Anyone Mind Telling Me Why I Didn't Get A Pilot Skill Increase Here?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Jobalisk

• PipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 12 December 2023 - 01:32 PM

I've been doing upwards of 250 damage most games in lights and getting multiple assists, scoutings, uav destroyed, uav spottings, ect. Yet I still continuously seem to be on a downward spiral. I feel this games scoring system is really heavily in favor of assaults.
Latest game:

https://imgur.com/a/0XZR43M

Edited by Jobalisk, 12 December 2023 - 01:32 PM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 12 December 2023 - 01:54 PM

Because 12 people did more damage than you and you were on the losing team.

PSR is in comparison to everyone in the match, plus a bonus for being on the winning team. Damage isn't everything, but its most of the thing.

So yes, in that regard, assault mechs have an edge because they usually inflict more damage than lighter mechs. Generally, not always. Light pilots have it rough.

Edited by ScrapIron Prime, 12 December 2023 - 01:56 PM.

#3 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 01:59 PM

Assault mechs have the potential to deal a lot more dmg, and in lower tiers they usually will. Then in higher tiers, it becomes really feast or famine once you're fighting fast lights/meds that know how to pick you apart, and ppl deny you decent targets. Then you become a pinata and its often more reliable to play a fast medium.

#4 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 12 December 2023 - 02:20 PM

just let it go and have fun, games cant understand the stragetic value of just bothering enemy mechs and influencing their movement.

there's many ways to turn the tide of a battle and do literally 0 damage, by just providing target data or drawing enemy fire so your teammates can get a clear shot.

i once had a match years ago on grim plexus i think in my twin ac2 cougar where seconds after the match started i spotted an anhilator at 1800m and i started plinking away at it, confused it stopped and turned around wildly flailing around walking in circles.
i kept it busy for like 30 or 45 seconds orso like this before it realised it wasnt even taking damage and started marching towards its team that was getting rolled.
i ended the match with low damage and score but obviously i did something usefull and i had a chuckle wich is all that matters

Edited by aardappelianen, 12 December 2023 - 02:24 PM.

#5 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 08:38 PM

You were the 6th best loser. If you're consistently hovering around being a median performer on losing teams, then you're probably about at the right level.

It isn't a "scoring" system, it's just meant to sort people into rough buckets for matchmaking.

Mech performance data was published recently. There is no mech in the game that averages less than 251 damage per match- so if you're consistently doing "around 250", then you are definitely in the lower portion of the population.

#6 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:11 PM

View Postaardappelianen, on 12 December 2023 - 02:20 PM, said:

just let it go and have fun, games cant understand the stragetic value of just bothering enemy mechs and influencing their movement.

there's many ways to turn the tide of a battle and do literally 0 damage, by just providing target data or drawing enemy fire so your teammates can get a clear shot.

i once had a match years ago on grim plexus i think in my twin ac2 cougar where seconds after the match started i spotted an anhilator at 1800m and i started plinking away at it, confused it stopped and turned around wildly flailing around walking in circles.
i kept it busy for like 30 or 45 seconds orso like this before it realised it wasnt even taking damage and started marching towards its team that was getting rolled.
i ended the match with low damage and score but obviously i did something usefull and i had a chuckle wich is all that matters

No. No it is NOT all that matters. If that were all that mattered there wouldn't be CBills or match score or any of these other things the game wants you to pay mind to.

Edited by the check engine light, 12 December 2023 - 09:14 PM.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:18 PM

Your PSR went down 3 PSR points with that 301 MS and the next player above you with 328 MS received the equal sign, broke even. As a comparison, the player with a 284 MS on the winning side gained 3 PSR points, and the next one under him with 247 MS received the equal size. As mentioned, each player is ranked against the other 23 players on that drop, with the winning team receiving a slight percentage bonus for winning.

My alt had a game where he had a 145 MS on a losing and I got the up arrow. I thought it was an error until I entered the numbers. I earned 2 PSR points on it. It was an Assault map and the reds decided a base rush was the best answer. So 15 out of 24 received the UP arrow or the equal sign.

Posted Image

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 December 2023 - 09:22 PM

And damage converts approx 46% of its points (less than half) to the Matchscore. No including any team damage, 300dmg = 138 MS. 400dmg = 184 MS So your 334 dmg = 153 MS, slightly less with the team damage.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 December 2023 - 09:24 PM.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 10:47 PM

Check this educational video by BrioS.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 11:51 PM

look at the other match scores on your team. you are only like #6 in match score for your team. not sure what the minimum is to advance on a loss, its probibly in 400+ territory. i think its also relative to your team's performance, and from the looks of these match numbers it looks like a ferocious match ineed. lots of high scores on both sides in that screen shot.

one match is just one datapoint in a sea of other datapoints and is not a strong indication of skill on its own. you need more datapoints.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 December 2023 - 11:57 PM.

#11 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 December 2023 - 12:03 AM

View Postaardappelianen, on 12 December 2023 - 02:20 PM, said:

just let it go and have fun

This a thousand times. The only thing psr counts towards is bragging rights and offers to join the top tier competitive units. It's completely useless for anything else. Also gaining tiers isn't required if your goal is just having a good time and to be honest you want to stay in as low a tier as possible.

The reason is that the higher the tier you go the more competitive the game becomes and small mistakes you can easily recover from turn into lethal blunders that send you to spectator mode. This is fine if your goal is to find sweaty gameplay but trust me even in that case tier 1 is no reward. The longest queue times especially for groups along with the saltiest dogs and hyper competitive tryhards. I personally like it but then again I'm one of the salty dog hyper competitive types. Posted Image

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 12:23 AM

yea, t2 was fun, but t3 has more variety, shorter wait times, etc.

of course this new stone rhino legendary is threatening to put me back in t2 again. getting a lot of green arrows out of it.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 December 2023 - 12:25 AM.

#13 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 December 2023 - 01:24 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 12 December 2023 - 08:38 PM, said:

~snip

Mech performance data was published recently. There is no mech in the game that averages less than 251 damage per match- so if you're consistently doing "around 250", then you are definitely in the lower portion of the population.

That is not correct. The spreadsheet looking at numbers by Chassis shows 3 Chassis below 250avg damage . The sheet where you can look at numbers by Variant shows many ( too lazy to count them atmo) below 250avg dmg .

emphasis mine

Edited by Besh, 13 December 2023 - 01:36 AM.

#14 TheVerto

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 03:59 AM

250 damage on a light is very bad tho, 400-500 is what i would call a good match, above that is etheir meta, being a menace or both.

#15 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 13 December 2023 - 10:45 AM

View PostJobalisk, on 12 December 2023 - 01:32 PM, said:

I've been doing upwards of 250 damage most games in lights and getting multiple assists, scoutings, uav destroyed, uav spottings, ect. Yet I still continuously seem to be on a downward spiral. I feel this games scoring system is really heavily in favor of assaults.
Latest game:

I am going to give you a piece of advice that took me a long time to actually take myself: Forget about PSR!

Have fun! Play what you want to play!

You will enjoy the game so much more when you aren't worrying about your PSR going up or down. It took me 2 years to realize this. When I first started, the PSR drove me to do better and better. When I got to Tier 2 and Tier 1, the PSR just became a slog and I would beat myself up, figuratively, about not going up in PSR. People had told me all along to not worry about it. I didn't believe them at first. Now I do and I have fun.

Go out there and have fun! You will end up where you're supposed to be in the rankings. Just leave the stress of the PSR behind you.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,274 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 12:51 PM

Latest game:

PSR is a match making tool, not some kind of reward that should be earned or achieved.

Play as you like, use 'Mechs and loadouts that you like. Let PSR do its job. Eventually, PSR will move you to the most appropriate Tier, i.e. Tier where you will face other players of your skill level and running similar 'Mechs.

#17 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 01:28 PM

View Postmartian, on 13 December 2023 - 12:51 PM, said:

PSR is a match making tool, not some kind of reward that should be earned or achieved.

Play as you like, use 'Mechs and loadouts that you like. Let PSR do its job. Eventually, PSR will move you to the most appropriate Tier, i.e. Tier where you will face other players of your skill level and running similar 'Mechs.

Unless you're T2 in which case **** you, here play against some EQ and 5JDx.

And remember it's not FAIRRRRR when you kill T5s because they pushed you down a tier but them pushing you down a tier is AOK.

******* warped ****.

Edited by the check engine light, 13 December 2023 - 03:14 PM.

#18 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 04:43 PM

Latest game:

Because you hardly did anything. Do 600 damage or more every game and you should be fine. Yes. Lights can do that much, and much more damage consistently. It's not in favor of assaults at all. As a matter of fact, it's in favor of lights. Gets get inflated matchscore when they scout something or even stand near teammates. You just aren't shooting enough or your mech is woefully ill equipped.

Here is a video of someone doing 1k dmg 8 kills in a light mech.

Not trying to be rude here, but you simply have to do better. For lower skilled players, playing light mechs can be incredibly difficult compared to other mechs, so I can understand why at first glance you might think it is biased against you. You have to constantly be shooting to rack up the damage but you have to be hyper vigilant if someone is aiming at you, and if they are you need to react fast enough to avoid the damage.

Edited by Bassault, 13 December 2023 - 04:48 PM.

#19 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 December 2023 - 05:42 AM

View PostBassault, on 13 December 2023 - 04:43 PM, said:

Because you hardly did anything. Do 600 damage or more every game and you should be fine. Yes. Lights can do that much, and much more damage consistently. It's not in favor of assaults at all. As a matter of fact, it's in favor of lights. Gets get inflated matchscore when they scout something or even stand near teammates. You just aren't shooting enough or your mech is woefully ill equipped.

Here is a video of someone doing 1k dmg 8 kills in a light mech.

Not trying to be rude here, but you simply have to do better. For lower skilled players, playing light mechs can be incredibly difficult compared to other mechs, so I can understand why at first glance you might think it is biased against you. You have to constantly be shooting to rack up the damage but you have to be hyper vigilant if someone is aiming at you, and if they are you need to react fast enough to avoid the damage.

I seem to recall that , when looking at Class avges, Lights get the short Straw despite outliers being able to do impressive things ?

Edited by Besh, 14 December 2023 - 05:43 AM.

#20 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,274 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 07:52 AM

View PostBesh, on 14 December 2023 - 05:42 AM, said:

I seem to recall that , when looking at Class avges, Lights get the short Straw despite outliers being able to do impressive things?
I think that you have got that right.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users