7732 replies to this topic

#281 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

View PostBrenden, on 08 December 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

Could I post a picture of a Clint on here?

Only if it's concept art.

#282 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

View PostCake Bandit, on 08 December 2011 - 12:38 PM, said:

My third thought is have you accidentally selected the layer mask itself to paint white? That happens from time to time. I address that in the next video a little. It's at 50% and has been uploading since roughly seven in the morning.

That was it. Now I feel *proper* stupid.

Edit: The only thing I can't seem to get right is the merging layers when you add a 'decal'. When I hit Merge Down there is no Preserve option and it ends up looking like... well this:

Posted Image

Edited by lahyenne, 08 December 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#283 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:37 PM

I'm trying to follow your steps in Photoshop, but for some reason, soft light isn't lightening it nearly as much as your video shows it, and it won't let me apply paint to the paint layer. Or, if it does, I don't actually see it on the mech at all.

#284 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

My first attempt....

Posted Image

#285 Cake Bandit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 500 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHipsterland, USA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 08 December 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

I'm trying to follow your steps in Photoshop, but for some reason, soft light isn't lightening it nearly as much as your video shows it, and it won't let me apply paint to the paint layer. Or, if it does, I don't actually see it on the mech at all.

Check to make sure you're not painting on the blending layer itself.

View Postlahyenne, on 08 December 2011 - 05:12 PM, said:

That was it. Now I feel *proper* stupid.

Edit: The only thing I can't seem to get right is the merging layers when you add a 'decal'. When I hit Merge Down there is no Preserve option and it ends up looking like... well this:

Posted Image

Yeah, this isn't right. Are you merging down just the logo and not all the layers?

Another option is to set your logo to multiply and select the area it covers. Move down to your paint layer and delete the paint there to make it perfectly transparent.

#286 warpig07

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

my first time trying this (many thanks to cake bandits video!) some rough edges but not too bad imho for a first try ;)

Posted Image

#287 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostCake Bandit, on 08 December 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

Check to make sure you're not painting on the blending layer itself.

Yeah, this isn't right. Are you merging down just the logo and not all the layers?

Another option is to set your logo to multiply and select the area it covers. Move down to your paint layer and delete the paint there to make it perfectly transparent.

After I finish placing the logo it makes it a separate layer? Then when I merge that down it combines the top two, the result is... well you know.

#288 Flawless

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

View PostCake Bandit, on 06 December 2011 - 10:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

Lol, as a UPS employee, This is now my official desktop wallpaper.

#289 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

That was pretty fun! Once I figured out why the colors were not appearing, anyways. Just my first attempt, trying to mimic the Alpha Galaxy colors onto a Jenner, but I didn't attempt the logo applications.

Posted Image

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 08 December 2011 - 09:45 PM.

#290 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:16 AM

100!

This edit is a special one, as it represents my 100th completed edit. This is quite the milestone from just under a month and a half ago when I started this endeavor. I am thankful to the supportive members of the Battletech Community (including all of you on the forums) for their encouragement, and Alex Iglesias and Piranha Games for the use of their wonderful concept art.

I wanted this to be something special, and taking into account a suggestion from a compatriot, I decided to do a Star League Era 'mech. It didn't take me long to decide which 'mech to do.

General Aaron DeChavilier was the second in command of the SLDF, participating in the final assault on Unity City (only a few hours drive from Piranha's studios in Vancouver) and there famously pushing over the palace walls as Kerensky piloted his Orion toward the Palace to capture Amaris and end the conflict.

I should note that the image is only my conjecture at how the 'mech would appear, as information on it is rather scarce.
Posted Image

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Hayden, 09 December 2011 - 04:16 AM.

#291 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:11 AM

For some reason, that really simple olive scheme appeals to me greatly. Nice job Hayden. Congrats on 100! :ph34r:

#292 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

Oh, to have photoshop I could repaint these and post them, maybe even have some firing.
But, suppose I make it myself, could I post some concept art of the Clint or Shadow Hawk on here?

#293 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

View PostBrenden, on 09 December 2011 - 08:30 AM, said:

Oh, to have photoshop I could repaint these and post them, maybe even have some firing.
But, suppose I make it myself, could I post some concept art of the Clint or Shadow Hawk on here?

Well, as it stands this particular thread is just for redoing existing concept art from Piranha. If you have your own original art, why not make a thread for it in the art section? But if you're modifying Piranha concept art, by all means post it up here :ph34r:

#294 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

So this Atlas is a Lt. Commander of the Enterprise? =D
I mean the 3 Dots on his "collar" ^^

#295 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

View PostAndar89, on 09 December 2011 - 09:01 AM, said:

So this Atlas is a Lt. Commander of the Enterprise? =D
I mean the 3 Dots on his "collar" ^^

Haha, or a General in the SLDF, on a person they'd be worn on epaulets (I put them in the "appropriate" position as well, if you look) but I reasoned that they wouldn't be visible by others. I really just put them on for "flash", like it might be something they'd want to display. The SLDF paint scheme lacks a lot of the flash, compared to others, so I was trying to personalize it, but I really lack a lot of information about this particular 'mech, so I had to work with what I know.

Edit: ...and what I know is that the pilot was a General :ph34r:

Edited by Hayden, 09 December 2011 - 09:21 AM.

#296 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

Just by the way, have you ever tried to make a franken mech from those concepts? I don't ask for some Atlas with Dragon head and 5 AC/20s, just some edits that will look fresh and not just Hunchback IIC, Jenner without rockets, or Dragon with double barrel. Thanks. :ph34r:

#297 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

View PostAdridos, on 09 December 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

Just by the way, have you ever tried to make a franken mech from those concepts? I don't ask for some Atlas with Dragon head and 5 AC/20s, just some edits that will look fresh and not just Hunchback IIC, Jenner without rockets, or Dragon with double barrel. Thanks. :P

Yeah, the big problem with this is the amount of editing I would need to do. To make something really "different" yet canonical... yeah, I've done about all I want to at this juncture. All the kitbashes I've done so far are basically representative of official variants, which I prefer because there is less editing, and because I want to keep things close to the source material. Also, I wanted to give the clanners something to look at. So unfortunately, I have no plans to do that kind of editing. :blink:

But maybe others do? It's a big forum :ph34r:

EDIT: On that note, I'm taking a break from this until Piranha puts out more concept art. You guys probably need a break from my stuff, and I have other things I should work on.

Edited by Hayden, 09 December 2011 - 10:39 AM.

#298 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

I'm no Hayden, but I've gotten a start on an Atlas.

Pretty basic, haven't gone crazy with the detail (no unit insignia and warning spots or anything yet). I'm pretty happy with how the "bloody feet" turned out though. :blink:
Posted Image

edit: tweaked a few things, added the FRR insignia, and a crappy unit one I whipped up for a possible change over to being a merc instead of house unit. That's a Kurita dragon with an axe in it's decapitated head. :ph34r:

Edited by Dihm, 09 December 2011 - 12:25 PM.

#299 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

Nice sig change, Hayden :ph34r:

And nice work everyone else, the mechs are great! (Really dig the olive green Atlas.)

Edited by Jack Gallows, 09 December 2011 - 11:40 AM.

#300 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

Could anyone hook me up with a .psd of a mask for the Dragon? Everytime I try it on my end I end up getting these large areas where it didn't get the Selection right.

61 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 61 guests, 0 anonymous users