227 replies to this topic

#1 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 September 2023 - 03:17 AM

A few things I did not know were legal. Hopefully it finally gets addressed if enough people abuse it.

#2 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 03:54 AM

Isn't everything in that file legal? I was in impression that if you can do it then it is not blocked by PGI = legal?

edit: PS. What stuff are you talking about more specifically?

Edited by Curccu, 01 September 2023 - 03:55 AM.

#3 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 September 2023 - 03:56 AM

View PostCurccu, on 01 September 2023 - 03:54 AM, said:

Isn't everything in that file legal? I was in impression that if you can do it then it is not blocked by PGI = legal?

edit: PS. What stuff are you talking about more specifically?

According to the TOS its legal. The two main settings remove all water and non collision mapped vegetation. Lets just say it really clears up the view. Posted Image

#4 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 04:22 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 01 September 2023 - 03:56 AM, said:

According to the TOS its legal. The two main settings remove all water and non collision mapped vegetation. Lets just say it really clears up the view. Posted Image

Yeah I was watching the video right now and just got to veggie part and yeah that feels cheating, that setting should be blocked.
And I do hate those trees very much but still.

#5 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 01 September 2023 - 06:51 AM

Hmmm

dont like idea of victory, using such things

should be blocked

#6 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 01 September 2023 - 07:59 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 01 September 2023 - 03:56 AM, said:

Sounds really fair...Posted Image

Seriously, if you guys need to stick to such means... no, I am better quiet now.

Edited by Weeny Machine, 01 September 2023 - 08:00 AM.

#7 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,129 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 08:02 AM

I'll be honest this is depressing. But it is an option for everyone, so might as well take it. You know they will.

Edited by the check engine light, 01 September 2023 - 08:03 AM.

#8 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 September 2023 - 08:28 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 01 September 2023 - 08:02 AM, said:

I'll be honest this is depressing. But it is an option for everyone, so might as well take it. You know they will.

Given the opportunity, players will kill the fun if it gives them a chance to optimize something. Have a relatively good looking game with pretty cool environments? Give a player the chance to turn that all off so they can click the bad robot easier and they're going to do it every time.

It is the designer's job to not let us do that. We have to be protected from ourselves.

#9 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,780 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 September 2023 - 12:15 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 01 September 2023 - 07:59 AM, said:

Sounds really fair...Posted Image Seriously, if you guys need to stick to such means... no, I am better quiet now.

By all means pitch a beech. I only linked this video because the only way to get it plugged up is to spread it far and wide and force it to be plugged up. Comp was already under fire for the binary hsl error this is just going to pile onto that. So if you are running comp this year make sure you use it and let EVERYONE know you are using it and its legal.

It also neatly explains why I kept getting nailed in ecm mechs at range when I was 'hidden' in a ton of vegetation and trees. Posted Image

Edited by Meep Meep, 01 September 2023 - 12:17 PM.

#10 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 12:27 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 01 September 2023 - 12:15 PM, said:

It also neatly explains why I kept getting nailed in ecm mechs at range when I was 'hidden' in a ton of vegetation and trees. Posted Image

Jup, exactly this. This is actually a huge advantage because it can decide if you can sneak up on someone and core him or if he turns and fires a salvo in your face. You can also take clearer shots on mech parts because less vegetation is hindering your view.

You see, when I consider that people need to run a comp group with meta mechs in QP and even that is not enough but they also need to use these "tricks" to perform better...disgusting, simply disgusting. Most likely they need to compensate something by being good at niche video game by using every advantage they can get. When I consider some smug posts here flavoured "we are pro comp players, the rest sucks" or "You don't understand, we are pro comp players and we know better what we talk about" geez...I wonder if they realize how pathetic they really are. I feel only contempt for these people.

Edited by Weeny Machine, 01 September 2023 - 01:17 PM.

#11 haxmachine20

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 12:57 PM

This community continues to prove to me on how underhanded and dishonest it is, and how much it is willing to exploit anything for an advantage. I understand changing a color filter or reducing particles, but removing graphical parts from the game is too much.

What would be a bannable offense in basically every other even remotely comp game in existence is legal here.

And people wonder why this game only ever gets 1500-2000 concurrent players online and why hackusations fly.

Absolutely insane.

Edit: Maybe we should include the "Dishonorable" tag above a person's paper doll when they modify core game files, much like how they did that in Mechwarrior 3 when a person activated cheats.

Edited by haxmachine20, 01 September 2023 - 01:18 PM.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 01 September 2023 - 06:58 PM

Comp mode really should enforce not modifying certain files, and either prevent players from joining or require players to launch a more locked down variant of the game where configs are downloaded from PGI's servers. People will always switch certain flavour things off, like extra effects or cockpit glass, but altering the shape of geometry or visibility should not be allowed. Oh well.

#13 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,454 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 September 2023 - 07:20 PM

Was that why the fog was removed from the Sulfurous Rift map?

https://wiki.mwomerc....php?title=Maps
https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes

#14 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 370 posts

Posted 01 September 2023 - 08:03 PM

Sorry, that's garbage. Should be illegal.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,842 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 06:09 AM

i think some of this stuff is here because it can help out players on low spec machines. if you cant block a value maybe clamp it to a specific range, with out of range values being ignored. something to improve peformance would only allowed to be dialed back to a point that can help framerates but without removing the feature completely.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 September 2023 - 06:13 AM.

#16 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 07:01 AM

I know programming on this Frankenstein engine is hard, but i rly dont understand why pretty much must have settings (preventing pop ins are not in the settings / default. Implement some of the important stuff to the settings and then finally block user.cfg (+years late)

#17 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 09:24 AM

Again, some people need all the help they can get.

Posted Image

#18 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 12:53 PM

Normally the very vocal pro comp players are in and lecture you and how you are wrong. The roaring silence speaks for itself. Seriously, this cracks me up Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Weeny Machine, 02 September 2023 - 12:58 PM.

#19 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 370 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:27 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 02 September 2023 - 12:53 PM, said:

Normally the very vocal pro comp players are in and lecture you and how you are wrong. The roaring silence speaks for itself. Seriously, this cracks me up Posted Image Posted Image

I'm willing to bet it's because most of them do this and are completely aware of how much of an unfair advantage it gives. Though I imagine some of them will start popping up with their 'Uh ackshually you suck and should git gud' argument here soon enough.

#20 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 06:11 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 02 September 2023 - 12:53 PM, said:

View PostIhlrath, on 02 September 2023 - 05:27 PM, said:

I'm willing to bet it's because most of them do this and are completely aware of how much of an unfair advantage it gives. Though I imagine some of them will start popping up with their 'Uh ackshually you suck and should git gud' argument here soon enough.

Most maps don't have trees that can be removed with this config so it doesn't change much on most maps. You're still getting outskilled by them so... sorry. Most of the advantages are conferred at long range because you don't get mountains that look larger than they actually are due to LOD issues (this allows mechs to shoot you seemingly from inside a mountain) and you don't get trees blocking your advanced zoom. Some players also get massive invisible buildings throughout the entire map at longer ranges without a config (mining collective for example).

However, I do agree that it can be lame that it allows people to not see trees that someone might be unable to see through otherwise. I know that it effects two maps the most. Forest Colony classic no longer has the small trees that you can walk through and Viridian Bog is quite egregious. The entire under part with lily pads becomes barren without the lily pads. This is actually a huge advantage and quite unfair. The config does not effect trees that can be shot or knocked down however. Anyway, on most maps I don't think it makes much of a difference, so I don't think it's fair to say that this sole advantage makes the "pros" better than you and without it they would be much worse.

It is still a problem though, so the solution here is get PGI to fix the issues people get without a config, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Edited by Bassault, 02 September 2023 - 06:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users