How is this an MMO?

132 replies to this topic

#121 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostTB Azrael, on 08 August 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

no a presistent game world is part of what makes an mmorpg. This is technically 'massive' because at one time there could be several thousand people connected - though I do agree I've always thought match games stretched the definition a lot. And as stated once the universe part gets up and running it will be more of a persistent world.

It is generalizable to the broader set of MMOs. Here we can apply it to statistics tracking and pilot/mech customization.

#122 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image

Brace yourselves, it begins again.

#123 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

View PostIronWolf Vascus, on 08 August 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

Brace yourselves, it begins again.

Unfortunately, the thread has reached the point where a lot of people don't actually read the preceding arguments, and thus the cycle continues, on and on until the world is swallowed by the fires of a raging sun.

#124 The Helepolis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 243 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostScytale, on 08 August 2012 - 09:01 PM, said:

Unfortunately, the thread has reached the point where a lot of people don't actually read the preceding arguments, and thus the cycle continues, on and on until the world is swallowed by the fires of a raging sun.

This thread really needs to get necro'd, let it die and finish its years in peace!

#125 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

View PostIndigoHawk, on 08 August 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

MOG, MMORPG, MMO.....................................................................................................................These are all wrong, this game is TBN,

Posted Image

THE BADGER'S NADGER'S !!!

so stop arguing and start Beta'ing, all of u!

BADGERBADGERBADGERBADGERMushroomMushroom!!!!

#126 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

After reading 7(?!) pages of this... Note to the marketing dpt. -> It DOES matter if you call a game an MMO. People expect certain things when you use that acronym, no matter how the various people above haggle the semantics of it. Marketing a game as an MMO, when it is basically an INSTANCED shooter with a player currency element, and especially with the more MMO'y league aspects to only come months after release (I suspect scaled to the releases is profitability)... is embarrassing.

Regardless of what it's called i'll be playing for sure. The game looks great so far. But it would be best to not use this term to avoid massive disappointment from the world that exists outside of the MW community.

Hell, even Arenanet wouldn't call GW1 an MMO, but did add those elements in GW2 and thus market that as MMO (correctly).

#127 Harlock Fredrick

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts
  • LocationMissoula Montana

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

MMO is a Multi Massive Online game

#128 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostMcGamer, on 08 August 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

I am a big Mechwarrior fan, but I fail to see how this game classifies as an mmo? First off, there looks to be nothing persistent about the gameworld and there are no pilot avatars either. The list goes on from there, but unfortunately this game is looking to be a glorified deathmatch with lobby.

This is not a troll post, it is an honest question from a long-time fan of the original video-games, PnP games and novels.

Pilot avatars dont a mmo make. EVE Online was a MMO for years and we couldnt leave our pods. It didnt just bevome a MMO last summer

#129 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

View Postsokitumi, on 08 August 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

After reading 7(?!) pages of this... Note to the marketing dpt. -> It DOES matter if you call a game an MMO

Hell, even Arenanet wouldn't call GW1 an MMO, but did add those elements in GW2 and thus market that as MMO (correctly).

World of Tanks is a MMO.... It has less persistance than this is planned to have.

Funny though, Arenanet didnt call it a mmo but

The games in the Guild Wars series were critically well received[5][6][7][8] and won many editor's choice awards, as well as awards such as Best Value, Best Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG), and Best Game

it still won a best mmorpg award. Maybe it DOESNT matter what you call it.
Especislly in a beta when 50-75% of the game isnt even in yet -,-

Edited by 514yer, 08 August 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#130 Hexcaliber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

View PostNinja Thor, on 08 August 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

Very well said friend.

He did not say it, he cut n paste it from one of the blogs.

I would suggest a large proportion of this community needs to read a few Dev blogs, start here http://mwomercs.com/...mmunity-warfare and work your way through them. Far too many people seem to have no concept whatsoever what this title will offer once out of beta, this games scope is huge

Edited by Hexcaliber, 08 August 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#131 NVranya

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

First off,I admit, I didn't read all the pages. :rolleyes:

But where is it said that this is an MMO?
It's online yes, but who said massive?

#132 Hayashi

Snowflake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Russ Bullock said:

The end result is that we expect to have each of the features we have announced and discussed on the web site in the game by the Open Beta date with one unfortunate exception. That exception is the Community Warfare pillar; it’s a big system and extremely important to us however we did not want to delay the game especially when it is something that can so logically be added onto the product post launch. That way we can get everyone playing this summer as planned having a great time working on their Mech and pilot trees, then the depth of Community Warfare will be added into the game. I don’t have an exact projected release of the Community Warfare feature set but we fully expect to have the core of the community experience in the game within 90 days of open beta.

It's not done yet...

Please read the announcements...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users