#781 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Dark one looks a lot nicer.

#782 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Oh IronHawk, the purple guy can be found in this thread:

What comes first? The multiple sketches or the colored art for the mechs?

page1 post #18 B)

#783 Ironhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

View PostHartsblade, on 01 February 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

Oh IronHawk, the purple guy can be found in this thread: What comes first? The multiple sketches or the colored art for the mechs? page1 post #18 B)

LMAO! Now I got it. Can't believe I missed that. So funny!

#784 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostHartsblade, on 01 February 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

Okay took a stab at this one, but Ironhawk don't let that stop you...I'm sure Punk won't mind more then one look for his 'mech B) . Two versions (only slightly different) one light one dark...

Hartsblade, ya beat me to it! Nice stuff! The idea of putting the 25th MM insignia on top is dead on, leaving ample room for the Inouye Man to shine on that shield. Dark one is better.

Punk has talent. I am sure he can catch on quickly if he uses Hayden's templates from page 16 (I assume he didn't use them).

#785 Waylandx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 273 posts
  • LocationAt the computer!

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Optimus Prime!?! Its time to ROLL OUT!!!!!

#786 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

I like the darker one too, but I wantedto give him a choice.

#787 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

A Look Back At January...

New month, new opportunity to reflect upon the recent past... Put things into perspective.

First, I am going to say this: I never thought I'd be doing so much of that repaint art! Could never have guessed. Aside from our Hula and Urbie lovin' buds at PG and so many talented people on this thread, two people more specifically inspired me: one is easy to guess. It's Hayden. Hayden, sir, your production and rigor are an example to us all. Sharing the templates and insignia work is mighty generous as well. I am sure I speak on behalf of many to say that you are an inspiring force. Hats off! Also, my buddy Thunderbird, who has been working for years on countless miniatures from Games Workshop and others, doing wonders at small scale (crafty fella'), has inspired me with his tenacity and hard, relentless work.

Figured in early Jan I'd make a couple of poster art posts this month... and I ended up doing repaints and not counting them. Looking back here are what I think should be on top 3 among my little art pieces for the month (with the links for those who may have not seen the earlier ones):
  • View on coast battle from Vulture cockpit interior (#537)
  • Delivered cold poster with the UrbanMech (#614)
  • Yen Lo Wang in the Coliseum scene (#720)
Can't guarantee same production rate for Feb, but I'll definitely be back on this thread often enough.

Thanks for reading.

#788 L zard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 354 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Ironhawk,

You really need to add the AH sites addy to your sig. Be a bit easier to find, eh?

#789 Punk KMSD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

View PostIronhawk, on 01 February 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Hartsblade, ya beat me to it! Nice stuff! The idea of putting the 25th MM insignia on top is dead on, leaving ample room for the Inouye Man to shine on that shield. Dark one is better.

Punk has talent. I am sure he can catch on quickly if he uses Hayden's templates from page 16 (I assume he didn't use them).

Talent? Maybe. I'm no good with layers tho, and I don't have a prog that does them as well as PS. I'd actually like to see what I did with all the red replaced with Purple, so, actually a closer version to what is the cannon 25th MM paint scheme, leaving the black and white areas from my inital design, plus my Inouye Man, Lance + motto + W.

View PostHartsblade, on 01 February 2012 - 06:31 PM, said:

I like the darker one too, but I wantedto give him a choice.

They both look killer, but ya the darker one looks more mencing. If I can look that mencing on the battlefield, maybe my CO will look past my shoty piloting. B) Awesome job man.

#790 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hey Punk have you tried Gimp?

#791 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

May I ask how you do it..? What program.. etc..

BTW GREAT work !!! It looks like you have the original model or blank artwork to start from..

I can't even think of getting close to this..

#792 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

If you guys want a REAL challenge, come up with an FD-style UrbanMech... taking out an Atlas with a critical hit (IE. similar to the Critical Hit card in the CCG. And yes I know it wasn't an Atlas there B))

#793 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 02 February 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

If you guys want a REAL challenge, come up with an FD-style UrbanMech... taking out an Atlas with a critical hit (IE. similar to the Critical Hit card in the CCG. And yes I know it wasn't an Atlas there B))

No, not mine, but what came to mind

Spoiler

#794 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

View PostChuckie, on 02 February 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

May I ask how you do it..? What program.. etc..

BTW GREAT work !!! It looks like you have the original model or blank artwork to start from..

I can't even think of getting close to this..

I can't speak for the other artists, but before I start mine I actually "clean" them as best as I can. Remove any decals or strong non-gray-scale coloring. I've been releasing templates for people to work off, you can find them on this thread if you want to use them.

If you guys want a REAL challenge, come up with an FD-style UrbanMech... taking out an Atlas with a critical hit (IE. similar to the Critical Hit card in the CCG. And yes I know it wasn't an Atlas there ;))

...I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna go one above doing it. Give me a couple days.

ED: Still posting to page 37 until I fill it.

Edited by Hayden, 02 February 2012 - 10:15 AM.

#795 Darrin Thomason

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBuckingham, UK

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hello, I am a long time admirer of this thread, even though I have not really posted anywhere else.
I think the work done by Hayden and Ironwork has been spectacular. As a result I decided tonight that I would give this a go.
I have never really used photoshop or anything like this before and used Esentials as that was what opened Haydens wonderful templates.

I have done a Jenner in the colours of the Taurian Concordat 1st Taurian Pride I picked up the 24 symbol which was quite hard to see and I don't link the end product of that. Please let me have your feedback

Posted Image

Here is a Hunchback in Concordat Commandos paint scheme, didn't like the red at first but I think it sets it off nice now
Posted Image

I have tried to work in insignias on this one, however, I think I might need some tips.
Here is a go at an Atlas from the 5th Oriente Hussars
Posted Image

The next is a Fire Mandrill Hunchback iic, went middle ground with a bit darker orange and a grey rather than back as I felt the black obsurced too much, had problems with the insignia so gave up, might attempt it again when I have more patiance
Posted Image
Decided to surf Camospecs and found out about the Black Lions Co-operative (the oldest co-op on Solaris) and thought the Catapult would look cool painted along those lines. I debated about making the nose purpule but decided against it.
Posted Image
Found the brilliantly painted 3rd Drakons on camospecs and did an attempt at an atlas.
Posted Image
As much as I think the atlas' above are poor, I am really liking the 2nd Freemen (FRR) Hunchback below which I have done, the Rune on the AC means 'gift' and the two on the centre torso mean 'joy' and 'ride'Posted Image
Hiritsu Catapult - The specs said green with silver and then black trim, I could not get the look of the minitures so I went with silver trim with black to a lesser extent
Posted Image
Harloc Raiders Atlas next, the silver band around the middle signifies that they used to be mercs. I went and highlighted the legs and the weapons ports. It has also eaten a few lesser mechs and has coolant around his mouth.
Posted Image
House Imarra Jenner next up using the hex color for ivory and jade green, with gold accents.
Posted Image

Edited by Darrin Thomason, 03 February 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#796 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Those look good, Darrin. Nicely done. The red on the Jenner could be darkened a little bit, unless that's exactly the effect you were going for, and then it's just right. ;)

#797 Darrin Thomason

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationBuckingham, UK

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi Kay, thanks. I was taking a stab to try and get it close to the image on http://www.camospecs...ure.asp?ID=3275 which looked quite bright, but yes I think it could do with a little tone down.

#798 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostDarrin Thomason, on 02 February 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

Hello, I am a long time admirer of this thread, even though I have not really posted anywhere else.
I think the work done by Hayden and Ironwork has been spectacular. As a result I decided tonight that I would give this a go.
I have never really used photoshop or anything like this before and used Esentials as that was what opened Haydens wonderful templates.

Awesome first try Darrin. Much better then my first attempt :-) Hope to see more!

#799 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

If you guys want a REAL challenge, come up with an FD-style UrbanMech... taking out an Atlas with a critical hit (IE. similar to the Critical Hit card in the CCG. And yes I know it wasn't an Atlas there ;))

Hmmm... Sounds like Atlas Hunting. I am in.

#800 BlueDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Great work everyone, really digging Yen Lo Wang and the other Centurion repaints.

I put together a paint scheme for the merc corp I and some friends are putting together, the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, using FD's planar view Catapult. My skills are still novice, and working with these 2D views is easier. I think it turned out better than my previous effort, let me know what you think.

Posted Image

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users