Patch Notes - 1.4.289.0 - 12-December-2023

205 replies to this topic

#121 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 12 December 2023 - 07:20 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 12 December 2023 - 06:12 AM, said:

Only concern with the RAC change at this point is what effect it will have on the weapon's already somewhat questionable viability.
viability? I see them used all the time on nightstars and the one Bushwacker in the side torsos... not to mention other big mechs i hate that they blind you when they shoot you in the face. but the flamer can't do the same??

Edited by KursedVixen, 12 December 2023 - 07:21 AM.

#122 hypographia

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 07:32 AM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 10 December 2023 - 02:30 PM, said:

I believe the exact argument is “higher skill higher reward.” Weapons that are easier to use should be less rewarding and have less output. This would encourage players to apply themselves and use weapons that require higher levels of skill and more active input.!

Pretty sure it requires more skill to get any decent damage numbers with LRMs over say, blue beams and brawl builds... With the number of countermeasures out there (even with the ECM nerf) and the reliance on teammates, etc... I'd argue that just because the weapon system is indirect fire, doesn't automatically make it a low/zero skill weapon. There are no countermeasures to gauss, ERLL, etc... yet LRM play has specific countermeasures devoted to it. Getting 1k dmg sitting in Zimbabwe burning pixels is a very easy target to attain. Making a volley of missles connect against raderp, ecm, ams, etc... no so much.

Edited by hypographia, 12 December 2023 - 07:33 AM.

#123 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 08:18 AM

View Posthypographia, on 12 December 2023 - 07:32 AM, said:

Pretty sure it requires more skill to get any decent damage numbers with LRMs over say, blue beams and brawl builds... With the number of countermeasures out there (even with the ECM nerf) and the reliance on teammates, etc... I'd argue that just because the weapon system is indirect fire, doesn't automatically make it a low/zero skill weapon. There are no countermeasures to gauss, ERLL, etc... yet LRM play has specific countermeasures devoted to it. Getting 1k dmg sitting in Zimbabwe burning pixels is a very easy target to attain. Making a volley of missles connect against raderp, ecm, ams, etc... no so much.
Especially against fast targets like lights with blue beams and gauss at least you have the luxury of consistently hitting lights with LRMs not to much not to mention Stealth armor on like the thanatos that can carry steatlth and 2 gauss rifles nobody will know your even there until they get hit, you cannot do stealth with LRMS as it makes your sensors almost useless. And for aimbot users what is the better weapon??? (Don't lie they exist.)

With LRMS you have to choose your targets carefully with Gauss and blue beams you just point and shoot pretty much....

And i'd like to reiterate the point that there are zero countermeasures to blue beams and gauss while Lrms can be almost or entirly shot down by a corsair 7a or a pirahna 3 or heck a Nova with 3 ams.

And yet here we have a long bow with +6 HSL for Lrms coming soon, and your telling me Lrms are low skil? THEN WHY DOES THIS MECH EXIST! and don't tell me "Because it's unique.

AS a final point I'd like to note that in all games based on battltech tabletop Lrms always go to 1000meters yet in tabletop LRMs actually only have a max range of 630 Only when you include ELRM or Streak LRm which is a Clan only do you reach 840 STILL NOT 1000 meters.... and atm er AMMO only reaches 810 meters.... Also unless your a fire support mech like a Catapult or Mad Dog Lrms are for softening up targets before the big brawly bois rush in... they are not meant to be a primary weapon.. yet everyone uses them as a primary gun when they are as the name of the catapult is FIRE SUPPORT

Edited by KursedVixen, 12 December 2023 - 08:30 AM.

#124 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 08:48 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 12 December 2023 - 08:18 AM, said:

Especially against fast targets like lights with blue beams and gauss at least you have the luxury of consistently hitting lights with LRMs not to much not to mention Stealth armor on like the thanatos that can carry steatlth and 2 gauss rifles nobody will know your even there until they get hit, you cannot do stealth with LRMS as it makes your sensors almost useless. And for aimbot users what is the better weapon??? (Don't lie they exist.)

With LRMS you have to choose your targets carefully with Gauss and blue beams you just point and shoot pretty much....

And i'd like to reiterate the point that there are zero countermeasures to blue beams and gauss while Lrms can be almost or entirly shot down by a corsair 7a or a pirahna 3 or heck a Nova with 3 ams.

And yet here we have a long bow with +6 HSL for Lrms coming soon, and your telling me Lrms are low skil? THEN WHY DOES THIS MECH EXIST! and don't tell me "Because it's unique.

AS a final point I'd like to note that in all games based on battltech tabletop Lrms always go to 1000meters yet in tabletop LRMs actually only have a max range of 630 Only when you include ELRM or Streak LRm which is a Clan only do you reach 840 STILL NOT 1000 meters.... and atm er AMMO only reaches 810 meters.... Also unless your a fire support mech like a Catapult or Mad Dog Lrms are for softening up targets before the big brawly bois rush in... they are not meant to be a primary weapon.. yet everyone uses them as a primary gun when they are as the name of the catapult is FIRE SUPPORT

1. The cheat that benefits LRM play most strongly is a lot more difficult to nail someone on due to the nature of the weapon system. You can catch a laser/ballistic aimbotter dead to rights with careful observation.
2. Any weapon with a significant tonnage investment is your primary weapon system. End of. LRMs meet this criteria and the game does not reward a "balanced" loadout, minmaxing is best practice for a number of reasons.
3. ATMs being fired beyond midrange are being criminally underutilized barring edge cases.
4. LRMs are not about aiming/firing skill, they are entirely about positioning skill and dealing with the frustration that is the lockon system. They are smothering when used in coordinated NARC-supported lances, and a struggle weapon the rest of the time typically. They are mostly ineffective at one of the most important ways to win a fight - removing opponent components with targeted fire. Other weapons are better suppressors and long range weapons. They are most effective at vulturing large slow mechs with open components caught in positions where they cannot avoid incoming missiles. In a few edge case scenarios they can annoy opponents into making mistakes but this typically hinges on opponent experience.

The number of LRM players who lack understanding of the very weapon system they utilize is mindblowing. I've spent minutes teasing an LRM boat on the upper level of Rubellite by baiting a direct fire shot with a flatter arc then promptly ducking behind cover. That was funny.

Edited by the check engine light, 12 December 2023 - 08:51 AM.

#125 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:02 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 12 December 2023 - 08:48 AM, said:

3. ATMs being fired beyond midrange are being criminally underutilized barring edge cases.

probably because like Lrms they have a minimium range while almost every other weapon does not and people like me do not want to be caught dead with weapons that have a minimium range... they removed it from alll ppcs so time to remove it from ATMS... even if it is at a reduced damage value

#126 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:06 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 12 December 2023 - 09:02 AM, said:

probably because like Lrms they have a minimium range while almost every other weapon does not and people like me do not want to be caught dead with weapons that have a minimium range... they removed it from alll ppcs so time to remove it from ATMS... even if it is at a reduced damage value

60m is pathetically easy to work with if you aren't a turret. Summoner runs them REALLY well, the VGL-3 is a good choice.

#127 ShootterMcGavin

• PipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSlam Diego, CA

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:07 AM

Tremendous

#128 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:18 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 12 December 2023 - 09:06 AM, said:

60m is pathetically easy to work with if you aren't a turret. Summoner runs them REALLY well, the VGL-3 is a good choice.
it still exist and i'm sure many people don't realize it's not the distance shown on the target but the distance shown on your range finder to the right of your aiming reticle.

Edited by KursedVixen, 12 December 2023 - 09:19 AM.

#129 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:40 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 12 December 2023 - 09:18 AM, said:

it still exist and i'm sure many people don't realize it's not the distance shown on the target but the distance shown on your range finder to the right of your aiming reticle.

They learn eventually.

Being able to stay near teammates to have people to deter underruns long enough for you to jump out of your minimum and shoot is important, the SMN's 81kph ground speed and the VGL's ability to match that are important. 65kph is possibly workable like with the NTG but I wouldn't.

#130 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 252 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:57 AM

To me it seems like there is no solution for missiles Posted Image.

When things dont go your way they are near impossible to use, those lasers shooting them down are super good and if there is more of them there is nothing you can do. Many maps play completely against you. They are slow and easy to avoid. Even though you are sort of support, you pretty much have to be in the front, with your laser pointer and even if all this goes good, you are still limited by how well your team plays, because drones all over the sky and people targeting for you makes for one heck of a fireworks ! Posted Image

Then you have situation when the stars align and playing against them is absolutely awful Posted Image. You are getting nonstop bombardment from everywhere, no way to fight back, all those little shin chompers running underfoot, telling everyone where you are. And any moment when you fight against someone, there is always blue rain coming on you, and you either stand and take it and lose, or you run and get shot in the back. Its just not fun. (I know what I am talking about, I have gauss guns ! Posted Image)

1. Give missiles to everyone, so you still have lots of fireworks, but only if everyone has the opportunity to use them, instead of having one person carry everything and the grocery. Like one small-ish missile launcher.

2. Make those anti missile lasers smaller, let anyone equip them, but make them much less useful and make them shoot down only things that are not targeted on you. This would force people to stick together and play as a team, as they should Posted Image, but also wouldnt make everyone instantly immune to missiles.

3. Maybe something like those consumables, that one allowing you to call in bombs. You could plop it somewhere and people with missiles could shoot on that place, like some kind of lock on the floor, you could just continue shooting and maybe hitting someone, because without directly seeing what you are shooting, its kinda difficult to make "indirect shots".

4. Request missiles button, if you are shooting on someone, maybe within some shorter range or something, you could call for help, but that would appear only to people who have some kind of missiles and they could instantly send some rockets in your direction to help you. Maybe these could be faster or ignore/avoid obstacles better, and in return they could maybe do less damage or something questionmark? Posted Image

5. Or, or maybe something like opening the map, and you could click somewhere on the grid and shoot there, like if you know there are people there, but you cant shoot them directly, so you can just shoot around them, to annoy them? Like real life artillery would do?

Also give people lots more missile ammo, so they can just rain it all the time. Or none of it. Or all of it! I dont know Posted Image.

I dont know, maybe I am just being silly Posted Image but from what little I tried playing and from what I am reading on forums (and this goes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back) I dont think there is a solution to this specific kind of weapons in this game, either you can shoot people without playing or you cant, just a single on/off switch. Posted Image .

Dont mind me, just rumbling Posted Image .

Edited by torsie, 12 December 2023 - 10:20 AM.

#131 Jormunrek

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 10:37 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 12 December 2023 - 09:06 AM, said:

ATM's have a min range of 60m. IS LRM have a min range of 180m.
Since coming back to the game I haven't played lrm boats much, except to skill up mechs not at 91pts as far as I can tell that minimum range still exists on IS LRM platforms...
But I also almost never run an LRM only kits. ATMs on quicker, more agile mechs sure, but not big bulky SLOW mechs.
Not to mention that 60m is infinitely more manageable than 180m.

#132 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 763 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 12 December 2023 - 10:47 AM

So, just in case I missed it... How do we get the December Festive Mechs? is there an event scheduled? redeem code? 27th december 50 machtscore as usual?

#133 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,270 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 10:51 AM

View PostCyrilis, on 12 December 2023 - 10:47 AM, said:

So, just in case I missed it... How do we get the December Festive Mechs? is there an event scheduled? redeem code? 27th december 50 machtscore as usual?

No details have been announced so far.

#134 torsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 252 posts
  • LocationLost in the snow :3

Posted 12 December 2023 - 11:29 AM

Needs more PURPLE !!! Posted Image

PS: How do you post picture ?!Posted Image

Edited by torsie, 12 December 2023 - 11:43 AM.

#135 Tarteso

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 12 December 2023 - 11:56 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 11 December 2023 - 05:56 PM, said:

I would like to say a little to those who endlessly whine about the place of LRM in the game.
1) You don’t know what a truly oppressed weapon is. Every fight I see at least 3 - 4 LRM mechs. Which roughly corresponds to the percentage of other types of weapons presented in each individual battle. In each individual battle you will find the same number of mechs: short/medium/long range energy; short/medium range missiles; short/medium/long range ballistics; mixed builds (missiles/energy, energy/ballistics, missiles/ballistics). That is, you are blatantly lying. LRMs are as prevalent in the game as any other weapon system. And what is typical is that lurm boats, based on the results of the match, always have an average damage approximately equal to other types of weapons. And, to understand what a truly oppressed weapon is, you can look at the streaks. This weapon is truly oppressed and unplayable. And every meeting of a mech with such a weapon in battle is a good reason to open a bottle of champagne.
2) Half of those negative features of LRM that you constantly talk about can be easily solved - equip your mech with a TAG/NARC/UAV, don’t hide behind cover, go out to the enemy, shoot at him, share the damage with your team equally. But the problem is in your psychology. A typical lurmlover needs only one thing - to stand behind cover and inflict damage on the enemy without risk to himself, while his team is forced to face the enemy face to face. That is, every inveterate lurmuser is led by banal cowardice. Yes, you can come up with a nice excuse for yourself that you are supposedly helping the team in this way, that this style of play is the only correct style of play on the LRM. But this is just a false excuse for his cowardice.
3) For some reason, defenders of the LRM are always bashfully silent about such an absolutely unbalanced system as the NARC.
4) Do you want to destroy the ECM? Do you want to remove the radar dep from the game? Do you want instant lock on target? Maybe you want to pay for this by losing the ability to hit 100% of the missiles in a separate mech? Perhaps then PGI should consider giving LRM boats the ability to hit only the area where the locked mech is standing, and not the mech itself? Maybe if the ECM/radar dep is removed, 40-50% of the missiles will hit the ground and only 50-60% of the missiles will hit the locked mech? All other weapon systems have a huge chance of not hitting the enemy. And only the experience and accuracy of a particular player can reduce the chance of a miss. Or do you still need the ability to stand behind cover and shoot enemies with impunity with 100% efficiency from a range of 1000 meters? Do you want that? Well then I have bad news for you. As long as PGI and Cauldron have at least a little brain, this will never happen.

Wow, what a post.

Talking about psychology, what about your pathological hate, and kinked, and flawed, view for this weapon and their users? Cowardize, false, impunity, ... wow. You forgot lurmaggedons.

#136 Jormunrek

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 12:08 PM

Will we be getting mech challenges for the two new legendaries as well?

#137 Poseidolon

• PipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 12:15 PM

View PostJormunrek, on 12 December 2023 - 12:08 PM, said:

Will we be getting mech challenges for the two new legendaries as well?

Beyond their normal battlepass?

#138 Jormunrek

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 12:45 PM

View PostPoseidolon, on 12 December 2023 - 12:15 PM, said:

Beyond their normal battlepass?

Oof nm was thinking of something else, my bad. =)

#139 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 01:09 PM

Gonna go blind from the muzzle flash with a Rac5 on the Hatchetman 6D. would it be possible to tone down the muzzle flash? XD

#140 ColdBrewed

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 01:11 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 09 December 2023 - 10:20 PM, said:

DECEMBER EVENTS AND SALES
Look for ongoing events and sales all month, including the Phoenix Protocol Event, the Advent Event, the annual Stocking Stuffer Event, the December FREE 'Mech event (see the very special FREE 'Mechs below), and the 12-Days of Christmas Treasure Hunt - where you'll get to hunt down participating developers and content creators to win Dev Kill Medallions and bonus MC!

the annual Stocking Stuffer Event, the December FREE 'Mech event (see the very special FREE 'Mechs below), and the 12-Days of Christmas Treasure Hunt

When do these events start?

Thanks.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users