Honor Among Thieves (Signup)

736 replies to this topic

#41 The Outlaw Kazzen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Sounded like a good idea for an ex-Drac. Having some form of martial arts training.

#42 Rasengetsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCanada, Quebec

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

So uh, I've always been a BIG fan of RPs, and a big fan of Mechwarrior. Sadly, my knowledge of battletech and their mech collection is somewhat low, but if you'll have me anyways I'll gladly make a bio and read up on whatever I need. :D

#43 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

View PostRasengetsu, on 30 July 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

So uh, I've always been a BIG fan of RPs, and a big fan of Mechwarrior. Sadly, my knowledge of battletech and their mech collection is somewhat low, but if you'll have me anyways I'll gladly make a bio and read up on whatever I need. :D

I'm sure that the helpful folks here will be happy to help you fill in the blanks. Don't be shy!

#44 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:54 PM

The problem with saying 'I have an epic background but don't worry, I'll nerf myself to be on a par with your joe bloggs character' is then you're playing a Joe Bloggs character. Which your background says you really, really aren't.
I mean yours in particular is just...(Sounds of Spear's brain grinding to a halt).

Experience in a dozen martial arts is kind of okay, I have very loose experience with about half a dozen in real life just from talking to friends who follow them and have taught me the odd move or two. By which I mean, I think I know three or four ways to kick someone in the chest but I cannot for the life of me remember when each one is appropriate...

But your knowledge goes all the way up to very advanced covert ops and hacking (Incidents with the sword stealing [Also apparently the ability to weaken tens of swords, swiftly, without reforging them, in such a way as to not be noticed, despite them having been forged by a master smith] and the Coordinator's personal computer. The rest of the Sphere can't even get a spy to work in the same building without being caught, but you got into his bedchamber to get at his PC...) and you know how to rapidly hack a battlemech and rewire it to fit your neural patterns (A procedure that takes hours)...
Your character in universe is basically akin to a God. I don't mean to come across as aggressively as Vodka has, but since he has rather inelegantly breached the issue (I apologise for my fellow RPer, Vodka is living up to his namesake currently), Dai10 is simply several orders of magnitude above the rest of the party.

The only way to RP to your background and still be on a par with the rest of the characters is to nerf your background heavily, taking out a lot, if not all of the more extreme odds and ends. As Xin says, we're all badasses here, Dirk's the badass bookworm with a hard on for technology, Thom is an ex-Russian mobster who joined the Big Mac and stole one of their mechs (Getting away with it to boot), ChaosGrinder has a shady background involving the 1st Kathil Ulans and a stolen Atlas, Xin is the GM...
You can be a badass too, without being above and beyond the party in every conceivable way you thought of at the time :unsure:
And usually, you can have a lot more fun too!

I am however very glad to hear the ban on Party Kill! Amusing as it can be, I tend to end up on the wrong end of it <_<

EDIT: Rasengetsu, I'm busy tanking a resit today and tomorrow, and flying to America on Wedsnesday, but if you send me a PM I'll try and reply whenever I can squeeze in the time to reply :D

Edited by RogueSpear, 30 July 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#45 Rasengetsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCanada, Quebec

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostXinaoen, on 30 July 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

I'm sure that the helpful folks here will be happy to help you fill in the blanks. Don't be shy!

Woot woot, time to type! I saw a few nice looking mechs from googling around, are there any rules to which ones are allowed or not?
Right now I've got Archangel (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Archangel) as a main choice. I'll make my bio based from the specs of my Mech and fill in the blanks after I write up the main points.

#46 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostRasengetsu, on 30 July 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

Woot woot, time to type! I saw a few nice looking mechs from googling around, are there any rules to which ones are allowed or not?
Right now I've got Archangel (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Archangel) as a main choice. I'll make my bio based from the specs of my Mech and fill in the blanks after I write up the main points.

Sadly, the Archangel won't be around for a while! The RP is set in 3044, so you'll want to check the year of introduction (e.g.: Introduced - 3069 for the Archie) before you make your pick.

Edit: GM ninja powers for the win. :D

Edited by Xinaoen, 30 July 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#47 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

Unfortunately the ArchAngel is right out mate, that's a Jihad era mech and we're only in 3044 - that means no clan, Jihad, experimental or even most of the advanced gear!
If you're wondering what mechs are available, you can use the Master Unit List (http://www.masterunitlist.info/MUL) to set the years and tonnage you want to have a look in, and it will tell you what mechs and their variants are available. You'll need to set the advanced search options to Inner Sphere and Battlemechs to narrow down your search appropriately :D
It'll throw up a bunch of results, and you can use Sarna to research what guns and gubbinz they have!

#48 ChaosGrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 881 posts
  • LocationNew Eden

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

First off you should watch that all your mechs are pre 3044 :D That´s where the story takes place. Your Archangel is 3069 so sadly that´s a bit too late :blink:

You should read the Timeline on Sarna for a short overview of major history and then ; Just google around :unsure: I´m shure you´ll find something you like <_<

Edit: Damn you faster people !

Edited by ChaosGrinder, 30 July 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#49 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostRogueSpear, on 30 July 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

I don't mean to come across as aggressively as Vodka has, but since he has rather inelegantly breached the issue (I apologise for my fellow RPer, Vodka is living up to his namesake currently), Dai10 is simply several orders of magnitude above the rest of the party.

:D

I am a simple Swede, I operate on two emotional levels.

Neutral and Berserk.

#50 ChaosGrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 881 posts
  • LocationNew Eden

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Yeah Brolaf :D

#51 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

and there are people who can master stuff in weeks or months to the year. the only issue is they don't commit it to muscle memory. which is why the amnesia actually nerfs my characters fighting ability tremendously. i know people who can see how to do something once and can replicate it. they can't do it in their sleep but they can do it on the first try. without the memory of learning it though my guy can't replicate it using conscious thought. my original character was not designed for balanced rp threads that is why i said i will nerf as necessary. he was designed to be awesome from the start. but in things like this i need good not amazing. so i am using stuff to make it so he will not dominate any fights. plus with my fractured train of thought i should be able to pull a character with a head injury off pretty well.

#52 Rasengetsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCanada, Quebec

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

Oh lawd, just as I was going to ask if there was a way to narrow down the list of around 5 billion mechs a hero shows up and gives it! LOL
Gonna check it out, the more I talk to you guys the more I feel like participating!

#53 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

Yay! I'm a hero!

Dai10, I don't particularly like suggesting this, but if you've designed a character to be OP, you should not use him in a balanced thread. There's a few reasons for this starting with: It's a balanced thread. You have a very powerful character, and you're obviously attached to him. Which is great actually. Character loyalty is a huge force for good RPing. But if you nerf him, you're not going to be playing the superspecialawesome character that you like so much. You're intentionally underpowering him, and that just throws all sorts of spanners in the works of even the best RPers. I've read more than one interview from authors who underpowered a character they loved who found them really hard to write for when they did.
So what I'm suggesting is you write up another character for a balanced RP. It'll still be fun, you can still be a badass, but very importantly, you can still do both without ruining the narratives of your character and the RP.

#54 Rasengetsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCanada, Quebec

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

So if I got this right, only Inner Sphere tech?

#55 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostRasengetsu, on 30 July 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

So if I got this right, only Inner Sphere tech?

Yup!

Edit: what'd I tell ya? Ninja!

Edited by Xinaoen, 30 July 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#56 ChaosGrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 881 posts
  • LocationNew Eden

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

yup.

Edit: There will be a special place in Hell for you Xin >(

Edited by ChaosGrinder, 30 July 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#57 Rasengetsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCanada, Quebec

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

Does that mean no retractable blades? D:

#58 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

if you guys want instead of doing the amnesia thing i will make a more modest background. like i said previously this guy was not designed as a balanced character. as to the hacking stuff governments are idiots about that stuff. i would really just need access to any computer with a link to the coordinators. the advance hacking ability would be rare but not unheard of for someone of my age. so most of the covert ops are not that awesome. i destroy a non-govermental record of all the kuritas, that would not really high priority defense. so as long as the coordinators computer was connected to a network i would not even need to get into the office. i hack traffic control, it would have a decent defense network but if i could break isf encryption i could possibly do it. more likely i just blackmailed someone with access to a comp i could use to mess with it. as for the sword thing, i doubt anyone but the sword's new owner would be allowed to draw the sword, so odds are it broke on the first time it was drawn. that means that the break would not necessarily have to be that subtle. if it was still in the sheath then no one would notice it. as for stealing of the battlemech, seriously i was being screwed over in every way possible, who in their right mind would expect me to steal a battlemech and walk it to a dropship heading off planet. so pretty much my stuff sounds impressive but can easily be explained much more normally.

#59 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

I think they're still an option, but I'm not sure.

#60 Xinaoen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 382 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:31 PM

View PostRasengetsu, on 30 July 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Does that mean no retractable blades? D:

Don't think so. Sorry, dood.

Edit: Whaddaya know? Retractable blades show up on the equipment list for every time period, at least in SSW. They weigh 1.5 tons and take up 2 crits (double that if you want one for each arm). Go ahead, I guess? If it turns out to be anachronistic, we'll just call it a fudge.

Edit 2: Whoops. apparently the weight is variable, based on the weight of the 'Mech. Look it up on the wiki if you need to: http://www.sarna.net...tractable_Blade

View Postdal10, on 30 July 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

if you guys want instead of doing the amnesia thing i will make a more modest background. like i said previously this guy was not designed as a balanced character. as to the hacking stuff governments are idiots about that stuff. i would really just need access to any computer with a link to the coordinators. the advance hacking ability would be rare but not unheard of for someone of my age. so most of the covert ops are not that awesome. i destroy a non-govermental record of all the kuritas, that would not really high priority defense. so as long as the coordinators computer was connected to a network i would not even need to get into the office. i hack traffic control, it would have a decent defense network but if i could break isf encryption i could possibly do it. more likely i just blackmailed someone with access to a comp i could use to mess with it. as for the sword thing, i doubt anyone but the sword's new owner would be allowed to draw the sword, so odds are it broke on the first time it was drawn. that means that the break would not necessarily have to be that subtle. if it was still in the sheath then no one would notice it. as for stealing of the battlemech, seriously i was being screwed over in every way possible, who in their right mind would expect me to steal a battlemech and walk it to a dropship heading off planet. so pretty much my stuff sounds impressive but can easily be explained much more normally.

I don't personally have any issues with anybody playing the character that he wants to play, but it does sound like a few of your teammates might appreciate it if you toned it down a bit. Do what you want, though.

Edited by Xinaoen, 30 July 2012 - 02:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users