often in game.

So yeah, Clan ECM proliferation is a problem. IS ECM is not.

Let's suppose I agree with you on everything, which I don't because the only two mechs I see, in your own words "all the time" are the Dire Whale and the Shadow Cat. To a lesser extent Asps and Hellbringers. Maybe it's a tier difference issue but my point stands.
Still IMO, the problem are not these chassis, it's ECM itself. And don't be disingenuous saying that Stealth armor cost you so much heat dissipation it's actually bad; the Fleas and Commandos biting at your back CT armor laugh their butts off at the supposed "heat cost" and are much more dangerous than any Dire Wolf mounting ECM.
So I'm going to repeat myself, if ECM is the problem, you nerf ECM, you don't nerf ONLY clan mechs. Heck, you wanna throw IS a bone? Make IS ECM weigh 1 ton and take 1 slot, done.
But even then, if for some reason you want to shaft only clan players you don't cut 3,5% off each node. From 40% reduction to 33%, that's a ridiculous 17.5% reduction in functionality for Fs sake. But funnily enough, meanwhile Radar Derp got a miserable 1% nerf per node after years of waiting, and is still pissing off players but no one does anything about it...

And this is more of a tangent but, your explanation, that is very well laid out regardless of what I think about it; or some kind of explanation, should be included in the patch notes when changes like this go live, so at least one has an idea of where these nerfs are coming from. This shouldn't be revealed only after someone gets mad in the forums. And no, I'm not supposed to be obligated to join the Cauldron Discord and dig in the channels just to be privy to information that again, should be easily available to anyone who plays the game in the game's official forums.

#86 Rhaelcan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:29 PM

View PostRunecarver, on 19 August 2023 - 03:21 AM, said:

Except thats a load of dung and nonsense. Nothing is actually changing since a 3.5% reduction per node, for a total of 7%, will still mean a skilled out ECM reduces sensor ranges by 63%. So those "LrM aPoCaLyPSe" mechs are only spotting CLAN mechs at 378m now, rather than at 307m. Wow, such a MASSIVE nerf to ECM. Give me a break. Clan ER mediums have optimum ranges longer than that, so they'll STILL BE INVISIBLE. ECM is still a massive ez mode umbrella, and IS ECM is still giving that 70% sensor range reduction benefit to all allies within 120 meters.

And while the clowns of the chamberpot pretend like LRMs receiving anything beneficial would lead to an "apocalypse" they'll happily super quirk mechs, design power creeped legendaries for PGI that invalidate pretty much all regular variants of a chassis as well as the hero variant, and make lasers, PPCs and ballistics vomit out more damage than their own super survival quirks can compensate for.

I'd love to see how you think you can balance the game, since they seem to be doing a better job than a lot of people right now, which is keeping the game ALIVE for damn sake.

View PostPraetorGix, on 19 August 2023 - 03:27 PM, said:

Let's suppose I agree with you on everything, which I don't because the only two mechs I see, in your own words "all the time" are the Dire Whale and the Shadow Cat. To a lesser extent Asps and Hellbringers. Maybe it's a tier difference issue but my point stands.
Still IMO, the problem are not these chassis, it's ECM itself. And don't be disingenuous saying that Stealth armor cost you so much heat dissipation it's actually bad; the Fleas and Commandos biting at your back CT armor laugh their butts off at the supposed "heat cost" and are much more dangerous than any Dire Wolf mounting ECM.
So I'm going to repeat myself, if ECM is the problem, you nerf ECM, you don't nerf ONLY clan mechs. Heck, you wanna throw IS a bone? Make IS ECM weigh 1 ton and take 1 slot, done.
But even then, if for some reason you want to shaft only clan players you don't cut 3,5% off each node. From 40% reduction to 33%, that's a ridiculous 17.5% reduction in functionality for Fs sake. But funnily enough, meanwhile Radar Derp got a miserable 1% nerf per node after years of waiting, and is still pissing off players but no one does anything about it...

And this is more of a tangent but, your explanation, that is very well laid out regardless of what I think about it; or some kind of explanation, should be included in the patch notes when changes like this go live, so at least one has an idea of where these nerfs are coming from. This shouldn't be revealed only after someone gets mad in the forums. And no, I'm not supposed to be obligated to join the Cauldron Discord and dig in the channels just to be privy to information that again, should be easily available to anyone who plays the game in the game's official forums.

Welp. guess we can't convince the forum warriors about how slowly introducing balance changes to some stuff to see how they work for a month is a good idea.

#87 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:43 PM

>75% Weapon Velocity to NVA-A

Since at the moment the only velocity-based weapon the NVA-A can mount with stockpods is CERPPC...

Wait. We're getting Plasma soon aren't we?

Awwww yeah.

View PostRhaelcan, on 19 August 2023 - 03:29 PM, said:

I'd love to see how you think you can balance the game, since they seem to be doing a better job than a lot of people right now, which is keeping the game ALIVE for damn sake.

Welp. guess we can't convince the forum warriors about how slowly introducing balance changes to some stuff to see how they work for a month is a good idea.

I'm happy things are being done at all. I want to see if they can do more. HAGs, XPLs and Blazers are more than we thought we'd get not that long ago.

Gib Plasma pls. Maybe PPC caps too. Magshots? MMLs? PMACs/LACs? Mortars? VSPs? Alternate munition versions of stuff (since ammo switch won't happen)?

Maybe more nonweapon stuff will come about. Bloodhound/Angel? If they can figure out how to decouple Gyro from Engine (might be doable, might not), Compact/XL Gyros? Small Cockpits, Torso Cockpits?

Who knows what they'll figure out in a year.

Edited by the check engine light, 19 August 2023 - 03:48 PM.

#88 Far Reach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:45 PM

I wonder how the new weapons will function, surely HAG's will have a ramp-up?
Still, neat.

#89 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:49 PM

View PostFar Reach, on 19 August 2023 - 03:45 PM, said:

I wonder how the new weapons will function, surely HAG's will have a ramp-up?
Still, neat.
They have a charge up last i looked like gauss.

Though I wish they had gone with my idea where they charge first and act almost exactly like Racs so you can stop firing mid way through the firing cycle but the "RaC" like bar does not drop and you can resume with small charge up time and resume the rest of the shells... only once the bar fills should the cooldown start ,but we'll have to see.

Edited by KursedVixen, 19 August 2023 - 03:51 PM.

#90 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:51 PM

View PostTarogato, on 19 August 2023 - 02:32 PM, said:

Clan ECM nerf is being done BY the exact tryhard community you're alluding to. Insofar as I can tell, they want this. They voted for it, and they implemented it.

Cauldron might be made up of some members of the tryhard community but they are not the entire community. In game people are already complaining hard. I mean thats ok because I agree with the nerf as clan ecm is more or less spammed in every match due to the ease of wedging in an ecm pod. Something had to change. I'd even go so far as to knock 5% off IS ecm and 10% off clam maybe even a shave more. If you want to hide in plain sight use stealth armor. This is coming from someone who simply ~adores~ his fle20..

View Postthe check engine light, on 19 August 2023 - 03:43 PM, said:

Since at the moment the only velocity-based weapon the NVA-A can mount with stockpods is CERPPC...

This is going to be interesting with a 105% total velocity bonus with quirks and skills. Posted Image

nva-a

Edited by Meep Meep, 19 August 2023 - 04:53 PM.

#91 Rhaelcan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:10 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 19 August 2023 - 03:43 PM, said:

Wait. We're getting Plasma soon aren't we?

Awwww yeah.

I'm happy things are being done at all. I want to see if they can do more. HAGs, XPLs and Blazers are more than we thought we'd get not that long ago.

Gib Plasma pls. Maybe PPC caps too. Magshots? MMLs? PMACs/LACs? Mortars? VSPs? Alternate munition versions of stuff (since ammo switch won't happen)?

Maybe more nonweapon stuff will come about. Bloodhound/Angel? If they can figure out how to decouple Gyro from Engine (might be doable, might not), Compact/XL Gyros? Small Cockpits, Torso Cockpits?

Who knows what they'll figure out in a year.

I don't think we will get plasma, cause it gives heat at long range.

#92 TW-Luna

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:10 PM

Can we stop trying to force all Clan Omni builds to use So8 with utterly ridiculous cooldown and velocity bonuses? Looking at near 50% cooldown reduction, or velocity increases, or +5% heat reduction now with every So8 change in the last few patches.

The whole charm of the Omnimechs is the diversity allowed through mix and matching pods, not to feel completely gimped cause you turned down massive weapon buffs to do so. It's going to get to the point where everything might as well just be a Battlemech if the game's balance continues towards these massive buffs on So8s.

Might not feel like a huge mistake, but I do think it's a lingering mistake having moved from So6 bonuses to So8; or even just having So8 bonuses at all.

#93 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:13 PM

View PostTW-Luna, on 19 August 2023 - 05:10 PM, said:

Can we stop trying to force all Clan Omni builds to use So8 with utterly ridiculous cooldown and velocity bonuses? Looking at near 50% cooldown reduction, or velocity increases, or +5% heat reduction now with every So8 change in the last few patches.

The whole charm of the Omnimechs is the diversity allowed through mix and matching pods, not to feel completely gimped cause you turned down massive weapon buffs to do so. It's going to get to the point where everything might as well just be a Battlemech if the game's balance continues towards these massive buffs on So8s.

Might not feel like a huge mistake, but I do think it's a lingering mistake having moved from So6 bonuses to So8; or even just having So8 bonuses at all.
yeah i never liked the s08 stuff in the first place it was just another way to stifle creativy ot builds.

#94 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,422 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:17 PM

I've previously proposed that if/when IS Omnimechs come out,
then Clan Omnimechs' set bonus should be relaxed to SO7 or even SO6 (it's presently SO8).

#95 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:49 PM

Can we stop trying to force all Clan Omni builds to use So8 with utterly ridiculous cooldown and velocity bonuses?

View PostKursedVixen, on 19 August 2023 - 05:13 PM, said:

yeah i never liked the s08 stuff in the first place it was just another way to stifle creativy ot builds.

Are you guys allergic to fun?

The ability to mix and match omnipods is preserved. In fact, mixed pod builds are so far superior that it takes such massive quirks to make many So8 builds even playable at all.

For instance, Gargoyle is getting 45% CD on ballistic So8 because that's how much quirk it takes to make people even consider playing builds like that at all on a Gargoyle. Why ever do that when you could just play legomech and stack energy pods? Well, Cauldron is attempting to GIVE you a reason to run stock pods - this opens up new unique builds that otherwise wouldn't be worth playing, and is a nod to the lore because ... well, stock build flavour.

This also gives you reasons to buy/own different variants of omnimechs. Instead of just having Gargoyle with energy CT, and the rest being useless, now you'll have some Gargoyles you might want to own to run ballistics.

Fwiw, I don't think these quirks will be strong enough. I'll test them out, and probably shelve the mechs again because energy boat Gargoyle is just that much better.

The new incoming legend Viper is the first time So6 has ever been tried. Such a thing has never existed in game before, everything is So8 bonuses until now.

#96 TW-Luna

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 06:25 PM

View PostTarogato, on 19 August 2023 - 05:49 PM, said:

The new incoming legend Viper is the first time So6 has ever been tried. Such a thing has never existed in game before, everything is So8 bonuses until now.

Seems I was mistaken, I was thinking back when writing the post and thought I remembered there originally being So6 bonuses that was changed to So8.

#97 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 August 2023 - 07:36 PM

Thank you for the Rifleman hardpoint fix! I haven't played my Dao Breaker for a while, but it definitely will look visually better with the weapons now!

EDIT: Umm, doesn't look like this changed. Mine is still loading the first energy in the bottom slot on the left arm. I dropped in testing grounds, same there, and back in mechlab too.

Oh and the mech paperdoll update? Bravo! Needed this for 10 years!

Will we see any minor updates to maps soon? I'd like to see some small changes to a number of them. Or some larger fixes to the more problematic ones.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 21 August 2023 - 05:55 PM.

#98 BountyHunteer

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 08:23 PM

View PostTarogato, on 19 August 2023 - 05:49 PM, said:

Are you guys allergic to fun?

The ability to mix and match omnipods is preserved. In fact, mixed pod builds are so far superior that it takes such massive quirks to make many So8 builds even playable at all.

For instance, Gargoyle is getting 45% CD on ballistic So8 because that's how much quirk it takes to make people even consider playing builds like that at all on a Gargoyle. Why ever do that when you could just play legomech and stack energy pods? Well, Cauldron is attempting to GIVE you a reason to run stock pods - this opens up new unique builds that otherwise wouldn't be worth playing, and is a nod to the lore because ... well, stock build flavour.

This also gives you reasons to buy/own different variants of omnimechs. Instead of just having Gargoyle with energy CT, and the rest being useless, now you'll have some Gargoyles you might want to own to run ballistics.

Fwiw, I don't think these quirks will be strong enough. I'll test them out, and probably shelve the mechs again because energy boat Gargoyle is just that much better.

It also is getting So4

#99 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,122 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 08:30 PM

View PostRhaelcan, on 19 August 2023 - 05:10 PM, said:

I don't think we will get plasma, cause it gives heat at long range.

Oh. Right.

#100 RaTMaN203

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 August 2023 - 09:38 PM

Hi,

I feel like the PXH-3S got nerfed and I feel like I never see anyone playing it. I play it and actually love using it with large pulse lasers.

Now it has 5% less cooldown, 10% laser duration removed and All range buffs removed.

To me it seem like a mech that doesn't get played much at all received a nerf.

The speed you could shoot 3 large pulse lasers at was to me the only real reason to use the mech ( It's very tough to fit it all in but can be done), but I guess we will see what happens with the new weapons added. They might give it a new reason to use it.

That aside, I'm excited to see all the new changes and additions in action.

Thank you for continuing to add new content!

Regards
RaTMaN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users