Racs = Worse Now?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 11:07 AM

Anyone else feel like RACs are actually worse now than they were before? I don't think they were particularly OP before the patch change but they seem absurdly bad now.

I feel my damage potential with them has been halved.

What was wrong with them before?

#2 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 05 January 2024 - 12:39 PM

The spread makes them great at doing damage but crap at killing.

#3 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 02:06 PM

Same DPS. Any feelings to the contrary are just feelings.

The difference is more projectiles, so more spread opportunity if you can hold aim on target.

#4 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 02:19 PM

I hadn't noticed a whole lot of difference yet but I tend to be pretty close when I fire and I try to pick on people who will have a hard time spreading the damage anyway. I am puzzled by the Cauldron making a change for "cosmetic" reasons, though the HAG purple spark thing is technically cosmetic it's helpful for determining whether an opponent is firing HAG or Gauss.

#5 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 04:29 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 05 January 2024 - 02:19 PM, said:

I hadn't noticed a whole lot of difference yet but I tend to be pretty close when I fire and I try to pick on people who will have a hard time spreading the damage anyway. I am puzzled by the Cauldron making a change for "cosmetic" reasons, though the HAG purple spark thing is technically cosmetic it's helpful for determining whether an opponent is firing HAG or Gauss.

The RAC change was to avoid an exploit that was still being actively used- and advertised on the socials. Not cosmetic either.

#6 SolCrusher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 622 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 January 2024 - 07:51 PM

they should take the ghost heat off the RAC5 and RAC2s

#7 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 10:23 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 05 January 2024 - 04:29 PM, said:

The RAC change was to avoid an exploit that was still being actively used- and advertised on the socials. Not cosmetic either.

Huh. Someone mentioned a more "brrt" flavor, dunno who.

Did it fix the exploit?

#8 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 10:26 AM

They don't seem to have improved at all DPS wise but hey... now they spread damage out even more and eat up way more ammo! Pretty awesome 'buff' there.

#9 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 06 January 2024 - 11:16 AM

With due respect, nothing significant about RAC was changed... DPS exactly the same as before, only more frequent bullets, but each bullet does less damage, so DPS remains exactly the same...

https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes
https://mwomercs.com/game/patch-notes
https://discord.com/...227786214866956

View PostIhlrath, on 06 January 2024 - 10:26 AM, said:

They don't seem to have improved at all DPS wise but hey... now they spread damage out even more and eat up way more ammo! Pretty awesome 'buff' there.

#10 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 11:20 AM

View Postw0qj, on 06 January 2024 - 11:16 AM, said:

With due respect, nothing significant about RAC was changed... DPS exactly the same as before, only more frequent bullets, but each bullet does less damage, so DPS remains exactly the same...

https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes
https://mwomercs.com/game/patch-notes
https://discord.com/...227786214866956

Could benefit from either a tightened fire cone, more velocity or both if the more-boolit approach is nerfing actual efficacy

Edited by the check engine light, 06 January 2024 - 11:21 AM.

#11 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 728 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 11:34 AM

View PostIhlrath, on 06 January 2024 - 10:26 AM, said:

Ammo per ton got boosted to compensate.

The only actual gameplay difference -- beyond this nebulous exploit being referenced, I have no idea what that is or how faster ROF stops it -- is that RACs now do more cockpit shake/blinding.

Edited by foamyesque, 06 January 2024 - 11:35 AM.

#12 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 01:40 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 06 January 2024 - 11:34 AM, said:

Ammo per ton got boosted to compensate.

The only actual gameplay difference -- beyond this nebulous exploit being referenced, I have no idea what that is or how faster ROF stops it -- is that RACs now do more cockpit shake/blinding.

Carefully timed macros could get about 30% more DPS out of RACs I believe. They were adjusted a few years back for similar, apparently back then with config changes and the right macro you could get about 3 times the damage.

I'm.assuming the increased RoF means the gap between projectiles is too small to allow a key release/repress macro to fire a projectile faster.

There are more technical discussions on these matters on the socials, mostly discord.

#13 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 01:44 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 05 January 2024 - 04:29 PM, said:

Want to talk about exploit? How about the fact that your get stun locked with screen flashes when someone RACs you in the toe?

I'm being serious.

Should I post some pictures from training grounds?

Hits in the actual cockpit is even worse, total vision loss.

And what's this about cheats in social? IDK. I don't visit social, or use any mods, but it certainly feel like (occasionally) that my opponents are.

#14 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 03:15 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 06 January 2024 - 01:40 PM, said:

Carefully timed macros could get about 30% more DPS out of RACs I believe. They were adjusted a few years back for similar, apparently back then with config changes and the right macro you could get about 3 times the damage.

I'm.assuming the increased RoF means the gap between projectiles is too small to allow a key release/repress macro to fire a projectile faster.

There are more technical discussions on these matters on the socials, mostly discord.

Macros are for lameos. If you cant play the game without having to tweek your interface so something else is doing the work for you... you're lame, period. If you have to have a script do the work you are meant to do manually that shows a lack of skill on your part. Skill is playing the game yourself, not having scripts, or macros, or aimbots (yes I put them all in the same category of 'You must suck if you have to use this').

So if they tweeked ammo load to compensate for more bullets.... I say moar dakka is always gud, bub.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 04:06 PM

want to buff it, get rid of the spin up delay. gauss gets charge because silent stealth projectiles fired at extreme ranges and velocities with no heat. but with a rac its a penalty to engage in what is effectively the worst possible way. with a lot of heat on a splashy, low velocity, midrange facetime weapon. why does that need a spin up penalty?

#16 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 04:09 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 06 January 2024 - 04:06 PM, said:

want to buff it, get rid of the spin up delay. gauss gets charge because silent stealth projectiles fired at extreme ranges and velocities with no heat. but with a rac its a penalty to engage in what is effectively the worst possible way. with a lot of heat on a splashy, low velocity, midrange facetime weapon. why does that need a spin up penalty?

^^ Once again my man has a great point!

#17 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 06 January 2024 - 09:40 PM

They are objectively far less effective now. Something went wrong with the changes. The effect as written in the patch notes does not match their performance in-game.

#18 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:10 PM

View PostKynesis, on 06 January 2024 - 09:40 PM, said:

They are objectively far less effective now. Something went wrong with the changes. The effect as written in the patch notes does not match their performance in-game.

If they're objectively far less effective you have some evidence to back it up? Feelings aint objective.

I've done as well as before in them. Maybe even better since the fear effect is increased by faster fire rate.

Edited by Samziel, 07 January 2024 - 11:18 PM.

#19 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:48 PM

That seems mathematically implausible.

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 12:48 PM

View PostIhlrath, on 06 January 2024 - 03:15 PM, said:

Macros are for lameos. If you cant play the game without having to tweek your interface so something else is doing the work for you... you're lame, period. If you have to have a script do the work you are meant to do manually that shows a lack of skill on your part. Skill is playing the game yourself, not having scripts, or macros, or aimbots (yes I put them all in the same category of 'You must suck if you have to use this').

For 1st time ever in these forums history you are correct, about saying macro = cheat. Macro that does do something that player cannot do manually (increase DPS of RACs) is an exploit/cheat.

View PostLordNothing, on 06 January 2024 - 04:06 PM, said:

They are pretty coolrunning weapon with minimal spread and not that slow velocity for reals(And some of the Cauldrons want to get rid of that spread) and they got massive DPS, combined with xpulses which are hot... you can do stupid amount of damage in few seconds.
If you remove Spin there needs to be some kind of trade-off nerf for them not to be OP.

I have played plenty of RAC5s last season after the patch and they don't seem any worse than before... just sounds bit cooler.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users