272 replies to this topic

#261 Ruediger Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 08:17 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 19 August 2024 - 04:08 PM, said:

There are two principles in play here: controlling context, and the principle of charity. The original comment you took exception to was in response to your anecdote about having 90% of your matches be stomps. Now, in that context, and applying the principle of charity, it's pretty obvious that he thought you meant you lost 90% of your matches; thus the proper response was something to the effect of "No, I meant that 90% of my matches turned into stomps, not that I lost 90% of them. I think the game mode is unbalanced based on my experiences last night."

Smokefield misunderstood your post, but it was your immediate recourse to disparaging commentary and meme-posting in lieu of explanation that derailed the conversation.

Posted Image

#262 Raydeen

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 08:38 AM

I don't like the 8v8. PGI is committed to groups, and the matchmaker doesn't work with groups being included. They have had 8v8 events already. So they did this for some reason. 8v8 will get boring fast and most of the mechs won't have a place.

PGI will spend ten times the effort on one of their pet bad ideas. than the tiniest effort on a good idea. It really seems like a bad time to piss off a ton of customers since they have bet the farm on MW5 CLANS.

#263 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 444 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 20 August 2024 - 09:38 AM

Enjoyed it very much, it did show how out of balance some players are and the TIER-system doesn't exist.

Tier is not based on team play capabilities.
Not using voip and no Co-Op resulted in big losses 9 out 10.

Ps: also showed players should not be allowed Assault in there first 100 days.

#264 Jon Gotham

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 10:10 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 17 August 2024 - 03:15 AM, said:

No offense, but it's better to mention the reason for the "hate" rather than a meaningless and simplistic description of your feelings.

When you examine why you hate this event, you'll find that it's 'cause PGI dropped the ball w.r.t the most basic of matchmaker tweaks, such as tonnage balance and group size.

As you outlined in your post, part of the reason I had no fun during this was the playerbase. Played around 30 games, got team work in i think if i remember correctly-4 of them.
Vast majority of matches had people doing super solo things, running off wherever they want, doing whatever they want.
I felt as if I had to bring my own A+ game EVERY match or it was a loss, and I'm a decidedly average player. I simply couldn't relax and enjoy the game. I stopped playing lights and meds, as most of my games were decided by initial alpha strike trading...who got hurt the most the fastest.
8v8 worked back in beta, with lower alphas and restricted mech tech.

In most of the games i played, if 1-2 guys on my team did something stupid or wandered off or had a build without vast alpha damage we lost. The snowball effect in 8v8 is even more pronounced.
My personal performance was awful though, a third of my normal damage output and kills. I like to be aggressive and found that vast majority of the time i couldn't-if I couldn't get my team to be as aggressive I fell flat on my face.
Anecdotal I know but I also felt I got focused way faster. I achieved my fastest death record in my Wrath last night, 5 seconds from contact. 5 seconds CT gone....and also in a separate game acheived lowest damage ever in an assault 221....both teams were vroom vroom teams and I simply couldn't engage at all....lowest output in an assault in over 20k games.

I've not minded the scouting queue in FP as that is heavily tonnage limited but this was atrocious and made all the worse by being FORCED onto us.
The idea of solo queue also needs to be dropped-and permanently. It's an online massively multiplayer game-that's the draw. These games are meant to be socially driven. Grouping "should" be normal and not seen as cheating or farming. that perspective is indicative of some questionable thinking.
During this "experience" I played with and against multiple groups-it really didn't matter to be honest. Lost to a few and smashed quite a few. As long as the solos i was with would speak AND listen-we did good no matter the opponents groups or not. It was when the solos went full super solo it went south

As someone else on this thread mentioned, things would have to change for this to work and ultimately the one thing that needs to change the most are the players themselves.
Super solo mentality needs to go-anti group hate and avoidance also. Overly timid self-centred play also.
ALL the people i have introduced to the game bar one exception have left the game because of the super solo mentality and super timid playstyle. When I asked them what was wrong, that was the top two things they mentioned, stating that all the other games we play together are not like this-they couldn't understand why this playerbase is like this.
The playerbase's attitude needs a radical shift frankly. It's the single wierdest community in any online game I have ever played in those regards.

Edited by Jon Gotham, 20 August 2024 - 10:14 AM.

#265 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 12:37 PM

Posted Image IN SUMMARY

The ease, with which this event had re-ignited all of the MWO fan's anxieties, showed us what?
Don't touch the baby. Posted Image QP 12v12 is where the game lives.

Community Anxiety: People don't want "foot-in-the-door" type of experiments. People know this is a small player base, folks don't want to lose more participants - death of MWO.

A big chunk of players: do not care to play competitively, do not care for a possibility of stupid talk on comms, do not care to play in META.

A big chunk of players: want META, want comms, want cortisol, want competition..

It is about FUN! What is fun for one person, is not fun for another.

Posted Image Add to the game, do not subtract.
Posted Image Options.

PS. Devs. Thanks for all of your work and love of MWO! GLHF

#266 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 20 August 2024 - 01:28 PM

Changing the match size neither subtracts nor adds to MWO.

#267 herabuna

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2024 - 07:36 PM

I don't like the 8v8.

#268 Big-G

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFormerly New Capetown, now Kikuyu - Lyran Alliance

Posted 21 August 2024 - 02:41 PM

8v8 does not work well on large maps... and especially with Conquest mode it's a shamble.

#269 Numeritor

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 03:14 PM

I miss 8v8 so much :( please bring it back or at least 10v10.

#270 Bronze Dragon

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 August 2024 - 08:12 PM

View PostTiy0s, on 17 August 2024 - 12:26 PM, said:

but almost every community discord server I’m in is generally for 8v8.

There is probably a heavy skew for groups in discord. And groups more easily dominate the smaller matches. Gen pub will stick to the in-game comms.

#271 Raydeen

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2024 - 04:06 PM

Before groups were in quick play. people used the voip much more regularly. When groups came in quick play it disappeared overnight.

#272 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 August 2024 - 06:53 PM

Uncommunicative teams have always been a thing. So much so that people have written entire guides to circumvent and alleviate the problem.

#273 Redrumcomet

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2024 - 02:56 PM

so i enjoyed the 8v8. it really put to the point of sticking with the group and keeping heat off your buddies. i also had to redesign my mechs for more balance between DPS and alpha. i had several very enjoyable close range skirmishes.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users