Clan's [will] be playable in MWO

227 replies to this topic

#201 qultar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostJakob Knight, on 02 November 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

So you think Clan players would -want- to run IS mechs, and use IS tech when they have Clan tech to choose from? You think 10 Timberwolfs with more firepower than a Gausscat will be balancable against 12 Inner Sphere mechs of any kind?

I hope you are joking, quiaff?

As i posted 10 on 12 will need work but 5 on 8 i think is good

Some will want to run IS mech with clan tech i already seen players talking about it and there are some IS only gear that is nice
i think that they need to not let it mix so just from looking you will know what you face

#202 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostAshla Mason, on 01 November 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

For this, you'd be correct, but my logic for doing such a thing would be to try and work within the existing gameplay model while giving a nod to the nature of clan society.

Further, it would reflect the Clan Hierarchy allocating resources to stars and points that prove themselves more worthy then others.

Let me put it another way. Clans have their own sets of currency. Performance and honor. Both of them contribute to rank, command, privileges and prestige. It is much harder to gain honor because at times it seemingly contradicts performance considerations. Performance without honor is deemed waste- and shameful by most Clan Warriors.

To make it short: the moment you want to monetize the Clans way of war, you are doing them a serious disservice. They don't fight for money in the first place, very much like the samurai back in the days of old Japan. That's a major difference compared to the IS. Please re-evaluate your logic in this particular case.

#203 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 07 November 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

Let me put it another way. Clans have their own sets of currency. Performance and honor. Both of them contribute to rank, command, privileges and prestige. It is much harder to gain honor because at times it seemingly contradicts performance considerations. Performance without honor is deemed waste- and shameful by most Clan Warriors.

To make it short: the moment you want to monetize the Clans way of war, you are doing them a serious disservice. They don't fight for money in the first place, very much like the samurai back in the days of old Japan. That's a major difference compared to the IS. Please re-evaluate your logic in this particular case.

Actually, the Clans do have a hard currency unit, called a Kerensky (with what references I can find indicating that 1 Kerensky equates to 5.13 c-bills).
That Clan Jade Faclon and Clan Wolf use it is listed on the official BattleTech site, and it is presumably the universal currency unit among the Clans.

It would be fairly easy to implement a Clan economy where Clan players are compensated with Kerenskies (or would it be "Kerenskys"?) based on battle performance (much as IS players are compensated with c-bills), where personal honor (as determined by how one plays the game and an honor system integrated into the game itself) serves as a multiplier - "more honorable" players would have a larger multiplier and would thus be better-able to afford to maintain a stable of higher-priced units (e.g. highly-customized Mad Cats and Daishi) while "less honorable" players would have a smaller multiplier and could only reasonably afford to run lower-priced units (e.g. IIC-caliber/non-OmniTech units)...

#204 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

Thanks for pointing out the obvious Sherlock. We are talking about the Warrior class of the Clans here. If you want to mix both up, warriors and civilians, well that just shows how little you know about the monumental difference between them in Clan society.

Apples and oranges.

#205 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Clan puggers vs IS premade would be interesting.

Then give bonusses for first kill and penalties for killstealing and such.

#206 dal10

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 November 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

clan puggers would not stand a chance, hell a clan premade that followed zellbringen would be extremely hard pressed to win, tech advantage or not. 1-2 of their mechs would go down in seconds to massed fire

#207 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

and that act itself would free them for single combat. Then it would be a brutal match on both sides.

#208 Enig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 594 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:11 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 07 November 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

That mentality is exactly how the IS won the war in the first place.

Clans: "Oh just send in whomever"

InnerSphere: "**** we're fighting for our homes and families, we'd better get organized"

#209 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostNinja Penguin, on 28 July 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

The LAST thing we need is all the Clan Fanboys running around with I WIN MECHS

If Clan's mechs are OP - so battles should be in format: 8 IS vs 6 C. Fair?

#210 Rannos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:29 AM

Wow way to revive a three month dead thread. Far country?

#211 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostRannos, on 30 January 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Far country?

I know you want more threads to play with, but no, reviving old threads is no reason for a move.

#212 Sedant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 243 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

Just hope everyone is aware that in the battletech canon, mechs like the Timberwolf were 24 million c-bills, a Dire Wolf was 29 million c-bills. Everyones talking like its only gonna be a set elite group of people that will be allowed to play these mechs. To me that sounds absurd, everyones gonna get to play them, your just going to have to make nearly quadruple the cost of your average inner sphere counterpart in most cases if your going to want to pilot one.

#213 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostRannos, on 30 January 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Far country?

It depends on the point of view. For me - you live at the edge of the world. :huh:

View PostSedant, on 30 January 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Just hope everyone is aware that in the battletech canon, mechs like the Timberwolf were 24 million c-bills, a Dire Wolf was 29 million c-bills.

Normal prices for such mechs. In case of R&R return - it's be more fun, I think.

Edited by Warge, 30 January 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#214 Borias Zarkhan

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFlanders, Belgium

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Just not to be trolled by the Clan haters and because i love Zelbrigen and the Clan rivalries i'd love to have 2 'servers' or 'settings'. One where the player plays the Inner Sphere and one where there is the Clan side of things pre invasion.
I'd also love for both servers to be open to players so that they can play both a clan pilot and an IS one.

But franky despite being a huge fan of the Falcons and Hellions... the game currently needs:

1) far more maps
2) a robust faction system that is tested and tried using the Houseas as a basis
3) far more mechs of the IS side. (5 More or so per weight class)

Then and only then the more complex aspect of the Clans should be introduced.

#215 BlackJackRaider

• PipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • 84 posts
  • LocationThe nordic hinterland of the Midwest

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostWarge, on 30 January 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Normal prices for such mechs. In case of R&R return - it's be more fun, I think.

I've been saving my founder's premium time for this. As I see it, the only way to make the clans somewhat balanced is to make them absurdly expensive to run. I know a lot of people hate World of Tanks comparisons, but it would almost have to be like playing tier 10s on a free account there. You might break even on a win where you survive, but a loss (or even win where you don't perform all that well) would cost so much that you have to go back to the more economical units (whether that is IS mechs or tier 5 tanks) for 3 matches to make up your losses. Without R&R, my guess is we would just see tons of people grinding out their Clan mechs all the time and stomping people who can't build up the C-bills for clan tech.

Also, what is the MC cost on these bad boys going to be? An Atlas DDC is worth 10.49mil Cbills, and costs 4195 MC. A Direwolf is worth nearly 3 times as many Cbills, so is that going to be 12000 MC? That's $49.99 for a non-hero variant.

#216 Halwin

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

Why not make it salvage rules you got to kill one befor you get one and in this case earn the right to keep it by earning/buying some kind of permit or some thing along those lines maybe even collect all the parts to build a whole one

#217 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:55 AM

Dev Blog 1 - Community Warfare

Faction Warfare

The Inner Sphere is broken up into several factions, each with their own regions and sub-regions. Each faction is warring with at least one other faction at all times in a universal territory battle. Players can be active or passive participants in this battle by following one of three paths:
  • Pledging Allegiance to a Faction
  • Joining a Mercenary Corporation
  • Remaining Neutral
At its core, the territory battle is a fight for resources – planets. Planets are divided into three types. Each type requires a more active level of participation by the player and as a result earns a greater reward.
  • Core Worlds – Are managed by the dev team. These are worlds that necessary for future planning and part of major historical events.
  • Faction Worlds – Are fought over by Faction players. These planets buffer core and border worlds, and do not play a significant role in major historical events. Rewards for controlling these planets are directly linked to global bonuses and abilities associated with a player’s Faction.
  • Border Worlds – Are fought over via a contract bidding system by player run Mercenary Corporations. These planets change hands on a regular basis, and have no impact on historical events. Rewards for controlling a boarder world are significant and go directly to the occupying Merc Corp.
It’s important to state now, that worlds can change from Border to Faction to Core, or any combination thereof, at any time by the development team. This will be necessary to facilitate dramatic changes in faction territory control as we progress through some tumultuous times within the BattleTech® universe.

Faction Worlds

The battle for control over faction planets is a simple war of attrition. The faction with the most influence over a particular planet occupies it. By virtue of simply competing in online matches, faction players contribute influence points to target planets.
Border Worlds

Mercenary Corporations can bid and fight for occupation rights of border worlds throughout the Inner Sphere. Merc Corps must bid on a planet’s occupation rights via a system of contracts generated by the game.
A match or series of matches are set up between the defending Merc Corp and the challenger. The victor is determined from the results of each match, and takes control of the planet. They are rewarded with an immediate contract payout, and will continue to earn rewards while they occupy the planet.

If a Factions is only fighting another Factions, and Mercs are only fighting against another Mercs, would this not mean that Clanners are only fighting Clanners?

http://mwomercs.com/...-developer-qa-2

Edited by Skylarr, 02 February 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#218 SADOFATE

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 15 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

A great many players have already selected Factions by selecting the colors of some of the IS Houses. So what if I wanted to switch to Clan Ghost Bear upon Launch?

#219 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

View PostSADOFATE, on 09 February 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

A great many players have already selected Factions by selecting the colors of some of the IS Houses. So what if I wanted to switch to Clan Ghost Bear upon Launch?

Then you'd click a different icon. :D

#220 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostSedant, on 30 January 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Just hope everyone is aware that in the battletech canon, mechs like the Timberwolf were 24 million c-bills, a Dire Wolf was 29 million c-bills. Everyones talking like its only gonna be a set elite group of people that will be allowed to play these mechs. To me that sounds absurd, everyones gonna get to play them, your just going to have to make nearly quadruple the cost of your average inner sphere counterpart in most cases if your going to want to pilot one.

Should keep it that way so every new player off the street cannot hope straight into a Timber Wolf or Summoner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users