107 replies to this topic

#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

This month’s theme is all about Information Warfare.

Read this http://mwomercs.com/support#faq and this http://mwomercs.com/...-blog-0-reboot/ first.

Rules:
  • Read the entire thread before posting a question.
  • Only questions about Information Warfare please.
  • Do not reply, discuss, or respond to any questions in this thread.
Keep it clean please. The easier it is for use to read, the more likely we’ll answer your question.

Now get to asking, we can't wait to see your questions!

#2 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

How many module slots are we going to get? Is it dependent on the size of the mech? Are they categorized based on a certain convention? Other than being unlocked, how do they relate to player skills? Or are unlocked modules simply the by-product of the player progression system?

#3 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

Does this mean that modules do not add additional tonnage or take up criticals (if criticals are even in the game)? If I understand correctly, modules will ONLY take up space in the module board, and nothing else?

Edited by Orzorn, 04 January 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#4 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

Can anybody use the BattleGrid or will it be linked to either a commander or a specific module? Will certain modules affect what can be seen or done on the BattleGrid or is it all available?

#5 VanillaG

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

You mention that as long a teammate has LOS/D a mech can be targeted. Does this mean that if I am in a Catapult and mech is detected behind a hill and I do NOT have direct LOS/D I can still launch LRMs at him and they would arc over the hill to hit him?

You mention that you can see support units. Can you provide a list of available support units and their roles?

#6 RangerRob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationEarthworks Inc., Cataphract Plant, Tikonov

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Will the size of the mech determine it's module space? Will it be the same amount of space for all mechs? Or will it vary from Chassis to Chassis?

Will a Light "scout" mech potentially have more module space than an "Attacker" Assault mech?
Will a Raven (35 Tons) have more module space than a Panther (35 Tons) or a Jenner (35 Tons)? (Assuming they are all ingame eventually)

#7 Hanyit Greyhame

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

Will different mech chassis and designations (Scout, Brawler, etc, such as the Raven being a "Scout") affect the modules that can be equipped to said mech? Or will it be a free for all as long as one has space?

#8 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

What will this do to the various probe/ECM packages that show up- the 3025 Raven ECM pack, Beagle probes, Guardian ECM systems? Will they act as boosters to modules, or a "package deal" of options?

#9 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Do "modules" cover things that DO, historically, take critical slots and weight such as the Beagle Active Probe, the Guardian ECM suite, targeting computers, and C3 master/slave computers? Based on this quote, "Sharing of target information is also no longer inclusive and requires a Module or C3 Master/Slave unit.", it sounds like modules will be stepping on the toes of the C3. What are you going to do to prevent the C3 from becoming obsolete? How is the C3 different than a "target linking" module?

With the new focus on line of sight/detection, will we be given detailed information on when a mech is actually disabled/destroyed, even if they leave our line of sight/detection area? For example, if two groups of mechs are fighting on the other side of a map from you, will we be informed that "Joe McWarrior has just destroyed Bob McUrbie! Joe is on a killing spree!", or will we have to have line of sight/detection of the actual event occurring to get this information?

Can you make the BattleGrid have a "look down at the display" animation instead of just popping up a full screen window? Immersion is a wonderful thing. ^_^

Are there modules available that effect the information/capabilities of the BattleGrid?

How do you classify what mechs specialize in the Information Gathering role? Traditionally, not all light mechs are scouts, there are mechs of every weight category that fill the scouting role. A prime example being the Charger. Will this distinction be available in MechWarrior Online?

We have confirmation of "Night Vision", which leads me to believe we will be able to fight at night. Will we also be able to fight in inclement weather? If we can, will it (fog, rain, snow) effect line of sight/detection?

Edited by Dihm, 04 January 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

Will communicaton between teammates take place via preset text messages sent via keyboard binds (or a message-menu system), customizable text messages sent via keyboard, or an in-game voice client of some sort?

Edited by Prosperity Park, 04 January 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#11 Riordan Lionheart

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

This system sounds similar to what was used in the "cult classic" xbox mech/tank game Chromehounds. Was the info warfare system being developed for this game at all inspired by the more realistic elements of Chromehounds?

#12 Mezzanine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

What will happen to a pilot when their mech is destroyed, from the angle of information warfare? Will the pilot be booted from the match, allowed to observe as a "spectator" or locked to their destroyed mech (with a voluntary or involuntary ability to exit the match)?

#13 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'm interested in this new Module format. You're clearly taking us away from the old system, indeed!

How are modules planned to be organized? Will they be equipped in standard slots/hardpoints (ie: head, torso, arms, legs) or role-based ones (T&T, ECM, engine, armor, weapon 1, weapon 2 and so on). Will these slots vary between 'Mechs? Are there going to be any arbitrary restrictions on the type and number of modules that can be applied to any given 'Mech? (Is weight a factor?) Will modules differ in quality? Manufacturer (sidegrades)? How will we get our hands on these modules? Do modules factor into the greater war picture (do we need to capture specific planets to make certain modules available)?

#14 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

FoW, or fog of war:
My question is, will there be any fog of war? I want to know if we will see the mechs we are looking at under all conditions, or not (we look at them, but they are too far for us to see them). I would love to get an answer for this, because I could not make it out from the blog itself. ^_^

UAV launch:
Another question is, will the UAV be launched from the mech as seen in the old trailer, or is it going to fly above the battlefield from the begining of the match/ called in by one of the mechwarriors themselves? :rolleyes:

Detectors:
I would also like to ask about the detectors you mentioned in the Dev Blog. Are they going to functon like some kind of deployable we can get with ourselves in the match? Are they going to be in/visible, et cetera. B)

Spoofers:
Same question about the spoofers mentioned in the Dev Blog too. :blink:

Battlegrid restrictions:
With the introduction of battlegrid, is every player in the match allowed to use all of it's functions, or are they restricted to specific persons (the commander can call in the satelite scan, but other people can only mark a position on the map and it's up to commander to send it or not)? ;)

Surveillance ECM:
What kind of information does surveillance gives? Positions of enemies on the map, communications, etc.? <_<
Also, how does it work? Do we have to be near the enemy mech, or hack into some of their mechs,...? :blink:

Spotting target:
Is spotting a target for friendly mech using long range weaponry, possible? Also, can they lock onto targets, so a light mech will mark a target and the Catapult will fire a direted salvo from anywhere on the map to the mech location.

Thank you for the answers and I hope we will see some part of the body of said new mech on the picture. :blink:

Edited by Adridos, 07 January 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#15 MilitantMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

How will modules be obtained? You mentioned that they come from the skill tree. Will some be purchasable? Will there be House specific ones or rather Loyalty based ones?

Will different 'mechs have different number of module slots or types of slots?

#16 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

View PostAdridos, on 04 January 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

My question is, will there be any fog of war? I want to know if we will see the mechs we are looking at under all conditions, or not (we look at them, but they are too far for us to see them). I would love to get an answer for this, because I could not make it out from the blog itself. ^_^

@ Ghost: No discussion on modules, except for the ECM, 3Ci and the third one, sorry. ;)

Awww. There ain't no justice.

In that case I want to know more about C3. Is there a maximum range? If you mount a Master unit does that make you a de facto lance leader? What happens if more than three people in a match have Master units? Will average MechWarriors have access to all those battlefield views you mentioned, or is there a special commander role in store for us?

And also the one thing I didn't see in the blog... Will voice communication be included and will it have any role in information warfare? (Can it be disrupted?)

Edited by Ghost, 04 January 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#17 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

BattleGrid
...The BattleGrid is an extension of the HUD and allows players to quickly review the tactical situation at hand. Players will immediately recognize elements from other successful shooters and previous MechWarrior® products.

1. Does this mean the BattleGrid is accessible from the HUD in the cockpit, or does it require you to go to a secondary screen (thus obstructing the view of your surroundings)?

Detection Modes

...Night Vision – Allows players to see more detail in low light situations.

2. Is there environmental effects currently being tested in Beta?

Edited by Kaemon, 04 January 2012 - 11:27 AM.

#18 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:19 AM

Will UAVs have infrared, magnometers, motion tracking, or other visualization tools beyond regular, plain imaging?

#19 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

• Will the usage of ECM, TAG, C3 and similar potential technologies influence negatively on 'honor score' (like it sated in zellbrigen)?
  • Will UAV's flight/movement be player controllable?

Edited by IxxxI, 04 January 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#20 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Since we'll have night vision, does this mean that glorious searchlight on the Warhammer will be able to be used to blind those poor saps using it? Hopefully as badly/worse as the tactical light in Battlefield 3 (pre-fix). That may be a tad cruel...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users