ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 28 January 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

I assume they could be mediums since the other novels i have read describe the large lasers as green..
But with those machine guns taking so few tons i would bet they are LLs.

So why not a Ballistic/Energy Battlemaster like this? :mellow:

Hanse Davions BLR was 3025 tech. It carried a standard 340 engine, which was massive. Battlemasters were alway undergunned in TT, largely because of that engine. Standard loadout of the 1G was 4 forward facing mediums, 2 rear, 1 srm6 a ppc and 2 mg. The Davion version dropped the srms and rear lasers for more armor and 6 more SHS. No way it was packing larges.

Not that it would stop PGI from releasing a slower version with larges, or a version with new tech added.

View PostNathan Foxbane, on 28 January 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

Page 258 of Warrior: Coupe "Tall and humanoid, with a massive, pistol-like PPC in its left hand..."
Same page when engaging a Panther and then a Marauder: "The PPC in the Battlemaster's left fist cored the aft armor on a Panther..." and "A Marauder turned around to face him. It stabbed one massive arm in his direction, but Hanse angrily batted it aside with the Battlemaster's right hand."
Page 259: "Hanse dropped his targeting crosshairs onto one Locust and fired all four of his forward lasers."
Describing Hanse's Battlemaster in part during the Death Commando/ComStar raid on New Avalon. We learn it has a left hand PPC, and four forward firing lasers and at least one rearward firing laser. No SRMs are ever fired and no Machine Guns fire in the fight. So either Starbird has changed since The Sword and The Dagger, or Hanse swapped his old ride for a lefty BLR-1G and went into battle with no ammo. Or Stackpole completely derped on where the PPC was mounted.

Posted Image

from the MW first edition handbook. Pretty sure he based it off that picture, and just didn't proofread it.

#5082 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 January 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

For those who don't want to read the whole book, I will transcribe here the parts about the Battlemaster:

Chapter 35
Spoiler

Chapter 37
Spoiler

So, what we know about the mech:
- it has more than one laser and more than one machine gun.
- it also has at least one laser in the arm (along with several other weapons).

The book describes all lasers in red color, so they are not necessarily small lasers.

also, the overall proofreading and continuity errors in TSatD are legion, so I would not read too much into the laser in the arm thing. Unless he had a torso laser swapped for the halibut. It's like the "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" of the Battletech fiction universe. Was written so early into the creation of the game world that it almost could be said to be non canon in much of it's fluff.

I would say that Hanse's BLR was a simple 1D, or one with a laser moved.

#5083 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

I guess we could do something like this:
1 Large Energy + 1Balistic in each arm with 2 energy in the torsos.
(Say PPC/LL+MG in each arm and 2ML in each torso, maybe 2ML in the CT too)

Or you wait for the clantech and add the Red corsair's Battlemaster (2 Cerppcs)

#5084 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:17 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 January 2014 - 09:48 PM, said:

also, the overall proofreading and continuity errors in TSatD are legion, so I would not read too much into the laser in the arm thing. Unless he had a torso laser swapped for the halibut. It's like the "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" of the Battletech fiction universe. Was written so early into the creation of the game world that it almost could be said to be non canon in much of it's fluff.

I would say that Hanse's BLR was a simple 1D, or one with a laser moved.

It might be a simple 1D, but why not use these characteristics to make a new (hero) Battlemaster?
Many people will certainly want to pilot the Hanse's ride.

View PostMark Hayden, on 28 January 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

I can't help but notice the similarities between the load out you describe (in particular the lack of a missile rack) and the appearance of the BattleMaster on the cover of The Sword and the Dagger. Makes me wonder if that's your Starbird?

It is the only Battlemaster in the book, so it must be the Hanse Davion's mech. (tough that painting is boring)

PS: do you see a laser in the center torso?

Edited by Odanan, 29 January 2014 - 04:23 AM.

#5085 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:28 AM

And Hayden, I hope PGI will continue to release IS hero mechs during the Clan "Invasion", even if along Clan heroes.

There are still several mechs to apply, enough for the whole year of 2015: Quickdraw, Trebuchet, Blackjack, Raven, Spider and the Phoenix bunch. (that will keep us freebirths spending money)

Edited by Odanan, 29 January 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#5086 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

Getting us back on track...

Posted Image

This Fox Hunts!

3,000 points if you can tell me what book this is paying homage to (Hint: there's a sister image to this that I can't release yet).

ED: And another for the road.
Posted Image

Edited by Hayden, 29 January 2014 - 06:08 AM.

#5087 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,685 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostHayden, on 29 January 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Posted Image

This Fox Hunts!

3,000 points if you can tell me what book this is paying homage to (Hint: there's a sister image to this that I can't release yet).

Mmh.. I may be one of the Succession Wars era books which i have missed. The only notable Blackjacks i remember are one of the Gray Death Legion on Verthandi and Subcommander's Maurice Fitzgerald of the St.Ives Compact seen in the Capellan Solution series. But he was not a Fed-Com pilot..

#5088 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 29 January 2014 - 06:07 AM, said:

Mmh.. I may be one of the Succession Wars era books which i have missed. The only notable Blackjacks i remember are one of the Gray Death Legion on Verthandi and Subcommander's Maurice Fitzgerald of the St.Ives Compact seen in the Capellan Solution series. But he was not a Fed-Com pilot..

More obscure. The pattern and colors are based off an old scenario book, the 'mech in question was originally a wolverine, but since I can't pass that around just yet...

#5089 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:34 AM

View PostHayden, on 29 January 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

More obscure. The pattern and colors are based off an old scenario book, the 'mech in question was originally a wolverine, but since I can't pass that around just yet...

Then I recall only one relevant book: 'Fourth Succession War Scenarios Vol. 1' - it has brown wolverine with fox head and 57th number (B-157)

Edit: picture from sarna.net

Posted Image

Edited by Featherwood, 29 January 2014 - 06:37 AM.

#5090 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostFeatherwood, on 29 January 2014 - 06:34 AM, said:

Then I recall only one relevant book: 'Fourth Succession War Scenarios Vol. 1' - it has brown wolverine with fox head and 57th number (B-157)

Edit: picture from sarna.net

Posted Image

Well played, sir :)

#5091 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostHayden, on 29 January 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

This Fox Hunts!

ED: And another for the road.

He is back!!!

#5092 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostOdanan, on 29 January 2014 - 04:17 AM, said:

PS: do you see a laser in the center torso?

more likely a sensor package.

I do agree it would be nice to get a distinct versions for Davion. As for paint, IDK; I'd be happy with the Davion Guards scheme on it. But since most of the units weren't even conceived, let alone fleshed out when that book was made, *shrugs*

Of course, looking at a lot of the covers and writeups from the books in the 90s, continuity and quality control were never highpoints for FASA

#5093 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

View PostHayden, on 29 January 2014 - 06:50 AM, said:

Well played, sir :)

The pleasure was mine, sir :D

#5094 Featherwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

Good news, everyone! PGI has silently updated the promo-page of Clan pack collections and among other changes there were added OmniMechs pictures of better quality. For comparison:
(old picture from MWO facebook page)
Posted Image
(new picture from updated Clan package promo page)
Posted Image

I foresee more cool repaints coming!

P.S. Please use transparent background for OmniMechs repaints.

#5095 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:06 AM

View PostFeatherwood, on 30 January 2014 - 02:03 AM, said:

Good news, everyone! PGI has silently updated the promo-page of Clan pack collections and among other changes there were added OmniMechs pictures of better quality.

Thanks!

#5096 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

Nice... now just to wait for the masters to do their work with templates! Be good to start using some of the downtime I'll have soon for more repaints.

By the way, do we know if the concept art that's associated with the brand new chassis next week will also be released for us to go to town on?

#5097 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:59 AM

View PostApostal, on 30 January 2014 - 04:51 AM, said:

By the way, do we know if the concept art that's associated with the brand new chassis next week will also be released for us to go to town on?

Let's hope they release the new IS light mech concept art in the next few days - tomorrow would be great.

I need something to do this weekend after finishing my Battlemaster "Starbird" repaint. ;)

#5098 Mark Hayden

Texture Artist

• 63 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - St. Ives Academy of Military Sciences, Faculty of Heraldry Building, Room 205

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:06 AM

View PostApostal, on 30 January 2014 - 04:51 AM, said:

*looks into this*

#5099 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:10 AM

View PostMark Hayden, on 30 January 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

*looks into this*

Da man.

#5100 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:11 AM

OK, here is my rendition of the Battlemaster "Starbird", Hanse Davion's mech:
Posted Image
I removed the SRM box and added a painting to emulate the Battlemaster from the book's cover:
Spoiler

Edited by Odanan, 30 January 2014 - 08:21 AM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users