#181 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,759 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 08 January 2024 - 04:38 PM

View PostBesh, on 08 January 2024 - 04:25 PM, said:

Did you just, very elaborately, explain to us that you don't really understand what you are talking about ?

Alright, then by all means explain it to us, what am I missing.

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 08 January 2024 - 05:14 PM.

#182 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 05:55 PM

View PostFrost_Byte, on 07 January 2024 - 09:12 PM, said:

While we do want to fix up LRMs, I don't think they should ever be top tier weapons. Same goes for streak SRMs.

At least you've admitted your blatant bias in front of everyone.

#183 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 06:14 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 08 January 2024 - 10:05 AM, said:

This response seems completely insincere to me.
[Redacted]
Let's be honest,
Whether it's a 2 second lock time, or 5 seconds, or 10, or even 20, doesn't matter.
It's a delay that prevents you from shooting back in game where ppc and ballistic velocities are counted in milliseconds.

No, "pinpoint and precise shots" are not harder in this game of slow moving giant robots.
Lock on weapons are the worst, most unreliable weapons in this game.

[Redacted]

I've sat there for 20 seconds trying to get a lock, I know other have too, then the enemy walks behind a tree and you have to start over.

He's already admitted they have deemed missile as "low skill weapon" that they don't want to have to counter with tactic and AMS in the snooty "sniper bois" play style of the "high skill top tiers" ("We are better than you lowbies").

As if moving a mouse is teh only skill required in this game.

As if positioning and tactics don't count as skill?

They don't want to have to deal with LRMS in their tactics, they don't even want them in the game, because it disturbs their sniper meta. They can't get rid of them directly, so they are nerfing them into oblivious.

He's already admitted they don't want to deal with them in "top tier we are better than you", I just hope he doesn't sprain his neck, holding his nose in the air like that.

#184 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 06:35 PM

He openly said they don't want LRMS used in their snootly little "top tier" matches, so they will ruin it for the majority of players (Tiers 5 thru 2!) by making sure LRMS are so nerfed that if you get a 1000 dmg in a match it wil be a miracle.

I got several 1000+ dmg games last week with SNPPC, I don't see him complaining about that.

Fact is the majority of players like having LRMS in the game, it adds variety and spice.

it's not about what sniper bois want, it's about the customer, we want the good stuff.

Caldron- "But snakes and sparklers are all I like".

Edited by kalashnikity, 08 January 2024 - 06:36 PM.

#185 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 06:47 PM

View PostMoadebe, on 08 January 2024 - 01:20 PM, said:

Would also like to point out with all the skill talk that these take no skill to utilize...yet nothing but skill to counter. Yet we are talking about LRMs being a no skill weapon. Yet it arguably takes more "facetime" to get effective damage from them. (The only thing being more facetime are RACs, MGs, and XPulse lasers)

Posted Image

But that is just my two cents

It's far easier to hit scan a light than to get a missile lock on a light (which can be nearly impossible at times).

Anyone saying missiles are "low skill" if full of it. hold within 2 degrees on even a moderately fast mech, with constan changes in direction and altitude? LOL.

Using missiles takes significant skill, not just in keeping the reticle on a fast mover, but there is also that 180M dead zone to consider, and every new map is literally designed to block LRMs from most useful angles.

Cauldron sniper bois just don't like needing to alter their preferred tactics to deal with missile attack.

Just more signs of intellectual laziness, just like how they nerfed double heat sinks just because Clan laser vomit was (supposedly) a problem? Why not just at a ~0.1 to (or whatever) the heat on lasers, instead of nerfing an entire system (heat sinks)?

#186 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 07:59 PM

View PostTarteso, on 07 January 2024 - 11:39 AM, said:

This is double funny: you are showing one, among several reasons, of why groups in QP are a bad idea; as well as saying that coordinated tactics (involving LRMs) in a team-based mode (FP) are a bad thing.
Anyway, why exactly is, let's say, a 4 man group running 3 x LRM90 boats + a NARC light waaaay worse than 4 man wolfpack hunting (or snipping, or doing anything else) in QP?

I was talking about the influence on data.

This comes as a surprise to most forum warriors- but there is actual performance data that gets posted either here or through some of the various official socials. Sometimes it's broken down by tier even... and this is just the publically released data. The people making the final call for balancing decisions will have access to even more complete and granular data.

Just because some potato "feels" a certain way about weapon performance in no way changes the population wide data of how it is actually performing. What I- very clearly I felt- stated was that for any given potato playing potato builds in a potato way, there are people at the other end of the spectrum utilising the weapon effectively already. A buff to make the potato feel better may mean that the people already using effectively will now use it exclusively.

For example snubpocalypse.

#187 Dogmeat1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 123 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:07 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 08 January 2024 - 06:35 PM, said:

He openly said they don't want LRMS used in their snootly little "top tier" matches, so they will ruin it for the majority of players (Tiers 5 thru 2!) by making sure LRMS are so nerfed that if you get a 1000 dmg in a match it wil be a miracle.

You are making a strawman argument and Frostbyte said nothing of the sort. His exact statement was;

One final note though. While we do want to fix up LRMs, I don't think they should ever be top tier weapons. Same goes for streak SRMs. Any weapon that aims for you should inherently be weaker, as the game should reward you for the amount of effort and skill a weapon takes. Higher skill, higher reward.

By top tier he is not referring to PSR tiers. He means that due to the low skill ceiling associated with lockon weapons, they should never give the greatest rewards so as to not invalidate weapons that require more skill and time investment to use. In the past lockons have been over-buffed (the lurmpocalypses) and the response from the overall playerbases was so negative that the game suffered among the biggest loss of players, month-to-month, in the entire history of the game. Higher skill players compensated by either running lockons themselves or just simply sticking to range poke builds, while it was the lower skilled population who were getting driven away due to how badly they were being farmed every game.

All weapon systems should have a purpose and no one system should dominate the game, however, lockons are an inherintly bad design choice for a PvP game hence why good games generally avoid or only use them in a very limited fashion. Recoding the weapons to be wire-guided by the player would add a proper skill element to them but this is just not feasible due to the lack of available cryengine engineers and issues with MWO's netcode. Therefore, the best that can be done is to continue carefully adjust LRM, ATM and streak stats so they have a niche but do not overpower weapons that actually require skill.

#188 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,738 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:18 PM

View PostCurccu, on 08 January 2024 - 12:41 AM, said:

How about removing missile warning? (Probably needs engineering that we don't have Posted Image.)

Meet you half way.. incoming Missile warning only for indirect fire but no warnings with direct fire. Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 08 January 2024 - 08:19 PM.

#189 Shineplasma

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 08:55 PM

View PostMoadebe, on 08 January 2024 - 11:11 AM, said:

These patch posts always feel a little ...

Posted Image

Well, its often the same uninformed people saying the same things, so that makes sense.

Also, your statement about LRMs and co requiring more facetime to use than direct fire weapons is outright false. Direct fire weapons require facetime on 100% of their shots. LRMs do not, even when solo queuing, but especially when utilized properly in a coordinated group or even just a 2-man. In fact, LRMs can potentially be utilized with 0% facetime if you're doing it right.

I have yet to hear a rational argument for why indirect fire support weapon systems should be just as effective when solo-queueing as weapons which actually require you to aim and face the enemy. They get to bypass 2 of the most fundamental realities of the FPS genre. Why should they also get to deal equivalent effective damage vs direct fire systems? Is having a coordination requirement in exchange for bypassing those fundamental mechanics such a bad thing?

As for other comments in this thread regarding LRMs and other lock ons: You can "feel" like it takes more skill to hold a lock on a light than it takes to shoot them, but your "feelings" are not quantifiable or actionable data. Tracking the outline of an entire mech/lock box is much easier than hitting a specific component with a projectile or holding a burn on said component on a moving target. No other weapon system can close the skill gap between a top-tier light pilot and a T5 better than LRMs or Streaks. Simply put, you're being ridiculous.

Lock on weapons are inherently lower-skill and that is reflected in every serious pvp game. Lock on, indirect-fire capable weapon systems can not and should not ever be as, or more powerful than a weapon which requires aim and exposure to enemy fire.

Edited by Shineplasma, 08 January 2024 - 08:59 PM.

#190 Shineplasma

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 09:08 PM

View Postkalashnikity, on 08 January 2024 - 06:35 PM, said:

He openly said they don't want LRMS used in their snootly little "top tier" matches

We took lrms in comp last season during ToS in the top division and slapped people with them. They're already in our "snooty little top tier matches".

Edited by Shineplasma, 08 January 2024 - 09:09 PM.

#191 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 09:22 PM

meanwhile nobody talks about airstrike how accurate that is it cant be countered by AMS, it don't have problems with ECM
etc

yea keep complaining about LRM when your mech getting damaged for like 25% by a red flag total fine.

how it should work,

the player who called in the airstrike should hold a tag on the mech as long as possible for the guided missiles
losing tag the missiles no longer are guided and just random drop

Tag for artillery strike consider the range artillery's strikes not accurate and drop somewhere around 10 to 50 meter area.

o wait that makes actual sense no way it ever be ingame

Edited by Abisha, 08 January 2024 - 09:30 PM.

#192 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 09:28 PM

Not much point in continuing this thread.

PGI Employee:
(With major influence on weapon balance)

View PostFrost_Byte, on 07 January 2024 - 09:12 PM, said:

While we do want to fix up LRMs, I don't think they should ever be top tier weapons. Same goes for streak SRMs.

CS 2022 Gold Champ:
(Possibly lead Cauldron balancer)

View PostNavid A1, on 08 January 2024 - 02:11 AM, said:

I play MWO and I find hovering the mouse over a gigantic square from the safety of being across the map behind cover the easiest thing in video game history.

CS 2019 Gold Champ:

View PostVxheous, on 08 January 2024 - 04:32 AM, said:

I remember Writhen streamed using his forehead to hit his keyboard to launch lrms a few times back when lrms were even more garbage than now (2018) just to show how absurdly easy it was to do non focused damage with them.

CS 2020 Gold Champ:

View PostDogmeat1, on 08 January 2024 - 08:07 PM, said:

Therefore, the best that can be done is to continue carefully adjust LRM, ATM and streak stats so they have a niche but do not overpower weapons that actually require skill.

I had suspected there was 1 key player in the Cauldron that was possibly being influenced by D A T A who was responsible for these LRM nerfs. I was wrong. It's all of them.

This is uncharted territory for me. I've never seen such broad-based disdain for an aspect of a game by those responsible for maintaining that game. It's all starting to make sense now why STREAKs suck so badly. These guys aren't within a hundred miles of being able to properly balance lock-on weapons.

- Not one mention of the fact that LRMs/ATMs are the only weapons in the game that can have their damage output completely negated by a defensive system. (AMS)
- No understanding of the fact that getting and maintaining a lock at close/intermediate range against a small and fast target is VERY difficult.
- Not appreciating how frustrating it is to fire LRMs indirectly over terrain they should be able to clear only to see them stupidly slam into that terrain.
- Glossing over the amount of positioning involved in being a good LRMer.

It's over. Do what you guys will in the next patch.

#193 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 09:37 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 08 January 2024 - 09:28 PM, said:

Not much point in continuing this thread.

PGI Employee:
(With major influence on weapon balance)

CS 2022 Gold Champ:
(Possibly lead Cauldron balancer)

CS 2019 Gold Champ:

CS 2020 Gold Champ:

I had suspected there was 1 key player in the Cauldron that was possibly being influenced by D A T A who was responsible for these LRM nerfs. I was wrong. It's all of them.

This is uncharted territory for me. I've never seen such broad-based disdain for an aspect of a game by those responsible for maintaining that game. It's all starting to make sense now why STREAKs suck so badly. These guys aren't within a hundred miles of being able to properly balance lock-on weapons.

- Not one mention of the fact that LRMs/ATMs are the only weapons in the game that can have their damage output completely negated by a defensive system. (AMS)
- No understanding of the fact that getting and maintaining a lock at close/intermediate range against a small and fast target is VERY difficult.
- Not appreciating how frustrating it is to fire LRMs indirectly over terrain they should be able to clear only to see them stupidly slam into that terrain.

It's over. Do what you guys will in the next patch.

I think a team that's based on balance should not be "emotional involved" they look they have a strong opinion on the matter
explains why MWO is in a state of decay

#194 MechMaster059

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 09:40 PM

View PostShineplasma, on 08 January 2024 - 08:55 PM, said:

Tracking the outline of an entire mech/lock box is much easier than hitting a specific component with a projectile or holding a burn on said component on a moving target.

This CS 2023 Gold Champ doesn't understand that it's impossible for lock-on weapons to even target specific components which is the price they pay for being able to seek targets.

This is THE biggest disadvantage of lock-on weapons and is a HUGE negative for them..

I've seen Mad Dog STREAK boats fire salvo after salvo trying to take down a cored Atlas and they can't do it because their STREAKs keep flying all over the place and hitting armored components.

#195 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,759 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 08 January 2024 - 09:58 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 08 January 2024 - 09:40 PM, said:

This CS 2023 Gold Champ doesn't understand that it's impossible for lock-on weapons to even target specific components which is the price they pay for being able to seek targets.

Its the price they pay for bad lock-on mechanics, its got nothing to do with homing. Again, there was a certain mech game that had homing weapons that targeted specific sections over 20 years ago. And that fact can't be changed because there is no engineering support for this game. So here we are.

Edit:
My favorite is that in all the quotes of the gold champs. They conveniently left out the best one:

View PostShineplasma, on 08 January 2024 - 09:08 PM, said:

We took lrms in comp last season during ToS in the top division and slapped people with them. They're already in our "snooty little top tier matches".

Edited by Quicksilver Aberration, 08 January 2024 - 10:06 PM.

#196 Ilostmycactus

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 10:08 PM

If indirect lockons are bad then I'd like for direct fire lrms to be more useful, "skilled" as it were. The velocity, arc, and spread makes dumb firing not really worth it even if I were to direct fight. Locking on in facetime is just going to get your components cored while you wait to reacquire locks every time you twist.

Losing locks when twisting in itself doesn't make sense to me, as that seems like behavior that would be limited to a laser designated missile (tag) and not a radar guided one (what I'm assuming lrms are) (though I admit I don't know much about radar).

As I've mentioned before lrms should have had been like tow missiles in direct fire, but that's not going to happen. Srms give you punch, mrms give you speed, and lrms would give you flexibility.

It would be nice if lrms didn't munch legs so much.

What about bringing the variant ammo types out? Infernos etc.

One thing I do find strange is that there's no effort to patch flamers into something usable and balanced. I almost never see them brought out and even then it's only a problem if you have the misfortune to be a heat heavy build. If anything needs normalized it's them. Turn them into an energy machinegun or give them damage over time or something if the heat mechanic is too oppressive.

#197 Dogmeat1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 123 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 08 January 2024 - 10:19 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 08 January 2024 - 09:28 PM, said:

Players who show competence in a given game are generally going to have a far better understanding of its mechanics than those who are not. Who is better qualified to give advice on how to drive a car; someone who can drive or someone who cannot? The Cauldron is represented by a range of casual and competitive players of very differing skill levels and only two of the people you mentioned are in the Cauldron (I am not). Data’s opinions were a minority and did not reflect the views of the majority of Cauldron members on a range of topics. Comp should never be the primary focus on game balance, however, one common theme all cauldron members must have is a basic understanding and competence in the game because if someone lacks the ability to drive a car competently then they shouldn't be telling others how to drive.

AMS works against all missile types, lockon or direct fire, and will only stop a small percentage of missiles unless AMS is stacked in high volume against relatively lower volume missile fire. Direct fire has a far bigger counter in that you must expose in order to shoot and by the simple fact that you need to actually aim to do damage.

Aiming at a small fast-moving target at short range is magnitudes more difficult than simply tracking a lockon with the target reticule. Everyone on the cauldron has a lot of experience using lockons and has used them against better quality light players than you will find in tier 3.

Human aimed weapons have no ability to be fired indirectly over terrain at all and suffer far more issues from clipping terrain than LRMs or ATMs do.

The amount of positioning knowledge required to be effective with LRMs is minimal relative to the experience needed to be effective with any short range or direct fire weapon.

The reality is that if lrms were buffed to an extent that lower tier players are calling for, then those same lower tier players would get farmed out of the game by players who have the ability to exploit lockons. This is speaking from experience of playing through both lurmpocalypses and seeing the data on how many players quit after that. You would get farmed and you would not have a good time.

#198 Shineplasma

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 10:31 PM

View PostMechMaster059, on 08 January 2024 - 09:40 PM, said:

This is THE biggest disadvantage of lock-on weapons and is a HUGE negative for them..

I've seen Mad Dog STREAK boats fire salvo after salvo trying to take down a cored Atlas and they can't do it because their STREAKs keep flying all over the place and hitting armored components.

These concepts are well understood by skilled players. The only ignorance revealed by your words is your own.

Said Mad Dog in your example also gains the ability to one-shot light mechs without aiming. Unfortunately, there is no changing the binary nature of these lock-on mechanics, due to factors mentioned above concerning mwo, cryengine and lack of developers available to re-build lockons from the ground up.

Edited by Shineplasma, 08 January 2024 - 11:21 PM.

#199 Shineplasma

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 10:35 PM

View PostQuicksilver Aberration, on 08 January 2024 - 09:58 PM, said:

Its the price they pay for bad lock-on mechanics, its got nothing to do with homing. Again, there was a certain mech game that had homing weapons that targeted specific sections over 20 years ago. And that fact can't be changed because there is no engineering support for this game. So here we are.

Edit:
My favorite is that in all the quotes of the gold champs. They conveniently left out the best one:

Of course they left that one out. It doesn't fit the victim or conspiracy narratives that are so common on these forum "discussion" threads.

People don't want to understand the game. They just want to complain. Its why direct community engagement by game devs is so rare.

Edited by Shineplasma, 08 January 2024 - 10:39 PM.

#200 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 08 January 2024 - 10:36 PM

View PostShineplasma, on 08 January 2024 - 10:31 PM, said:

These concepts are well understood by skilled players. The only ignorance revealed by your words is your own.

Said Mad Dog in your example also gains the ability to one-shot light mechs without aiming. There is no changing the binary nature of these lock-on mechanics, due to factors mentioned above concerning mwo, cryengine and lack of developers available to re-build lockons from the ground up.

If a light mech get's one-shot by a Mad Dog, then it's the light mechs fault.
The light has complete zone control over a Mad Dog.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users