Which Free Hero Mech To Pick? Is Meta Stabilized To Tell?

BattleMechs

48 replies to this topic

#21 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 12:09 PM

View Postmartian, on 31 March 2024 - 10:08 AM, said:

It is also 10 tons lighter.

which is a big + for me, since im a mediumbro and its easier for me to play 85-90 than 100

View PostPowerlifter, on 31 March 2024 - 11:43 AM, said:

UAC/20 works well with 4 other backup guns. I agree UACs suck in small numbers without jam chance quirks but with 5 of them you're usually able to keep shooting.

The Moonwalker build I posted isn't used for sustained damage. I double tap and retreat.

uac20 range also gimps damage a little bit. in my opinion going for 2UAC10 3UAC5 is a safer option, but thats less dakka right?
going 2UAC 10 3 LBX10 is also an option, but need to do math and test in real fight if its better

dreadnought in comparison can run 4xAC10 so it runs cooler, has better facetanking hitboxes, but mounts are lower on hands.
also very nice 5 energy slots, 3 in CT.

very hard choice man, but i probably should start with moonwalker and get dreadnought for MC since its cheaper. altho i haven't seen DN on sale, but did see MWK

Edited by Vincefeld, 31 March 2024 - 12:10 PM.

#22 Powerlifter

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 10:27 AM

View PostVincefeld, on 31 March 2024 - 12:09 PM, said:

uac20 range also gimps damage a little bit. in my opinion going for 2UAC10 3UAC5 is a safer option, but thats less dakka right?
going 2UAC 10 3 LBX10 is also an option, but need to do math and test in real fight if its better

I use the 10s and 5s together when fighting at > 400m.

I add the 20 when things are < 400m.

I like that extra 40 damage for the Atlas that walks around the corner.

#23 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 12:14 PM

3AC10+2UAC5 Moonwalker is pretty good dakka. ~54kph with a JJ is okay mobility for the firepower, and it has great sustain at a reasonable range. Pretty straightforward to play, no special talents required.

https://mwo.nav-alph...aae_MCII-MWKLGD

Edited by crazytimes, 01 April 2024 - 12:15 PM.

#24 Felbombling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 April 2024 - 02:37 PM

I've got a couple of good ideas, but I'm afraid of the backlash OP might send my way...

"Bro, do you even..." LOL

#25 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,425 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 April 2024 - 07:44 PM

For this Lucky Charms 2024 Event for a free Hero, you have until April 30th 2024 to redeem the Hero mech.
https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

If you're concerned about Meta (or find out how good some of the Legendary Mechs are!), then wait until end-April to redeem!

I myself is eagerly awaiting to see how the mech quirks in the upcoming April patch (on April 23rd ??) would affect these new weapons! This is what I wake to every morning for MWO! ;)

#26 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 01 April 2024 - 08:54 PM

I'm probably going to go with the Catapult Jester. I rarely play assault class mechs and already have most of the light Hero mechs. There are a lot of nice builds for the Jester. The paint job doesn't hurt either!

#27 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 09:09 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 01 April 2024 - 08:54 PM, said:

I'm probably going to go with the Catapult Jester. I rarely play assault class mechs and already have most of the light Hero mechs. There are a lot of nice builds for the Jester. The paint job doesn't hurt either!

"Jester" used to be one of my favorite 'Mechs.

#28 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 01:25 AM

View Post1Exitar1, on 01 April 2024 - 08:54 PM, said:

jester isn't a bad pick at all. Hitboxes are great, hardpoints very unique for chassis.
Its just i want something MC expensive, jester ill get later on sale for MC

#29 MarcinT1981

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 110 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 April 2024 - 01:54 AM

Take one of these (it's best to get the most expensive ones for free)
Annihilator MRM120 + Small Lasers
Fafnir 4xBLC +1xERML or 4xHPPC both with ECM
Boar's Head 6xERLL or 6xERLL 1xGauss
Ultraviolet LRM Boat (Torsos moved to others to have LPL boat, Arms go to others to have 8xAC)
King Crab 3xERPPC 2xLight Gauss
Ravager 2xGauss 1xBLC 1xLL 4x ERML
Kodiak is interesting, I don't recommend it, but if you want to be really unique on the battlefield...... LBX 20, 4xSRM6A, 2xPC with fast engine and MASC, interesting brawler but more of a guilty pleasure (you definitely won't meet another one in the match Posted Image )
These are probably the best of the most expensive ones (apart from Kodiak, it is only expensive)

Edited by MarcinT1981, 02 April 2024 - 02:00 AM.

#30 chaosshade2638

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 91 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:00 AM

I picked the Howl, ATMs HURT with that mech

#31 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 07:17 AM

View PostMarcinT1981, on 02 April 2024 - 01:54 AM, said:

Take one of these (it's best to get the most expensive ones for free)
Annihilator MRM120 + Small Lasers
Fafnir 4xBLC +1xERML or 4xHPPC both with ECM
King Crab 3xERPPC 2xLight Gauss

sorry you will have to be specific which hero mechs are those

Edited by Vincefeld, 02 April 2024 - 07:17 AM.

#32 MarcinT1981

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 110 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 April 2024 - 08:57 AM

View PostVincefeld, on 02 April 2024 - 07:17 AM, said:

sorry you will have to be specific which hero mechs are those

(A) Mean Baby, (F) Wrath, (KC) Kaiju

Edit:
I completely forgot about brawl.
(Highlander IIC)Keeper and (Marauder IIC)Scorch, both 2xlBX20 4xSRM6A
Keeper is stronger and Scorch is easier to play
If you want a poptart, IS HIghlander Heavy Metal (crosshair doesn't shake) 2xAC5 (or 2xLAC5) and 2xHPPC
There is also Zeus Skokomish MRM100 and MASC

I would recommend Anni, Fafnir or Ravager (and of course Sleipnir)

Edited by MarcinT1981, 02 April 2024 - 09:09 AM.

#33 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:06 AM

Any clan omni you like but I'll mention few
1. Ultraviolet (Assault class, Direwolf chassis)

The ULTRAVIOLENT has 2 arm pods you'd want, they both have 2xballistic (2B)
Mixed with a DWF torso and 2 ST pods from the B you get 8 ballistic points, so you can make a 8 UAC2 with ECM DWF that can melt people from <800m or less

2. Grinner (Light and Wolfhound)

ECM running at 130kph with 5 medium laser delivering 25 damage every 3 seconds

3. Pirates Bane (Light, Locust)

The Peanutbutter (PB) or Pirates Bane is able to run 160+ and carry stealth and ECM, down side is you have very little fire power, but if you like running to the back of the fight and poke people in the butts while dropping UAVs this is the stealthiest

4. Saber (Incubus hero, light)

Run 150 with 3 SRM 6 and 3 APGauss, I would have previously said this was a kind of jank mech with its weird mix but this build was a lot of fun, so if they don't nerf these weapons this is a fun ride

5. Purifier (Kit Fox, Light)

You get a 4 or so laser hardpoints from this heroes pods so you can make a laser vomit kit fox that has 3 AMS and ECM (laser AMS was made very strong so you can mix 2 LAMS with an AMS or use 3 LAMS without having to toggle it off all the time)

6. Cipher (Piranha, light)

Fast at 140 KPH and lots of fire power

7. K9 (Urban Mech, Light)

Slower at 97 kph but you can put 5 medium pulse lasers on it with lots of DHS and this one is killer with its police siren and lights (just don't use it when you don't want the enemy to see and hear you)

8. Paralyzer (Hellspawn, medium)

You can you a massive engine, lots of heatsinks and 6 medium pulse lasers or a mix of lighter weapons like SRMs with the lasers

9. Yen Low Wang (Centurion, Medium)

Old but still fun, can put an AC20 in the arm and 2 MPL in the chest and learn to twist. This mech is great for learning how to brawl effectively, just fire the AC20+2MPL then turn and face away and then your weapons finish CD and you're already turning back and firing, this will make it so people aren't drilling your CT, if you can't learn this you'll be at a disadvantage against those of us who can

10. Ares (Griffin, Medium)

4 Energy and 2 B but also PPC quirks so you can dump 3 ERPPC on it and hit for 30 damage at 800m

11. Frenzy (Dervish, Medium)

This is a very fast SRM splat machine, you can put 4 SRM6 and 4 SRM2 on it without ghost heat (SRM2 has no bonus ghost heat so you can put 8 of them on if you want)

12. Pakhet (Hunstman, Medium)

2B LT and you can swap in ALL the missile pods from other Huntsman to make a 8 SRM boat

13. Rainbow Crow (Iceferret, Medium)

Has ECM but you can't give the ECM to others but you can put other pods on it for 5 medium lasers at 140kph or 2 ERLL or whatever

14. Butterbee (Catapult, Heavy)

4 missile and 4 energy, be creative

15. Jester (Catapult, Medium)

Can be a Large Laser sniper or a PPC sniper or you can do other things

16. Crael (Crusader, Heavy)

This can have 8 Magshot and 4 SRM6 which is a HUGE alpha and you can delete legs with just a few splats

17. Bounty Hunter 2 (Marauder, Heavy)

Big ballistic like and AC20 and 7 medium lasers

18. Powerhouse (Roughneck, Heavy)

The roughnecks are double quirked with Armor AND Structure so they can brawl, this one you can put on 3 SRM and an AC20 and be a mini atlas

19. Ambush (Sunspider, Heavy)

Has pods for 2 UAC10 and 4 lasers

20. Black Widow (Warhammer, Heavy)

This one is a lot of fun, it looks cool and it can carry 2 shoulder ballistic and energy weapons

21. Sleipnir (Cyclops, Assautl)

This is a monster, lots of Ballistic options

22. Keeper (Highlander IIC, Assault)

This one can fit 2 LBX20 and 4 SRM6 like a scorch

23. Scorch (Marauder IIC, Assault)

Can splat build brawl

24. Spirit Bear (Kodiak, Assault)

It isn't the best but if you like the Atlas, this is a Clan atlas in its essence as you bring 4 SRM and a UAC20 and brawl MASC is the best part, vroom vrrooom

25. Death Strike (Madcat 2, Assault)

This is an INSANELY good mech, Gauss+laservomit or PPC + Gauss

26. Alpha (Marauder 2, Assault)

Big quirk to fire 2 ERPPC and 2 Gauss comfortably

27. Boiler (Super Nova, Assault)

3 SRM 6 and 2 LBX20 is fun, you can't do much else with it though as it doesn't have enough of 1 particular hardpoint to boat 1 type of weapon, but it is still a great ride

As a rule of thumb, I didn't add ALL the clan omnis, but I would have because you can swap pods

These are just the ones I own, I don't know them all

This list 2024, can change with quirk changes and weapon adjustments

I'm going to have all the heroes at someone point if the game doesn't shut down anytime soon

Edited by Xetelian, 10 April 2024 - 10:07 AM.

#34 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 11:10 PM

After much consideration MOONWALKER was picked as my free event mech over DREADNOUGHT due to following:
1)not bad hitboxes(if they were a problem, i'd take dreadnought to be safe with my mediocre piloting)
2)5 high mounted ballistic HPs, 4 of them in arms to track faster mechs or shoot high/low(can't do on dread)
3)dread not having JJ buried it for me even more, walking around small obstacles sucks for slow assault
4)90t is a lot better than 100t in soloq where traveling at -50kph kills you often
5)finally having enough firepower to trade with AKSUM. 4 ballistic HPs weren't enough on MCII-B

Overall not too happy with upgrade over MCII-B. Getting additional UAC5 and that's it, not even small 10%CD or heat quirk.
But what can you do? only wait for AKSUM for MC or next powercreep spike such as rifleman III.

Not crapping on DREADNOUGHT, its an excelent mech and got it's own advantages:
1)almost pinpoint, very cool 4xAC10 build with higher dps which no other mech in game lighter than 100t can run
2)better hitboxes where arms shield body better and slim front profile
3)5 energy HP, (3 in head and CT) to retain firepower after losing side, can also run gaussvomit
4)prefer 85t over 90t due to better power/weight ratio

#35 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:24 AM

as i will always say in these situations pick something you like the look of. you don't have to play meta mechs with meta builds to have fun or even to do well in MWO. if there is a chassis you like and don't have the hero, go for it. hell if the mech just has a really cool paint job thats a good enough reason in my book to go with it (hell i am looking at you Battlemaster Hero). not sure what i am going to go with since i already have most of the heroes i have any interest in. there are still one or two that might be interesting. i will have to wait and see as i still have a bit to go on the event (been sick lately and haven't been playing any games really). i might take something from the medium category or an Assault, as a heavy mech pilot i already have all the heavies that interest me.

(if you call yourself a top tier Elite but all you play is meta then you aren't that e"Elite", pull the same numbers in a ****** mech with a less than optimal build and then come back and talk about how skilled you are.)

#36 Vincefeld

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:47 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 14 April 2024 - 06:24 AM, said:

as i will always say in these situations pick something you like the look of. you don't have to play meta mechs with meta builds to have fun or even to do well in MWO. if there is a chassis you like and don't have the hero, go for it. hell if the mech just has a really cool paint job thats a good enough reason in my book to go with it (hell i am looking at you Battlemaster Hero). not sure what i am going to go with since i already have most of the heroes i have any interest in. there are still one or two that might be interesting. i will have to wait and see as i still have a bit to go on the event (been sick lately and haven't been playing any games really). i might take something from the medium category or an Assault, as a heavy mech pilot i already have all the heavies that interest me.
(if you call yourself a top tier Elite but all you play is meta then you aren't that e"Elite", pull the same numbers in a ****** mech with a less than optimal build and then come back and talk about how skilled you are.)

Why did you reply to solved topic?
Is this supposed to be personal attack on skill or something? Well in that case i'm top 77% on Jarls, you can not read the rrest.

Its a stale water game with sweaty vets that can humiliate me even if i play S tier meta mech while they bring worst of the worst F tier mechs not even quirks can save.
Not a lot of new players that match my skill level to have a fair fight. So my only option is to give myself unfair advantage to deal damage to vets while they busy shooting my teammates. And moment they done with my teammate and look at me, only hitboxes, lag and luck can delay my death just enough to finish em.

#37 VanBurenPhilips

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 02:50 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 14 April 2024 - 06:24 AM, said:

as i will always say in these situations pick something you like the look of. you don't have to play meta mechs with meta builds to have fun or even to do well in MWO. if there is a chassis you like and don't have the hero, go for it. ...

I agree with that ^
And to add to it, personal preference and playstyle make waaaaay way more difference than many people acknowledge (both for enjoyment and results). Meta discussions give this zero consideration, but it's more important than any consensus on best builds. If you build for a style you're good at & have a blast playing, it will perform far better FOR YOU than shoehorning yourself into a meta you don't click with.

I went for Moonwalker and it's good, but I kinda regret not picking MAD Alpha. I'm more of an IS guy and it has some mid-close range kaboom builds that seem fun (at least in testing grounds). That is my anecdote, I hope you all liked it (takes a bow).

Miser tip: pick the heaviest one you're interested in when it's a freebie, save MC buying the lighter ones (on sale, of course).

#38 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 04:09 PM

Of the legendary mechs you can choose as rewards for march loot bags, most of them are extremely good picks. IMHO.

#39 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 09:34 AM

how about war emu for IS side?

#40 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 April 2024 - 12:21 PM

i ended up going with the Nightstar: Wolf Phoenix. not for any real reason other than i was wanting to try something with Thunderbolts. the build i went with is nothing amazing, (i started with 4 TB-10s with 4 MLs for backup but ghost heat was a pain so i settled on 2 TB-15s and 2 TB-5s with the 4 MLs. haven't played any matches in it yet as i am still under the weather). i was sort of leaning between it and the Mauler: Knockout since Maulers are one of those nostalgia mechs for me and i can see it running really well with S.B. Gauss. in the end i settle for the Wof Pheonix because i don't really have a mech in the Assault class that i run LRM/TB on. (hoping the new balance pass makes TB usable at least) if nothing else i can always switch it over to some kind of LRM build later.

View PostVincefeld, on 16 April 2024 - 10:47 PM, said:

Is this supposed to be personal attack on skill or something?

not at all, its more a personal aggravation at the very vocal minority that always chime up that someone has to play only these 4 mechs with only a limited number of builds if they want to be "good". those top 10% of players who think just because they are on the top of some digital leaderboard (that the majority of players couldn't give two shits about) that their opinion is the only one that maters.

as for a mech that fits what you were looking for in your OP quad LAC/5s with some laser backup on the Roughneck Bolt is really fun. S.B. Gauss on the Slepnir is also really good as well same for the Knockout i would imagine.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 22 April 2024 - 01:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users