Jan 2024 Patch Leaks And Rumors

356 replies to this topic

#41 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 06 January 2024 - 10:11 PM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 06 January 2024 - 06:16 PM, said:

Pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about...

I'm pretty sure I do. The Cauldron routinely shows with their patches that they don't understand the concept of "normalization" so there's weapons within the same family that have weird little numeric idiosyncrasies that no true engineer would allow.

I AM an engineer and I agree with most of the changes they've implemented...

I'm totally not surprised you agree with their changes. Did you change your name? Didn't your name used to be Quicksilver Kalasha or something? You're the guy who wanted to wreck the game by making all lasers continuous fire weapons right?

PGI has a rule that for non missiles, numbers = damage. IMO it's a dumb rule but what can you do?

I know right? What a crazy idea to have weapon names match the damage output!? Why, that sounds downright intuitive and who wants that? Show us your brilliance here Quicksilver. Come up with your own weapon naming convention. Here's an idea, make the weapon names prime numbers! Instead of AC2,5,10,20 --> AC3,7,13,17. How cool would that be? I'm sure you can think of something even wackier and more outlandish, you're good at wacky and outlandish.

But seriously, if I were you Quicksilver, I would edit my post to remove those two sentences. They show you're someone who's design suggestions should never be taken seriously.

#42 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,759 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 06 January 2024 - 10:27 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 06 January 2024 - 10:11 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I do. The Cauldron routinely shows with their patches that they don't understand the concept of "normalization" so there's weapons within the same family that have weird little numeric idiosyncrasies that no true engineer would allow.

I'm not sure you understand what you are talking about honestly. Regardless, normalization is bogus. Everytime someone has used "normalization" to justify balance changes, it has ended up for the worse. The pulse laser "normalization" that killed LPL usage waaaaay back when. The great 2018 heat sink "normalization" that ended up creating the laser vomit alpha beasts that we see today, etc, etc.

Numbers are a great starting point but they are not the only thing that matters.

I'm totally not surprised you agree with their changes. Did you change your name? Didn't your name used to be Quicksilver Kalasha or something? You're the guy who wanted to wreck the game by making all lasers continuous fire weapons right?

"Wreck" but yes, that is me. Ironically the Clans might be getting that, just without changing any existing weapons. Who knew adding more interesting weapons was something other people wanted right?

Either way, that kinda has no bearing on this. You say you want them to be an engineer yet you use logical fallacies like character assassination to make your argument.....what a joke

I know right? What a crazy idea to have weapon names match the damage output!?

It's almost like no one cared back when MW4 didn't adhere to the numbers. LBX20 did 28 damage and the LBX10 did 14 damage? No one cared. RAC2 didn't do 2 damage per bullet? Made sense to everyone at the time. Hell UAC20s did 18 damage per "shot". Hell by 15 year old brain at the time not knowing any of the lore thought the number just meant the bore of the autocannon somehow like it does with most bullets, I could see that easily being the "lie" we need though I'd honestly just prefer to rename them without numbers.

Yeah I'm sorry, but adhering to BT's nonsensical damage profiles (some weapons scale linearly, some scale exponentially for some reason) is part of the reason why LBX have been garbage for the majority of its lifetime, and the irony is no one knew PGI's rule until the Cauldron.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 06 January 2024 - 10:29 PM.

#43 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:21 AM

Splash damage from ERPPC and Snub-PPC would never damage cockpit.
Cannot find the supporting forum posting for this, but this was stated when Snub-PPC splash damage was discussed a few years ago.

Guess HAG splash damage would never damage cockpit either.

...The crucial difference between spread and splash is how it interacts with range. Splash spreads damage on a weapon without actually hampering its killing ability at range like spread does. ...

#44 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 728 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:29 AM

The crucial difference between spread and splash is how it interacts with range. Splash spreads damage on a weapon without actually hampering its killing ability at range like spread does. The spread at long range for HAGs originally made them not even worth using them at range, pushing them into mid range which was already cluttered with high alphas.

HAGs, in every version of them to-date, have been perfectly fine at range. Reducing their killing ability at range with spread is the point of spread. Splash is range agnostic, but HAGs didn't really need a nerf midrange per se since in midrange lots more things compete. Nothing in the game matches HAG damage output at long range, so that damage needs to be drastically less efficient than the alternatives or else it wholly supplants them.

#45 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 536 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:49 AM

View Postfoamyesque, on 07 January 2024 - 12:29 AM, said:

HAGs, in every version of them to-date, have been perfectly fine at range. Reducing their killing ability at range with spread is the point of spread. Splash is range agnostic, but HAGs didn't really need a nerf midrange per se since in midrange lots more things compete. Nothing in the game matches HAG damage output at long range, so that damage needs to be drastically less efficient than the alternatives or else it wholly supplants them.

You got that upside down. Mid and short range HAGs were the king before the CD and heat nerf. Hags aint good long range in comparison to lasers gauss or ppcs. If they want to revert some of the nerfs they need to adress the issue of sub 500m first and increasing spread does nothing to that.

#46 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:37 AM

View PostMechMaster059, on 06 January 2024 - 05:59 PM, said:

"possible Radar Deprivation nerfs"
Yes. I recommend 19% --> 12%.

"LRM velocity nerfs"
"LRM "attack angle" nerfs (making them shallower) for indirect fire"
Riiiiiggghhttt... someone whispering into the ear of the Cauldron clearly doesn't like LRMs. I have a hunch who. Is it the guy who makes videos on YouTube with horrible Blood Asp LRM boat builds that has one of his unit members act as a NARC Raven slave on Polar Highlands, the most LRM friendly map in the game, and then claims LRMs are OP?

These potential nerfs to LRMs are HORRIBLE ideas. If the Cauldron makes LRM indirect fire trajectory any flatter I'll probably stop using LRMs altogether. That is a potentially weapon-wrecking change. LRMs are already frustrating as hell to land on several maps due to terrain getting in the way.

Who in the hell are these clowns who think LRMs are OP? Go play a friggin LRM mech without a NARC Raven slave if you think it's so easy. Even with a NARC Raven slave, LRMs are not a big deal. The NARC Raven will have almost no damage dealt at the end of the match so the boosted performance of the LRM boat gets averaged down by their NARC Raven slave.

"adding velocity bonuses to Artemis for LRMS"
Something clearly needs to be done because Artemis generally isn't worth it for LRMs. Just make Artemis give ½ its dispersion reduction bonus to indirect fire. (-15% instead of -30% dispersion reduction) Done.

LRMs with good NARCer (one that lands the NARCs) can wipe even T1 clean stupidly easily when map works for LRMs.
LRMs without NARCer are horrible bad.
PS. don't play narc raven there are WAY better mechs for that job... For example jr7-iic-2

#47 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 January 2024 - 04:22 AM

The update is much appreciated Moadebe .

Would be great if Cauldron was somewhat more open on the reasoning for changes .

#48 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 04:37 AM

View PostCurccu, on 07 January 2024 - 01:37 AM, said:

...when map works for LRMs.
LRMs without NARCer are horrible bad.

So you acknowledge LRMs have major issues as a stand-alone weapon and if anything need buffs, not nerfs.

View PostCurccu, on 07 January 2024 - 01:37 AM, said:

PS. don't play narc raven there are WAY better mechs for that job... For example jr7-iic-2

The biggest advantage of your JR7 build is the jump-jets for pop-tarting targets with a NARC.

Compare that to the 3L:
- ECM/Stealth
- Massive NARC quirks
- +200m seismic sensor (Boosting this up to 400m with skills is so freaking powerful and acts like a pseudo map-hack)

I think I'll stick with the 3L for NARCing.

#49 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 January 2024 - 08:57 AM

Let me get this straight… the NARC is too powerful, so you’re going to nerf LRMs. Does that make ANY sense? Punish all the players who are not Blood Asp missile hulks with a light mech friend?

Try this one out… the Gausszilla is a broken mech so… we’re going to nerf AC/5’s. Does that sound dumb to anyone? Because it’s the same logic being presented for LRMs…

#50 Moadebe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 09:29 AM

So...

From my understanding of the changes with LRMs have nothing to do with things like NARC and the like. Rather from discussion on the discord I am thinking its a form of "give and take."

Let me state that I am NOT in the cauldron so I have zero idea of their internal discussions. I am coming from a place of just reading talk on the discord and so this is second hand SPECULATION.

The overall velocity nerf is to compensate for Radar Deprivation nerfs. RD gets weaker and so they probably think LRMs need to have a lower velocity to give more reaction time to find cover. Also. There were discussions about making Artemis worth while to take since right now for the investment it is severely lackluster. I think the overall velocity nerf is also to help compensate and give Artemis something to make it worth while. I have seen numbers talked about in discussions, but I am hesitant to even state them because NOTHING is set in stone. ALL of this are things that have been talked about, but since there are no official leaks about this its all subject to CHANGE.

The indirect fire arc nerf is something I was talking about extensively on the discord. I have ZERO idea if I influenced any of this into happening. I just know I have talked extensively about it in discussions on the discord in the lockon weapon section. I will say that If it happens I feel it will be a GOOD change. Especially since right now indirect fire of LRMs comes in almost at a 90 degree angle. (More like a 70-80 degree angle.) There are times when someone will get behind cover and yet still get hit. (Think canyon network in the trench. You are a slow mech with no JJ. No avenue to go up outta the trench but those missiles are incoming. So you butt yourself against the canyon wall....only for those missiles to still hit you because their arc is juuuuust enough to clear the top of said wall. You cannot do ANYTHING about it cept keep moving while getting hammered mercilessly.)

Instances like I just said make LRMs not fun to play against, and give this aura that LRMs are op (they are not.) It doesn't reward proper play. "Incoming missiles huh? Ok lemme get behind this building that should be plenty of cover. *hit hit hit hit* WTF!"

If you are thinking of "shallower" as the same as direct fire or within 300m .... you are thinking of extremes. If the current angle of indirect arc is about 80-70 degrees. Then a 5-10 degree reduction should be just fine while going over most terrain between your target and you. Indirect fire should be about suppression first. Damage second. (IMO) Your damage from LRMs should come from direct fire (meaning you got your own locks, you are sharing armor, and you are with the team in a team based game.)

AGAIN. The stated changes about LRM velocity, artemis, arc of indirect fire, and radar deprivation are all just DISCUSSIONS that have happened. No official leaks and there is ONLY talk saying that they will happen. The only reason I mentioned them is because the talks ARE serious. Across multiple days and discussions with actual cauldron members.

As far as HAG splash goes....it IS a mistake imo. One that WILL cause problems. The game does NOT need more splash, and this will only benefit the shooter as a crutch. Not the person getting shot at. I have been causing hell about this particular subject for awhile and I know I am pissing into the wind at this point on the matter. So I am just sitting back and we will see the repercussions of the change on the 23rd and the days afterwards. For good or ill.Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't matter. Hell I WANT to be wrong on the subject. Simply cause it would mean that the game is better balanced and funner to play cause of it.

So before all of yall eat each other. Lets see how the HAG changes play out. At least. Lets see if the talk and discussions about LRMs bare fruit and are actually real.

P.S: We sill need more ECM nerfs imo. Range reduction needs a nerf or the skills in the skill tree need a nerf.

#51 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 09:34 AM

View Postfoamyesque, on 07 January 2024 - 12:29 AM, said:

Nothing in the game matches HAG damage output at long range, so that damage needs to be drastically less efficient than the alternatives or else it wholly supplants them.

What, they have never replaced Gauss+ERLL at long range. People used them a lot at lower tiers but top tier players didn't bother with them because while yes, you could do more damage, it wasn't as effective damage as Gauss + ERLL. Weapons that spread (whether through time with duration or better DPS, or space through spread/splash) HAVE to do more damage compared to PPFLD to compete.

They were good at farming (which can give the illusion they are better) at long range but that's about all they've ever been good for at those ranges compared to Gauss+ERLL.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 07 January 2024 - 08:57 AM, said:

Let me get this straight… the NARC is too powerful, so you’re going to nerf LRMs. Does that make ANY sense? Punish all the players who are not Blood Asp missile hulks with a light mech friend?

Try this one out… the Gausszilla is a broken mech so… we’re going to nerf AC/5’s. Does that sound dumb to anyone? Because it’s the same logic being presented for LRMs…

Yet they did just that to UAC10s because of the Kodiak Posted Image

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 07 January 2024 - 09:34 AM.

#52 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 09:46 AM

View PostMechMaster059, on 07 January 2024 - 04:37 AM, said:

The biggest advantage of your JR7 build is the jump-jets for pop-tarting targets with a NARC.
Compare that to the 3L:
- ECM/Stealth
- Massive NARC quirks
- +200m seismic sensor (Boosting this up to 400m with skills is so freaking powerful and acts like a pseudo map-hack)
I think I'll stick with the 3L for NARCing.

Yep JJs are massive advantage and HML quirks are not bad either.. 40dmg alpha to 300m+ with less than second burn time.
You can Narc well AND actually be kill mechs yourself also not just wait lurms to fall from sky and save you lets say enemy lights are harassing you..

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 07 January 2024 - 09:34 AM, said:

Yet they did just that to UAC10s because of the Kodiak Posted Image

UAC10s were still very formidable after that and widely used with UAC5s.

#53 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 10:40 AM

Moadebe, I get the impression that you're the kind of person who cares about the MWO community and likes to be helpful and provide information to the player base. I respect that, so don't take my criticisms that follow too personally, but you've made several dangerous assertions regarding LRMs that I have to respond to.

View PostMoadebe, on 07 January 2024 - 09:29 AM, said:

...There are times when someone will get behind cover and yet still get hit. (Think canyon network in the trench. You are a slow mech with no JJ. No avenue to go up outta the trench but those missiles are incoming. So you butt yourself against the canyon wall....only for those missiles to still hit you because their arc is juuuuust enough to clear the top of said wall. You cannot do ANYTHING about it cept keep moving while getting hammered mercilessly.)

Indirect fire, by definition, means the target is out of sight or behind cover. It's an uncommon occurrence to catch enemy players walking around completely in the open where they can be pelted with impunity by LRMs. Players tend to hug terrain features as they move around. So to say players behind cover should not be hit by LRMs is, in practice, nearly equivalent to saying players should not be hit by LRMs at all.

The question becomes what DEGREE of cover should provide protection from LRMs. The trench in Canyon Network is a bad example because it's shaped like a V, not a vertical right angle with the ground, and those trenches are known to be dangerous to traverse due to all the firing positions available along the ridgeline that can shoot down into it.

The little mesas on top of the ridgeline will absolutely provide protection from LRMs if you hide behind them.

In my opinion, if you're hiding behind a building that is 1.5-2x taller than your mech, you should be protected from LRM fire and that currently works. This is one of the reasons why LRMs perform so poorly on Solaris City, because there's buildings EVERYWHERE to hide behind so even if you have a light spotter helping, you still cannot hit anyone.

There are many maps where it appears LRMs should be able to go over a hill and hit targets behind yet can't. One of the most notorious examples from my experience is the hill on Emerald Vale that runs north-south in E4. It's common for enemy players to congregate behind that hill, yet if you have a spotter peek around the right side or put up a UAV and fire, around 75% of your LRMs slam into the top of the hill and don't make it over. There are many areas on many maps where LRMs behave this way. IT'S VERY ANNOYING.

...Ok lemme get behind this building that should be plenty of cover. *hit hit hit hit* WTF!"

Buildings absolutely do provide good cover vs LRMs. The low ceiling huts on Frozen City don't count.

...If the current angle of indirect arc is about 80-70 degrees. Then a 5-10 degree reduction should be just fine while going over most terrain between your target and you.

You badly underestimate how much harder it would be to land LRMs if such a change were implemented. I can't help but get the impression you don't play LRM builds otherwise you would know this.

Indirect fire should be about suppression first. Damage second. (IMO) Your damage from LRMs should come from direct fire (meaning you got your own locks, you are sharing armor, and you are with the team in a team based game.)

Wow... you couldn't be more wrong. Scary that a veteran tier 2 player would say something like this.

LRMs are primarily an INDIRECT FIRE weapon system. Indirect fire is the primary motivation for using them at all. If you don't want to be able to deal damage via indirect fire then you may as well just go with an MRM build on an IS mech or an ATM build on a Clan mech.

Getting damage via indirect fire IS team based. You need a spotter. You need to reposition with your team to stay protected from lights/mediums that will inevitably come after you.

What you express here is a disdain for the LRM style of play which seems to be pervasive amongst elements of the MWO community and only applies to LRMs. No other weapon system seems to engender the prejudice that LRMs inspire.

#54 Tarteso

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 07 January 2024 - 11:39 AM

View Postfoamyesque, on 06 January 2024 - 11:31 AM, said:

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Cauldron is trying everything except spread to nerf HAGs. Every time they made a change to 'em to make 'em worse in some other capacity, spread was reduced until it went all the way to zero. Now they're adding splash instead of spread because they know HAGs need to spread, but there's still no actual spread.

They made a poll in discord: "what do you prefer?". Obviously, the NO to the spread won.

View Postcrazytimes, on 06 January 2024 - 07:37 PM, said:

Weapons have to get balanced for more than one use case. Different tiers use them differently, and faction play/comp play may use them differently as well.

People doing poorly with them on a 3 x LRM5+A and Machine gun boat in tier 5 make up some stats, but also contributing to the overall balance picture is 4 man groups running 3 x LRM90 boats + a NARC light. Or worse in Faction play.

This is double funny: you are showing one, among several reasons, of why groups in QP are a bad idea; as well as saying that coordinated tactics (involving LRMs) in a team-based mode (FP) are a bad thing.
Anyway, why exactly is, let's say, a 4 man group running 3 x LRM90 boats + a NARC light waaaay worse than 4 man wolfpack hunting (or snipping, or doing anything else) in QP?

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 07 January 2024 - 08:57 AM, said:

Cauldron being cauldron.

So...

From my understanding of the changes with LRMs have nothing to do with things like NARC and the like. Rather from discussion on the discord I am thinking its a form of "give and take."

Let me state that I am NOT in the cauldron so I have zero idea of their internal discussions. I am coming from a place of just reading talk on the discord and so this is second hand SPECULATION.

The overall velocity nerf is to compensate for Radar Deprivation nerfs. RD gets weaker and so they probably think LRMs need to have a lower velocity to give more reaction time to find cover. Also. There were discussions about making Artemis worth while to take since right now for the investment it is severely lackluster. I think the overall velocity nerf is also to help compensate and give Artemis something to make it worth while. I have seen numbers talked about in discussions, but I am hesitant to even state them because NOTHING is set in stone. ALL of this are things that have been talked about, but since there are no official leaks about this its all subject to CHANGE.

The indirect fire arc nerf is something I was talking about extensively on the discord. I have ZERO idea if I influenced any of this into happening. I just know I have talked extensively about it in discussions on the discord in the lockon weapon section. I will say that If it happens I feel it will be a GOOD change. Especially since right now indirect fire of LRMs comes in almost at a 90 degree angle. (More like a 70-80 degree angle.) There are times when someone will get behind cover and yet still get hit. (Think canyon network in the trench. You are a slow mech with no JJ. No avenue to go up outta the trench but those missiles are incoming. So you butt yourself against the canyon wall....only for those missiles to still hit you because their arc is juuuuust enough to clear the top of said wall. You cannot do ANYTHING about it cept keep moving while getting hammered mercilessly.)

Instances like I just said make LRMs not fun to play against, and give this aura that LRMs are op (they are not.) It doesn't reward proper play. "Incoming missiles huh? Ok lemme get behind this building that should be plenty of cover. *hit hit hit hit* WTF!"

If you are thinking of "shallower" as the same as direct fire or within 300m .... you are thinking of extremes. If the current angle of indirect arc is about 80-70 degrees. Then a 5-10 degree reduction should be just fine while going over most terrain between your target and you. Indirect fire should be about suppression first. Damage second. (IMO) Your damage from LRMs should come from direct fire (meaning you got your own locks, you are sharing armor, and you are with the team in a team based game.)

AGAIN. The stated changes about LRM velocity, artemis, arc of indirect fire, and radar deprivation are all just DISCUSSIONS that have happened. No official leaks and there is ONLY talk saying that they will happen. The only reason I mentioned them is because the talks ARE serious. Across multiple days and discussions with actual cauldron members.

As far as HAG splash goes....it IS a mistake imo. One that WILL cause problems. The game does NOT need more splash, and this will only benefit the shooter as a crutch. Not the person getting shot at. I have been causing hell about this particular subject for awhile and I know I am pissing into the wind at this point on the matter. So I am just sitting back and we will see the repercussions of the change on the 23rd and the days afterwards. For good or ill.Whether I'm right or wrong doesn't matter. Hell I WANT to be wrong on the subject. Simply cause it would mean that the game is better balanced and funner to play cause of it.

So before all of yall eat each other. Lets see how the HAG changes play out. At least. Lets see if the talk and discussions about LRMs bare fruit and are actually real.

P.S: We sill need more ECM nerfs imo. Range reduction needs a nerf or the skills in the skill tree need a nerf.

They want more nerfs to LRMs, to protect their snipers in their niche comp play, that's all. They need some new excuses. So what? they are now willing to discuss about another ****** 1% nerf per node to raderp?

Indirect fire mode is already nerfed to the ground. What does they want, lurmers fighting purely LOS as if missiles were point and click like lasers??? Make it happen, but with all consecuences included: same counters and as fast as any other direct-fire weapon. Or a complete rework to make them like in MW4.

What LRMs (and the other guided missiles) really need is a BIG un-nerf:

1. Given the actual skill tree situation after their brilliant modification: raderp reduction to 5% per node, and remove all raderp quirks. Simply make the maths. Indirect fire is just no viable AT ALL starting at 1 raderp node, because time-to-lock and target retention time exceed the time a given target remains targeted, UNLESS you have a dedicated spotter/narcer (see DATA videos to know what IS NOT happening about LRMs in a regular basis).

2. Even in LOS, any lurmer, fully TD skilled, need several sec to target, lock, and fly time before to start speaking about "long range missiles". So, increase the damn velocity very significantly.

2. Stop making unfriendly maps, like Bearflaw II. And release old Polar.

3. Clean up a bit walls, rocks, buildings, etc. from the already avaliable """open""" maps, so long range missiles could have a chance to reach targets at long ranges, actually.

4. BIG spread reduction. Aren't they ****** guided?

And overall, they should stop modding this game to change it as a slowmotion version of PUT RANDOM DUMMY PEWPEW GAME NAME HERE. This is mechwarrior.

Edited by Tarteso, 07 January 2024 - 01:18 PM.

#55 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:24 PM

View PostCurccu, on 07 January 2024 - 09:46 AM, said:

UAC10s were still very formidable after that and widely used with UAC5s.

They were that way before, but UAC10s and UAC5s don't mix as well due to the velocity differences. I stopped using them together a long time ago when I saw casts for MRBC back when the Dakka Whale was the premier dakka mech. The amount your pellets miss when trying to hit a mech at range moving anyway but forward was surprising enough that I switched to either running straight UAC5s and eating the ghost heat or mixing UAC5s with AC10s because they have the exact same velocity. Otherwise you are running into a similar situation that HAGs currently are in, you are farming damage but it isn't as effective as it could be.

#56 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:30 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 07 January 2024 - 10:40 AM, said:

LRMs are primarily an INDIRECT FIRE weapon system. Indirect fire is the primary motivation for using them at all.

No they aren't.....and no it shouldn't be the primary motivation either.

#57 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:34 PM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 07 January 2024 - 12:30 PM, said:

No they aren't.....and no it shouldn't be the primary motivation either.

Is that why they have a range of 900m and fly at a slow speed of 266m/s in direct fire mode? So they can hit LOS targets at long range?

[Redacted]

Edited by GM Patience, 11 January 2024 - 03:48 PM.

#58 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:31 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 07 January 2024 - 12:34 PM, said:

Is that why they have a range of 900m and fly at a slow speed of 266m/s in direct fire mode? So they can hit LOS targets at long range?

It's almost like that's the trade-off for them being homing weapons. Having them travel too fast especially with the lock-on mechanics in this game would be goofy af.

It's almost like LRMs lost fire-and-forget because they had broken mechanics due to using radar locks and not LoS to acquire missile locks.

TLDR Guided artillery honestly shouldn't be a thing because of the problems it causes in every shooter if introduced. Artillery should be about positions, not targets. This is what changes it from a "screw everything without cover" to actual area denial which is what it should be an is in most other successful games.
[Redacted]
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by GM Patience, 11 January 2024 - 03:49 PM.

#59 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:47 PM

Look, I don't buy into the "boat nothing but lurms" builds, because I solo drop. You know what kind of LRM mech I most often run... here it is:

https://mwo.nav-alph...324d13_HGN-733P

Drill things with lasers, get my own locks, fill those locks with missiles, dry fire the LRMs when I don't have locks. And sometimes I even fire indirect on the way to the brawl. Its a build that never stops firing, even inside minimum range.

But every year this gets harder and harder to do. The LRMs only move at 190m/s now, and they want to slow them down??? Why even have the ability to blind fire them without lock, then? They'll never get there before the target moves because that target is always at least one second away because of minimum range.

I already run Artemis, and for this I get PENALIZED by NARC'd targets instead of rewarded. What are they going to give back to an Artemis user after nerfing the velocity again?

#60 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 07 January 2024 - 01:52 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 07 January 2024 - 01:47 PM, said:

I already run Artemis, and for this I get PENALIZED by NARC'd targets instead of rewarded. What are they going to give back to an Artemis user after nerfing the velocity again?

They are thinking of giving Artemis an insane velocity buff for direct fire AFAIK. I think it might get a shallower arc but I can't remember on that one. Or maybe that was just something Navid was testing out.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 07 January 2024 - 01:54 PM.

68 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 68 guests, 0 anonymous users