107 replies to this topic

#1 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:26 AM

I'm not a bad player in MWO but not close to the best player by far but for 10+ year I have had for the most part fun in this game. MWO was never for me the game I played for or even desired to play as most of us older MechWarrior 2-4 players expected an updated version of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries with the MekTex Mod installed and everything updated with a new game engine.

We all paid in $5,000000 USD upfront, and we were all fooled and MWO was in fact a World of Tanks clone with Mech skins but this was the past and now MWO is becoming a game that I never wanted to play as it is obviously becoming a one shot kill game as some of these new weapons are so overpowered in 10+ years of MWO game play I have never been one-shot kill so much.

Plus adding teams into SOLO quick play to me has been a horrible experience as there abusing the system with sync dropping and farming teams for fun. Coordinated teams are fun to play on when there in their own MM Que and playing against each other in better balanced game play.

And I personally can tell you playing the same maps over and over each night is horrible PGI needs to get rid of map voting place all the MWO maps old and new and go back to Random map selection Ex least we could play some of the old and new maps each night of game play.

Also PGI has always decided their decisions about this games meta and features based on what the comp, Faction play and Devs and Cauldron wanted and very little of what the normal player base wants.

Now MWO has become a Bad E-SPORT version of WOT or War Thunder which are boring, and this game has become farther from its roots as a true MechWarrior game like Mechwarrior2-4 where and it is sad to see all of its potential wasted that only want an Arcade style one shot one kill game.

AS an Afterthought I can say well Russ you finally got the game you always wanted a clone of an FPS one shot one kill game that we used to play on the MekTek servers long ago with no strategy needed or defensive capabilities and repetitive game play.

P.S what's next? Russ your favorite game play style? NO HEAT UNLIMIED AMMO GAMEPLAY? that will be the end of MWO for sure. And thanks for no real social lobby system for 10+ years.

Edited by KingCobra, 02 September 2023 - 10:29 AM.

#2 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:35 AM

I've joined MWO during the Legendary days, and left (voted with my wallet) when the $500 Gold Khan mech was about to be introduced...

Been back during the past 3 years, and have seen phenomenal changes to MWO for the better...
~New Weapons!
~New mech chassis!
~New maps, many of them...

I've been very excited with these MWO changes!
Looking forward to MWO next year :)

- - - - - - - - - -
P.S. - if you really do feel bored, suggest you to go play another online game for a while, and when you get your mech attack, do feel free to come back to MWO to play more! ;)

#3 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 September 2023 - 10:45 AM

The number one and two reasons I quit was power creep higher and higher alphas and light mech class always getting this shitiest end of things. Look at all the "new" mechs yet where are the new lights? Reskinning old mechs and slaping an () with a bonus just to sell them again for real money this time.

It has been almost a decade since the re-SCALE just to sell 20ts and no indication that it will ever be reverted for lights in the 35ts. ECM is rampant along with mutipile ams on a single mech along with the newest UNNEEDED NERF to lrms has me giving up on my catapults.

I have no reason to play this game or spend any money or my time with it now. My two favorite ways to play the game have in effect been removed. Lights are just a one-shot-free-kill eliminating any use of them unless they are the three stealth lights. LRMs are **** that need TONS of EXTRA crap plus SKILL TREE just to even attempt to get a lock.

#4 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 11:04 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 02 September 2023 - 10:45 AM, said:

The number one and two reasons I quit was power creep higher and higher alphas and light mech class always getting this shitiest end of things. Look at all the "new" mechs yet where are the new lights? Reskinning old mechs and slaping an () with a bonus just to sell them again for real money this time.

It has been almost a decade since the re-SCALE just to sell 20ts and no indication that it will ever be reverted for lights in the 35ts. ECM is rampant along with mutipile ams on a single mech along with the newest UNNEEDED NERF to lrms has me giving up on my catapults.

I have no reason to play this game or spend any money or my time with it now. My two favorite ways to play the game have in effect been removed. Lights are just a one-shot-free-kill eliminating any use of them unless they are the three stealth lights. LRMs are **** that need TONS of EXTRA crap plus SKILL TREE just to even attempt to get a lock.

================================================================================================
I totally agree with you as I now rarely play my lights and medium mechs anymore as well PGI could have done better by giving lights and mediums a little more armor and more defensive ability's and to be honest a few lights could also use a little bit less DPS and crit ability with machine guns or they could have Ex least made back armor on all mechs much higher to compensate for a few lights that do exploit this feature.

PGI needs to have competent people and players around then to really make better decisions about MWO to help the game and not just those players that only want to play the Meta they want to play or the ability to decide what mechs are viable in game play or not.

Good luck and I think the LRM nerfs are totally unwarranted as well leaving many lights, mediums and heavies totally outclassed to long range sniper Meta. Also, the Meta is stale now without LRM midrange and brawling on most maps.

#5 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 11:47 AM

Agree about everything, except map voting. If devs would want to remove map voting - they would need to stop making bad maps first.

#6 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 12:01 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 02 September 2023 - 11:47 AM, said:

Agree about everything, except map voting. If devs would want to remove map voting - they would need to stop making bad maps first.

==================================================================================================
I truly can't say I do not like any of the maps new or old, but the newer maps don't have the same quality as the older maps and I have always been a proponent of random drop point on every map which would have made game play much more dynamic and stopped some of the spawn camping on drop points.

Plus random maps would have been more of a challenge to game play like it once was .

Edited by KingCobra, 02 September 2023 - 12:02 PM.

#7 MrMadguy

• 2,208 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 12:08 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 02 September 2023 - 12:01 PM, said:

==================================================================================================
I truly can't say I do not like any of the maps new or old, but the newer maps don't have the same quality as the older maps and I have always been a proponent of random drop point on every map which would have made game play much more dynamic and stopped some of the spawn camping on drop points.

Plus random maps would have been more of a challenge to game play like it once was .

It depends on Meta, you play. If you play ER-PPC Shadow Cat or something like that - any map is good for you. But if you have any weapons with <700M range, then maps with lack of cover make you completely useless.

#8 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 02 September 2023 - 12:12 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 02 September 2023 - 10:45 AM, said:

Lights definity need more back armor as they will be running more than any other mech weight class.

#9 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 12:19 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 02 September 2023 - 12:08 PM, said:

It depends on Meta, you play. If you play ER-PPC Shadow Cat or something like that - any map is good for you. But if you have any weapons with <700M range, then maps with lack of cover make you completely useless.

================================================================================================
Its great you mentioned this aspect to the game as you are correct to some degree in MW2-MW4 after finishing the solo campaign a lot of players went online and played in leagues. These leagues kept the game play fresh and new by random maps and various game modes as well as rules of game play as in weapons ranges and weight or mech chassis only and of course various mech class or limits per battle ETC.

So, in MWO if you could pick your mech after the map and game mode were announced as we once had this option in MechWarrior and had random weapons range limits and other variable game option and scripts per battle every mech would be a viable option in game play as all mechs once were.

P.S I guess I should be more specific as how this was done in the old MechWarrior games, we had the ability to save various configurations per mech as 6 variants of the same mech chassis names as you like as in long-range,brawling,midrange,lrm,ETC. and when the box came up to pick your mech before the battle started you could pick the mech chassis or configuration as you saw fit per map and battle conditions .

Edited by KingCobra, 02 September 2023 - 12:30 PM.

#10 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 02 September 2023 - 12:51 PM

I agree with most the OP said and would like to emphasize and add some points:

Emphasize: Groups in QP. Seriously, why is this game even fun for those guys? I mean, they use meta mechs, and because a 4-man team is not enough they synch drop and boast with it in the chat, and as the other thread has shown disable parts of the graphics to easily spot you

Add:
1. The weapon balance is horrible. The ranged weapons have uber range and are also deadly in close range. Why use close range weapons anymore?

2. Light mechs - apart from the tiny mechs like 20-25t the 30-35t mechs are too big and easily hit. However, that is not enough, the turning was nerfed with the resizing while the heavies and assaults turn like fat ballerinas. It is extremely hard or even next to impossible to stay out of their firing arc for a meaningful time

Now combine these 2 points and it is: bigger = better

I would go even as fas as that if the only advantage of a 30-35t mech is to get fast from A to B, then you are better off playing a fast medium mech

Overall the gameplay got dull. Sit in a large mech do either sniping from range lololol HAGs or ERLL spam or mid range laser vomit. There is nearly no other gameplay till one side has no significant advantage in numbers

#11 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:21 PM

You don't play lights anymore? It's almost all I play! Do I get 1 shot? Very rarely and that is usually my fault because to stood still. NEVER stand still in a light! If you want to stay in one spot, jitter forward and back. Any incoming fire will be spread across your mechs body or miss.
I agree with the power creep. The new mechs are very op. If ya want to kill them with a light, hit from the back. You probably already know all that, but it bears repeating. Also, if you are skirmishing or even brawling, wait until the fight is fully engaged before joining. Most people tend to ignore shots from behind for a shot or two.

If you or anyone else is leaving the game, sorry to see you go. This community is small enough. We don't need to lose other people.

#12 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:29 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 02 September 2023 - 12:51 PM, said:

I agree with most the OP said and would like to emphasize and add some points:

Emphasize: Groups in QP. Seriously, why is this game even fun for those guys? I mean, they use meta mechs, and because a 4-man team is not enough they synch drop and boast with it in the chat, and as the other thread has shown disable parts of the graphics to easily spot you

Add:
1. The weapon balance is horrible. The ranged weapons have uber range and are also deadly in close range. Why use close range weapons anymore?

2. Light mechs - apart from the tiny mechs like 20-25t the 30-35t mechs are too big and easily hit. However, that is not enough, the turning was nerfed with the resizing while the heavies and assaults turn like fat ballerinas. It is extremely hard or even next to impossible to stay out of their firing arc for a meaningful time

Now combine these 2 points and it is: bigger = better

I would go even as fas as that if the only advantage of a 30-35t mech is to get fast from A to B, then you are better off playing a fast medium mech

Overall the gameplay got dull. Sit in a large mech do either sniping from range lololol HAGs or ERLL spam or mid range laser vomit. There is nearly no other gameplay till one side has no significant advantage in numbers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You said why do these toxic players want to play groups in Solo quick play? Fist off they destroyed Faction play and are still doing it every game mode MWO has had these individuals have basically destroyed. Think of these individuals as GoonSwarm one of the most toxic communities in all gaming.

And it's not all players in these groups but birds of a feather flock together and these individuals have the ears of the Devs old and new so being myself in some of these groups over the years and playing with some of them I can tell you PGI should have gotten rid of them all long ago and never listened to a dang thing they ever said about features of the game itself.

But they are destroyers of good communities and games just like GoonSwarm and they will not stop until a good game is dead.
And yes I could not agree more on the dullness of the game at this point in its history.

#13 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,930 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:35 PM

There's always plenty of bitching to do regarding the state of this game, and I am often one of those doing it. But while I agree with some who say the Cauldron, or whomever is actually in charge of maps and balance has gone to far catering to the long range trading play style, the game is still fun, and just about anything can be viable in the right circumstances.

Well, anything but the Panther 10P; that mech is straight dross.

#14 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:40 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 02 September 2023 - 01:21 PM, said:

You don't play lights anymore? It's almost all I play! Do I get 1 shot? Very rarely and that is usually my fault because to stood still. NEVER stand still in a light! If you want to stay in one spot, jitter forward and back. Any incoming fire will be spread across your mechs body or miss.
I agree with the power creep. The new mechs are very op. If ya want to kill them with a light, hit from the back. You probably already know all that, but it bears repeating. Also, if you are skirmishing or even brawling, wait until the fight is fully engaged before joining. Most people tend to ignore shots from behind for a shot or two.

If you or anyone else is leaving the game, sorry to see you go. This community is small enough. We don't need to lose other people.

=================================================================================================
I agree to a point on what you said sir, but you already know you are very highly skilled pilot and are the exception to the rule most poor light and medium players right now are almost one shot kills or so highly damaged by these new OP weapons it's a two shot kill.

The time to live in battle now is becoming quite short compared to before the new OP weapons PGI need to rebalance them quickly to align with most mechs armor and defensive ability which already is quite low.

And yes, I agree PGI needs to change course and make the time to live in battles longer with making the armor really work of better defensive quirks.

P.S and also making all mech hare a faster reverse speed to be able to once again dodge incoming fire like we did in past MechWarrior games.

#15 Oh My God Chandler Bing

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:47 PM

Lights are easy mode right now lol.

#16 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 01:50 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 September 2023 - 01:35 PM, said:

There's always plenty of bitching to do regarding the state of this game, and I am often one of those doing it. But while I agree with some who say the Cauldron, or whomever is actually in charge of maps and balance has gone to far catering to the long range trading play style, the game is still fun, and just about anything can be viable in the right circumstances.

Well, anything but the Panther 10P; that mech is straight dross.

Bud the game is still fun to a degree yes and the Cauldron are only one faction in the equation in the MWO reality of game play problems. And you're talking about a Russ Bollock quote long ago when the players of MWO respected him for making this game and trusted in his ability to make features and game play they desired to play with in reason but he literally destroyed the old player base of MechWarrior with his comments and actions and 500,000 players uninstalled the game.

To this day I cannot understand why he did this as he lost millions of revenue with his decisions and actions. Most were huge Cash Cows that spent hundreds of USD a month what a waste.

#17 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,930 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 September 2023 - 02:04 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 02 September 2023 - 01:50 PM, said:

And you're talking about a Russ Bollock quote long ago when the players of MWO respected him for making this game and trusted in his ability to make features and game play they desired to play with in reason but he literally destroyed the old player base of MechWarrior with his comments and actions and 500,000 players uninstalled the game.

Just as an FYI: That quote is from a production update that Russ gave where he stated that 8v8 GQ would not be continued/allowed as the community didn't ask for it loud enough (ALL OF US WHO PLAYED GQ WERE ASKING FOR 8v8!), and that Solaris development would be emphasized over CW for similar reasons (how'd that work out?). While Russ said what he said, I keep that quote as a signature as a reminder of his disingenuousness (not to mention his short sighted stupidity, and total lack of awareness of what his community actually wants (or ever wanted)).

#18 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 04:57 PM

Because they usually weigh a lot less, so brawlers can have more weapons that are tonnage efficient, and these weapons always out DPS longer ranged weapons of the same tonnage.

2. Light mechs - apart from the tiny mechs like 20-25t the 30-35t mechs are too big and easily hit. However, that is not enough, the turning was nerfed with the resizing while the heavies and assaults turn like fat ballerinas. It is extremely hard or even next to impossible to stay out of their firing arc for a meaningful time.

30-35 tons lights are some the most powerful and meta mechs in the entire game. Firestarters and Incubi in particular are quickplay smashing mechs. Both have really good mounts, and the firestarter can poptart really well. The incubus is still strong with 2 HLL 4 LMG. Both are even used extensively in comp. Srm6+a Kit Foxes are also really good in quickplay, as with 6 ermed with ecm. I think that you should consider that the problem may be with you and not the class of mechs.
Dire wolves and Annihilators do not twist like fat ballerinas. They twist like icebergs and if you took the time to play them you'd understand. Anything lower in weight than them usually twists faster but they usually sacrifice a lot in some other department, whether it be in firepower or mounts.

Now combine these 2 points and it is: bigger = better I would go even as fas as that if the only advantage of a 30-35t mech is to get fast from A to B, then you are better off playing a fast medium mech Overall the gameplay got dull.
Sit in a large mech do either sniping from range lololol HAGs or ERLL spam or mid range laser vomit. There is nearly no other gameplay till one side has no significant advantage in numbers

This is not a logical conclusion with the premises you provided, since I just disputed them. I don't know why you're suffering from hags from range if you're playing mediums and lights. HAGs suffer the most against mediums and lights because they spread and must fire in a volley, making it easy for the light/medium to abuse their agility to spread or dodge the damage. Mediums and lights can poptart with ppcs or skirmish with lasers just fine, and many of them can use skirmish and brawl with snub nose ppcs and back up lasers.

I will agree with you that the meta is laservomit and recently hags. Sniping though? Really hit or miss. If your team keeps nascaring super hard you never have a chance to snipe. Play on EU prime and you'll know what I mean. I've been trying to talk to many people in and out of the cauldron to nerf laservomit so ballistics, which take actual skill to use and have lower alphas, can be put to replace or at least compete with laservomit in the mid-range meta, but it hasn't been working out very well.

Edited by Bassault, 02 September 2023 - 05:07 PM.

#19 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:29 PM

View PostBassault, on 02 September 2023 - 04:57 PM, said:

Because they usually weigh a lot less, so brawlers can have more weapons that are tonnage efficient, and these weapons always out DPS longer ranged weapons of the same tonnage.

30-35 tons lights are some the most powerful and meta mechs in the entire game. Firestarters and Incubi in particular are quickplay smashing mechs. Both have really good mounts, and the firestarter can poptart really well. The incubus is still strong with 2 HLL 4 LMG. Both are even used extensively in comp. Srm6+a Kit Foxes are also really good in quickplay, as with 6 ermed with ecm. I think that you should consider that the problem may be with you and not the class of mechs.
Dire wolves and Annihilators do not twist like fat ballerinas. They twist like icebergs and if you took the time to play them you'd understand. Anything lower in weight than them usually twists faster but they usually sacrifice a lot in some other department, whether it be in firepower or mounts.

This is not a logical conclusion with the premises you provided, since I just disputed them. I don't know why you're suffering from hags from range if you're playing mediums and lights. HAGs suffer the most against mediums and lights because they spread and must fire in a volley, making it easy for the light/medium to abuse their agility to spread or dodge the damage. Mediums and lights can poptart with ppcs or skirmish with lasers just fine, and many of them can use skirmish and brawl with snub nose ppcs and back up lasers.

I will agree with you that the meta is laservomit and recently hags. Sniping though? Really hit or miss. If your team keeps nascaring super hard you never have a chance to snipe. Play on EU prime and you'll know what I mean. I've been trying to talk to many people in and out of the cauldron to nerf laservomit so ballistics, which take actual skill to use and have lower alphas, can be put to replace or at least compete with laservomit in the mid-range meta, but it hasn't been working out very well.

===============================================================================================
You all have valid points but Bassaut playing groups in Solo Quick play is killing the game groups need back their Group Que 8v8 and Solo Quick Play needs to be restored back to its original game mode. As far as continually changing the games META types which rarely work, they should work on better armor and defensive capabilities for all mechs and faster reverse speeds as well for all mechs to be able to make ttk longer and avoid incoming damages then meta changes to reflect new game play as it evolves in actual battles.

Of course, min/maxing mechs will always be in the game and you cannot change this unless the mechs are fixed like stock mechs . being one shot killed in the back by some of these new weapons is becoming the new META so rebalance the me weapons or make back armor for all mechs in MWO the same as front torso armor and make the armor on all mechs really work.

P.S I really hate these forums editor.

Edited by KingCobra, 02 September 2023 - 05:28 PM.

#20 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 05:49 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 02 September 2023 - 05:29 PM, said:

You all have valid points but Bassaut playing groups in Solo Quick play is killing the game groups need back their Group Que 8v8 and Solo Quick Play needs to be restored back to its original game mode.

This is a very complicated issue. People like to play with their friends in groups. Removing that from people would be terrible. You aren't suggesting that, but the problem is that the population right now isn't large enough to support a group and a solo queue, so effectively, it probably would do this. I also would like more evidence that groups really carry games. I've seen some very bad groups that bring down a team as many times as I've seen groups of Div A players that stomp. I think groups can ruin matchmaking, in either direction. Either way, the biggest issue is that the population just isn't big enough for them to be split anymore, queue times would be tremendous.

being one shot killed in the back by some of these new weapons is becoming the new META so rebalance the me weapons or make back armor for all mechs in MWO the same as front torso armor and make the armor on all mechs really work.

This is a skill issue. Getting shot in the back is you not having situational awareness or you having poor positioning.

As far as continually changing the games META types which rarely work, they should work on better armor and defensive capabilities for all mechs and faster reverse speeds as well for all mechs to be able to make ttk longer and avoid incoming damages then meta changes to reflect new game play as it evolves in actual battles.

I think time to kill is really low right now simply because of the bug with binary lasers and the prominence of hags. The binary bug allows people to fire 3 without ghost heat, so some insane builds are out there. Unfortunately there are many builds that can use binaries with 1+hsl, so they will not be effected by this change, and they are very strong and probably are power creeping. I think we should at least investigate into removing these hsls.

Another alternative is something I've suggested for a very long time now. Nerfing lasers would make alphas lower or make big alphas less prominent, which means mechs will take longer to die and less "oh wow my CT was opened instantly" moments. As for your comments about movement, buffing agility even further would just promote even more lasers alpha vomit metas since ballistics suffer the more agile mechs become, and the only alternative for mid range besides ballistics is laservomit.

Edited by Bassault, 02 September 2023 - 05:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users