Mwo Status Update And Known Issues - Update 2 - Dec 1St

326 replies to this topic

#101 Airmikee

• PipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 07:22 PM

Is this why I join a QP match and get locked out of it even though it never let me into the match?

Why do I give you money?

#102 Zerglinator

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 07:41 PM

cant shoot the legz if the legz dont load in space-time

#103 Steel Mike Eels

• PipPipPip
  • The Juggernaut
  • The Juggernaut
  • 66 posts
  • LocationParagon City

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:04 AM

I return to the game and the game breaks.

Is there a correlation? Posted Image

#104 Dogmeat1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 123 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:10 AM

View PostBesh, on 30 November 2023 - 04:26 PM, said:

Tbh, it is getting beyond ridiculous . How can an Issue caused by BoltOns become proggressively worse ( being present on EU only intially, then also affecting NA ) but not affect OC ? And how does the provided explanation account for massive FPS drops ?

Most of all : how can this not be resolved yet ?

It's not that hard to understand. Each of the server hosts (NA, EA & OC) has a capacity limit and I assume each one likely hosts a local copy of the main database. When a lobby is formed it needs to make calls to that database to load the appropriate items and every year the number of items each lobby needs to load has been inflating. Every bolt-on, every consumable, every weapon and every mech part is a seperate item that needs to be loaded.

From the information we've been given it appears that we've finally reached a point that there are so many calls being made from the lobbies that the regional databases are being overloaded. First this occured on the EU servers and once those were turned off, those players migrated to the NA servers thus causing them to hit capacity too. Most player have the OC servers turned off by default hence why the problems probably haven't been seen there as often. The FPS drops, random disconnects and lobbies being destroyed are all likely tied to the lobbies not being able to load data correctly which is causing unintended side effects.

It's not so much of a new bug but more a long-term system/database design issue that hadn't been as obviously problematic until now.

#105 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:12 AM

View PostDogmeat1, on 01 December 2023 - 01:10 AM, said:

It's not that hard to understand. Each of the server hosts (NA, EA & OC) has a capacity limit and I assume each one likely hosts a local copy of the main database. When a lobby is formed it needs to make calls to that database to load the appropriate items and every year the number of items each lobby needs to load has been inflating. Every bolt-on, every consumable, every weapon and every mech part is a seperate item that needs to be loaded.

From the information we've been given it appears that we've finally reached a point that there are so many calls being made from the lobbies that the regional databases are being overloaded. First this occured on the EU servers and once those were turned off, those players migrated to the NA servers thus causing them to hit capacity too. Most player have the OC servers turned off by default hence why the problems probably haven't been seen there as often. The FPS drops, random disconnects and lobbies being destroyed are all likely tied to the lobbies not being able to load data correctly which is causing unintended side effects.

It's not so much of a new bug but more a long-term system/database design issue that hadn't been as obviously problematic until now.

Ah.

edit : I am wondering why this item verification is at all necessary . After all, we get "invalid Loadout" in 'MechLab when a loadout is well...invaild . I am also wondering how sudden the increase in Items to be crossreferenced was. Seeing as it has been verified that some CN Variants cause Problems, I started thinking it may be related to the Onyx, even though it is "safe to use". Wondering what changed for 3 Cent Variants suddenly causing an Issue .

Edited by Besh, 01 December 2023 - 04:28 AM.

#106 pekez

• PipPip
  • Guillotine
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:25 AM

Anyone else have an issue where the map select screen is sort of in wrong resolution so it gets cut off from the horizontal sides? Sometime it bounces back and forth as if not being able to decide what resolution it is. This is on top of all the other issues atm.

#107 stripped

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermania superior

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:18 AM

View PostDogmeat1, on 01 December 2023 - 01:10 AM, said:

Wouldn't it then make sense to introduce "only groups" like IS vs IS and Clan vs Clan? Thus halving the data being loaded per match for the time trouble shooting is ongoing.

Edited by stripped, 01 December 2023 - 07:18 AM.

#108 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,566 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:20 AM

So is the MWO Worlds Grand Final even on this weekend, in view of these server issues?

View Postghost1e, on 28 November 2023 - 04:17 PM, said:

really unfortunate that this is right before the worlds grand final

#109 BlueDevilspawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:13 AM

View Postw0qj, on 01 December 2023 - 07:20 AM, said:

So is the MWO Worlds Grand Final even on this weekend, in view of these server issues?

As far as I can tell, it is because the teams both want to play and finish out the final match. They apparently are removing all bolt-ons for whatever its worth.

On that note PGI, I've noticed the FPS drops as well when playing Oceanic only. Could be a symptom of the increasing server load (and I hope your eventual solution addresses it); hopefully not a memory leak or something.

#110 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:34 AM

I did experience a crash after the conclusion of a match on Bearclaw last night, we had a Cent-AH who crashed and failed to reconnect, possibly connected.

#111 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:01 AM

You must roll back game, the condition is terrible.
Oceanic barely alive.

Still I had 2 crushes after matches today (OC server play only).
I barely had crushes ALL YEAR.

Sometimes map loading too slow (I came just before starting match, thats mean plus 55 sec.).

New things should be rolled back and tested properly.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 01 December 2023 - 10:04 AM.

#112 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 11:11 AM

Bug Report

My MWO game client suffered a hard crash to the desktop a few two minutes ago, when loading the game:
1) I deployed in a light 'Mech - no Centurion.
2) My 'Mech had no decals or bolt-ons.
3) The only selected server was the Oceania server.
4) The selected map was Polar Highlands.

#113 c0ldn3s5

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 49 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis, Missouri

Posted 01 December 2023 - 12:13 PM

EVERYTIME I TRY USING MY ASSASSIN-DD IT SAYS NO AVAILABLE SERVERS AT THIS TIME AND IT STAYS LOCKED......STOP TAKING THE HORMONES! it was better before with raandom crashes now it crashes more cause yall suck

Edited by c0ldn3s5, 01 December 2023 - 12:39 PM.

#114 H E I D I

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 536 posts
  • Locationunterhalb der Schwarzkiefer

Posted 01 December 2023 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the clarification, I really appreciate transparency Posted Image

#115 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:06 PM

2ND UPDATE DEC 1ST:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to provide another update as we head into the weekend. I appreciate everyone voicing their thoughts on the forum and understand the frustrations that can grow from an unreliable gameplay experience. I know communication and transparency can go a long way to ease those tensions, so with that in mind, here is the latest update.

We have spent the last few days testing both the current build and the "Great Bolt-On ID Cull" build, and we are happy to report that we are optimistic about moving forward with this change next week. I will explain why we are waiting until next week, but first, here is some interesting information about this change.

Currently, MWO has 22,288 items in the database. These item IDs encompass Mechs, Engines, Weapons, Equipment, Patterns, Colors, Decals, Titles, Badges, Cockpit Items, and Bolt-ons.

Here are the stats for the current live item ID Database:
Total Items: 22,288
Total Bolt-on Items: 12,381
Of the 22,288 item IDs, 12,381 are bolt-on IDs. That is around 55.5% of the items in the database.
This is why bolt-ons have been targeted as the best possible optimization.

Here are the stats for the new optimized Bolt-on ID Database:
Total Items: 10,431
Total Bolt-on Items: 529
Bolt-ons now make up 5% of the items in the database.

What I find interesting is the majority of the Bolt-ons were added in the original release of the bolt-on system in April 2018. The patch that released the bolt-on Faction Flags was probably the second-largest addition of bolt-ons. Here we are 5.6 years after the addition of bolt-ons, and we appear to have hit a theoretical item cap of 22,288 items in the database (using the current system).

Another interesting stat is we only added a total of 706 new Item IDs to the Database this entire year. Again, these 706 item IDs encompass EVERYTHING we added this year: Mechs, Weapons, Patterns, Colors, Decals, Titles, Badges, Cockpit Items, and Bolt-ons.

So with this optimization, we have given ourselves lots of room to continue to add content to the game for the foreseeable future!

So let's get back to the fix. We are waiting until next week for the fix for a few reasons.
We want to continue to test both the Current and New Build to make sure the patch is safe to deploy.
The change is significant as it will affect many areas of the Database, not just the Item IDs. Player Inventory, Player Loadouts, Player Purchase Trail, and more all have to transition and align with the new Item IDs so the systems that rely on them can continue to function properly (Events rewards systems, Customer support tools, etc.). This requires testing those systems as well.
We prefer to patch early in the week to have support available to address individual player issues before the weekend.

We haven't got a date and time locked in yet, but we will let you know as soon as we do.

CURRENT EVENTS:

We have both the Free Mech Event and The Longbow Challenge event running right now. Both events will receive an extension once the patch is live. I am currently thinking of adding a 10-day extension to both.

UPCOMING EVENTS:

The compensation event and all the Holiday events will not be posted or started until the patch is live, and we can confirm on the live environment that everything is back to normal.

UPCOMING PATCH:

The December Patch is still on track for December 13th; we will let you know if this changes.

Keep sharing your thoughts on the forums (I am reading all the posts), and we are truly grateful for your passion for MechWarrior Online.

I can't wait for this fix to be out so we can look toward the future and all the great stuff coming next year to MechWarrior Online: Legends, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, and MechWarrior 5: Clans.

Again we want to thank you for your patience and understanding,
The MechWarrior Online Team

P.S. It has occurred to me that we will need to update players on how bolt-ons will behave post-patch - that information will come with the Patch notes for the bolt-on changes next week.

#116 Mister T

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

It seem that the crash report tool is broken as well.

He can't send report to PGI

Finished compressing files...OK
[end_compressing_files]
[sending_report]
[sending_attempt]
Sending error report over HTTP...
Preparing HTTP request data...
Calculating size of data to send.
Opening Internet connection.
Connecting to server
Opening HTTP request...
Sending HTTP request...
Ending HTTP request...
Reading server response...
Server response code: 452
Server response body:452 Could not store the crash dump...
Assuming legacy method of determining delivery status (from HTTP response body).
Failed (HTTP response body doesn't start with code 200).
Error sending HTTP request.
[sending_attempt]
No E-mail address is specified for sending error report over SMTP; skipping.
[sending_attempt]
No E-mail address is specified for sending error report over Simple MAPI; skipping.
[status_failed]

#117 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Matt

#118 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:19 PM

View PostMister T, on 01 December 2023 - 01:16 PM, said:

Hello,

It seem that the crash report tool is broken as well.

He can't send report to PGI

Finished compressing files...OK
[end_compressing_files]
[sending_report]
[sending_attempt]
Sending error report over HTTP...
Preparing HTTP request data...
Calculating size of data to send.
Opening Internet connection.
Connecting to server
Opening HTTP request...
Sending HTTP request...
Ending HTTP request...
Reading server response...
Server response code: 452
Server response body:452 Could not store the crash dump...
Assuming legacy method of determining delivery status (from HTTP response body).
Failed (HTTP response body doesn't start with code 200).
Error sending HTTP request.
[sending_attempt]
No E-mail address is specified for sending error report over SMTP; skipping.
[sending_attempt]
No E-mail address is specified for sending error report over Simple MAPI; skipping.
[status_failed]

from what I know it's been broken for a long time

#119 Mokkor

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:20 PM

Thanks a lot for the transparency. I'm very happy you update this post and don't leave us in the dark. Appreciate it a lot!
Can't wait for this fix to come out, perhaps it'll make game load/run even better than before this issues even started. Perhaps initially bad thing will turn out as a great improvement in the end!

Edited by Mokkor, 01 December 2023 - 01:21 PM.

#120 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:35 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 29 November 2023 - 12:07 PM, said:

Our current best solution involves consolidating bolt-ons. Each bolt-on currently has a unique ID for each Mech it works with, resulting in tens of thousands of IDs. We have reduced this to fewer than 1000 IDs, allowing players to equip certain bolt-ons across multiple mechs for a more flexible system. Testing for this fix is currently underway.

Maaan... was asking for that for years Posted Image
It will help a lot in actually figuring out what bolt-ons I own, because with mech-specific bolt-ons it was unmanageable without a dedicated inventory page.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users